Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2011

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2011

Old 04-14-11, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2011

Originally Posted by asianxcore
True, but all that talk about who wasn't watching films suited to the Challenge had me over-thinking

American Ninja's $1 Million Budget Vs. Death Race 2000's $300K
I think comparing American Ninja to Death Race 2000 is like comparing apples to apples when what we should be doing is comparing apples to oranges. Death Race 2000 came out in 1975, a decade where the average studio film budget was probably around $4-5 million. The success of blockbusters like Jaws and Star Wars, coupled with inflation of the dollar, saw the average studio movie's budget rise to roughly $11 million by 1980 (and if Dennis Quaid's recent assertions are to be believed, some of that budget specifically went to scoring coke). Economically speaking, American Ninja and Death Race 2000 essentially had the same budgets when compared to the major studio output of their respective years. Enjoy your Dudikoff with a clear conscience!
Old 04-14-11, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2011

Originally Posted by takingchase
I think a lot of confusion in titles comes from the fact that this genre can be pretty damn subjective. As someone who's participating in this challenge for the first time I've had a hell of a time deciphering some of the sub genres. I've read countless wikis, waded through hundred's of "best of" lists, and I still find myself second guessing occasionally. I know I watched Rogue because it was on someones best eco-terror list and decided to omit it from my challenge list because it seemed a little too polished. But at the same time I'm including Sex and Fury which is shot gorgeously but at it's heart is about Boob's and blood. The lines can be crossed very carefully in this challenge. Granted there's a problem when someones just watching whatever the hell they want, but when people are on that line is it really worth it to nitpick?

First and foremost these challenges are about having fun. If people are going to constantly be over-thinking their selections it takes the fun out of it and discourages discussion. I would much rather have someone in here who watched a few "iffy" films but then had another 20-40 good ones on their list to come in here and talk about than someone who's discouraged from participating at all. The problem comes from someone who just watches whatever they want without regard which I don't see happening here. I think people genuinely think some of these movies fit into the criteria.

I may be guilty of that as well, I thought my list was pretty safe and on key for the challenge with the exception of Jonah Hex but that clearly fit's into both financial and critical failure, maybe I'm just reading those subcategories wrong. In the end though, I'm just not sure and I'm doing the best to decide what fits and what doesn't. I know I'm not going to worry about it, if anything looks like it doesn't belong just PM and I'll remove it.
That's pretty much it. If someone asks my opinion on a movie they haven't seen, I'll give it. But I set up the parameters and it seems to be pretty successful. Borderline films are always going to be a problem because it's not cut and dry, like Horror. But overall, I think everyone has a close enough grasp.

I'm having fun. Hope everyone else is, too.
Old 04-14-11, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by nezumi
Enjoy your Dudikoff with a clear conscience!
Haha thanks!

I'm sort of dreading starting up American Ninja 3: Blood Hunt because Dudikoff isn't in it.
Old 04-14-11, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

A friend is having a Beyond the Valley of the Dolls party this weekend! Too bad I can't make it because I've never seen it.
Old 04-14-11, 10:12 PM

I'm sort of dreading starting up American Ninja 3: Blood Hunt because Dudikoff isn't in it.
True, but it totally sets up the Dudikoff-Bradley team-up in American Ninja 4. Personally, I watched these movies for Steve James.
Old 04-14-11, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I wanted to watch Boot Hill (Terence Hill, Bud Spencer) tonight, but quality of the dvd is abysmal. Found something on youtube, but it's almost as bad. I'll put up with a 'bad' movie, but I'm funny in that I like to see what I'm watching.

Went looking for a better version abroad (just to own it if I could find one) and found a 2.35:1 anamorphic under the title of La Colina de las Botas: Colección Terence Hill & Bud Spencer, but there's no English sub or dub on it. Will we ever see a decent print of this movie in the States?

Oooo...Germany's got some interesting box sets...or maybe not. At least they've got a anamorphic disc with an English dub (Hügel der blutigen Stiefel).

Last edited by coyoteblue; 04-14-11 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-14-11, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
A friend is having a Beyond the Valley of the Dolls party this weekend! Too bad I can't make it because I've never seen it.
Your friend sounds cool as hell!

And you should try to see it when you get a chance. It friggin' rocks!
Old 04-14-11, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
So, it's his happening and it freaks him out!
Old 04-14-11, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^Yeah, they're going to watch the movie and also have a live band playing songs from the film

EDIT: ...but not while the movie is in progress
Old 04-15-11, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nezumi
True, but it totally sets up the Dudikoff-Bradley team-up in American Ninja 4. Personally, I watched these movies for Steve James.
I could totally see that. Steve James is awesome in these films.

Honestly, it was my first time watching the 2nd and 3rd films. I might have watched them when I was younger, but I don't remember.

3rd film was the worst out of the three I've watched so far. Mostly because I didn't think David Bradley was nearly as good as a lead as Dudikoff. It also could have been the feathered hair, who knows.

American Ninja 3: Blood Hunt also might have some of the loudest ninjas I've seen in a film

Originally Posted by Chet Desmond
Your friend sounds cool as hell!
+1
Old 04-15-11, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Enter The Ninja was good times.

Franco Nero (with bushy mustache), Sho Kosugi and Susan George in the same film? Awesome!

Also the random Black henchman with the Hitler mustache was pretty funny.

Too bad I can't watch Ninja Assassin for this Challenge. Might dig into some more Sho Kosugi films I have in my collection next.
Old 04-15-11, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Looking forward to my next Netflix DVD, The Legend of Fong Suy Yuk, with Jet Li. I hope it is as good as I have been led to believe as it was recommended by a friend who said it was his favorite martial arts film.

As for what does and does not count, as my first time doing this challenge, I have been mainly watching movies I find on other's people's lists to make sure I have the right kinds of movies. There are some others that I am watching that I know count, as eco terror, low budget sci fi, and spaghetti westerns, and bombs according to Rotten Tomatoes.
Old 04-15-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Too bad I can't watch Ninja Assassin for this Challenge. Might dig into some more Sho Kosugi films I have in my collection next.
All martial arts films are allowed, if you really wanted to watch it. You could use a wild card if you still felt bad about it.
Old 04-15-11, 10:04 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Yesterday I watched a bunch of Doris Wishman movies.

I still feel like I need a shower.
Old 04-15-11, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Shack
Have you discovered a new subtitle for this challenge?
Old 04-15-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I saw STANLEY on a double bill with NIGHT OF THE LEPUS when it came out.
I don't recall STANLEY being eco-terror, though. (I'm pretty sure LEPUS counts on that score.) As I recall, it was more about an angry dude with lethal snake pets, kind of like Willard and his rats, which wouldn't class as eco-terror either. And I'm sure WILLARD (1971) was the obvious inspiration for STANLEY.

Just my two cents.
Why isn't the original Willard on DVD? I have a vague memory that it's a Warner title--maybe an Archive candidate? They should have released it when the Crispin Glover one came out (a New Line release).

I saw it as a kid in one of those weekly series when they'd open some kind of theater or auditorium and everyone would watch it together. The same series included Batman The Movie and True Grit. Yeah, Willard freaked me out. (That kind of series is also how I first saw Jason and the Argonauts.)
Old 04-15-11, 11:24 AM
Cool New Member

Yesterday I watched a bunch of Doris Wishman movies.

How did you get through more than one?
"Double Agent 73" was more than enough for me (in so many ways).
Old 04-15-11, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Looking forward to my next Netflix DVD, The Legend of Fong Suy Yuk, with Jet Li. I hope it is as good as I have been led to believe as it was recommended by a friend who said it was his favorite martial arts film.

I just watched Shaolin Temple, the Jet Li one, and it was great. lost of fighting and the image (Tai Seng) was more than decent. If you've never seen it I recomend it.
Old 04-15-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Josephine Siao plays Jet Li's mother in that and she clearly steals the show. She'd been a child star in the 1950s and an action star in the 1960s, although the only films of hers that I've seen are the two Fong Sai Yuk films (the sequel is not as good). She starred in a few with Connie Chan, another '60s female swordplay star. I'd love to see some of those, but I don't know that any are available here. I suppose I should check YesAsia, but I'd need some recommendations first.
Old 04-15-11, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
All martial arts films are allowed, if you really wanted to watch it. You could use a wild card if you still felt bad about it.
That's true, I totally forgot about that. Essentially it's B-Movie fodder with tons of gore, but I think it did relatively well at the Box Office, had a huge budget and was Produced by the frikkin' Wachowski Bros. Thought it would just be fun to watch a newer ninja film after all of the ones I've been watching.

I might watch it after I finish Rage Of Honor, Revenge Of The Ninja and 9 Deaths Of The Ninja (hopefully I don't fall asleep again)
Old 04-15-11, 01:59 PM
Banned

i wish i had more time for this challenge. i'm totally jealous of anyone with 30+ movies in their lists. but i'm having a blast even with my little list. i'm also realizing how having a VCR is key to watching some top notch drive in b movies. i might have to get one for next years challenge

last night i watched Django which was pretty awesome. what a muddy western.
Old 04-15-11, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

That's true, I totally forgot about that. Essentially it's B-Movie fodder with tons of gore, but I think it did relatively well at the Box Office, had a huge budget and was Produced by the frikkin' Wachowski Bros. Thought it would just be fun to watch a newer ninja film after all of the ones I've been watching.

I might watch it after I finish Rage Of Honor, Revenge Of The Ninja and 9 Deaths Of The Ninja (hopefully I don't fall asleep again)
You might want to check out NINJA (2009), from Nu Image, starring Scott Adkins and various unknowns. I wrote it up on my list. I thought it was much better than your average DTV action film and certainly better than ENTER THE NINJA and REVENGE OF THE NINJA, both of which I watched for this challenge.
Old 04-15-11, 04:21 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by number2
How did you get through more than one?
"Double Agent 73" was more than enough for me (in so many ways).
Yeah, it was a little tough. But they're short, and in a way the bad filmmaking makes the content easier to watch. If Wishman had been more skilled, her films would have been so much more disturbing!
Old 04-15-11, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

If Wishman had been more skilled, her films would have been so much more disturbing!
To be fair, Let Me Die a Woman IS quite disturbing.
Spoiler:
I haven't been able to forget the sight of seeing a newly-constructed vagina re-acting to pleasure

Doris said that she loved making movies when it came to the concepts,scripts,editing and advertising. But she hated the actual filmmaking process....Which kinda explains a lot.
Old 04-15-11, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
To be fair, Let Me Die a Woman IS quite disturbing.
Spoiler:
I haven't been able to forget the sight of seeing a newly-constructed vagina re-acting to pleasure

Doris said that she loved making movies when it came to the concepts,scripts,editing and advertising. But she hated the actual filmmaking process....Which kinda explains a lot.
You should check out I think Shocking Asia, and you can see a real conversion surgery.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.