Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2011

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2011

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-11, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2011

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
All these spaghetti westerns put me in the mood to finally try Red Dead Redemption, which I bought last summer. Played about 7 hours and didn't do much more than hunting and skinning animals, along with going out away from the towns and ambushing people and stage coaches that would come by. Horses pulling coaches wouldn't get off easy. They'd get a bullet to the head.

Occasionally an eyewitness would get away and then I'd get chased by the law for awhile. What can I say? I'm easily amused.
Same here. Once you acquire the lasso, you can do some very dastardly things to the local population as well (hog-tie, railroad tracks...you get the idea!)
Recently playing the game and the sequel really put me in the mood to watch a lot of the spaghetti westerns in my collection. It also inspired me to watch other westerns (The Naked Spur, Winchester '73, etc.) that I doubt would qualify for the challenge.
I watched The Searchers last night, and almost felt like adding it to my challenge list. Despite being a highly-regarded film, I thought the finished product felt more like an Ed Wood film than a John Ford film. The plot jumps around, making little sense at times...one scene they're in the Monument Valley desert(supposedly Texas), then they're suddenly in a snowy forest, then back in the desert...some scenes jump back and forth between darkness and daylight...etc. I almost feel like any film that has such a disregard for logic would be at home on this challenge's list, but I'm sure most people would consider it an A film.
Old 04-24-11, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2011

John Ford might be pressing it.
Old 04-24-11, 05:51 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
John Ford might be pressing it.
Also The Searchers is on a lot of top films of all time lists.

[Apparently not JOKipper's though! ]
Old 04-24-11, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JOKipper
Same here. Once you acquire the lasso, you can do some very dastardly things to the local population as well (hog-tie, railroad tracks...you get the idea!)
Guess I have to play some more to get that. Sounds like it's worth it.
Old 04-24-11, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

cailigula, maybe i missed it but is there a list of the books you picked for prizes? I would be interested in seeing what you picked.
Old 04-24-11, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Yeah, I think caligula's original decree was "any Western except John Ford A pictures"
Old 04-24-11, 09:52 PM
Cool New Member

Stats:

With one week left in the challenge I tabulated some more stats -
As of April 23 (based on what people have posted)
There are 46 people in the challenge.
A total of 1678 movies have been watched
for an average of 36.5 per person
or 69.9 movies by the group watched every day
or 1.52 movies watched per person per day.

To be on pace for 100 you should have 77 movies watched by April 17.
1 person is ahead of that pace.
2 people have finished the challenge

4 others are at 65 or over and could make 100 with 5 movies per day.
Old 04-24-11, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I need to pony up and watch 2 films for this Challenge (which will put me at 50)

I haven't watched anything in maybe 5-6 days.
Old 04-25-11, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Just finished Bad Girls from Mars (1991, D: Fred Olen Ray, S: Edy Williams). Lots of toplessness and innuendo, but never managed to actually be sexy. If anything, the sexuality was played for yuks in a movie that just wasn't funny. How dull was it? The highlight was seeing an office set decorated with an assortment of posters from other Ray-helmed movies, including Scalps.
Old 04-25-11, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished watching Bitch Slap for the first time. Lots of random fun, I was pleasantly surprised. $2 well spent

I loved the intro credits featuring film clips of female leads (Christina Lindberg, Pam Grier) from various Exploitation Films. My only gripe with it was that it went a little long and could have had the same effect at 90 minutes or less.

Julia Voth =
Old 04-25-11, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Finished watching Bitch Slap for the first time. Lots of random fun, I was pleasantly surprised. $2 well spent

I loved the intro credits featuring film clips of female leads (Christina Lindberg, Pam Grier) from various Exploitation Films. My only gripe with it was that it went a little long and could have had the same effect at 90 minutes or less.

Julia Voth =
I watched that for the first time this month for the challenge, too. I loved it! I agree it could have been trimmed a bit, but the longest sequences were generally the most enjoyable ones and the plot advancement sequences were pretty succinct already, so I'm not sure offhand where the cuts should have been made. I streamed it from Netflix, though. Anything interesting on the DVD release?

I suspect Bitch Slap is gonna receive my "Best Catfight" Award when this challenge is over.

As for myself, I streamed Emmanuel after the disappointment of Bad Girls from Mars. I was wary because I'd been so bored by Histoire d'O (The Story of O), also directed by Just Jaeckin. Emmanuel is vastly superior, though still not quite fulfilling. The pace is much more energetic, and there's actually an interesting narrative and some character development. Christine Boisson was stunning in her brief scenes. Unfortunately, I lost interest in the last 15-20 minutes of the film. It's interesting to me that this was Jaeckin's first film, and that instead of refining what worked here, his next picture would be the lethargic and dull Histoire d'O. Still, I've been meaning to see both films for years now and I wouldn't have even thought to check Netflix streaming for them had it not been for this challenge, so that's some small progress on my massive To See list.
Old 04-25-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I watched that for the first time this month for the challenge, too. I loved it! I agree it could have been trimmed a bit, but the longest sequences were generally the most enjoyable ones and the plot advancement sequences were pretty succinct already, so I'm not sure offhand where the cuts should have been made. I streamed it from Netflix, though. Anything interesting on the DVD release?

I suspect Bitch Slap is gonna receive my "Best Catfight" Award when this challenge is over
Definitely agree with the "Best Catfight". Though with the films I've been watching it goes into a tie with the fight from Coffy.

The extras on the DVD were I believe 2 Commentaries and 1 Making Of Feature ("Building A Better B-Movie"). Haven't gone through either of them yet.

Finishing up my 50th film, Forbidden World. at the random boob slip by Dawn Dunlap
Old 04-25-11, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

In one of the films I saw for this challenge, PREHISTORIC WOMEN (1950), there's a pretty good catfight (or maybe Sabertooth Tiger fight) between Laurette Luez and her competition for the alpha male from a visiting tribe. (I didn't get the other actress's name.)

One of the westerns I saw had a pretty good catfight, too. I think it was between Dorothy Malone and Myrna Dell in THE BUSHWHACKERS (1952). All these things have begun to blur in my head after 24 days of nonstop viewing (73 films so far).
Old 04-25-11, 02:02 PM
Cool New Member

Hey, can I use "Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe"? It's got Bruce Campbell.
Old 04-25-11, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by number2
Hey, can I use "Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe"? It's got Bruce Campbell.
Bruce Campbell is on the Safe List, but IMO Burn Notice doesn't fit the feel or criteria of what this Challenge is about.

All up to Caligula though.
Old 04-25-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Bruce Campbell is on the Safe List, but IMO Burn Notice doesn't fit the feel or criteria of what this Challenge is about.

All up to Caligula though.
Agreed: it's TV, which generally doesn't count

Finishing up my 50th film, Forbidden World. at the random boob slip by Dawn Dunlap
Based on that review, I added it to my Netflix queue, though they don't have it on BD--glad I'm paying extra for that service

Poking around the Amazon similarities for that I found Humanoids from the Deep, with the famous tagline "They're not human. But they hunt human women. Not for killing. For mating."

OK, maybe it's not that famous but it made quite an impression on me as a kid, but I never saw the movie. Unfortunately Netflix doesn't have that in any form.
Old 04-25-11, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was my first time watching Forbidden World and it was fun. The boob slip was funny because of the context of the scene and because it just randomly shows up in the frame. Even more funny that the editors decided to leave it in like it was normal

Definitely check out Humanoids From The Deep if you can, also fun. Probably going to watch that and Galaxy of Terror next.
Old 04-25-11, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
Agreed: it's TV, which generally doesn't count
But made for TV movies do count.
Old 04-25-11, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Humanoids From The Deep probably has the best boobs I've seen out of any film on my list this year (so far). Evened out by lots and lots of Sea Monster Rape
Old 04-25-11, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Speaking of boobs, I sure wish my Andy Sidaris set would get here already.
Old 04-25-11, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I'm doing very poorly with this one. I'd hoped to complete a Spaghetti Western box set of 20 films as well as 20-30 peplum... so far I've managed a whole 10 films and that's been on only 2 days!

I've had too many weekends with "other stuff" getting in the way... It didn't help that both "Dennis the Menace" and "Car 54" were released this month and I just couldn't *not* watch them too. Hopefully I can catch up a bit this weekend, but overall my numbers are not going to be anywhere close to what I was hoping for going in.
Old 04-25-11, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you go quality over quantity, you'll always have more fun with challenges. I've watched things outside the scope of the challenge, while keeping it at a minimum. It's also going to help prevent burning out.

I'm midway through my second to last spaghetti western, My Name Is Still Trinity and then I'll finish my last one tonight Massacre Time.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 04-25-11 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-25-11, 08:41 PM

I finally got my list back in order, I had to start a new post since I reached my image limit. I've still got a long way to go to reach my goal of 50, I'm not so sure it's going to happen.

I'm watching Ninja Vengeance, a movie about a ninja fighting the kkk, and dear lord is it terrible but it has some of the most hilarious dialogue.

"Once again we've been forced... by force... to use force."

Last edited by takingchase; 04-25-11 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-25-11, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by takingchase

I'm watching Ninja Vengeance, a movie about a ninja fighting the kkk, and dear lord is it terrible but it has some of the most hilarious dialogue.
I saw that on Netflix Instant Stream when I was over a friend's house a couple weeks ago. It looked pretty awesome

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
If you go quality over quantity, you'll always have more fun with challenges.
^
This
Old 04-25-11, 09:09 PM

I saw that on Netflix Instant Stream when I was over a friend's house a couple weeks ago. It looked pretty awesome
Honestly, it's not even so bad it's good. It's just flat out bad. The so called ninja spends the entire movie running, getting his ass kicked, getting shot in the ass, and catching on fire.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.