Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

Old 01-27-14, 11:56 AM
  #251  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,232
Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Seriously why are you so bent out of shape about this and insistent you don't believe it? I get that the show coming out has been a long and rough road but Warner and DC both confirmed it on their web sites and TVShowsonDVD.com confirmed it with them.
Not getting bent out of shape at all, I just have yet to see Warner confirm it. Them reposting a picture of a celebrity with the Batmobile, while not mentioning the release at all, does not a confirmation make. We have been burned before on this specific title.
Why are you getting so bent out of shape that I, and others, are not going to put much stock in this until we see a confirmation from the studio?
jjcool is offline  
Old 01-27-14, 01:25 PM
  #252  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The lonely depths of my mind
Posts: 3,863
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

There IS a confirmation from the studio. Tvshowsondvd.com spoke to them and they said it's coming out this year. I'm sorry that they didn't call you personally about it....
Spottedfeather is offline  
Old 01-27-14, 01:37 PM
  #253  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 17,137
Received 1,053 Likes on 795 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

TVshowsondvd confirmed it.

They saw the tweet and reached out to their industry contacts, the ones they've been using for years, and confirmed it.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bat...-Planned/19353

Wait, WHAT? YES! We've JUST gotten off the phone with Warner Home Video, and they confirm that the Adam West version of the Batman TV show IS indeed coming to DVD - FINALLY! - sometime in 2014. They have no other info for us at this moment in time, but stay tuned of course and we'll update you as further developments occur!

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bat...#ixzz2rcq0FsWX
milo bloom is offline  
Old 01-27-14, 02:42 PM
  #254  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,724
Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
Not getting bent out of shape at all, I just have yet to see Warner confirm it. Them reposting a picture of a celebrity with the Batmobile, while not mentioning the release at all, does not a confirmation make.
Did you bother to read the caption that went with the photo?

"Very excited @WBHomeEnt is releasing the Batman '66 Complete TV Series in 2014! This seat smells like Adam West."
How much more clearly could that have mentioned the release?
Travis McClain is offline  
Old 01-27-14, 03:09 PM
  #255  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,080
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
So them reposting a pic of someone with the Batmobile with no confirmation of the release is confirmation of the release? Sounds rational.
It's perfectly rational.

We're talking about someone who is a known fan of the show. Someone who worked on the Simpsons writing staff when Adam West appeared on the show. Someone who created a pilot starring Adam West. Someone who hosts a show from a stage on the Warner Bros lot. A stage on a lot that also houses the Warner Home Entertainment offices. A stage that is close enough to the Warner Animation offices that people like Bruce Timm have appeared in bits which led to Conan appearing in an animated Batman movie. People that will undoubtedly be interviewed for this project. Kinda like how Conan was most likely interviewed for the extras as well.

So again, either Conan is responsible for a hoax that both Warner Bros. and DC are carelessly perpetuating without, say, vetting, or Conan is involved or at least aware of through demonstrable industry connections of a legitimate release that has been vetted to the point that Warner and DC are comfortable confirming his tweet.

So I say again: there is enough evidence for any sane, rational person to take this as credible news.

And no, you have never before been burned by this particular title. The Batman TV series has never been announced for release in any official capacity before Conan's extremely credible and confirmed tweet.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 01-27-14 at 03:16 PM.
Guru Askew is offline  
Old 01-27-14, 03:38 PM
  #256  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,232
Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

Originally Posted by Travis McClain View Post
Did you bother to read the caption that went with the photo?



How much more clearly could that have mentioned the release?
They reposted what Conan wrote. They (Warner) made no mention whatsoever about what he wrote, simply implied that maybe Conan was Batman. Again, if they wanted to confirm the release, they should have.
jjcool is offline  
Old 01-27-14, 03:43 PM
  #257  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,232
Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

Originally Posted by Guru Askew View Post
It's perfectly rational.

We're talking about someone who is a known fan of the show. Someone who worked on the Simpsons writing staff when Adam West appeared on the show. Someone who created a pilot starring Adam West. Someone who hosts a show from a stage on the Warner Bros lot. A stage on a lot that also houses the Warner Home Entertainment offices. A stage that is close enough to the Warner Animation offices that people like Bruce Timm have appeared in bits which led to Conan appearing in an animated Batman movie. People that will undoubtedly be interviewed for this project. Kinda like how Conan was most likely interviewed for the extras as well.

So again, either Conan is responsible for a hoax that both Warner Bros. and DC are carelessly perpetuating without, say, vetting, or Conan is involved or at least aware of through demonstrable industry connections of a legitimate release that has been vetted to the point that Warner and DC are comfortable confirming his tweet.

So I say again: there is enough evidence for any sane, rational person to take this as credible news.

And no, you have never before been burned by this particular title. The Batman TV series has never been announced for release in any official capacity before Conan's extremely credible and confirmed tweet.
Again, any sane and rational person can see that this hasn't been officially confirmed by the studio by the simple fact that it hasn't been. What is so hard for you to understand? You keep mentioning that "they confirmed his tweet". They didn't. They simply reposted a picture of Conan with the Batmobile. Big whoop. Yet again, I, and I am sure others, will wait for actual confirmation from the studio that would be releasing this title, instead of taking an offhanded comment from a comedian that has tenuous ties to the project at best, as gospel. As any sane and rational person would. After all, we have been burned before with this title.
jjcool is offline  
Old 01-27-14, 03:56 PM
  #258  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,080
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
Again, any sane and rational person can see that this hasn't been officially confirmed by the studio by the simple fact that it hasn't been. What is so hard for you to understand? You keep mentioning that "they confirmed his tweet". They didn't. They simply reposted a picture of Conan with the Batmobile. Big whoop. Yet again, I, and I am sure others, will wait for actual confirmation from the studio that would be releasing this title, instead of taking an offhanded comment from a comedian that has tenuous ties to the project at best, as gospel. As any sane and rational person would. After all, we have been burned before with this title.
You're simply wrong. Both IGN and TVShowsonDVD had the news confirmed by contacts at Warner Home Entertainment. And DC Comics had a news item that stated that the video release was coming. It included Conan's tweet but it wasn't a simple retweet.

Your whole theory is based upon the demonstrably-false idea that all these people were completely distracted by the photo that Conan posted to the point that they didn't see what he wrote.
Guru Askew is offline  
Old 01-27-14, 04:59 PM
  #259  
Senior Member
 
mythmaker18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 690
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
They reposted what Conan wrote. They (Warner) made no mention whatsoever about what he wrote, simply implied that maybe Conan was Batman. Again, if they wanted to confirm the release, they should have.
You did read post #252, didn't you? If TVShowsOnDVD confirmed it with their reps at Warner, that's all I need to know. The reason we've not had an official press release yet is that it's still early days and they're going to wait to time the "big" announcement to coincide with an appropriately big event (either ComiCon or the Bat-Anniversary before that).

Their contacts have said "no" plenty of times in the past. There's no reason to think Warner reps would say "this year" to Dave and/or Gord if it wasn't really happening, as that would be a big PR mess if it was untrue.

I'm a big skeptic on a lot of things: until TVSoDVD made their announcement, I didn't believe. I still don't believe all the various loony rumours of vast quantities of re-discovered Doctor Who awaiting release, but I think we can finally say the wheels are finally in motion on Batman.
mythmaker18 is offline  
Old 01-27-14, 05:10 PM
  #260  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,232
Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

Originally Posted by Guru Askew View Post
You're simply wrong. Both IGN and TVShowsonDVD had the news confirmed by contacts at Warner Home Entertainment. And DC Comics had a news item that stated that the video release was coming. It included Conan's tweet but it wasn't a simple retweet.

Your whole theory is based upon the demonstrably-false idea that all these people were completely distracted by the photo that Conan posted to the point that they didn't see what he wrote.
My "theory" is based on the evidence that has been presented to me. The post on Warners facebook page showing the retweet of Conans photo and no mention on Warners part about the release. You seem unable to present any official confirmation that this is coming. It really shouldn't be that hard for you to understand. Until I see something official from someone that is actually involved in releasing this set, I am going to reserve judgement. As we all know, we have been burned on this title before.
jjcool is offline  
Old 01-27-14, 05:17 PM
  #261  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,232
Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

Originally Posted by mythmaker18 View Post
You did read post #252, didn't you? If TVShowsOnDVD confirmed it with their reps at Warner, that's all I need to know. The reason we've not had an official press release yet is that it's still early days and they're going to wait to time the "big" announcement to coincide with an appropriately big event (either ComiCon or the Bat-Anniversary before that).

Their contacts have said "no" plenty of times in the past. There's no reason to think Warner reps would say "this year" to Dave and/or Gord if it wasn't really happening, as that would be a big PR mess if it was untrue.

I'm a big skeptic on a lot of things: until TVSoDVD made their announcement, I didn't believe. I still don't believe all the various loony rumours of vast quantities of re-discovered Doctor Who awaiting release, but I think we can finally say the wheels are finally in motion on Batman.
You did read post #256, didn't you? I'm not really a fan of taking the word of unknown "sources". They tend to end up being the night janitor or some other such nonsense. The simple fact here, that some people can't seem to understand, is that this property has been talked about in this manner before, and we were burned. I am simply holding out for an official release from someone actually involved in the release of the set. Not a picture of a comedian in a car, or the word of someone who supposedly talked to someone that may or may not work for Warner.
jjcool is offline  
Old 01-27-14, 06:39 PM
  #262  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,080
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

Ok we get it. You think Conan's career as a comedian (a career that spans a quarter of a century without any false home video announcement pranks as far as I know) completely invalidates him as a source. You also apparently think IGN and TVShowsonDVD are similarly lacking in credibility and are not above lying about imaginary sources. And Warner Bros and DC Comics would be credible if not for the mere possibility that they're retweeting Conan the Merry Prankster with reckless abandon. Got it.

I guess there's no point in pointing out that USA Today and Licensing.biz reported on the release as well.

So again, I must say: there is enough evidence for any rational person to believe this is legitimate.

And again: I must also say: you have NOT been burned by this kind of announcement before. Did Craig Kilbourne announce this thing on Friendster 15 years ago or something?
Guru Askew is offline  
Old 01-28-14, 11:02 AM
  #263  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,232
Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

Originally Posted by Guru Askew View Post
Ok we get it. You think Conan's career as a comedian (a career that spans a quarter of a century without any false home video announcement pranks as far as I know) completely invalidates him as a source. You also apparently think IGN and TVShowsonDVD are similarly lacking in credibility and are not above lying about imaginary sources. And Warner Bros and DC Comics would be credible if not for the mere possibility that they're retweeting Conan the Merry Prankster with reckless abandon. Got it.

I guess there's no point in pointing out that USA Today and Licensing.biz reported on the release as well.

So again, I must say: there is enough evidence for any rational person to believe this is legitimate.

And again: I must also say: you have NOT been burned by this kind of announcement before. Did Craig Kilbourne announce this thing on Friendster 15 years ago or something?
Why are you getting so butthurt about me not believing this "news" until I see if from the horses mouth? Why does it bother you so much that I am not taking the word of a comedian that is completely unreleated to the property? I don't fully understand why you are having such a hard time understanding this. Anyone with a moderate level of intelligence should be able to. I will believe this news when the studio releasing it actually releases something confirming it. Not retweeting a picture of an unrelated comedian with no comment on the supposed news. As we all know, we have been burned with news like this before on this title.
jjcool is offline  
Old 01-28-14, 12:28 PM
  #264  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,417
Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

You keep ignoring the part where TVShowsonDVD.com verified it with WB.
joltman is offline  
Old 01-28-14, 01:18 PM
  #265  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,549
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

Why are you getting so butthurt about me not believing this "news" until I see if from the horses mouth? Why does it bother you so much that I am not taking the word of a comedian that is completely unreleated to the property? I don't fully understand why you are having such a hard time understanding this. Anyone with a moderate level of intelligence should be able to. I will believe this news when the studio releasing it actually releases something confirming it. Not retweeting a picture of an unrelated comedian with no comment on the supposed news. As we all know, we have been burned with news like this before on this title.
Ok, let's sum this up really easily.

1. Conan O' Brien sends a message to his nearly 10 million Twitter followers saying that the 60's Batman series is coming to DVD. This post tags both Warner Home Entertainment, and features the Adam West Batmobile. So obviously this was planed.

2. WB knows that by doing it this way it will build up more excitement for this, and get people talking before they do an official press release(most likely at Comic Con).

3. TV Shows on DVD confirmed it with people at WB. DC comics also confirms it, the Warner Home Video Facebook posts Conan's tweet, and it's picked up by the mainstream media including USA Today.

4. WB at no time has said"sorry folks it's not true". In the past they have always been forthcoming about the show coming to DVD and have not beaten around the bush about saying it isn't coming and won't show up in the foreseeable future. For as much traction as this is getting, they wouldn't want to wait and let it spiral out of control. That is just bad PR.

5. The merchandise rights to make things based on the TV series and it's likeness are finalized and start appearing. This was never done before and obviously if they were unable to clear this, the DVD release would be much farther off. Let's not forget that at no point in time after the show ended was there ever merchandise relating to it because of rights issues.

6. The merchandising was announced last year at Comic Con and rumors are that the DVD's would be announced then. However they aren't most likely because they still had some things to clear up.

With all these things shown I have no idea how anyone can still be "doubting" that something is going to be coming this year.

Last edited by robin2099; 01-28-14 at 01:29 PM.
robin2099 is offline  
Old 01-28-14, 01:23 PM
  #266  
M&J
Member
 
M&J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 119
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

You got it!
M&J is offline  
Old 01-28-14, 01:50 PM
  #267  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,080
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

The "butthurt" stuff is childish and says a lot about you. Far more than your "I'm gonna look super-cool when this thing doesn't pan out!" mentality.

I've gone into the split between the "deniers" and the "believers" before but you literally have to assume that Conan decided to prank basically online home video forums and websites and fooled several entities that would otherwise be quick to dismiss the hoax if it was actually a hoax. Do you honestly think that's a reasonable and/or sane scenario? A more reasonable or sane scenario than one in which Conan is actually privy to this information and all these other reports that support it are credible?

I'm no Dr. Phil but does this kind of borderline-paranoid mentality improve your life in any way? Do you feel like being let down after accepting this information like all the other reasonable people in this thread would set you up for some kind of catastrophic breakdown?

And finally, I ask, when have you been burned by an announcement like this before? That's the third time I've asked. The DVD format debuted in 1997 and nearly 17 years later this is the first time there's ever been any credible evidence that a home video release is coming.
Guru Askew is offline  
Old 01-28-14, 03:36 PM
  #268  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,232
Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

Originally Posted by Guru Askew View Post
The "butthurt" stuff is childish and says a lot about you. Far more than your "I'm gonna look super-cool when this thing doesn't pan out!" mentality.

I've gone into the split between the "deniers" and the "believers" before but you literally have to assume that Conan decided to prank basically online home video forums and websites and fooled several entities that would otherwise be quick to dismiss the hoax if it was actually a hoax. Do you honestly think that's a reasonable and/or sane scenario? A more reasonable or sane scenario than one in which Conan is actually privy to this information and all these other reports that support it are credible?

I'm no Dr. Phil but does this kind of borderline-paranoid mentality improve your life in any way? Do you feel like being let down after accepting this information like all the other reasonable people in this thread would set you up for some kind of catastrophic breakdown?

And finally, I ask, when have you been burned by an announcement like this before? That's the third time I've asked. The DVD format debuted in 1997 and nearly 17 years later this is the first time there's ever been any credible evidence that a home video release is coming.
Again I ask, why are you getting so butthurt about me not buying into this? All I am asking for is someone that is actually involved in the release to actually come out and say something about this release. You seem to think that Conan is the second coming of Christ or something, but I don't take his word as gospel. All I have seen Warner say on the topic is something about Conan and Batman never being seen at the same place at the same time. Very far from an acknowledgement or a confirmation that this is coming out. Yet again, we have been burned by scenarios like this before on this title, so I will withhold believing this is actually coming out until we see some official acknowledgement.
jjcool is offline  
Old 01-28-14, 04:16 PM
  #269  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 26,822
Received 1,307 Likes on 855 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
I will withhold believing this is actually coming out until we see some official acknowledgement.
Fine. You've made your point. Believe what you want. Stop posting about it. Things are just going around endlessly in circles, and I'm pretty sure everyone's sick to friggin' death of it.
Adam Tyner is online now  
Old 01-28-14, 04:18 PM
  #270  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 21,570
Received 330 Likes on 260 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

^
You win it's never coming out and Conan will look like a complete moran as soon as Warner tells us he was was lying. He'll probably get fired from his show too because of this.
whotony is offline  
Old 01-28-14, 04:21 PM
  #271  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
b2net's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,824
Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

I will wear oven mitts so I don't get burned.... Dissappointing or otherwise... er..uh... Well.... I'm not commenring further... We get what we get when we get it if we get it and until then we don't and so many other things go on.... Agree... Let's give it a rest.... This is almost as bad as the Star Wars announcement threads from a few years ago.... Yikes...
b2net is offline  
Old 01-28-14, 04:24 PM
  #272  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,080
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

And again, you have never "been burned by scenarios like this before." That is a fact.
Guru Askew is offline  
Old 01-28-14, 04:45 PM
  #273  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 40,943
Likes: 0
Received 3,262 Likes on 2,214 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
Ok, let's sum this up really easily.

1. Conan O' Brien sends a message to his nearly 10 million Twitter followers saying that the 60's Batman series is coming to DVD. This post tags both Warner Home Entertainment, and features the Adam West Batmobile. So obviously this was planed.

2. WB knows that by doing it this way it will build up more excitement for this, and get people talking before they do an official press release(most likely at Comic Con).

3. TV Shows on DVD confirmed it with people at WB. DC comics also confirms it, the Warner Home Video Facebook posts Conan's tweet, and it's picked up by the mainstream media including USA Today.

4. WB at no time has said"sorry folks it's not true". In the past they have always been forthcoming about the show coming to DVD and have not beaten around the bush about saying it isn't coming and won't show up in the foreseeable future. For as much traction as this is getting, they wouldn't want to wait and let it spiral out of control. That is just bad PR.

5. The merchandise rights to make things based on the TV series and it's likeness are finalized and start appearing. This was never done before and obviously if they were unable to clear this, the DVD release would be much farther off. Let's not forget that at no point in time after the show ended was there ever merchandise relating to it because of rights issues.

6. The merchandising was announced last year at Comic Con and rumors are that the DVD's would be announced then. However they aren't most likely because they still had some things to clear up.

With all these things shown I have no idea how anyone can still be "doubting" that something is going to be coming this year.
This isn't my forum, but this has gone on long enough.

Mod Note: With all these FACTS stated, can we end it here please. Stop giving in to him. It just running in circles.
dex14 is offline  
Old 01-29-14, 07:31 AM
  #274  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,232
Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

Originally Posted by Guru Askew View Post
And again, you have never "been burned by scenarios like this before." That is a fact.
Not true.
jjcool is offline  
Old 01-29-14, 02:23 PM
  #275  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Valeyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Building attractions one theme park at a time.
Posts: 10,800
Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

The Valeyard is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.