DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Indiana Jones Versions (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/587249-indiana-jones-versions.html)

Spottedfeather 02-07-11 10:26 PM

Indiana Jones Versions

I'm looking to get the Indiana Jones movies on dvd since, it doesn't seem that we're going to get them on blu-ray. I know there was a complete set a few years ago and then individual special editions in 2008. But what are the differences ? The complete set had four discs. What's on the set that's not on the individual ones ?

MTRodaba2468 02-07-11 10:37 PM

Re: Indiana Jones Versions

First of all, despite Paramount's reluctance to release catalog titles on Blu-Ray, it's a given that we will EVENTUALLY get these movies, especially considering Spielberg's support of the format.

With that said, the extras from the 4th disc of the complete set, to my knowledge, were not duplicated on the individual special editions. If you were looking to get a "definitive" version of the original three films, the best thing to do would be to get the individual special editions (which are collected in a box set as well) and then to try and find someone selling the bonus disc separately. I did the same thing with the Star Wars trilogy.

mdnitoil 02-07-11 10:48 PM

the box set has a 2 hour making of the trilogy feature. The individual releases had a bunch of lighter stuff. Cast of The Crystal Skull talking about their appreciation of the previous movies, Lego game feature, etc. It certainly looked like the meatier extras were on that bonus disc in the box set. Neither have commentaries, so nothing lost there.

EvlAsh 02-07-11 11:05 PM

Let's not forget the Best Buy bonus disc that came with the first boxed set. I don't know if that content made it on to the re-issues. The disc was labeled 'Raiders of the Lost Ark Classic Featurette'.

Spottedfeather 02-08-11 04:42 AM

I'm not getting the crap Crystal Skull movie. It was just garbage.

Spottedfeather 02-08-11 08:10 PM

Aside from the 4th bonus disc, are the extras on the box set from years ago the same as the ones on the newer special editions ?

dfmaverick2 02-08-11 08:46 PM

This is what I have. Not sure if there are other discs that I'm missing. Hope it helps.

4-Disc Box Set
===========
Raiders - Movie Only

Temple - Movie Only

Crusade - Movie Only

Bonus Material Disc:
Making the Trilogy (Raiders) :50.48
Making the Trilogy (Temple) :41.07
Making the Trilogy (Crusade) :35.02
Featurettes (Stunts) :10.56
Featurettes (Sound) :13.20
Featurettes (Music) :12.22
Featurettes (Light & Magic) :12.20
Trailers (Raiders: Teaser, Theatrical, Re-issue)
Trailers (Temple: Theatrical)
Trailers (Crusade: Teaser, Theatrical)

Retailer exclusive bonus disc:
Raiders Classic Featurette :09.56

Raiders Special Edition
=================
Movie
Bonus:
1. Raiders: An introduction :07.47
2. Indiana Jones: An appreciation :11.40
3. The Melting Face :08.48
4. Storyboards:Well of Souls :04.16
5. Galleries - Illustrations & Props, Production Photographs & Portraits, Effects/ILM, Marketing
6. Lego

Temple Special Edition
================
Movie
Bonus:
1. Temple: An introduction :05.58
2. The Creepy Crawlies :11.54
3. Travel w/Indy: Locations :10.30
4. Storyboards:Mine Cart :02.31
5. Galleries - Illustrations & Props, Production Photographs & Portraits, Effects/ILM, Marketing
6. Lego

Crusade Special Edition
=================
Movie
Bonus:
1. Crusade: An introduction :06.13
2. Indy's Women AFI tribute :09.23
3. Indy's Friends & Enemies :10.46
4. Storyboards:Opening Sequence :03.40
6. Lego

clappj 02-09-11 10:13 AM

I have the exclusive Best Buy bonus disc.
If you're interested in that, shoot me a PM.

MTRodaba2468 02-10-11 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather (Post 10630445)
Aside from the 4th bonus disc, are the extras on the box set from years ago the same as the ones on the newer special editions ?

As dmfa showed, the extras are different. The movie discs in the original box set only included the movie.

Spottedfeather 02-10-11 03:35 AM

This will help a lot. Thanks.

bigjim25 02-10-11 03:46 PM

The fourth disc from the original DVD set is selling for around $5 shipped on AMAZON incase you want to go for the SPECIAL EDITION DVDs so you can have all the features. Just thought I'd let you know.

Superdaddy 02-11-11 03:15 PM

No question these will be on Blu-ray eventually. They're too popular not to be released. Most likely no earlier than next year, since with Star Wars coming this fall, I'm sure Lucas won't want to bring out both of his big franchises at the same time.

Fok 02-13-11 07:50 PM

I'm going to hold out for the blu-rays as well.

Spottedfeather 02-13-11 08:13 PM

I probably will hold out for the blu-rays. As long as Melting Face extra is there. That's the one extra I'm interested in. Hopefully, they'll be available individually because I have absolutely no interest in the fourth one. It was good and all, up until the alien parts.

pbishop69 02-13-11 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather (Post 10637231)
I probably will hold out for the blu-rays. As long as Melting Face extra is there. That's the one extra I'm interested in. Hopefully, they'll be available individually because I have absolutely no interest in the fourth one. It was good and all, up until the alien parts.

CRYSTAL SKULL was AWFUL all the way through imo. It was so bad for so many reasons I don't know where to begin. I waited 15 long years for the 4th film like every other Indiana Jones and was devastated. I don't care what anyone says, CRYSTAL SKULL was one of the WORST sequels ever made. When I say that, I mean coming from a franchise where the original film was great. Just wanted to make that clear.

mickey65 02-14-11 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by pbishop69 (Post 10637239)
CRYSTAL SKULL was AWFUL all the way through imo. It was so bad for so many reasons I don't know where to begin. I waited 15 long years for the 4th film like every other Indiana Jones and was devastated. I don't care what anyone says, CRYSTAL SKULL was one of the WORST sequels ever made. When I say that, I mean coming from a franchise where the original film was great. Just wanted to make that clear.

I feel the same way about the Temple of Doom. I only have the first one and the third one in my collection.

pbishop69 02-14-11 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 10637647)
I feel the same way about the Temple of Doom. I only have the first one and the third one in my collection.

Even TEMPLE OF DOOM at it's worst, doesn't even compare to the awfulness of CRYSTAL SKULL. TEMPLE OF DOOM is still better than all the action films that have come out in the last 10 years. I mean that. Imo, the last 2 great action films were THE MATRIX and FACE/OFF. And yeah, that's a long time ago.

TehOH1 02-14-11 04:13 PM

I like Crystal Skull. Maybe it's because the first 3 movies came out before I was born and I didn't grow up watching them all the time, or maybe because I didn't see how it was any different than the first 3.

And I think the best action movie I've ever seen actually came out last year, so to say there's been no good action movies in 10 years or so is kind of strange to me.

pbishop69 02-14-11 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by TehOH1 (Post 10638341)
I like Crystal Skull. Maybe it's because the first 3 movies came out before I was born and I didn't grow up watching them all the time, or maybe because I didn't see how it was any different than the first 3.

And I think the best action movie I've ever seen actually came out last year, so to say there's been no good action movies in 10 years or so is kind of strange to me.

There have may been some GOOD action films in the last 10 years, but no GREAT ones. Do you consider FACE OFF and THE MATRIX great films? I'm just curious. If so, what film came out last year that ranks with MATRIX and FACE/OFF? I mean, if you liked CRYSTAL SKULL, were obviously not on the same level here. But that's ok....I'm just very picky I guess.

TehOH1 02-14-11 05:07 PM

I've never liked the Matrix because science fiction movies aren't really my thing. I probably haven't even seen 10 movies of that genre in my lifetime. That's mainly why I don't care enough for Star Wars or Star Trek or stuff like that to even see them. I've never seen Face/Off in full, so I won't talk about that.

And yes, I would put the Expendables up with any great action movie because it is that good, to me at least. But I might be biased, since I'm the type of "dumb" 20 year old guy that the movie is aimed at. Give me action, explosions and death like that for 2 hours over any other movie any day.

Rexxriot 02-14-11 10:29 PM

I liked Crystal Skull. It's not as good as the first three, but it was very entertaining. I saw it a while after it hit DVD and I was really worried because everyone talked about it not being good, but I enjoyed it.

Superdaddy 02-15-11 09:45 AM

Crystal Skull was a near-miss for me. Don't hate it, don't love it. If someone were to ask me if they should watch it, I'd say I can't recommend it, as I think it's the weakest of the films; watch the others first if you haven't already and then if you feel like it, your call. But I could easily live without watching it again.

The series should have been left alone at three films.

And I'm among those who loves Temple of Doom, loved it right from release day. Cut in a completely different mold from Raiders and Last Crusade, and successful for what it is.

As far as getting these onto BD, I'd bet that Lucasfilm will follow their typical release plan...box sets first (with all four films to annoy those who already bought CS on BD or don't want it at all), separate releases of the other three later. But maybe a miracle will happen.

RickWJ324 02-15-11 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by pbishop69 (Post 10637239)

I feel the same way pbishop69... just a very un-enjoyable film, all the way through. I grew up on Star Wars and Raiders films.. saw all of them in the theatre from the beginning. I feel the same way about Crystal Skull as I did/do feel about the Star Wars prequels.... just utter garbage (in my opinion!) To those that enjoy any/all of those films I can appreciate your opinion, but I truly dislike these films.

Josh-da-man 02-15-11 05:23 PM

The problem with Crystal Skull is that it did everything wrong:

Mutt was a dud character.
Too much CGI nonsense, namely the monkeys and ants.
Soviets were a poor substitute for Nazis.
The crystal skulls were dopey.
The flying saucer and aliens were dopier.

It was good to see Marion again, but everything about the movie was just wrong for an Indiana Jones movie. It seemed more like a Tomb Raider or Mummy knock-off than a fucking Indiana Jones film.

mdnitoil 02-15-11 06:43 PM

I suspect some of you guys missed the point, not that it makes it a better movie. The original Indiana trilogy was set during the war years. They were also a tribute to the serial-style high adventure product being put out by Hollywood during that time period, so they were working on two levels.

Crystal Skull is set during the fifties. Obviously we move over to the red menace, but also we migrate to cheesy drive-in sci-fi that dominated 50's Hollywood, and no longer the serialized action stuff. Naturally, the movie is going to come off as cheesy sci-fi, that was half the point.

Like I said, doesn't make the movie any better.