Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2011

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2011

Old 03-08-11, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2011

Whoa, what a coincidence. Just so happened I just bought a ton of Roger Corman double/triple features off Amazon. Any Corman title is fair game, right?
Old 03-09-11, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2011

Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
Whoa, what a coincidence. Just so happened I just bought a ton of Roger Corman double/triple features off Amazon. Any Corman title is fair game, right?
Roger Corman is God here!
Old 03-09-11, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Corman is auto-safed. Brief cameos in "A pictures" don't count (like Silence of the Lambs), but his producing and directing credits are fair game.
Old 03-09-11, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,013 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod
The only thing I hate about these challenges is that i immediatly want to watch that kind of film. For instance, this is announced and now... 23 days before the start, I want to watch B and exploitation movies. Always happens.
I know--time for me to catch up on TV before this starts.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I hate how this and the Horror challenge both start during one of the busiest times at work.
Sucks. That's how November and December are for me.
Old 03-09-11, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i pulled out all my troma, russ meyers, and monster movies all pulled out and ready to go.
Old 03-09-11, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I would assume films like the August Underground Trilogy count towards this?

I'm really excited about this year's Challenge. Mostly because I only watched 9 films during the previous Challenge
Old 03-09-11, 11:22 PM

I'm excited to give this challenge a go but I'm getting married next month so I'm not sure how much time I'll have for movies.
Old 03-09-11, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by takingchase
I'm excited to give this challenge a go but I'm getting married next month so I'm not sure how much time I'll have for movies.
Congrats. But as Groucho Marx said to the contestant with the 11 children (because she "liked children"), "I like my cigar, but I occasionally take it out of my mouth."
Old 03-09-11, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I would assume films like the August Underground Trilogy count towards this?

I'm really excited about this year's Challenge. Mostly because I only watched 9 films during the previous Challenge
Any movie that makes a "most disturbing" list is generally fair game.
Old 03-10-11, 01:04 AM

Ok, I'm working on the checklist. It's currently here *CHECKLIST* . I am removing several categories. Gone are Mildred Pierce Weepies, "race" films (which I hated to lose, but they are too hard to find), Films dealing with race pre-1965, Elvis as a separate category (he is now a bonus extra lumped in with music star film), TV Bio-pic, Condemned by the Catholic League (hated to lose, as I love the idea of a category of film that you will go to hell if you see, but there was no definitive list, and it included too many legitimately good films). Added is Bruce Lee as a bonus in Kung Fu films, since he only made 4 films I hated to give him his own category or take away from the Shaw Brothers films. Also added Video Nasties. I kept Emmanuelle because there's like 50-70 of those things. It doesn't matter if it's the official Emmanuelle, or the ripoffs, as long as that name is in the title or alternate title per IMDB, it's in.

Any other ideas or things I should get rid of? Keep in mind, the checklist is more a guide and does not reflect every type of film allowed in this challenge. Also, you don't have to hit every type on the checklist. It's really for hardcore.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 03-10-11 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-10-11, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Ok, I'm working on the checklist. It's currently here *CHECKLIST* . I am removing several categories. Gone are Mildred Pierce Weepies, "race" films (which I hated to lose, but they are too hard to find), Films dealing with race pre-1965, Elvis as a separate category (he is now a bonus extra lumped in with music star film), TV Bio-pic, Condemned by the Catholic League (hated to lose, as I love the idea of a category of film that you will go to hell if you see, but there was no definitive list, and it included too many legitimately good films). Added is Bruce Lee as a bonus in Kung Fu films, since he only made 4 films I hated to give him his own category or take away from the Shaw Brothers films. Also added Video Nasties. I kept Emmanuelle because there's like 50-70 of those things. It doesn't matter if it's the official Emmanuelle, or the ripoffs, as long as that name is in the title or alternate title per IMDB, it's in.

Any other ideas or things I should get rid of? Keep in mind, the checklist is more a guide and does not reflect every type of film allowed in this challenge. Also, you don't have to hit every type on the checklist. It's really for hardcore.
I think you've done some wise streamlining there. The only quibble I have now is the inclusion of any decades before the 1930s. Exploitation and B-movie genres really didn't come into play until double features became a standard of theatrical distribution in the 1930s. Think B-westerns and Universal horror films (e.g. DRACULA'S DAUGHTER, Ulmer's THE BLACK CAT) and all those independently produced anti-drug films like REEFER MADNESS and COCAINE FIENDS. I'd be hard-pressed to think of anything before talkies that would fit any of the categories eligible. And even if they existed, they'd be very hard to find.
Old 03-10-11, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I'd be hard-pressed to think of anything before talkies that would fit any of the categories eligible
A few of Tod Browning's silents would fit the bill(s). Also, if anyone has any streaming-only suggestions to share, feel free to post them. The well-made, Robert Forster-narrated American Grindhouse is available here, and in hi-def to boot.
Old 03-10-11, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I think you've done some wise streamlining there. The only quibble I have now is the inclusion of any decades before the 1930s. Exploitation and B-movie genres really didn't come into play until double features became a standard of theatrical distribution in the 1930s. Think B-westerns and Universal horror films (e.g. DRACULA'S DAUGHTER, Ulmer's THE BLACK CAT) and all those independently produced anti-drug films like REEFER MADNESS and COCAINE FIENDS. I'd be hard-pressed to think of anything before talkies that would fit any of the categories eligible. And even if they existed, they'd be very hard to find.
Yeah, that's exactly what my thinking was, that's why they are purely optional, just in case someone actually finds something I didn't anticipate. I hate how the Horror has anything before 1920 as required. G's are optional, for obvious reasons. There are some religious exploitation films that got G, like the Sunn Classics Noah's Ark type films. PG-13 are optional because they really didn't exist in the time period I envision being most appropriate.

Speaking of checklists, are we Trevor-less? He seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.
Old 03-10-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Speaking of checklists, are we Trevor-less? He seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.
He's done got hisself a new romance. I friended him on Facebook and see status updates periodically. Hopefully, they'll eventually get to the point in their relationship that my wife and I have reached that allows for using these challenges to help guide our watching habits. But first, they've still got an awful lot of courtin' to do, methinks.
Old 03-10-11, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see the need to remove race films. You can find some at archive.org.
Old 03-10-11, 11:33 AM

I was just flipping through the guide on Lifetime Channel Movies, and there's noooo way I'm removing it. The titles are soooo freaking lurid. "The Boy She Met on the 'Net", "Long Island Lolita-The Amy Fisher Story", etc. Like I said last year, they are the modern airport paperback, if anyone remembers that cultural artifact.
Old 03-10-11, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
He's done got hisself a new romance. I friended him on Facebook and see status updates periodically. Hopefully, they'll eventually get to the point in their relationship that my wife and I have reached that allows for using these challenges to help guide our watching habits. But first, they've still got an awful lot of courtin' to do, methinks.
Perhaps his absence will give someone else a chance, then. Well, good for him. I myself just got married a couple months ago, but we've been common-law for 11 years so it wasn't as disruptive.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I don't see the need to remove race films. You can find some at archive.org.
They can still be watched, but I'm not requiring them on the checklist. Cabin In the Sky is on this week, along with the original Imitation of Life, ironically. But what I'm really talking about are the "race films" with the "all-colored" casts. Only a couple dozen even survive. I'll have to check out Archive to see what's there. There might have been some on TCM last month, but it slipped my mind to DVR them.
Old 03-10-11, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Yeah, that's exactly what my thinking was, that's why they are purely optional, just in case someone actually finds something I didn't anticipate. I hate how the Horror has anything before 1920 as required.
They don't have to be feature-length, right?

Edison's Trapeze Disrobing Act (1901) should qualify for a "1900" check and a "Sexploitation" check. Or The Good Old Naughty Days (2002) could give you checks for 1900s - 1920s.

If you don't want to watch nekkid people, the Douglas Fairbanks movie The Mystery of the Leaping Fish (1916) would give you a "1910" check and a "Stoner Film" check.
Old 03-10-11, 12:35 PM

I myself just got married a couple months ago, but we've been common-law for 11 years so it wasn't as disruptive.
That reminds me, I need to watch "Common Law Wife" next month.
Old 03-10-11, 12:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Old 03-10-11, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,013 Likes on 837 Posts

I miss Trevor too. He told us the update in one of the challenge threads, I think, and yeah, he used to be one of the heavy Challengers and a heavy contributor to the forum in general so I hope he returns at some point. One of his most recent posts was to reserve a spot in the Oscars challenge with a note "Probably out, but just in case."
Old 03-10-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Any movie that makes a "most disturbing" list is generally fair game.
Nice!

I was just flipping through the guide on Lifetime Channel Movies, and there's noooo way I'm removing it. The titles are soooo freaking lurid. "The Boy She Met on the 'Net", "Long Island Lolita-The Amy Fisher Story", etc. Like I said last year, they are the modern airport paperback, if anyone remembers that cultural artifact.
Old 03-10-11, 08:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm bummed that you took away the Catholic League rule, as I had several titles that qualified. Having said that, I totally understand why you did. This is one of the few challenges where I think it helps to be more restrictive in terms of what's allowed.
Old 03-10-11, 10:11 PM

You can still put those on your list. They just won't be on the checklist. I consider that a viewable category. But removing that category broke my heart. I just thought it would be easier to determine what the movies were than it turned out to be. Watching movies the Pope says you'll go to hell for watching and it will overlap into Lent is too perfect. Oh well.
Old 03-10-11, 10:30 PM

One of the books that got me into this interest was Cult Movies by Danny Peary. There's also CM2 and CM3 in the series. I originally wanted a checklist item for any movie listed in those three books. The only problem is that Cult Movies meant something different when that book was written. Back then, before the days of VHS (there was overlap, but it was before VHS really was big), Cult Movies meant you only watched them on the Late Late Movie, or you went to the local repertory theater, so you had to be a fanatic. Films like Casablanca, recognized as one of Hollywood's best films, were for years after their heyday the realm of movie geeks and thus were cult movies. We think of cult movies differently today. They are now films that may have been under-appreciated in original release but now have fanatical followings but you don't have to go out of your way to see them. I consider Cult Movies part of the domain of this challenge, but because the definition is so murky, I specifically didn't call this challenge a Cult Movie challenge. Danny Peary's Cult Movies book lists Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, and Wizard of Oz as cult movies, which they were back then, but I'm not sure if I can justify them being cult movies today, since they are so easily obtainable and have lost their allure.

Outrageous! (in the book) was on TCM the other night which made me think of this.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.