Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2011

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-11, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2011

Originally Posted by Chet Desmond
I barely got through this one during the horror challenge. Easily the worst of the series.
No, that title goes to Jason Goes To Hell.
Old 04-03-11, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2011

As a Peckinpah fanatic, I was all set to watch BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA for the challenge and started ruminating on which of the Master's films would fit the Drive-In challenge and which would go better with the June History Challenge. Here's where I netted out:

For the Drive-In Challenge:
BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA
CONVOY
THE DEADLY COMPANIONS
PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID (has a singer-turned -actor component because of Bob Dylan, but not Kris Kristofferson, because he did a lot of acting)
STRAW DOGS (controversial at the time for its violence, Hoffman had quite yet evolved into a major star, and the Cornwall settings looked straight out of a Hammer horror film)
JUNIOR BONNER (modern Western setting, Steve McQueen was a major star, but he was really the only one in the film, low-key and has Joe Don Baker)
OSTERMAN WEEKEND (CIA conspiracies)
THE KILLER ELITE (CIA conspiracies and martial arts)

For the History Challenge
BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE
RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY (even though it was originally the bottom half of a double bill and stars Randolph Scott from the safe list, this just doesn't have a "drive-in feel" for me)
CROSS OF IRON
MAJOR DUNDEE

WILD BUNCH could go in either challenge by virtue of it's historic slow motion shoot out or its period feel and authenticity.

I don't really see THE GETAWAY fitting in either challenge, not historic enough for the history challenge and too big a budget with too many stars for the Drive-In Challenge.
Old 04-03-11, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
No, that title goes to Jason Goes To Hell.
Freddy Vs Jason < Jason Goes To Hell
Old 04-03-11, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
I just wanted to verify that any direct-to-dvd was viable. Like All-Star Superman, for instance.
DTV is ok, but it has to be somewhat in the ballpark of the genres of the challenge. All-Star Superman isn't really what we're going for here. Unless if stars Misty Mundae. You can watch this:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p9oI7Fd3Uec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Or this one (that won't let me embed).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Pjo0WjBcs

Last edited by caligulathegod; 04-03-11 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-03-11, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
DTV is ok, but it has to be somewhat in the ballpark of the genres of the challenge.
Direct to Dvd horror sequels should be ok though right? I've got a bunch I've been meaning to catch up on.
Old 04-03-11, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I'd say it's worth a stream but not a physical disc rental, unless your queue is empty.
Exactly, I'm going to try his follow up sometime during the challenge and see if it's any better. Nude Nuns with big guns.
Old 04-03-11, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by takingchase
Direct to Dvd horror sequels should be ok though right? I've got a bunch I've been meaning to catch up on.
Yeah, those are ok. Stuff that otherwise looks like the stuff in the challenge is ok.
Old 04-03-11, 08:44 PM

Yeah, those are ok. Stuff that otherwise looks like the stuff in the challenge is ok.
I kind of figured, just wanted to make sure. I'm not sure if I'll even get to them, I've got a bunch of classic stuff to burn through first.
Old 04-03-11, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Love this challenge!

So much fun/ridiculous stuff on-screen. Foxy Brown....such an awesome final act.
Old 04-04-11, 12:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Love this challenge!

So much fun/ridiculous stuff on-screen. Foxy Brown....such an awesome final act.
The gun in her afro is one of the most brilliant things ever committed to film.
Old 04-04-11, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Love this challenge!

And the music. Blaxploitation hands down has the best soundtracks of any genre. You can enjoy the movies on whatever ironic level you want, but the music is funkay.
Old 04-04-11, 01:15 AM

And the music. Blaxploitation hands down has the best soundtracks of any genre. You can enjoy the movies on whatever ironic level you want, but the music is funkay.
Superfly certainly had a great score, but I couldn't believe how awful the movie itself was. I saw it at least 10 times back in the day (it was always paired up with Enter the Dragon at the local theater), but didn't remember it being such a wretched production. It was fitting for me to start the challenge off with this particular double feature, but I couldn't have made it through Superfly without the fine soundtrack.
Old 04-04-11, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
The gun in her afro is one of the most brilliant things ever committed to film.
That and
Spoiler:
dicks in a jar

Agreed 100%

I just finished watching Jackie Brown and even as an homage, Tarantino completely nailed it with the soundtrack.

The opening scene/score of that film is one of my favorites ever. Bobby Womack? The Delfonics? Randy Crawford? Frikkin' genius!
Old 04-04-11, 07:53 AM

I watched two short films last night, combining for about 55 minutes of viewing. May I count those as one full entry?
Old 04-04-11, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
As a Peckinpah fanatic, I was all set to watch BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA for the challenge and started ruminating on which of the Master's films would fit the Drive-In challenge and which would go better with the June History Challenge. Here's where I netted out:

For the Drive-In Challenge:
BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA
CONVOY
THE DEADLY COMPANIONS
PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID (has a singer-turned -actor component because of Bob Dylan, but not Kris Kristofferson, because he did a lot of acting)
STRAW DOGS (controversial at the time for its violence, Hoffman had quite yet evolved into a major star, and the Cornwall settings looked straight out of a Hammer horror film)
JUNIOR BONNER (modern Western setting, Steve McQueen was a major star, but he was really the only one in the film, low-key and has Joe Don Baker)
OSTERMAN WEEKEND (CIA conspiracies)
THE KILLER ELITE (CIA conspiracies and martial arts)

For the History Challenge
BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE
RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY (even though it was originally the bottom half of a double bill and stars Randolph Scott from the safe list, this just doesn't have a "drive-in feel" for me)
CROSS OF IRON
MAJOR DUNDEE

WILD BUNCH could go in either challenge by virtue of it's historic slow motion shoot out or its period feel and authenticity.
I was a junior in high school when THE WILD BUNCH came out and because of that film, I read every book I could find on the Mexican Revolution and I wound up choosing that as my topic for my World History term paper. So, yeah, definitely a History Challenge. So who says movies aren't educational?
Old 04-04-11, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue
I watched two short films last night, combining for about 55 minutes of viewing. May I count those as one full entry?
Shorts count. Rules for how to do them should be in the first post.
Old 04-04-11, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One more Blaxploitation film in my collection left to watch and I can move onto the Wild, Wacky World of Japanese B-Movie Cinema!
Old 04-04-11, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would the first Tron count? It's big-budget, but certainly has camp value and a cult following.
Old 04-04-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Allan Arbus looks like a kid with a fake mustache in Coffy

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Would the first Tron count? It's big-budget, but certainly has camp value and a cult following.
I guess it's up to Caligula, but I personally wouldn't count it. It's in a completely different hemisphere compared to all the films I've seen in everyone's lists/spirit of the Challenge.
Old 04-04-11, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Watched Grandma's Boy this afternoon. After 3 Friday the 13th movies in a row, a stoner comedy was a nice change of pace.
Old 04-04-11, 07:35 PM

I can't bring myself to allow Tron, yet. It is only a couple months until the Sci-Fi challenge.
Old 04-04-11, 07:36 PM

I'm trying to hold off until 4/20 for the stoner films. I wish that church had said April 21 instead of May 21 for the Rapture. Would have made a good Religious-exploitation day.
Old 04-04-11, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

how about big trouble in little china? my girl was over and she wanted to watch something and she never seen it so i figured i might get lucky and have it count? So am i lucky?
Old 04-04-11, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
how about big trouble in little china? my girl was over and she wanted to watch something and she never seen it so i figured i might get lucky and have it count? So am i lucky?
Seems like something you would need to use a wildcard on.
Old 04-04-11, 08:54 PM

It was end of John Carpenter's big studio shot. However, it's still a martial arts films and was a financial bomb. It also pushed Carpenter back into the independent system and became a cult film later. I'm thinking it's ok. I wouldn't count Starman and maybe the Thing, but the martial arts and bombing helps push it over into safe territory.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.