Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 5th Annual Academy Award Challenge (1/27 - 2/27)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 5th Annual Academy Award Challenge (1/27 - 2/27)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-11, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: The 5th Annual Academy Award Challenge (1/27 - 2/27)

(Cardiff & MinL, check your pms at icheck)

I'll give this one a go. And as usual for me, there will be a lot of first-time-viewings planned.
Old 01-15-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey31
For the "In Memoriam" Wild Card, does the film have to have been nominated for an Oscar? If so Easy Rider is a bad choice for an example, as it was nominated for 2.

Something like say... Super Mario Bros. would be a better example for Dennis Hopper.
If I remember the rules correctly Super Mario Bros would work for the Wild Card. As long as the cast or crew is on the memoriam list, the fact that the movie wasn't nominated for or awarded an Oscar doesn't matter.
Old 01-15-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
You know, as host of the TV on DVD* Challenge it didn't even cross my mind that there might be a title or two out there that would be eligible for both. Absolutely, you can count it as far as I'm concerned. I'll have to poke my head around the web and see if I can identify any others. Thanks for bringing this up!
"Twilight Zone" An Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge (1964)
Old 01-15-11, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re: Chicago - I'm not generally big on musicals, but I kinda liked this one. I don't know your taste well enough to know what, if any, elements might appeal to you but I got a kick out of a number performed by Queen Latifah in prison.
I noticed that it's on Netflix Streaming...added to Instant Queue. If I don't like it, at least I still have checked off another Best Picture winner. I rarely enjoy musicals, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

You know, as host of the TV on DVD* Challenge it didn't even cross my mind that there might be a title or two out there that would be eligible for both. Absolutely, you can count it as far as I'm concerned. I'll have to poke my head around the web and see if I can identify any others. Thanks for bringing this up!
No problem. Here's how I got there: During the Criterion Challenge I wanted to watch Fanny and Alexander the Television version, but ran low on time. I said, I'll catch it during the Holiday Challenge (takes place during that time of year), then I didn't participate. Then, I said, TV Challenge, but I still haven't watched it. It's one of my favorite films (in my top 5), but it's around 4-5 hours and usually requires two nights of viewing for me.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
(Cardiff & MinL, check your pms at icheck)
Added.

Originally Posted by KaBluie
"Twilight Zone" An Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge (1964)
For those looking for a short film, this is a great choice. I first saw this in high school and I now teach it in my own course. It's a great adaptation of a great story (and you can find it on YouTube). This was picked up by Twilight Zone after it was already made because Twilight Zone was running low on money and used something that was already produced. Great acting and great visuals.
Old 01-16-11, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm confused with why people are asking about TV versions of movies. This challenge is specifically reserved for Academy Award nominated or winners for film. No awards are given out for TV, forgive me if I am missing something. As for the "In Memorium" wild card I'm going to have to say that it stay reserved for films and not include TV episodes or anything, it's just going to get too hectic with that.

And yes, ANY film from the deceased person's filmography will count, so you can "Super Mario Bros." for Dennis Hopper, I just picked "Easy Rider" because it was the first film I could think of for Dennis Hopper.
Old 01-16-11, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I'm confused with why people are asking about TV versions of movies. This challenge is specifically reserved for Academy Award nominated or winners for film. No awards are given out for TV, forgive me if I am missing something.
Academy Award winning Fanny and Alexander was originally presented as a four-episode television event in Sweden. The Academy Awards recognized the theatrical cut, which omitted two hours of material. You can read more from the Criterion website here.

As for An Occurrence at Owl Creek, it was a French short film that was later presented as an episode of The Twilight Zone. You can read more from Wikipedia here.

In both instances, the Academy Awards recognized a different cut than was presented on television. Ultimately, it's no different a choice for a viewer than a theatrical vs. extended cut, but because these two cuts were specifically made for television, they have the rare distinction of having dual membership in these two challenges.
Old 01-16-11, 08:24 AM

Academy Award winning Fanny and Alexander was originally presented as a four-episode television event in Sweden. The Academy Awards recognized the theatrical cut, which omitted two hours of material. You can read more from the Criterion website here.

As for An Occurrence at Owl Creek, it was a French short film that was later presented as an episode of The Twilight Zone. You can read more from Wikipedia here.

In both instances, the Academy Awards recognized a different cut than was presented on television. Ultimately, it's no different a choice for a viewer than a theatrical vs. extended cut, but because these two cuts were specifically made for television, they have the rare distinction of having dual membership in these two challenges.
I guess the Fanny and Alexander thing is an okay entry, but Twilight Zone seems to be stretching it a bit.
Old 01-16-11, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I found another one that's eligible for both the TV on DVD and Academy Award challenges:
"Man in Space"
It's on the Walt Disney Treasures: Tomorrowland DVD box set. It first aired on the Disneyland TV show on March 9, 1955, but was released theatrically the following year and was nominated for a Best Documentary Short Oscar for 1956.

I've already seen it for the TV on DVD challenge.
Old 01-16-11, 11:02 AM

I guess the Fanny and Alexander thing is an okay entry, but Twilight Zone seems to be stretching it a bit.
Now, I'm confused. An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge won an Academy Award for short film, then The Twilight Zone used that exact Academy Award nominated film on its show. How is that ineligible for either (especially this challenge)? I'm just curious, do you think it's ineligible for the Academy Award Challenge or the TV on DVD Challenge? It won an Academy Award and we have some members that have been watching The Twilight Zone Seasons on DVD in the other Challenge.

I honestly don't care as I might not even "use" any of the cross-listed titles, but I'm not sure why they wouldn't count for both. If anything, I think having cross-listed titles can help participation in both Challenges: people won't leave the TV on DVD one early and/or won't come to the Academy Award one late.
Old 01-16-11, 01:46 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

The Last Emperor (1987) might be eligible for TV and Academy Award Challenge overlap also.
Old 01-16-11, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
Now, I'm confused. An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge won an Academy Award for short film, then The Twilight Zone used that exact Academy Award nominated film on its show. How is that ineligible for either (especially this challenge)? I'm just curious, do you think it's ineligible for the Academy Award Challenge or the TV on DVD Challenge? It won an Academy Award and we have some members that have been watching The Twilight Zone Seasons on DVD in the other Challenge.
I'm with CardiffGiant on this. (Maybe if we had Criterion make the case for Owl Creek it would be "an okay entry?)" As for its eligibility, I can only tell you it's A-OK for the TV on DVD* Challenge.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I found another one that's eligible for both the TV on DVD and Academy Award challenges:
"Man in Space"
It's on the Walt Disney Treasures: Tomorrowland DVD box set. It first aired on the Disneyland TV show on March 9, 1955, but was released theatrically the following year and was nominated for a Best Documentary Short Oscar for 1956.

I've already seen it for the TV on DVD challenge.
Good to know! This little subset is particularly fascinating.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
The Last Emperor (1987) might be eligible for TV and Academy Award Challenge overlap also.
I just perused its Wikipedia page and didn't see anything about its relationship with television. Could you expand on this suggestion?
Old 01-16-11, 06:29 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I just perused its Wikipedia page and didn't see anything about its relationship with television. Could you expand on this suggestion?
There is an extended television version of The Last Emperor (1987). The material added to the theatrical release makes a 218 television cut (versus 160 minute theatrical release).

Last edited by Undeadcow; 01-16-11 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-17-11, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One person I wanted to honor in the "In Memoriam" section is Bill Mullin, the D-Day piper whose story is depicted as part of THE LONGEST DAY, and who passed last year. THE LONGEST DAY certainly has enough nominations to qualify for the challenge, so I thought I'd just add Mullin's RIP after the title, but it does introduce a question about the In Memoriam option: should the option be expanded to include non-film personnel who are the subject of biographies that have passed during the year?

Last edited by Doc Moonlight; 01-22-11 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-17-11, 12:02 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Since today is "Have some Cheese with your Whine Day". Tonight I've decided to watch my copy of the Movie that has the 1947 Best Song Award!
Old 01-17-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
There is an extended television version of The Last Emperor (1987). The material added to the theatrical release makes a 218 television cut (versus 160 minute theatrical release).
I saw that there was an extended cut, but didn't see that it was produced that way expressly for television. So that brings us up to four titles with dual citizenship, no?
Old 01-17-11, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Olivier Assayas' CARLOS is eligible for the TV on DVD challenge, because it ran as a miniseries on the Sundance Channel. If the theatrical cut gets nominated for an Oscar then it's another one that should be eligible for both challenges.
Old 01-17-11, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Regulus
Since today is "Have some Cheese with your Whine Day". Tonight I've decided to watch my copy of the Movie that has the 1947 Best Song Award!
What's "Have Some Cheese with Your Whine" Day? And where'd you get your copy of SONG OF THE SOUTH???
Old 01-19-11, 08:26 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Olivier Assayas' CARLOS is eligible for the TV on DVD challenge, because it ran as a miniseries on the Sundance Channel. If the theatrical cut gets nominated for an Oscar then it's another one that should be eligible for both challenges.
"Carlos" is not eligible for an Oscar, as it was not submitted in the standard or foreign categories and was first shown in a non-qualifying format. That said, still worth a look...it is brilliant!
Old 01-21-11, 08:26 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Just a question, why doesn't this start on Jan. 25th, when the 2011 nominations are announced? That's like Thanksgiving for the Oscar season and the ceremony would be Xmas.
Old 01-21-11, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
Just a question, why doesn't this start on Jan. 25th, when the 2011 nominations are announced? That's like Thanksgiving for the Oscar season and the ceremony would be Xmas.
Because I tried to keep it to 1 month as the other challenges are. The Holiday Challenge is the only one that is longer than a month since Thanksgiving, New Years Eve & Day are included.
Old 01-22-11, 03:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I always do the month of February, no days in January, but don't list (here) those that fall outside the "official" challenge dates. I do this mainly because everything shown on TCM in February qualifies and I usually don't care about the latest nominees.
Old 01-22-11, 09:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mao
"Carlos" is not eligible for an Oscar, as it was not submitted in the standard or foreign categories and was first shown in a non-qualifying format. That said, still worth a look...it is brilliant!
so how did 'Last Emperor' and 'Fanny & Alexander' not get bumped off consideration, weren't the mini-series versions released prior to their theatrical edited down versions?
Old 01-22-11, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of the great things about going through lists of Oscar nominees is finding all the more obscure, but worthy titles that got nominated in oddball categories that can be discovered/re-discovered in a challenge like this. I don’t know how many of you are familiar with the low-budget zombie comedy, KING OF THE ZOMBIES (1941), that became something of a cult classic when it was re-discovered in the 1980s, but in the year of Bernard Herrmann’s groundbreaking score for CITIZEN KANE, this film was actually nominated for Best Music Score! The film is notable for its wisecracking black sidekick, played by Mantan Moreland, who takes the film and runs with it and never looks back.

I’ve got tons of stuff in my collection, on tape and DVD, that I haven’t watched yet or have been intending to re-watch, that I can watch for this:

DARK COMMAND (1940) – a Civil War western starring John Wayne AND Roy Rogers! One of the TV episodes I watched for the TV on DVD challenge used stock footage from this film so now I want to see this film again.

T-MEN (1947) – This is a highly regarded film noir directed by Anthony Mann that’s been on my shelf in a VHS pre-record for years.

BAREFOOT CONTESSA (1954) – Edmond O’Brien got his Oscar for this film and Ava Gardner considered it one of her favorite performances. I recently read a bio about her, so now I want to see this. I tried watching it once and it’s pretty slow going, but I’ll force myself through it this time.

HUD (1963) – Famous for being a film about a heel (played by Paul Newman) without any redeeming virtues, who gets some kind of comeuppance at the end. Perceptive critics at the time noted that audiences LIKED the guy when he was a heel and rooted for him and balked at the false ending. Now I’m finally going to watch it.

Deanna Durbin – I have two box sets of films starring this young singer-actress who, as a teenage girl in the 1930s, became one of Hollywood’s biggest stars and singlehandedly saved Universal Pictures from bankruptcy. (She retired in the late 1940s, still in her 20s.)

Six of the films in my Durbin box sets were nominated for Oscars, so I’m going to be watching these:
THREE SMART GIRLS
MAD ABOUT MUSIC
FIRST LOVE
IT STARTED WITH EVE
LADY ON A TRAIN
CAN’T HELP SINGING
The story about Deanna Durbin is that she and Judy Garland appeared in a singing short together and Louis B. Mayer (MGM) ordered an executive to "sign up the chubby one" so he signed up Judy Garland. When Mayer found out, he was furious--he meant Deanna Durbin! By then it was too late, since Joseph Pasternak at Universal had quickly signed Deanna to a contract. Deanna's 89 years old now and living in France (or Switzerland?). She left Hollywood 60 years ago and never looked back. But she was a pretty amazing entertainer.

Others:
I have DVDs of these and have never watched them, so now’s the chance:
FLOWER DRUM SONG (1961)
THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY (1965)
SWEET CHARITY (1969)

Best Picture winners I’ve never seen that I have on tape:
CAVALCADE (1933)
A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS (1966)

I have tons of Best Picture nominees on tape that I’ve never seen. These are my priorities:
THE BIG HOUSE (1930)
THE GOOD EARTH (1937)
THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK (1959)
FUNNY GIRL (1968)
THE LION IN WINTER (1968)
CABARET (1972)
ALL THAT JAZZ (1979)

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 01-22-11 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-22-11, 01:57 PM

General Spanky is on TCM on the 25th, Merrily We Live and Topper Takes a Trip are on the 26th and The Merry Widow is on the 28th.

Looking at my list from last year, I really crapped out on this Challenge. I watched movies for a week and then felt totally burnt out, so I stopped. I think it took me six months to finally clean out my DVR of TCM films that I was not motivated to watch. I still have to look through their March schedule to see how much space I am going to take up. This year's goal is 15, one every other day.
Old 01-22-11, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
so how did 'Last Emperor' and 'Fanny & Alexander' not get bumped off consideration, weren't the mini-series versions released prior to their theatrical edited down versions?
Fanny and Alexander was created with a 4-part TV series in mind (this is the 312-minute version), but was later cut for theatrical release (this is the 188-minute version). The theatrical release was released first, but both have appeared in theaters. So, the intention was to release the mini-series first, but it didn't work out that way.

As a side note, this film won not only Best Foreign Language Film, but it also won: Art Direction, Cinematography, and Costume Design. It was also nominated for Best Director and Original Screenplay (but didn't win those). So, this film can certainly earn you some checks if you're doing the checklist.

I think it's a fascinating film and, if anyone is overwhelmed by the 312-minutes, I recommend watching it over the course of back-to-back days. The first time I watched it, this is what I did and it was manageable. Of course, Bergman is my favorite director and this is tied for my favorite Bergman film (with The Seventh Seal), so I'm biased.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.