DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Is there any reason to keep my old BTTF DVD trilogy set? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/583355-there-any-reason-keep-my-old-bttf-dvd-trilogy-set.html)

Whitebeard 12-12-10 10:34 AM

Is there any reason to keep my old BTTF DVD trilogy set?

Hello all,

I'm about to purchase the new BTTF 25th anniversary set, and have been trying to figure out if there's any reason I should keep my old trilogy box. I read Stuart Galbraith's review, where he mentions "virtually all of the original standard-def DVD special features have been ported over for this release", indicating some were not. Damned if I can't figure out which ones, though.

I also own the 2-disc BTTF special edition from 2009, which seems to overlap with the new set quite a bit, too. Anyone see a reason I should keep this or the old box?

Thanks.

tylergfoster 12-12-10 02:01 PM

Re: Is there any reason to keep my old BTTF DVD trilogy set?

The trilogy set, no. The 2-disc BTTF, maybe. Having seen the new documentary, it doesn't seem to be the same as the multi-part "Looking Back at the Future" doc that was on the 2-disc DVD. I haven't looked for it on the Blu-Ray, but if it isn't included, that would be something worth keeping that set for.

Whitebeard 12-12-10 02:42 PM

Thanks. I still can't figure out what features the older trilogy set had that weren't carried over to the new one, but if they're this hard to pinpoint, they must not be very significant.

I wonder if "Looking Back at the Future" was just retitled and integrated as one of the bonus features somewhere on the new set... or better yet restored to its original feature-length. Anyone know?

The Valeyard 12-12-10 07:23 PM

Is the ride film included in the new Trilogy set?

tylergfoster 12-12-10 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 10540943)
Is the ride film included in the new Trilogy set?

Not only is The Ride included on the new sets, but on Blu-Ray it's even equipped for D-BOX motion chairs so you can actually ride The Ride in your living room, which is pretty goddamn awesome, even if I don't and probably never will own a D-BOX motion chair.

The Valeyard 12-13-10 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 (Post 10541058)
Not only is The Ride included on the new sets, but on Blu-Ray it's even equipped for D-BOX motion chairs so you can actually ride The Ride in your living room, which is pretty goddamn awesome, even if I don't and probably never will own a D-BOX motion chair.

OMG. I totally geeked out when I read this! I want one now!

Thanks.

SterlingBen 12-13-10 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 (Post 10541058)

I didn't even know this kind of consumer tech existed. Definitely a contender for "things I would buy if I won the lottery".

& now that I am reading about it, this seems like a great feature to be included on the next Grindhouse BR release.

LosingMyMind 12-13-10 04:55 AM

SAW III Director's Cut also has D-Box code, and was actually the first I had ever heard about it. I wonder what THAT'S like.

Rubix 12-13-10 05:05 AM

it puts a bear trap on your face and rips your jaw off. :)

story 12-13-10 11:07 AM

:lol:

critterdvd 12-13-10 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 10541634)
OMG. I totally geeked out when I read this! I want one now!

Thanks.

Exactly what I was thinking. I've previously had no interest in D-Box, but with features like this coming out it would be something to consider when the prices equal out.

To answer the original post quesiton: I ended up giving my original trilogy box set to my parents as I spent a good 10 minutes comparing the original and new discs and couldn't find anything left out (even the text based extras). I never owned the 2-disc of the first film though.

Michael Corvin 12-13-10 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rubix (Post 10541683)
it puts a bear trap on your face and rips your jaw off. :)

rotfl