Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2011 "October Horror Movie Challenge"

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2011 "October Horror Movie Challenge"

Old 08-19-11, 04:34 PM

Re: Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2011 "October Horror Movie Challenge"

And my home town Chicago's very own horror host Svengoolie is now appearing across the country on the ME TV network. Its basically an oldies channel and seems to appear as one of the sub channels on off-air digital TV. For instance in the LA area its on channel 56.3. I have no idea if any of these are ever broadcast on cable. You can check out the ME TV website for a list of cities and channels.
Old 08-19-11, 07:37 PM

Re: Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2011 "October Horror Movie Challenge"

I really miss the days of watching horror (and other genres) movies hosted by Dr. Madblood.
Old 08-20-11, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When it comes to horror hosts, Zacherly is the gold standard.
Old 08-20-11, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't recall any horror hosts here in Boston, but I fondly remember Creature Double Feature on channel 56:

Old 08-20-11, 09:36 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
I don't recall any horror hosts here in Boston, but I fondly remember Creature Double Feature on channel 56:
Your show was similar to most of the creature feature horror hosted shows around the country, but I guess your channel didn't really have a host, just an announcer.
Old 08-20-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

We have a local one that airs on public access but it's one of the lame hosts that doesn't really get it. Just because you're a girl trying to dress similar to Elvira, even though you are flat as a board, and other than a some dollar store decorations, the set is plain, that doesn't make you worth watching.

She doesn't even make the effort to do spit out some facts when she does her segments. She just sits there, talks super slow and with a deep voice(an attempt at being seductive?), mumbles something about this being her show and then they go back to whatever public access movie you've seen a million times already. Why doesn't she even talk about the movie? That's because as you watch it, there's a sidebar that shows facts that everyone already knows about if they've read any review of the film. To make it even worse, the facts hardly change. Each one stays up for what seems like 5 minutes.

And that's what I learned over the weekend when I decided to see what public access shows on Friday and Saturday nights. The most surprising thing of my experience was that the Heavy Metal video show is still on and I remember that from 10 years ago. I guess he's doing something right or at least just dedicated, since it's public access.
Old 08-20-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How about the Cryptkeeper?
Old 08-21-11, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any thought to allowing documentaries of horror-related subjects? These would not be documentaries about the movies, necessarily, but rather subject material often used in horror stories. For instance, there's a documentary in my Netflix streaming queue about America's first serial killer. (I think it's actually called that: America's First Serial Killer.) Or maybe the History Channel special about the history of Halloween, that kind of thing.
Old 08-21-11, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
Any thought to allowing documentaries of horror-related subjects? These would not be documentaries about the movies, necessarily, but rather subject material often used in horror stories. For instance, there's a documentary in my Netflix streaming queue about America's first serial killer. (I think it's actually called that: America's First Serial Killer.) Or maybe the History Channel special about the history of Halloween, that kind of thing.
I always thought those were allowed. That particular one sounds interesting. I think I have slightly creepy fascination with serial killers.
Old 08-21-11, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I always thought those were allowed. That particular one sounds interesting. I think I have slightly creepy fascination with serial killers.
I dunno; I only started participating in this challenge in 2009. I looked at it in 2008 but was pretty intimidated. I don't recall anyone talking about watching any such documentaries in the last two years of discussion threads, but that doesn't mean they weren't allowed.

Also, I think a lot of people have a slightly creepy fascination with serial killers in particular and real acts of crime in general. Seriously, now that she's retired my grandmother spends more time watching TruTV than anything else. She follows investigations and trials like sports fans follow teams. It gets weird when she freaks out over something and goes off on a rant about shoddy forensics evidence and shaky alibis. I'm convinced we make a big mistake as a society by not appointing elderly women to run our police forces.
Old 08-21-11, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I personally only think documentaries on horror movie-related subjects should be allowed, but of course it's up to Chad. Why don't you just save the real-life serial killer stuff for the Historical Challenge?
Old 08-21-11, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
Also, I think a lot of people have a slightly creepy fascination with serial killers in particular and real acts of crime in general. Seriously, now that she's retired my grandmother spends more time watching TruTV than anything else. She follows investigations and trials like sports fans follow teams. It gets weird when she freaks out over something and goes off on a rant about shoddy forensics evidence and shaky alibis. I'm convinced we make a big mistake as a society by not appointing elderly women to run our police forces.
No question. True crime has been a popular book genre for a long time. And OJ made a lot of people "expert" analysts. Maybe your grandma should read Miss Marple.
Old 08-21-11, 11:25 AM

Remember the little-used Facebook group we had for this Chad? Did that get archived when Facebook changed the group functionality? I wonder if we can get any use out of the new groups feature?
Old 08-21-11, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like allowing real life horror docs since it's still horror.
Old 08-21-11, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

Sure. Many of the films we watch are based on the real life incidents and they're often the scariest. Why not?

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Remember the little-used Facebook group we had for this Chad? Did that get archived when Facebook changed the group functionality? I wonder if we can get any use out of the new groups feature?
Been meaning to bring that up. From what I understand its not been archived yet, but is going to be due to our 'limited activity'. And because of that we eventually will be upgraded to the new groups format (on their schedule) albeit with limited functionality. And here's the kicker - once the new format is in place only people on your friends list can be added to the group, which makes starting a new one pointless. How stupid is that?

And then there's this:

"If you choose not to upgrade your group or do not see an option to do so (don't have that option), the group will eventually be archived. You can continue using your group after it is archived. However, since members of old groups will not migrate to archived groups, you will need to add new members."

^Again, keeping in mind that you can only add people who are currently on your friends lists.

That leaves three options: a) ride it out and hope the archiving doesn't take place during this challenge and deal with it later b) start a fan page instead or c) say to hell with Facebook and only use the current group until it dies out and then it's goodbye forever (Google+, anyone?). Of course having a fan page can be intrusive since all activity is automatically posted to a member's wall. And to my knowledge you can't control that ...or can you?

And yes, I did start a fan page. If there's any interest let me know and I'll post the link. Or don't.

I hate Facebook.
Old 08-21-11, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Been meaning to bring that up. From what I understand its not been archived yet, but is going to be due to our 'limited activity'. And because of that we eventually will be upgraded to the new groups format (on their schedule) albeit with limited functionality. And here's the kicker - once the new format is in place only people on your friends list can be added to the group, which makes starting a new one pointless. How stupid is that?

And then there's this:

"If you choose not to upgrade your group or do not see an option to do so (don't have that option), the group will eventually be archived. You can continue using your group after it is archived. However, since members of old groups will not migrate to archived groups, you will need to add new members."

^Again, keeping in mind that you can only add people who are currently on your friends lists.

That leaves three options: a) ride it out and hope the archiving doesn't take place during this challenge and deal with it later b) start a fan page instead or c) say to hell with Facebook and only use the current group until it dies out and then it's goodbye forever (Google+, anyone?). Of course having a fan page can be intrusive since all activity is automatically posted to a member's wall. And to my knowledge you can't control that ...or can you?

And yes, I did start a fan page. If there's any interest let me know and I'll post the link. Or don't.

I hate Facebook.
Yes, you can easily control which friend and pages updates come to your newsfeed. Just hit the "x" to the right of any item in your newsfeed, and you can choose to permanently hide the friend, page, or app. I would have abandoned Facebook long ago if I didn't learn this tip.

Link us up! I searched for it but couldn't find it.
Old 08-21-11, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

Well, in that case:

Old 08-21-11, 07:48 PM

^ Ah, you had hyphens in it, that's why I couldn't find it.

Still unsure of how useful a page or group will be, but any excuse to connect can't hurt I guess.
Old 08-21-11, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just found the main DVD Talk FB page and the wall info ended with "The site is currently down."
Old 08-22-11, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Google+, anyone?
If you ever go that route, I'm in. I can provide invites as well.
Old 08-22-11, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I joined the FB group earlier (I think the only wall comment is mine). Lemme know if we're doing Google+; I'm dying for some actual content there since my friends are all lame and only two of them have taken me up on my invitations. I'll be happy to invite others; you don't even have to add me to any circles.
Old 08-22-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Going to try a first time view only challenge this time around.
Old 08-22-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
Going to try a first time view only challenge this time around.
I've done a pretty good job trying to maintain at least a 50% first time rate for challenges. When I do watch something I've already seen, I try to make it a viewing with a commentary track I haven't heard so it's at least a different viewing experience. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to try to explore this year. I'm considering gorging on the old Universal Monsters movies, at least the Dracula/Frankenstein/Wolf Man series that all joined together. I've seen all of them before, but I enjoy them quite a lot and it's been a while since I saw most of them last. I'm thinking about watching them in chronological release order, which I've never done. As for first time viewings, I just hope the studios don't screw me like they did last year and yank most of what I wanted to stream from Netflix during October.
Old 08-22-11, 12:57 PM

To be honest, I've thought about doing this every once in a while and the whole thing looks overwhelming and I can't really tell what I'm supposed to do other than watch horror movies and post about them.

Can someone, please, in a nutshell, describe exactly how this thing works? Thanks.
Old 08-22-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dogmatica View Post
To be honest, I've thought about doing this every once in a while and the whole thing looks overwhelming and I can't really tell what I'm supposed to do other than watch horror movies and post about them.

Can someone, please, in a nutshell, describe exactly how this thing works? Thanks.
In a nutshell, you've already got the concept. The point of these challenges is to 1) gorge on content of a given theme and 2) promote socialization on the forum through the discussion of that content. Most of us use it as an excuse to finally make ourselves whittle away our Unwatched Piles and get around to our lengthy To See lists.

There's usually a checklist, but that's optional; you don't have to even bother with it, unless you want to. It's best to think of the checklist as a guide to a scavenger hunt, leading you to explore different eras, sub-genres and creative talents within the challenge theme.

And that's pretty much it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.