DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Digital copy codes shouldn't expire

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 02:06 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Digital copy codes shouldn't expire

If studios have the nerve to use them to raise the price of a disc, or if they are considered some sort of special feature, then the fucking code shouldn't have a god-damned expiration date.

That is all, carry on.
Old 12-08-10, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Digital copy codes shouldn't expire

They shouldn't exist in the first place. Who really wants to watch a movie on a tiny little screen ?
Old 12-08-10, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. Since the DCs are quietly built into the price, there should be no reason why they would no longer be available to the consumer after a certain timeframe. It is just a gimmick to advertise limited time only on their product, and create an urgency among the consumer to buy it sooner.
Old 12-08-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Why are they even on a separate disc? Why not just have the code printed on a slip of paper, and then download it from the studio site or itunes or whatever.

The way everyone is so obsessed with being "green" -- even to the point of having these shitty "eco cases" with big holes in them to save plastic -- why include all of these fucking extra DVDs in the first place?
Old 12-08-10, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But that way the studios can sell you FOUR DISCS!!! It's like going all the way to 11...
Old 12-08-10, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Why are they even on a separate disc? Why not just have the code printed on a slip of paper, and then download it from the studio site or itunes or whatever.
Scott Pilgrim and Inception both have the "digital copies" available to download from a website rather than a disc (the DVDs included in the combo packs of the Blu-rays are the full retail versions).

I believe Disney's Step Up 3D will be the same practice.
Old 12-08-10, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
They shouldn't exist in the first place. Who really wants to watch a movie on a tiny little screen ?
You don't have to watch them on 'tiny little screen' and they are convenient for travelers.
Old 12-08-10, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

While I have never taken advantage of a single digital copy from any of my purchases.. I would agree they should not expire..as for the most part.. it was part of the purchase.. I do understand they "license" this copy for only a certain period of time, but then there should be accomodations for those that buy them after that time or like me have yet to use them... just sayin....
Old 12-08-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I fucking agree. Gosh darn iceholes!
Old 12-08-10, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's weird that we've never had a thread bitching about Digital Copies before.
Old 12-08-10, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I currently have no use for them but in the back of my mind when I get a Blu-Ray with a digital copy there's part of me that realizes if I ever want to use that digital copy in the future I'd be screwed because of the arbitrary expiration date.

So I guess I concur with the OP!
Old 12-08-10, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

DCs were originally offered as a compromise to appease consumers who wished to be allowed to rip their DVDs but were prevented by copy protection and MPAA regulations. The problem with the way things are right now is that only consumers who buy the first batch of a release and redeem in a certain time frame get the DC; everyone else is right back at square one without a legitimate avenue for having a portable version of the titles in their library.

I blogged about all this here if anyone's interested.

P.S.: It is exhausting trying to explain to people that they are not restricted to watching a DC on a 3" screen.
Old 12-08-10, 07:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

They should let you download them to your Blu-ray player's hard drive or Xbox 360 hard drive.
Old 12-08-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lost all my digital copies in a hard drive crash a few months ago. Got them all back except one that had expired and another where I couldn't read the disk (even tried on multiple computers). The fact that I don't recall either title gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that I just don't care.

I don't use them. I've put them on my phone to check it out. But have never actually watched a movie on that screen. Still, someday I may want them and now I don't have to worry about them expiring.

And unlike some, I'm glad they're there as an option. You don't like them? Ignore them.
Old 12-09-10, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are downloads in other forms that don't expire.

And they wonder why we turn to "alternate" means.
Old 12-09-10, 12:42 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate digital copies and they always remind me of this:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wKiIroiCvZ0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wKiIroiCvZ0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 12-09-10, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Texan26
They should let you download them to your Blu-ray player's hard drive or Xbox 360 hard drive.
Most Blu-ray players don't have hard drives.
Old 12-09-10, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Often times, the expiration date isn't true. We installed some digital copies recently that were supposed to have expired quite a while ago, and out of about 5 that were expired, at least 3 of them still worked.
Old 12-09-10, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Seantn
Often times, the expiration date isn't true. We installed some digital copies recently that were supposed to have expired quite a while ago, and out of about 5 that were expired, at least 3 of them still worked.
I have never used my digital copies so I always thought the expiration date was for how long you have for downloading them. So the digital copies themselves expire? That sucks. Why do they charge an extra $5 to $10 then? What a rip.
Old 12-09-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
You don't have to watch them on 'tiny little screen' and they are convenient for travelers.
You still shouldn't need the DC. You bought the damn movie, you should be able to transfer it to your ipad, cell phone, laptop without the need for a separate disc and code.
Old 12-09-10, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Seantn
Originally Posted by Pizza
I have never used my digital copies so I always thought the expiration date was for how long you have for downloading them. So the digital copies themselves expire? That sucks. Why do they charge an extra $5 to $10 then? What a rip.
Unless Seantn has experienced something I've never heard of, he meant that the codes had expired, but he was still able to redeem three of the five. The files DO NOT EXPIRE.

Originally Posted by John Galt
You still shouldn't need the DC. You bought the damn movie, you should be able to transfer it to your ipad, cell phone, laptop without the need for a separate disc and code.
Agreed. But this is the bone they've tossed those of us who have a desire to have a portable, digital version of our libraries.

Also, to whomever suggested that DCs should be able to be downloaded to our Blu-ray players: For what possible purpose? If I was going to have to take my Blu-ray player with me to watch DCs elsewhere, wouldn't I just take my Blu-rays with me, too? And the whole purpose of DCs is to not have to carry cumbersome equipment to watch movies on-the-go. A Blu-ray player requires access to a TV. The only way this makes sense is if you looked at Flavor Flav's clock and thought, "You know, maybe portable should be clunky."
Old 12-09-10, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I never cared about the Digital Copies until I bought an iPad. Many of them still worked long after the expiration date on the cover. I put them all on my computer and then transfer them to my iPad as needed. It came in very handy on a trip to Germany a couple of months back. I agree that they shouldn't expire. Just got a Blu-ray with a Digital Copy disc from Amazon last week and it was expired and didn't work.
Old 12-09-10, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bse
I hate digital copies and they always remind me of this:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wKiIroiCvZ0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wKiIroiCvZ0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Wow, I had never seen that before. Priceless!
Old 08-05-12, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
I never cared about the Digital Copies until I bought an iPad. Many of them still worked long after the expiration date on the cover. I put them all on my computer and then transfer them to my iPad as needed. It came in very handy on a trip to Germany a couple of months back. I agree that they shouldn't expire.
This is me too. I never had a need for DC but now that I have an Ipad and travel for work, the DC actually comes in handy. And, yes, while there are alternate methods, It is rather time consuming.
Old 08-05-12, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You should be able to just stream them through your iCloud now and not have to continually transfer them to your iPad. At least, that's the way I understand it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.