Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-15-14, 08:11 PM   #126
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies on DVD: The Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Thanks!
Here you are..."the DVD edition of the Platinum Collection Volume Three and the DVD debut of Daffy Duck's Movie: Fantastic Island--are now available at Walmart stores...three months before their general retail release!

We can confirm that this is a three-month window exclusive to the big-box retailer. Platinum Collection Volume Three is on sale there for $19.96, while Daffy Duck's Fantastic Island sells for $9.96"...just look for them in the New Release or cartoon section (middle part of the electronics dept at most locations with the WM stickers.
Old 10-15-14, 10:58 PM   #127
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw650 View Post
Here you are..."the DVD edition of the Platinum Collection Volume Three and the DVD debut of Daffy Duck's Movie: Fantastic Island--are now available at Walmart stores...three months before their general retail release!

We can confirm that this is a three-month window exclusive to the big-box retailer. Platinum Collection Volume Three is on sale there for $19.96, while Daffy Duck's Fantastic Island sells for $9.96"...just look for them in the New Release or cartoon section (middle part of the electronics dept at most locations with the WM stickers.

Thanks.

So the November amazon thing is still a go. I was worried that it had been canceled.

There's no Wal-Mart near me, and I don't drive. I'll just wait the few weeks.
Old 10-25-14, 10:16 AM   #128
Banned

Quote:

i have "looney tunes golden edition the 6 dvd set.
are the platinum collection vol.3 cartoons all new to dvd and none are in the golden collection?
Old 10-25-14, 05:36 PM   #129
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostaccioli View Post
are the platinum collection vol.3 cartoons all new to dvd and none are in the golden collection?
Here you are...6th article in this link...http://www.dohtem.com/bugs/news/
Old 10-25-14, 08:20 PM   #130
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostaccioli View Post

The vast majority of the cartoons in the three Platinum Collections are duplicates of cartoons that were already on the six Golden Collections.
Old 10-26-14, 06:10 PM   #131
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry I've been lax in updating this thread. When I get some free time in a couple weeks I'll try and do an overhaul including updating the list of releases so everyone can see what shorts have been released and where they're available at.
Old 10-26-14, 10:33 PM   #132
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle View Post
the vast majority of the cartoons in the three platinum collections are duplicates of cartoons that were already on the six golden collections.
thankx!
Old 10-27-14, 12:49 AM   #133
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, though volume three looks like the end of the line for Platinum collections. I hear they are shifting toward character-focused releases going forward.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 11-01-14, 06:33 PM   #134
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it seemed a bit odd that after each of the first two platinum collections contained all the major characters on the first disc, the third collection does not follow this pattern, and instead, the first disc consists almost entirely of Bugs Bunny cartoons.

This comment from an amazon customer review explains why:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R21F6NA...wasThisHelpful

A follow-up for those blu-ray lovers interested in collecting the contents of "100 Greatest Looney Tunes" by Jerry Beck:

91 of the 100 are contained on the 3 Platinum Collections, with 2 more on the "Mouse Chronicles" collection.

Of the remaining 7:

- 2 cartoons ("Tin Pan Alley Cats" and "Snow White and De Sebben Dwarfs," 2 of the "censored eleven") have never been officially released by Warner Bros. on DVD or Blu-ray.

- "Cinderella Meets Fella" is available as an unrestored DVD extra on "Gold Diggers in Paris." (There is a Wikipedia entry that mistakenly indicates otherwise, but I own the DVD and can verify that "Cinderella" is on it.)

- 4 cartoons: "Eatin' on the Cuff," "Much Ado About Nutting," "Pigs is Pigs" and "Thugs With Dirty Mugs" are on the DVD Golden collections but not yet available on blu-ray.

By the way:

- 2 cartoons: "Honey's Money" and "Tree for Two" are (until Platinum 3 is released on DVD) only on blu-ray and not on DVD.

- 2 cartoons ("8 Ball Bunny" and "Robin Hood Daffy") have been released twice on blu-ray, on the Platinum Collections and on the "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and "Adventures of Robin Hood" blu-rays.

Before posting corrections, please note that I'm only referring to the 100 cartoons listed in Beck's 2010 book.
Old 08-28-17, 09:06 PM   #135
DVD Talk Legend

Surprised this hasn't been posted, but our favorite pig is getting a nice set.

http://www.animationscoop.com/warner...vd-collection/

101 shorts on 5 DVDs. The first sales through the WBShop will be pressed, but after that they'll be DVD-R.

Price at the WBShop is $47.99. I've never ordered there, how is shipping?

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
Old 08-29-17, 06:49 PM   #136
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post

101 shorts on 5 DVDs. The first sales through the WBShop will be pressed, but after that they'll be DVD-R.

And a good price to be had from now until the month's end at $34.98...https://www.classicflix.com/products...warner-archive
Old 08-29-17, 06:50 PM   #137
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:

Milo, get it at Classicflix.com for $34.98 + 3 bucks s&H charges but it's only good until the month's end. Much better deal than what WB Shop is offering it for at this time.
Old 08-29-17, 07:44 PM   #138
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Milo, get it at Classicflix.com for $34.98 + 3 bucks s&H charges but it's only good until the month's end. Much better deal than what WB Shop is offering it for at this time.
According to Jerry Beck --

Quote:
The retail price is $47.99. In anticipation of high consumer demand, initial copies of Porky Pig 101, ordered via the Warner Archives website, will be traditionally manufactured using replicated (pressed) discs.
Also heard that this set is a test balloon. If it sells well enough we could see a Tex Avery MGM box in a similar vein. I will, of course, believe it when I see it.
Old 08-29-17, 08:17 PM   #139
DVD Talk Legend

That's my concern, will the version at ClassicFlix be pressed or burned discs?

Old 08-29-17, 09:54 PM   #140
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
If I understood correctly you can only get the pressed discs from the WBShop (which is why I ponied up during the eclipse sale).
Old 08-30-17, 09:26 PM   #141
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Milo, the decision will ultimately be yours to make here but you have until tomorrow night to decide on it pricewise...get it now for $35.00 and change or get it at WB Shop for $48.00 and change as I'm just looking at this from a cost perspective but if you want the pressed versions, go with WB SHOP but to me and if it was me, I'd do the Classicflix version instead.
Old 08-31-17, 01:11 PM   #142

As I said on another thread, there have been posts here of WA titles via Deep Discount and perhaps others sellers arriving pressed (the Forbidden Hollywood collection comes to mind). I won't pay good money for DVD-R's but will take a chance on ClassicFlix because the price is so good and then just leave it wrapped until there's word from the community. If it's DVD-R's then I'll return it and wait for a Black Friday sale. I expect WA will have pressed stock at least through Christmas.
Old 08-31-17, 01:40 PM   #143
DVD Talk Legend

I have no inside info but I suspect initial copies to all retailers will be pressed. I believe Warner Archive presses 500-1000 copies before shifting to DVD-Rs.

Old 08-31-17, 03:12 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I believe Warner Archive presses 500-1000 copies before shifting to DVD-Rs.
That few?? I would have expected 2 or 3 times that amount. I wonder if anybody's asked George Feltenstein lately?
Old 08-31-17, 03:27 PM   #145
DVD Talk Special Edition

Milo, if you'd like, Amazon now has it available at a reduced price of $36.26 via this link I just spotted today (8/31/2017)...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Old 08-31-17, 03:33 PM   #146
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetao View Post
That few?? I would have expected 2 or 3 times that amount. I wonder if anybody's asked George Feltenstein lately?
I asked ClassicFlix on Facebook and they said they didn't know what they would get.

Quote:
Milo, if you'd like, Amazon now has it available at a reduced price of $36.26 via this link I just spotted today (8/31/2017)...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Shows as DVDR in the description.

I might not even bother, watching shorts with the same character over and over really gets tiresome. I really would prefer discs that emulate how TV stations used to play them, an hour or so of mixed characters.

Old 08-31-17, 03:44 PM   #147
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Quote:
I asked ClassicFlix on Facebook and they said they didn't know what they would get.

Shows as DVDR in the description.

I might not even bother, watching shorts with the same character over and over really gets tiresome. I really would prefer discs that emulate how TV stations used to play them, an hour or so of mixed characters.
I don't know that I'd trust Amazon. With them having their "CreateSpace" program they're just as likely to burn it themselves as to provide a copy from Warner Archive. Every WA title I've ordered from Amazon has been burned - even when WA still shows to have pressed copies. I no longer order WA DVD titles from Amazon because of that. I'd rather pay more and get pressed.
Old 08-31-17, 04:25 PM   #148
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Agreed. I thought about the Porky set for a bit but truthfully he's not my favorite character. I'd much rather get some more of the Golden/Platinum Collections that include some Porky shorts. I fell way behind and only have the first volume of each. I should scoop up the others at some point.
Old 08-31-17, 07:14 PM   #149

I would have preferred more Golden Collections, too. On Blu-Ray would have been good. I never cared for Warner's approach with the Platinum sets, with all the re-hashed and unrestored shorts. There is just one Porky on my "most wanted" list, two if you count Daffy Doodles, but this set barely crosses into color territory. A few years ago I found lists of shorts for Golden Collections 7 and 8 on a Wikipedia sub-server, but never figured out if they were official or just one fan's wish list. Combined I believe they still hardly dented my list, which just like the Porky set, suggests it's gonna be a loooong time before most Looney Tunes fans are content.
Old 09-01-17, 01:56 PM   #150
DVD Talk Legend

I would be wary of ordering from Amazon if you want the pressed DVDs. Warner and Amazon have had issues in the past.