Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

May 2011 Make-Your-Own Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 06:03 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: May 2011 Make-Your-Own Challenge Discussion Thread

In my comedy A to Z, when it comes to X, I might have to try and sneak Xanadu in. That's the closest one I could fine and I'm sure there's got to be something funny about it.
Old 04-27-11, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm barely watching anything this year, but I'd like to get back on board a bit.

Had a New Year's Resolution to watch one Criterion and one TV season a week, and I'm way behind on the TV part. I might pick 20 shorter seasons/BBC series and try to get through them to catch back up.

Not as creative as I would like, but I'm more OCD about my resolutions than anything else right now.
Welcome back, Trevor!
Old 04-27-11, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
As for the radio shows, as I said in my initial post in this thread, "You're in charge of your own Challenge, so you make the rules." Personally, I think it's a great idea to include voice work (radio, animation, spoken word albums) for an Actor Challenge (especially if it's an actor with a great, distinctive voice like Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, or Jimmy Stewart).
For those interested, I would strongly recommend the Warner Archive Collection Podcast, which is a collection of golden age radio broadcasts related to their films from the time. Most of the recordings are from radio dramatizations of films, often with the same cast (but not always). Given that the Warner Archive titles are devoid of bonus content, this podcast might be a nice supplement if your challenge revolves around actors or productions from that era.

As for me, I'm strongly leaning toward a comic book theme. I'd like to aspire to something more thoughtful, but I've just really got the itch right now. I'd love to get the Superman Blu-ray box set in June, but that won't be happening so I'm thinking about gorging on my Superman DVDs to get my Super-fix for the time being. Aside from that, there are several movies based on comic books available for streaming from Netflix that I still haven't gotten around to seeing, and this could be a nice impetus. Plus, Free Comic Book Day is in May. Besides, I can still incorporate some of my other movie-watching ambitions into other challenges throughout the year. There are more to comics than just superheroes, too, so there's still some room for variety (Ghost World, Persepolis, From Hell just offhand).
Old 04-28-11, 05:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always go and visit a friend a few weeks a year (sometimes twice for a few weeks) and badly planned it for the last 2 weeks of May this year (does it mean I have a problem if I was trying to go in June instead because I prefer this challenge over the historical challenge?)

Anyways I think what I'm going to do is use the first part of the month to clean up my tivo so it has plenty of space to tape stuff while I'm gone... meaning anything that has been sitting on there forever and also keep current with the stuff I am watching now.

The second part of the month I'm not really sure.. just might make it whatever my friend or her children pick type thing, or might have to talk her into focusing on gorging through a series with me.
Old 04-28-11, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
As for me, I'm strongly leaning toward a comic book theme. I'd like to aspire to something more thoughtful, but I've just really got the itch right now. I'd love to get the Superman Blu-ray box set in June, but that won't be happening so I'm thinking about gorging on my Superman DVDs to get my Super-fix for the time being. Aside from that, there are several movies based on comic books available for streaming from Netflix that I still haven't gotten around to seeing, and this could be a nice impetus. Plus, Free Comic Book Day is in May. Besides, I can still incorporate some of my other movie-watching ambitions into other challenges throughout the year. There are more to comics than just superheroes, too, so there's still some room for variety (Ghost World, Persepolis, From Hell just offhand).
I can't recall if I mentioned this in an earlier post or not, but there's tons of live-action Japanese films and TV shows based on manga that would qualify for your challenge, e.g. the "Lone Wolf & Cub" films, "Lady Snowblood," "20th Century Boys," "Nana 1 & 2," "Shadow Hunters," etc. There are live-action "Fist of the North Star" and "Crying Freeman" films, too. Plus several Hong Kong films based on Hong Kong comics, "Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre," "Storm Riders," etc.
Old 04-28-11, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by HyperWeather
(does it mean I have a problem if I was trying to go in June instead because I prefer this challenge over the historical challenge?)

The second part of the month I'm not really sure.. just might make it whatever my friend or her children pick type thing, or might have to talk her into focusing on gorging through a series with me.
"Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?"

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I can't recall if I mentioned this in an earlier post or not, but there's tons of live-action Japanese films and TV shows based on manga that would qualify for your challenge...
I might try to dabble in some of that world, but right now I'm still plenty behind on the stuff I already know interests me. Maybe in August for the Animation Challenge I'll try to take a look at some anime.
Old 04-28-11, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've decided to watch films/TV shows that deal with the radio and TV business for my challenge. Any suggestions for lesser-known films would be welcome.
Old 04-29-11, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
I've decided to watch films/TV shows that deal with the radio and TV business for my challenge. Any suggestions for lesser-known films would be welcome.
It's hard to know from titles alone which would fit your theme, but here's a filtered list of search results from IMDb that might help.

As for me, I talked it over with my wife last night and she's okay with a Based on Comics theme. Here's what I've decided are my challenge rules:

Comic books and comic strips are both eligible for consideration. For instance, Dick Tracy was originally a comic strip character. Netflix has recently added The Dick Tracy Show to streaming and I've never seen it so that's eligible.

Content about the comic book world is also eligible, so documentaries (like Comic Book Confidential are in, as well as movies like Comic Book Villains, which is a comedy about a pair of comic book store rivals.

Movies/TV shows are not eligible if the property came before a comic book presence. So, even though there are numerous Star Wars and Transformers comics, those franchises began as movies and toys, respectively.

Standard TV:movie conversion formula rules apply (2 hours broadcast time = 1 movie).

I am allowing myself to watch bonus content, and am counting it by the standard 2 hour conversion rule. So if I watch four 15 minute featurettes and two behind-the-scenes features, that's worth 1 entry.

Commentary tracks count as a separate viewing.

The emphasis will be on movies and TV shows I have never seen, but that won't be a formal restriction. I already know I intend to re-watch a lot of Superman content, for instance.

I will allow myself three wild cards for tangential movies. For instance, Adventures in Babysitting isn't about comic books, but there is a little girl obsessed with Thor, and that's a recurring theme/gag with a funny pay-off scene. It's possible that a local theater might be doing a midnight screening of that in May, and if I can attend, I'll count that.

Lastly, I'm hopeful that I can make it out to a local comic shop next Saturday for Free Comic Book Day, and I'd like to go through my comics library and read some of them. I won't even try to create any kind of conversion formula to count any of that, but I do intend to track my comics reading for the month along with my viewing totals, and to post reviews/remarks about them in the comics sub-forum (I'll be sure to bump appropriate threads rather than start all new ones).
Old 04-29-11, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of the films I watched for the B-movie challenge is UP IN THE AIR (1940), a lowbrow Monogram comedy about shenanigans at a radio station. A similar one is WHO DONE IT? (1942), an Abbott & Costello comedy about murder at a radio station with a mystery show being the focus of it.

Others, off the top of my head:

WAKE UP AND LIVE (1937) radio - Walter Winchell is in this
THE HUCKSTERS (1947) radio
THE GREAT MAN (1956) TV
A FACE IN THE CROWD (1957) TV
THE THRILL OF IT ALL (1963) TV
FEAR ON TRIAL (1975/TV movie) TV
NETWORK (1976) TV
THE FRONT (1976) TV
GOOD NIGHT,AND GOOD LUCK (2005) TV

There were tons of radio-themed movies in the 1930s, mostly just successions of musical acts. There was a series of BIG BROADCAST films that starred, in different films, Bing Crosby, W.C. Fields and Bob Hope.

In the serial, ATOM MAN VS. SUPERMAN (1950), Lex Luthor goes "straight" and runs Metropolis's sole TV station, going so far as to hire Lois Lane away from the Daily Planet to work as a reporter doing live man-on-the-street interviews.
Old 04-29-11, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Here are a few lesser known TV series:

"Good Morning World" (1 season, 1967-68)
"Buffalo Bill" (1 season, 1983-84)
"The Comeback" (1 short season, 2005)
"Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" (1 season, 2006-07)

Red Skelton did several films playing a radio actor, Wally Benton, better known to his fans as that intrepid crime-solver "The Fox". They do not exactly "deal with the radio and tv business" but the lead character *does* work in the business and it's key to the plots.

They are:

"Whistling in the Dark" (1941)
"Whistling in Dixie" (1942)
"Whistling in Brookland" (1943)

Don't forget "UHF" (1989) or "Airheads" (1994).

Plus a serial "Phantom Empire" (1935). Gene Autry plays a singing cowboy of the same name, who runs Radio Ranch, a dude ranch from which he makes a daily live radio broadcast at 2pm. The plot hinges on his ability to make that broadcast every day to avoid losing the ranch thus allowing the "Muranians" easy access to the surface world or the "bad guys" to get the radium which powers the underground civilization. It doesn't deal with the business directly but it, again, is a key plot element.
Old 04-29-11, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, as we come down to the wire I'm torn between "Movie Serials" (Saturday Matinee "Cliffhangers" and films/TV shows directly inspired by or based on the art form) and "Bob Hope Films" (films with Bob Hope in a starring role).
Old 04-30-11, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Well, as we come down to the wire I'm torn between "Movie Serials" (Saturday Matinee "Cliffhangers" and films/TV shows directly inspired by or based on the art form) and "Bob Hope Films" (films with Bob Hope in a starring role).
Do both: two weeks of serials and two weeks of Bob Hope. Everybody wins.
Old 04-30-11, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmsmath
I leaning toward copying what HotThang did last year with a One Degree of Separation challenge. Obviously, I have to start with a Kevin Bacon movie and if I'm organized enough, I'll end with one also, but I doubt I can ever plan it out well enough for that to happen.
I'm leaning towards this as well - basically looking for the variety of films and this one is pretty easy for me to get that. Guess I have a few more hours to finally decide!
Old 04-30-11, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
Do both: two weeks of serials and two weeks of Bob Hope. Everybody wins.
Or do both concurrently. That's what I finally decided to do with my two themes so I'd have more variety in what I was watching.
Old 04-30-11, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Plus a serial "Phantom Empire" (1935). Gene Autry plays a singing cowboy of the same name, who runs Radio Ranch, a dude ranch from which he makes a daily live radio broadcast at 2pm. The plot hinges on his ability to make that broadcast every day to avoid losing the ranch thus allowing the "Muranians" easy access to the surface world or the "bad guys" to get the radium which powers the underground civilization. It doesn't deal with the business directly but it, again, is a key plot element.
Mill Creek has a serials box set with this in it. I thought it was pretty good and a nice change to all the sci-fi serials.
Old 04-30-11, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Still sticking with my Chuck seasons 2-4 challenge. I hope the boob count will be as high as it was in the Exploitation challenge.
Old 04-30-11, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it's time to put a "sticky" on the Lists thread? Before it slides off the front page?

Just sayin'...
Old 04-30-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Mill Creek has a serials box set with this in it. I thought it was pretty good and a nice change to all the sci-fi serials.
I always considered "Phantom Empire" to be sci-fi, but with cowboys instead of space men...

That Mill Creek set has some good stuff. I occasionally kick myself for not picking it up for $6 at BL sometime back even though I have all but one of them in my collection. A "good" copy of that "missing" one will cost as much or more than that set would have at the time.
Old 04-30-11, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And I've decided. It's Movie Serial time!
Old 04-30-11, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I might make my challenge a Month of Matt Groening, watching only The Simpsons and Futurama. Not sure though...

EDIT: I'm actually going to be fairly busy in May (studying for finals, moving, and starting to study for the bar), so I needed to pick something that I've seen many times before and don't have to pay super close attention to. I can't count how many times I've seen The Simpsons and Futurama, and I've been meaning to watch them again anyway, so this seems a good choice.

And while these shows would qualify for the Animation Challenge, I think it's specific enough to work. I did watch four seasons worth of The Simpsons during the Animation Challenge, so I'll just watch other seasons instead of those, unless I have time left at the end, which I definitely won't, lol.

I'm calling my challenge "A Month Of Matt Groening: The Simpsons And Futurama Challenge" and made this image to commemorate it:

Last edited by kstublen; 05-01-11 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-01-11, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay I decided to go the easy way out and change my theme to:

1930's and 1980's

These are the two decades I have lists from and movies on my TiVo/VHS tapes off of Turner Classic Movies.

Just watched Born to Dance, which is at least interesting to hear James Stewart singing.
Old 05-01-11, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

And I've decided. It's Movie Serial time!
Can't go wrong with that. At least until you hit an awful one.
Old 05-01-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's the list of participants and their Challenges as of now. If I've made a mistake on yours or missed anyone who has already decided on a Challenge theme, let me know.

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Code:
Participants & Challenge Themes:

Dimension X - "James Bond/Pink Panther-palooza" Challenge
jmsmath - "2011 One Degree of Separation Challenge"
MrTerrific  - "Star Trek (TOS)" Challenge
WallyOPD - 
Darth Maher - "The Simpsons/Special Features/That Damn DVR!" Challenges
davidh777 - 
Darkgod - "Clean Off My Hardrive" Challenge
Trevor - 
NoirFan - "Bette Davis Challenge"
Indy24LA - "Comedy A to Z" Challenge
lisadoris - "Homicide: Life on the Street" Challenge
SmoothJamieM - "AMC/FX/HBO Shows" Challenge
Corey31 - "Movie Series" Challenge
llandros - 
shadokitty - "Documentaries/Dogfights/Ancient Aliens" Challenge
KaBluie - 
MinLShaw - "Ripped from the Funny Pages!" Challenge
kstublen - "The Matt Groening Month of May Challenge"
SterlingBen - "The Big Lots Challenge"
Mister Peepers - 
cardsfan111 - "The Letter For the Month is L" Challenge
Quack - "The Complete G.I. Joe Cartoon" Challenge
BobO'Link - "Movie Serials" Challenge
acubfaninmd - "icheckmovies.com List Challenge"
indy2003 - "Finally Getting Around to a Bunch of Unwatched Items in My Collection" Challenge
Undeadcow - "Form Over Content Challenge"
caligulathegod - 
terrycloth - "Zombie and the Infected Handbook" Challenge
Giles - "The Commentary Track" Challenge
aspects - "1930's and 1980's" Challenge
HyperWeather - 
Ash Ketchum - "Japanese TV Challenge"
BuddhaWake - "Iberian and Latin American (Including Caribbean) Challenge"
Doc Moonlight - "Vincentennial Challenge"
pagefrance - "The First Annual Comic Book Movie/TV Series Challenge"
AdamGott - "Try to Whittle Away at My Unwatched Pile" Challenge
Jeffy Pop - "2011 Foreign Language Film Challenge"
CardiffGiant - "Unwatched Material Mini-Challenges"
Fist of Doom - "On the Air" Challenge
Chad - 
SnapDawg - "Hot Tub Time Machine (a.k.a. 80's Rewind) Challenge"
omike - "Special Features / Japanese Movies Challenge"
InnocentBlood - "Bollywood: Indian Cinema Challenge"
Old 05-01-11, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Can't go wrong with that. At least until you hit an awful one.
Stay away from The Amazing Exploits of the Clutching Hand. Man was that one tedious.
Old 05-01-11, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you add my name to the participants list? I'm going with a TV Sitcom challenge.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.