DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Digital copy codes shouldn't expire

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-12, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Digital copy codes shouldn't expire

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
You should be able to just stream them through your iCloud now and not have to continually transfer them to your iPad. At least, that's the way I understand it.
That's incorrect. You can't stream, but you can download from iCloud. Ultraviolet DCs can be downloaded or streamed.
Old 08-05-12, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Galt
You still shouldn't need the DC. You bought the damn movie, you should be able to transfer it to your ipad, cell phone, laptop without the need for a separate disc and code.
Amen. I have never used a digital copy for anything, but my first thought when they started appearing was a studios attempt to brainwash buyers into forgetting they can just rip the movie themselves.
Old 08-05-12, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by awil1026
That's incorrect. You can't stream, but you can download from iCloud. Ultraviolet DCs can be downloaded or streamed.
Duly noted.
Old 08-08-12, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Duly noted.
I feel it's necessary to correct what I said. I had forgotten about Apple TV. You can stream with that. Granted, we were talking about using digital copies on portable devices, but still, that may explain why you thought what you did, Min.
Old 08-08-12, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by awil1026
iOS 6, which is likely to be released the third week of September, adds streaming for music tracks in iTunes Match. I would imagine it will be the same with video, but who knows.
Old 08-08-12, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Weird. I contacted Warner Bros. customer service in early 2011 about the Digital Copy code for "The Matrix" having expired before I bought the box set in which it was included. They responded, essentially saying, "Sorry, you're out of luck. Once they expire they expire."

About 10 minutes ago, almost a year and a half after my original email and three years after the code expired, Warner Bros. emailed me again to say they've reactivated the code and that I can now redeem it.
Old 08-08-12, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Yeah, my Inception digital copy code was expired for like 9 months, and then they suddenly reopened the redemption site again and let people use their codes. WB used to be the most inflexible studio when it came to DC expiration date, but it seems like recently they have been relaxing the policy.
Old 08-12-12, 10:33 AM

So...not to create the illusion that I love "Ultraviolet", but I do like the idea that you redeem the code once and you can re-download the film on multiple devises without having to worry about expiration. (I assume. I'm still figuring it all out.)

But as far as the code's expiration goes, they should just turn it off. What dangers do they pose if we bought the film today or five years from now? They should remove the digital copy logo on the blu-ray and DVD if its a limited time offer.
Old 08-12-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chris_santucci
So...not to create the illusion that I love "Ultraviolet", but I do like the idea that you redeem the code once and you can re-download the film on multiple devises without having to worry about expiration. (I assume. I'm still figuring it all out.)
That's how Digital Copies work, if you redeem the code before it expires. I can even stream most of my Digital Copies to my Apple TV straight from Apple.
Old 08-13-12, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But as far as the code's expiration goes, they should just turn it off. What dangers do they pose if we bought the film today or five years from now?
Because the studios don't want to be committed to having to provide that infrastructure and support indefinitely. Technologies come and go, initiatives wax and wane, studio executives change, contracts expire. They put the expirations dates on there so that there's no obligation for them to provide anything for it past that date.

That's the problem with DRM-laden online digitally delivered content. You're at the mercy of the studios and companies to maintain that. You said love your Ultraviolet without expiration. Well, guess what? What happens if Warner Brothers decides to pull out of Ultraviolet in 2 years, and pulls all its content from there? There's your expiration. Same goes for Apple content. Let's say in 20 years, Apple somehow goes out of business, and all its FairPlay servers come down. You'll never be able to redownload that movie from iTunes or re-authorize it on any new devices. My Blu-ray disc though? It'll still work in a Blu-ray player in 20 years. Even if the studio AND the player manufacturer have gone out of business.
Old 08-25-12, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a question about Digital Copies and iTunes:

The DVD drive on my PC, where iTunes resides bit the dust. So I have no way to copy the Digital Copy files that come on the DVD.

If I were install iTunes on my laptop and log in to my iTunes account from that computer, would I essentially be able to download the movie(s) to the laptop, the move the Digital Copy files to them PC and have the movies work on their where I sync my iPad?

We plan to upgrade our PC situation, but probably not until the end of the year (Black Friday perhaps?) and I travel several times for work before then and I'd like to have stuff to watch.
Old 08-25-12, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I have a question about Digital Copies and iTunes:

The DVD drive on my PC, where iTunes resides bit the dust. So I have no way to copy the Digital Copy files that come on the DVD.

If I were install iTunes on my laptop and log in to my iTunes account from that computer, would I essentially be able to download the movie(s) to the laptop, the move the Digital Copy files to them PC and have the movies work on their where I sync my iPad?

We plan to upgrade our PC situation, but probably not until the end of the year (Black Friday perhaps?) and I travel several times for work before then and I'd like to have stuff to watch.

Digital Copies have been showing up in the iCloud for a while now. I can't guarantee you that every movie you've downloaded will be there, but go ahead and install iTunes and check out your Purchases within the iTunes Store. Should find them, ready to re-download at your convenience.
Old 08-27-12, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, it will work exactly as you describe.

Also, replacement DVD drives for your desktop PC are pretty cheap.
Old 08-27-12, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

But as far as the code's expiration goes, they should just turn it off. What dangers do they pose if we bought the film today or five years from now? They should remove the digital copy logo on the blu-ray and DVD if its a limited time offer.
Ditto on Todd B and Mr Salty's answers. As far as removing the logo, that's what the "Digital Copy" slipcover is intended to do--the studio can keep producing the disc without the slip after the date is past. Of course they can't control how much stock retailers have and whether they continue to display the slipcover version after DC expiration.

I recommend the thread in the HD forum for more DC info:

Check your Digital Copies to see if they've expired
Old 08-27-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Weird. I contacted Warner Bros. customer service in early 2011 about the Digital Copy code for "The Matrix" having expired before I bought the box set in which it was included. They responded, essentially saying, "Sorry, you're out of luck. Once they expire they expire."

About 10 minutes ago, almost a year and a half after my original email and three years after the code expired, Warner Bros. emailed me again to say they've reactivated the code and that I can now redeem it.
The Matrix set is getting a new release, which would explain that.
Old 08-27-12, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
The Matrix set is getting a new release, which would explain that.
Actually, Warner Bros. reactivated all of its expired codes, extending everything to 2017.
Old 08-29-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Todd B.
Yes, it will work exactly as you describe.
Yep! Worked like a charm!

Actually, Warner Bros. reactivated all of its expired codes, extending everything to 2017.
I am having an issue with my The Dark Knight DC. It keeps stating that such a code doesn't exist but I've never used the code yet. I sent WB an email via their website so I am hoping they can reactivate my code.
Old 08-29-12, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am having an issue with my The Dark Knight DC. It keeps stating that such a code doesn't exist but I've never used the code yet. I sent WB an email via their website so I am hoping they can reactivate my code.
After they emailed me to say the code for "The Matrix" was reactivated, it still wouldn't work. I contacted Warner Bros. through the Web form at their Digital Copy support site. It generated an instant email reply with a new code.
Old 08-29-12, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After they emailed me to say the code for "The Matrix" was reactivated, it still wouldn't work. I contacted Warner Bros. through the Web form at their Digital Copy support site. It generated an instant email reply with a new code.
I did that too with TDK... maybe it didn't go through because they have yet to reply. I should check my SPAM folder I guess.

Where did The Matrix DC come from? The "Ultimate Collection"?
Old 12-31-12, 08:21 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Anyone know if any expire tonight? I'd rather not spend time putting them in, but hate having them expire.
Old 12-31-12, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seriously dude. Chill out.
Old 01-07-13, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A question. Is it the concept of watching a "film" on a phone that no one seems to like, whereas a TV show is acceptable?
I wonder that because I watch films and TV shows on my iPhone, iPod and iPad and sometimes I watch TV shows on the way to work or on a mealbreak (sometimes I watch them when I work nights).
So all these people who don't like DCs don't also have the Netflix or Hulu app for their devices?
Old 01-07-13, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the problem with DC's is that you "own" them, but you don't really own them. Because of the DRM involved, the studios can revoke your access to view them in the future, or if a distribution company goes belly up, you won't be able to view them in the future or activate them on new hardware. So while it gives the illusion of ownership, you're really just licensing the right to view it for an indeterminate, but ultimately finite, amount of time.

Streaming services don't have the same problem, because it's understood that you're simply paying for the service to stream video in realtime, with no implication that ownership is being conveyed.
Old 01-23-13, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I don't know--I think there's more of a sense of ownership when you can download it to your computer rather than stream it. As far as TV shows vs. movies, it seems more reasonable to watch a shorter TV show than a whole movie on your device. I think a lot of complaints are centered around watching on a small screen and not getting top sound, etc., and again that seems more tolerable for something intended to be watched on a TV than a movie screen.

I don't think Netflix and Hulu-type stuff are the cure-all. Sometimes you can't watch it if you're on a plane, at the gym, etc.
Old 01-23-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Having a streaming player and an UltraViolet account has been really nice. My friends have joined my UV group and we've been able to build a nice little library between the group of us, and I can access it via my streaming player to watch in HD on my TV. iTunes Digital Copies can be accessed via an AppleTV. The idea that Digital Copies are just for mobile devices is simply inaccurate.

That said, I'm still very reluctant to outright purchase digital content for the rights issues already articulated. I'm happy to redeem DC codes from discs I've bought or to use promotional credit, etc. Paying $10-$20 out of pocket for a digital version of a movie, though? Yeah, that's not happening.

I did, however, use Best Buy's CinemaNow disc-to-digital service to unlock the DC of Doc Hollywood for $2.00 recently. The DVD was pan & scan, so for $2 I was happy to access it in its original aspect ratio.