DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The 5th Annual Academy Award Challenge (1/27 - 2/27) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/584543-5th-annual-academy-award-challenge-1-27-2-27-a.html)

Travis McClain 01-22-11 11:43 PM

Re: The 5th Annual Academy Award Challenge (1/27 - 2/27)

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant (Post 10603144)
Fanny and Alexander was created with a 4-part TV series in mind (this is the 312-minute version), but was later cut for theatrical release (this is the 188-minute version). The theatrical release was released first, but both have appeared in theaters. So, the intention was to release the mini-series first, but it didn't work out that way.

As a side note, this film won not only Best Foreign Language Film, but it also won: Art Direction, Cinematography, and Costume Design. It was also nominated for Best Director and Original Screenplay (but didn't win those). So, this film can certainly earn you some checks if you're doing the checklist.

I think it's a fascinating film and, if anyone is overwhelmed by the 312-minutes, I recommend watching it over the course of back-to-back days. The first time I watched it, this is what I did and it was manageable. Of course, Bergman is my favorite director and this is tied for my favorite Bergman film (with The Seventh Seal), so I'm biased.

The theatrical cut is available for streaming from Netflix, but not the television cut. :( I had never seen any Bergman until I was enticed by last year's Criterion Challenge, and I thoroughly loved all four that I watched (I went with the four that comprise the "Four Masterworks" box set: The Seventh Seal, Smiles of a Summer Night, The Virgin Spring and Wild Strawberries). I can't say definitively that I'm in for this during the Academy Awards Challenge, but it's certainly on my To See list based on my enjoyment of those other four films.

(And, of course, getting all those checks at once is awfully tempting!)

CardiffGiant 01-23-11 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw (Post 10603180)
The theatrical cut is available for streaming from Netflix, but not the television cut. :( I had never seen any Bergman until I was enticed by last year's Criterion Challenge, and I thoroughly loved all four that I watched (I went with the four that comprise the "Four Masterworks" box set: The Seventh Seal, Smiles of a Summer Night, The Virgin Spring and Wild Strawberries). I can't say definitively that I'm in for this during the Academy Awards Challenge, but it's certainly on my To See list based on my enjoyment of those other four films.

(And, of course, getting all those checks at once is awfully tempting!)

Those "Four Masterworks" are great and I think a good, accessible approach to Bergman. If you can, I strongly recommend the television version. I know it's a pain to get the discs (especially since it's on 2 discs), but I really do think that it's a great film.

I picked up the BBS Story box set a few weeks ago, so I'll probably break open a couple of films that were nominated (Easy Rider, The Last Picture Show, Five Easy Pieces).

Icheckmovies is really staring me down with the empty spots on my Best Picture winners.

Mondo Kane 01-23-11 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant (Post 10603308)
Icheckmovies is really staring me down with the empty spots on my Best Picture winners.

I got 10 unchecked there. I'm in no big hurry to fill it all up yet, but I'll definetly try to make time for Fair Lady & Sound/Music. Hopefully TCM can help me out with a few others.

Giles 01-25-11 07:20 PM

when's the 'list' thread coming up?

The Monkees 01-25-11 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 10608127)
when's the 'list' thread coming up?

I didn't realize what day it was, it should be up in a few minutes. :)

Travis McClain 01-25-11 11:56 PM

If you're serious about your predictions, you can try to outguess Roger Ebert and win $100,000 from Mubi here. I've already made my predictions. Doubt I'll win, but I feel fairly confident about most of them.

The Monkees 01-25-11 11:57 PM

Lists thread is up here

Ash Ketchum 01-26-11 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by The Monkees (Post 10608532)
Lists thread is up here

Can you get the moderator to put a "sticky" on it before it slides down the board?

Indy24LA 01-26-11 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 10609022)
'put a "sticky" on it before it slides down'

If only I had a quarter for every time my ex used to say that.

CardiffGiant 01-27-11 12:47 AM

I watched a couple of shorts to kick off the challenge. If you're looking for Animated Short and Documentary Short, I have the videos embedded in my list (there is a link in my signature). I don't plan to do watch too many shorts, but those that I do watch, I'll be sure to link to in my list.

Trevor 01-27-11 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 10609022)
Can you get the moderator to put a "sticky" on it before it slides down the board?

You can do that yourself you know. It just takes one of us contacting a mod.

Ash Ketchum 01-27-11 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10610336)

Who's the mod for this board?

Ash Ketchum 01-27-11 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10610336)

Whoever starts a list thread should immediately contact the moderator and request a "sticky" when he does so. It should be an automatic part of the process.

Numes 01-27-11 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 10610965)
Whoever starts a list thread should immediately contact the moderator and request a "sticky" when he does so. It should be an automatic part of the process.

I don't necessarily agree. Personally, I think the number of stickies is way too many and it cuts down on the number of threads in the thread list. I always use my User CP, anyways, to go to my subscribed threads (or e-mail notice.) If I was the OP, I wouldn't automatically request a sticky. That said, if someone DOES want it a sticky, it's fine with me.

The bottom right of the thread list in this sub-forum lists the moderators (in very small print): nemein, Scott_Lecter

Travis McClain 01-28-11 09:46 AM

Incidentally, I just realized that a few of the Star Trek features have "dual citizenship" with this and the TV on DVD* Challenge:

Star Trek (2009) Won: Makeup; Nominated: Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects
Star Trek: First Contact (1996) Nominated: Makeup
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) Nominated: Art Direction, Music (Original Score), Visual Effects
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) Nominated: Cinematography, Music (Original Score), Sound, Sound Effects Editing
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991) Nominated: Makeup, Sound Effects Editing

I think that doubles the list of movies that qualify for this brief overlap period!

Mao 01-28-11 05:07 PM

Okay, so where is everyone getting the info that looks like:

Nominee CINEMATOGRAPHY (Color)
Nominee DIRECTING -- Alfred Hitchcock
Nominee SOUND RECORDING
Nominee WRITING (Screenplay)

and how do you do it? I'm just dense, sorry!

Fist of Doom 01-28-11 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mao (Post 10612751)
Okay, so where is everyone getting the info that looks like:

Nominee CINEMATOGRAPHY (Color)
Nominee DIRECTING -- Alfred Hitchcock
Nominee SOUND RECORDING
Nominee WRITING (Screenplay)

and how do you do it? I'm just dense, sorry!

Oscar database

Mao 01-28-11 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom (Post 10612783)

The results format looks nothing like that, though....everyone's looks the same.

lisadoris 01-28-11 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mao (Post 10612811)
The results format looks nothing like that, though....everyone's looks the same.

When you search for an individual title the formatting has the all caps, you just copy and paste and add nominee or winner.

On a different note, I watched Gone with the Wind for the first time last night and I just don't understand the appeal of this film.

Mondo Kane 01-28-11 06:30 PM

I was working out at my gym earlier and they had Ghost playing on CMT. If I had planned on staying there longer, I might've included it on my list. :D

Originally Posted by lisadoris (Post 10612840)
On a different note, I watched Gone with the Wind for the first time last night and I just don't understand the appeal of this film.

I actually don't mind the movie before the intermission. It's the 2nd half that kills it for me.

Darth Maher 01-28-11 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom (Post 10612783)

Is their site down or something?

What I typed:

Gone With The Wind
Results:

Your search yielded no results or no results that will display in the selected display screen.

Try modifying your search or select a different display screen.
Same results no matter what "Display Results by" option I picked. :confused:

Hmmm... :hscratch:

lisadoris 01-28-11 07:15 PM

make sure to hit clear before you start your search, sometimes the database gets surly

Darth Maher 01-28-11 07:24 PM

Is there a way to search for "Academy Awards" movies in DVD Profiler? Or print a report with just Academy Award nominees/winners? Or is this something I'd have to set up myself with tags or something?

Sorry for asking such a noob question... I've had DVD Profiler for years (a paying customer for only a couple), but I've never truly dug deep into all the things the program offers.

Darth Maher 01-28-11 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by lisadoris (Post 10612915)
make sure to hit clear before you start your search, sometimes the database gets surly

Worked like a charm. Thanks! :up:

lisadoris 01-28-11 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher (Post 10612934)
Is there a way to search for "Academy Awards" movies in DVD Profiler? Or print a report with just Academy Award nominees/winners? Or is this something I'd have to set up myself with tags or something?

Sorry for asking such a noob question... I've had DVD Profiler for years (a paying customer for only a couple), but I've never truly dug deep into all the things the program offers.

There's a plugin that will show the various awards a film has won (Cinematic Collection Viewer Plugin (Awards)) but I set up tags to search and filter. I don't know if there's an easier way.