Reload this Page >

Nickelodeon/Shout! Factory Releases

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Nickelodeon/Shout! Factory Releases

Old 07-19-11, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Nickelodeon/Shout! Factory Releases

Been watching episodes of Hey Dude on DVD today. Never thought I'd see the day.

---

The first season of Hey Dude aired a year after I was born, so I only ever caught this one in repeats, but in watching these episodes I'm actually surprised at how much of it seems familiar. I immediately remembered the gag where Danny rubs dirt and water on Ted's shirt, the episode with Melody falling into the mineshaft, and of course, the theme song.

I've made it through all the episodes on the first disc, and it actually holds up pretty well. Sure, it's a bit corny at times and might be a tad dated, but it's still a pretty fun show. The video quality is nothing to write home about, but it's really not that bad for as old as the show is. Christine Taylor does a nice little interview here (the only bonus feature) that gives some interesting background information about her life as a kid and making the show. She has a really realistic view of the quality of Hey Dude and seems to have genuinely appreciated the show and all those involved.

And speaking of Christine Taylor, it's amazing how little she has changed in 20 years; she looks pretty much exactly the same now as she did on Hey Dude.

Last edited by kstublen; 07-19-11 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-26-11, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm a little busy at the moment, but a quick update from TVShowsOnDVD, regarding what appears to be a release date of November 15, 2011 for The Wild Thornberrys: Season Two. Keep 'em coming Shout!
Old 07-30-11, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wake me up when Shout actually starts releasing live action Nickelodeon shows that don't suck.

And yes, Hey Dude sucked when I was a kid and I'm sure it still sucks if I were to watch it as an adult.
Old 07-30-11, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought Hey Dude held up alright. A little cheesy, but it was still fun to watch.

So you're not a fan of the animated shows at all? I loved the live action shows too, but I was a much bigger fan of the animated programs.
Old 07-30-11, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

The first season of "Kenan & Kel" was just released on iTunes, so hopefully DVD releases will follow soon.
Old 07-30-11, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll keep my fingers crossed. That show was stupid but I loved it.

Just started watching my "Rocko" DVD today. Looked pretty good.
Old 08-01-11, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kstublen
I thought Hey Dude held up alright. A little cheesy, but it was still fun to watch.

So you're not a fan of the animated shows at all? I loved the live action shows too, but I was a much bigger fan of the animated programs.
I'm a firm believer that Nicktoons started to signal the death of Nickelodeon. Outside of the first four animated series (Doug, Rugrats, Ren and Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life), I could not give a flying fuck for anything else that followed that was animated.

I'd kill a man for Salute Your Shorts or You Can't Do That On Television. I'll even take Hi Honey, I'm Home!, Roundhouse, Space Cases, The Tomorrow People, Turkey Television, Weinerville, and/or Welcome Freshmen. Hell, I'll even take the entire box set of My Brother and Me despite the fact I've seen that entire series 300 times only because the show lasted 12 episodes yet Nickelodeon played all 12 episodes every week for an entire five-to-six year stretch.

Hell, can I even get a third season release of The Adventures of Pete & Pete?
Old 08-01-11, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I'm a firm believer that Nicktoons started to signal the death of Nickelodeon. Outside of the first four animated series (Doug, Rugrats, Ren and Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life), I could not give a flying fuck for anything else that followed that was animated.
Really? I think the Nicktoons is what made Nickelodeon what it is today. Those first Nicktoons made it possible for other really great animated series to come along (Real Monsters, Angry Beavers, etc.), but I do feel that they really over did it and that's why, aside from Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents, most of the Nicktoons nowadays suck.

Hell, I'll even take the entire box set of My Brother and Me
I doubt it would be a box set, since (like you said) it only had 12 episodes!

Also I do remember them showing that show over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
Old 08-03-11, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Honestly, I have to agree. With the exception of Hey Arnold!, I didn't enjoy any Nicktoon produced after '95. If Angry Beavers came on, I changed the channel. I was only 10 at the time, so it's not like I wasn't still in the demographic for these shows. I also thought CatDog was rather dumb and I still don't understand America's obsession with SpongeBob. The first four Nicktoons are the only ones I would even consider picking up on DVD -- especially Doug.

Nice to see someone else remembers Hi Honey, I'm Home!. That show launched my obsession with Julie Benz.

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Also I do remember them showing that show over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
They really did. I still have that damn Goo Punch song stuck in my head.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ADQPcNvqymo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by joe_b; 08-03-11 at 05:32 AM.
Old 08-08-11, 06:08 PM

November 1, 2011
Old 08-08-11, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Although it's sort of annoying that they're splitting the season into two separate releases; that would make more sense for Season 3 (36 episodes) than Season 2 (21 episodes). Still, it's great to see them churning these out so quickly.
Old 08-15-11, 10:10 AM

I find it funny how "Hey Arnold Season 1" doesn't seem to be available at any retail store, but I was able to get "Hey Dude" at BB.
Old 08-15-11, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyDaBull
I find it funny how "Hey Arnold Season 1" doesn't seem to be available at any retail store, but I was able to get "Hey Dude" at BB.
We've got Hey Arnold stocked at my Walmart in Dalton, GA
Old 08-15-11, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by will94
Interesting. I looked it up on WM.com last week and it said not available in store
Old 08-15-11, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by will94
Def gonna have to check my local WalMart now
Interesting. I looked it up on WM.com last week and it said not available in store
same here
Old 08-15-11, 09:16 PM

Yep, my Wal-Mart had it for $19.96! Figures, I usually check WM but when the website said not available in store, I just figured they weren't going to have it and I didn't check... until today!
Old 08-16-11, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

never trust their website regarding inventory. Way too many dump bins to go through as well...what a mess!
Old 08-17-11, 09:40 PM

We've stocked every Nickelodeon/Shout release that has made it to retail stores at my Walmart, so don't trust the website. Inventory also goes by our on-hands and counts, which can be messed up or sometimes we don't even control, the vendor does.
Old 08-18-11, 06:33 PM

Picked up Hey Arnold today. Walmart had a shitload of copies lol
Old 08-19-11, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Really? I think the Nicktoons is what made Nickelodeon what it is today. Those first Nicktoons made it possible for other really great animated series to come along (Real Monsters, Angry Beavers, etc.), but I do feel that they really over did it and that's why, aside from Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents, most of the Nicktoons nowadays suck.

I doubt it would be a box set, since (like you said) it only had 12 episodes!

Was it really only 12 episodes? The way Nick used to play it back in the day, I always thought it ran for a few seasons. Keep in mind there are many episodes I remember by heart, now I realize I remembered almost the entire series by heart.
Old 08-20-11, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Was it really only 12 episodes? The way Nick used to play it back in the day, I always thought it ran for a few seasons. Keep in mind there are many episodes I remember by heart, now I realize I remembered almost the entire series by heart.
If you are talking about "My Brother and Me" then yes it was only 12 or so eps. It's a shame really since it was actually an entertaining show.
Old 08-21-11, 05:23 PM

This Hey Arnold set doesn't seem to be as polished as the other Nick sets. Looks like they just ported over everything from the MOD set same menus and everything, but Rocko had revamped menus (which are better than the previous ones)
Old 08-25-11, 07:00 PM

Joe Murray (creator of Rocko's Modern Life) has announced he has worked out a deal with Shout! to provide the cover art for the 2nd season dvds. He also said he would like to do some extra features. This is fantastic news. http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Rockos-...Season-2/15852
Old 08-25-11, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Joe Murray (creator of Rocko's Modern Life) has announced he has worked out a deal with Shout! to provide the cover art for the 2nd season dvds. He also said he would like to do some extra features. This is fantastic news. http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Rockos-...Season-2/15852
Thanks for posting. Saw that today and was pleasantly surprised given the history between Joe Murray and Nickelodeon.

I should have my Angry Beavers set tomorrow; can't wait to watch it.
Old 08-27-11, 12:31 AM

Sweet! I'd love some special features on some of these! Hopefully Jim Jenkins will be for some special feautres when Doug eventually makes it's way to DVD!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.