Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

May 2011 Make-Your-Own Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-11, 10:28 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: May 2011 Make-Your-Own Challenge Discussion Thread

Made up my mind and I'm gonna start and try to finish...

Dirty Harry Blu-Ray Set
Star Trek (TOS) All 3 Seasons
Star Trek: The Animated Series
Old 04-22-11, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Movies bought at Big Lots too loose of an association?
Do they have any Big Lots in New York? I've never been to one. Sometimes us Big City kids are so deprived.
Old 04-22-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Do they have any Big Lots in New York? I've never been to one. Sometimes us Big City kids are so deprived.
I don't know if any are in the city itself, but as someone who lives near Buffalo, I can tell you Big Lots is at least in the state.
Old 04-22-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I have another idea, Dungeons and Dragons/Japanese movies and tv shows like Godzilla, Gamera, and Ultraman
Old 04-22-11, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Does this challenge have prizes like the other ones?
Old 04-22-11, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Well, since it's a Make-Your-Own Challenge, you're welcome to make-your-own prize to go with your Challenge.

Seriously though, some time back when GoldenWheels (with Hamilton Books) offered to provide prizes for Challenges I thought about contacting him, but since this is such a loose Challenge, with everyone doing his or her own thing, I decided it might not be such a good idea. It's not like the TV, Sci-Fi, Horror, or Drive-In Challenges where you already have an idea what interests the participants. I mean, what should the prize be for a Make-Your-Own Challenge? A DIY or self-help book?
Old 04-22-11, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Well, since it's a Make-Your-Own Challenge, you're welcome to make-your-own prize to go with your Challenge.

Seriously though, some time back when GoldenWheels (with Hamilton Books) offered to provide prizes for Challenges I thought about contacting him, but since this is such a loose Challenge, with everyone doing his or her own thing, I decided it might not be such a good idea. It's not like the TV, Sci-Fi, Horror, or Drive-In Challenges where you already have an idea what interests the participants. I mean, what should the prize be for a Make-Your-Own Challenge? A DIY or self-help book?
Now that you mention it, I think there were actually two bonus prizes leftover from the TV on DVD* Challenge that never got awarded. If those are still lying around, I think it'd be perfectly fine to put those up as prizes here. Maybe a random drawing kind of thing at the end of the challenge for those who participated and stayed active throughout the month?
Old 04-22-11, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If GoldenWheels is cool with it, you could draw for winners and then let GW choose what to send out, based on what the winner did for their challenge.
Old 04-22-11, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Now that you mention it, I think there were actually two bonus prizes leftover from the TV on DVD* Challenge that never got awarded. If those are still lying around, I think it'd be perfectly fine to put those up as prizes here. Maybe a random drawing kind of thing at the end of the challenge for those who participated and stayed active throughout the month?
Sounds good.
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
If GoldenWheels is cool with it, you could draw for winners and then let GW choose what to send out, based on what the winner did for their challenge.
I'll send him a message and see what he says.
Old 04-22-11, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to do what mondo did last year and do a icheckmovies challenge and just watch movies off the various lists they have.
Old 04-22-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm mulling a Betty Davis month. I watched 25 Crawford films last year, so I'll try to double that. I've been so busy with school that I gave up on the Exploitation Challenge, but May should be relatively free of responsibility.
Old 04-23-11, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It does now. Thanks to GoldenWheels and

Still working on the details.
Old 04-24-11, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had put a whole lot of effort to put together a list for my challenge and quit because it was taking too long. Then I thought about having a couple of decades that would be easier, but I put too much time into my first thought, so I went back and finished it up.

My challenge: Elements
Watch a movie with a word in the title related to an element of the week and each word can only be used once. I am hoping to watch four movies each week and two movies in the extra days.

Week 1, May 1-7: Air
Week 2, May 8-14: Earth
Week 3, May 15-21: Fire
Week 4, May 22-28: Water
Extra days, May 29-31: Heart (from Captain Planet)
Old 04-24-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was toying around with doing a swivel search type challenge but maybe next year. I'd start with one movie and then find a connection to the next movie, and so on.
Old 04-24-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I'm leaning towards a different direction now. Think I might pick a letter of the alphabet and all my DVD viewing must begin with that letter. "L" might be the logical choice since I already expressed my interest in catching up on the seasons of Lost. This method would allow me to mix it up between TV-on-DVD and films, along with not getting burned out on anything specific.
Old 04-25-11, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm now thinking my backlog of Sci Fi TV shows will have to wait so I can pull together a "Directors" make-your-own challenge with films by rotating directors. Hitchcock for a few days, Godard, Bergman, Oliver Stone, etc, etc. I think this would be a good way for me to compare the style and form of different film makers. After watching 12 Monkeys and considering how universally good Terry Gilliam's films are, this.
Old 04-25-11, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

May 27, 2011 marks the 100th anniversary of the birth of the great Vincent Price. There's a big exhibit called "Vincentennial" in his hometown of St Louis which I hope to visit when I go to Missouri for my daughter's college graduation.

Therefore, I will be participating in the "Vincentennial" Challenge, celebrating the work of the master, drawing primarily on his film and television work, and hoping to find some things that I have not yet seen.

Question, though. Since this is a "make your own challenge", I would like to add a few radio programs and recordings to the mix. I propose using real time as a measurement--30 minute programs count for 30 minutes, two hours total needed for an entry. Any objections?
Old 04-25-11, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
May 27, 2011 marks the 100th anniversary of the birth of the great Vincent Price. There's a big exhibit called "Vincentennial" in his hometown of St Louis which I hope to visit when I go to Missouri for my daughter's college graduation.

Therefore, I will be participating in the "Vincentennial" Challenge, celebrating the work of the master, drawing primarily on his film and television work, and hoping to find some things that I have not yet seen.

Question, though. Since this is a "make your own challenge", I would like to add a few radio programs and recordings to the mix. I propose using real time as a measurement--30 minute programs count for 30 minutes, two hours total needed for an entry. Any objections?
You're asking a guy who calls himself Dimension X if he'd have a problem with listing radio shows?

I'm also a huge Vincent Price fan, so that sounds like a great idea for a Challenge to me.
Old 04-25-11, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

My possible MYOC ideas so far are:

The Simpsons
There are SO many that I haven't seen and tons from the box sets that I haven't seen since their first airings. There are also two guys at work who are always referencing specific episodes. More often than not, I haven't seen or don't remember the particular episode.

Extras/Special Features/Behind The Scenes
Lately, I have felt like watching a bunch of extras on my discs. I also have a few full docs that I've been meaning to check out (William Castle, Psycho, MGM, etc). Now seems like an ideal time to delve in.

Alfred Hitchcock Challenge
I did this last year and only watched a few movies. But I really enjoyed them. And with Alfred Hitchcock Presents on Netflix On Demand, I have plenty of material to choose from.

Maybe I'll do just 1 of those... maybe do all 3 concurrently... maybe add another and do 4 mini-challenges again.... who knows.
Old 04-25-11, 07:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe I have enough DVDs to make a Comic Book Challenge.
The rules will be that I can watch any movie or TV show that is adapted from a comic book.
Movies that have been adapted into comic books don't count since that broadens the scope way too much. An exception will be movies or TV shows that are CLEARLY comic book inspired like The Greatest American Hero which was a character created specifically for a TV show and not an adaptation of an existing comic book.
Old 04-25-11, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
...birth of the great Vincent Price ...I will be participating in the "Vincentennial" Challenge.

Normally I'd suggest that since this is a visual form discussion board radio shows not could; but doesn't the make-your-own-challenge challenge have wild cards? Radio shows should definitely count as wild cards and if there none we need to start doing wild cards. I know it's a make your own challenge, but everyone should be able to vary their challenge slightly by including limited random material.

Vincentennial = awesomeness!
Old 04-25-11, 08:15 PM

I think I've decided on what I am going to do, the theme of Movie Series'. Each film has to come from a series which has 3 or more films. I will use wildcards for a few films which have sequels coming out this summer that I want to re-watch (The Hangover, Cars, Kung Fu Panda).
Old 04-25-11, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Normally I'd suggest that since this is a visual form discussion board radio shows not could; but doesn't the make-your-own-challenge challenge have wild cards? Radio shows should definitely count as wild cards and if there none we need to start doing wild cards. I know it's a make your own challenge, but everyone should be able to vary their challenge slightly by including limited random material.

Vincentennial = awesomeness!
That's a good point about wildcards, since the other Challenges have them. If you want to allow wildcards for your Challenge(s), go ahead. Just make a note of them in your theme/goals/rules at the top of your list(s).

As for the radio shows, as I said in my initial post in this thread, "You're in charge of your own Challenge, so you make the rules." Personally, I think it's a great idea to include voice work (radio, animation, spoken word albums) for an Actor Challenge (especially if it's an actor with a great, distinctive voice like Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, or Jimmy Stewart).

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-25-11 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-27-11, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The list thread is now active.

Here's how we decided to handle the prizes. Rather than have me or GoldenWheels guess at picking something you might be interested in (and don't already have), it was decided to let the winners choose their own prizes from HamiltonBook.com. At the end of the month, three winners will be randomly chosen from the Challenge participants. Prize selection will be limited to items priced $20 or less.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-27-11 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-27-11, 05:11 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 679 Likes on 455 Posts

I'm barely watching anything this year, but I'd like to get back on board a bit.

Had a New Year's Resolution to watch one Criterion and one TV season a week, and I'm way behind on the TV part. I might pick 20 shorter seasons/BBC series and try to get through them to catch back up.

Not as creative as I would like, but I'm more OCD about my resolutions than anything else right now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.