Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2011 "October Horror Movie Challenge"

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2011 "October Horror Movie Challenge"

Old 08-31-11, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2011 "October Horror Movie Challenge"

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
Then it morphed into the "let's have 4 cameras rolling at the same time, not do any cuts and then split the screen 4 ways and show them all at the same time. Then you get one camera doing something like following someone as they ride a taxi through town for 15 minutes, just sitting there.

I remember one of them had a vote on the winner aka the least boring of the 4, and that was supposed to be the final product but you also had the option to watch all 4 simultaneously.
Are you by chance talking about Timecode? I went with a friend to see that, intrigued by the concept and I was under the impression there'd be lesbian sex in the movie. I still feel cheated, a decade later.
Old 08-31-11, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Re: Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2011 "October Horror Movie Challenge"

Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
Are you by chance talking about Timecode? I went with a friend to see that, intrigued by the concept and I was under the impression there'd be lesbian sex in the movie. I still feel cheated, a decade later.
Timecode: Sit in a cab with Salma Hayek and watch her do nothing.

And now I remember there was no script and it was all improv. Just keeps twisting the knife in the wound. There wasn't a whole lot of films using that gimmick but I remember my wife rented one that I got out of watching.

The only one I could really tolerate was the one Troma distributed, Real Time: Siege at the Lucas Street Market but I want to say there was editing in that one even though they say there isn't.
Old 08-31-11, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It certainly sounds a lot like Timecode, but I don't think there was any vote on your favorite storyline thing. I thought it was Figgis trying to show how edgy and artistic he was after Leaving Las Vegas. I could be wrong, though.
Old 08-31-11, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wasted a lot of time and neutrons on awful DTV horror flicks last year.I'm sticking to the classics this year--Universal horror, Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, and so on. If I run out of those, then I might dip my toes in some of the crap on Netflix.
Old 08-31-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
It certainly sounds a lot like Timecode, but I don't think there was any vote on your favorite storyline thing. I thought it was Figgis trying to show how edgy and artistic he was after Leaving Las Vegas. I could be wrong, though.
I know there was no voting of any kind in the screening I attended, but I kind of recall hearing there would be when the movie was advertised. Though, of course, I may have been confused (or am confused about it now).
Old 08-31-11, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know there was no voting of any kind in the screening I attended, but I kind of recall hearing there would be when the movie was advertised. Though, of course, I may have been confused (or am confused about it now).
I'm not sure how the voting went but the DVD had a screen of it and you got to pick either the original or the "winning" version.
Old 08-31-11, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure how the voting went but the DVD had a screen of it and you got to pick either the original or the "winning" version.
Unless the "winning" version features the lesbian sex I thought I was going to get, I'm not interested in sitting through that a second time.
Old 09-01-11, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You are misunderstanding the versions of the film. One of them is the final version of the film that was released into theaters. The other version that is included was the first take that they did. I guess it would show how much the film changes from the first time they went through it to the final version released in theaters, which was the 15th take.

The DVDTalk review explains it nicely.

The idea of a viewer vote surprised me quite a bit because Figgis does not seem like a very democratic director. Well, at least not in this way. He's more the type to want to "challenge" his audiences.
Old 09-01-11, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I swore there was a card saying there was a vote for the best one. I don't have it anymore, so I guess I win.
Old 09-01-11, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am looking forward to this year's challenge. Already got a pile lined up. First time viewing of all Children of the Corn movies, also going after The Prophecy sequels.
Old 09-28-11, 12:16 PM
Cool New Member

100 films in 31 days... okay unless you are severly drunk I do not see how it can be done. I watch a lot of genre films and starting in January started noting the new ones (only new ones to me) that I have seen up to well, yesterday. I just passed 105. Again I did not count re-watched films which would countin this contest. Nonetheless I cannot imagine trying to cram in all those films into 31 days, And I am disabled and do not work!! So time isn't an issue for me! It;s mental stability!! lol
Old 09-28-11, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why are there two discussion threads for the October Horror Movie Challenge?

There's this one, that I'm in right now, and a competing one that's getting way more activity:

100 Movies, 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge

What's the difference?
Old 09-28-11, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Why are there two discussion threads for the October Horror Movie Challenge?

There's this one, that I'm in right now, and a competing one that's getting way more activity:

100 Movies, 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge

What's the difference?
This is an old thread that oldnewbie bumped. This one was created in 2010 after last year's challenge for, as the thread title suggests, comments and suggestions for this year's challenge.

The link in your post is the current thread for this year's challenge, the one that should be used.
Old 09-28-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In fact, maybe we should get a mod to close this thread so we won't have anyone else bump it.
Old 09-28-11, 02:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by oldnewbie View Post
100 films in 31 days... okay unless you are severly drunk I do not see how it can be done. I watch a lot of genre films and starting in January started noting the new ones (only new ones to me) that I have seen up to well, yesterday. I just passed 105. Again I did not count re-watched films which would countin this contest. Nonetheless I cannot imagine trying to cram in all those films into 31 days, And I am disabled and do not work!! So time isn't an issue for me! It;s mental stability!! lol
100 in a month is challenging, hence the name.

But we have had people surpass 300 before, and regularly have a dozen or more people hit 100+.

There are 24 hours in a day. One can live on 5 hours of sleep perhaps, the other 19 can be used to watch 12 movies a day if one really wanted to, and either didn't work or had a job that allowed movie viewing.
Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
In fact, maybe we should get a mod to close this thread so we won't have anyone else bump it.
I agree.
Old 09-28-11, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I sent a msg to the mods.