Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2011 "October Horror Movie Challenge"

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2011 "October Horror Movie Challenge"

Old 11-22-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2011 "October Horror Movie Challenge"

Originally Posted by pagefrance View Post
I am very much FOR the inclusion of TV episodes in the challenge and I also think one of the categories should be "Watch a made for TV horror movie" as there are some really good ones.
There was already a category for "based on a novel" but another good one could be "was made into a novelization", this means movies upon which books were made.
I like this idea. It would definitely make me check out Dark Night Of The Scarecrow next year since it has received so much praise since its DVD release a couple months back.

Wasn't Stephen King's IT made for TV?
Old 11-24-10, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Re: Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2011 "October Horror Movie Challenge"

Originally Posted by SethDLH View Post
I like this idea. It would definitely make me check out Dark Night Of The Scarecrow next year since it has received so much praise since its DVD release a couple months back.

Wasn't Stephen King's IT made for TV?
Yes.
Old 11-24-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
Yes.
Another YES for the addition of "Watch a made-for-TV movie.
Old 11-24-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gobear View Post
Another YES for the addition of "Watch a made-for-TV movie.
I proclaim another Yes for this.
Old 06-15-11, 03:20 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Bump because I'm in a horror mood, and figured I might as well share this table from the Challenge Compendium here as well.

It might help in planning or thinking about the next Horror Challenge to have all the links to the old ones handy. Table is a rough draft, feel free to criticize.

DVDTalk Horror Challenge History

Year
Discussion Threads
List Threads
Results Thread
Winner
Total
2005discussionlistsresultssteelpotato223
2006discussionlistsresultsEdTheRipper170
2007planning, discussion 1, 2, 3listsresultsViewAskewbian333
2008planning, discussion 1, 2, subset filmslistsresultsposter mayhem252
2009planning, discussion 1, 2, 3listsresultsEdTheRipper198
2010planning, discussion 1, 2, 3, TVlistsresultsTrevor282
2011planning, discussion 1, 2listsresultsinsert DVDTalkerinsert #
2012insert thread linksinsert thread linksinsert thread linkinsert DVDTalkerinsert #

Last edited by Trevor; 07-08-11 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-15-11, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Once again we benefit from Trevor's OCD
Old 06-15-11, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Once again we benefit from Trevor's OCD
I'm hoping Chad's OCD will want to add to it, with columns for number of participants, page views, and total films watched.
Old 06-15-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

Certainly. My OCD accept's it on behalf of your OCD.

Well done, sir!
Old 07-04-11, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awesome. I've been away from the boards for a (long) bit, nice to come back and be greeted with a well organized OHMC reference.

I've been in a horror mood as well, lately. Hmmmm...
Old 07-05-11, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thanks again for all the hard work by everyone involved...looking forward to another fun october.
Old 07-05-11, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Chad, any thoughts on the above-mentioned 'Watch a Made-for-TV movie' checklist item? I think it would be a cool idea - there were so many great (relatively speaking) ones in the 1970's.
Old 07-28-11, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

is it bad that i'm already planning what i'm going to watch this year?

NOES complete series
F13TH complete series
HALLOWEEN complete series
anything thats streamable on netflix and not available on dvd (BLADES, OPEN HOUSE, NEW YEAR'S EVIL, etc.)
any unwatched horror dvds and blu-rays that i have

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 07-28-11 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-28-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Chad, any thoughts on the above-mentioned 'Watch a Made-for-TV movie' checklist item? I think it would be a cool idea - there were so many great (relatively speaking) ones in the 1970's.
I second this. Plus there's all the new ones coming out on the Syfy channel.

Is the checklist going to stay the same for the most part? I'd like to try and get an early start on a list to fill it up, with a goal of no duplicates.
Old 07-28-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
If there is cost involved in mailing prizes to participants maybe it would be worth setting up a Paypal donation account for that purpose (maybe even deactivating it once sufficient funds are secured).

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post

Amen! Chad shouldn't be on the hook for the shipping on the prizes each year. Let's do this.
This is completely up to Chad but if he would like Hamiltons to sponsor the contest, we would be happy to do so, and we eat the shipping costs as I normally ship prizes direct from here rather than ship them to the challenge runner.

I cannot promise as I did in the past that the prizes will go out same day I get the PM as business/life is crazy right now but we are happy to contribute!

And we have a pretty good horror selection...seems the only people actively pressing interesting movies anymore are cult horror labels.
Old 08-02-11, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm really looking forward to participating in my sixth(!!) October challenge! It's a great incentive to spin those discs. I read over this thread and wanted to chime in with a few thoughts:

I'm in favor of including TV shows again this year; the rules in play last year for TV seemed very fair.

I agree with the majority opinion regarding NC-17 / X ratings.

In terms of the Elvira discussion on the first page, I think it might be a nice gesture to put a spotlight on her *new* series of Elvira's Movie Macabre. They've been airing since last fall, and they're now being released on DVD via E-One Entertainment as double features. I got the sense from an article I read that she would like to continue doing new episodes if this first season does well enough. The attention on her new program for this year's challenge, on the grander scale of things, probably won't make a difference one way or the other - but since they're new, it'd be cool if this was the category for 2011.

And perhaps another possible category could be the Bloody Disgusting Selects line, since they're available on disc and streaming?

Anyway, just a few thoughts.
Old 08-03-11, 10:14 AM

I realize this is only early August but it would be helpful to announce the daily films as soon as possible, it would help anyone looking to buy them to have a little extra time to find them. I also think the previously mentioned ideas of having some coordination with the daily subset and trying to get as many of the daily films as possible to be available via some sort of streaming are very good ideas. Of course, I wouldn't do this at the expense of having the best group of films possible on the list.
Old 08-03-11, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not a horror movie fan and have not participated in any previous horror challenges, but I may participate this time because I have a few unwatched horror films on VHS (a couple of Nightmares on Elm Street, plus EVIL DEAD), plus a lot of anime that might qualify because of ghost story themes, vampires, demons and the like. A lot of the anime I have in this category comes from TV series ("Hellsing," "Witch Hunter Robin") or OAV (made-for-video), like "Vampire Princess Miyu" (also a TV series), "Devilman," "Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma," and "Spirit Warrior." So if the challenge is restricted to movies, I won't be willing to participate.

Much of the anime I'm considering frames horror themes in the conventions of thrillers. There's always a hero or heroine who is out to conquer/capture/subdue/vanquish a series of monsters/demons/vampires/ghosts/ogres, etc. So it's more like adventure than horror. And sometimes more like a detective story. "Hellsing," for instance, posits its vampire hunters as some kind of government agents. Does this characteristic in any way disqualify these shows as horror? Is there any definition of horror used for this challenge that makes such distinctions clear? Or should I not even worry about it?

Thanks.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 08-03-11 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-03-11, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm glad I'm not the only one whose thoughts frequently drift to what I'll be doing in October. After a period away from the forums, I've been getting active once again, which has naturally made me pine a bit for the October challenge. I regret that I didn't get involved with the Horror Club when it started up again like I did when it first started.
Old 08-03-11, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I'm not a horror movie fan and have not participated in any previous horror challenges, but I may participate this time because I have a few unwatched horror films on VHS (a couple of Nightmares on Elm Street, plus EVIL DEAD), plus a lot of anime that might qualify because of ghost story themes, vampires, demons and the like. A lot of the anime I have in this category comes from TV series ("Hellsing," "Witch Hunter Robin") or OAV (made-for-video), like "Vampire Princess Miyu" (also a TV series), "Devilman," "Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma," and "Spirit Warrior." So if the challenge is restricted to movies, I won't be willing to participate.

Much of the anime I'm considering frames horror themes in the conventions of thrillers. There's always a hero or heroine who is out to conquer/capture/subdue/vanquish a series of monsters/demons/vampires/ghosts/ogres, etc. So it's more like adventure than horror. And sometimes more like a detective story. "Hellsing," for instance, posits its vampire hunters as some kind of government agents. Does this characteristic in any way disqualify these shows as horror? Is there any definition of horror used for this challenge that makes such distinctions clear? Or should I not even worry about it?

Thanks.
I think any of these titles should straight up qualify:

Ghost Hunt
When They Cry
Lunar Legend Tsukihime
Shiki
Petshop of Horrors

Otherwise, I imagine that as long as imdb lists horror in a title's genres list, it qualifies (Hellsing would qualify, for example).
Old 08-03-11, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post

Thanks.
We've always been fairly lenient about what is allowed, last year probably being the most lenient. Anyway, if you think one of your titles qualifies, I would just count it. I would be shocked if anyone challenges an entry unless it is obvious that it shouldn't be counted.
Old 08-04-11, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
I think it's a fantastic idea and added it a few month's back.

Sorry about the delayed response, BTW. Forgot to subscribe to this thread.

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
is it bad that i'm already planning what i'm going to watch this year?
Not at all. Took me a few years, but I found planning ahead is essential to having a stress-free challenge.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
Is the checklist going to stay the same for the most part? I'd like to try and get an early start on a list to fill it up, with a goal of no duplicates.
Well, here's the revisions made so far:

- combined 'X' and 'NC-17' into one entry
- dropped the pre-MPAA and post-MPAA from 'Unrated'
- added 'Made-for-TV movie'
- removed 'watch an animated film'
- added an optional tag to 1890, 1900 and 1910
- Elvira is no longer its own entry and has been added alongside 'MST3K/rifftrax/CT'
- added Blue Underground (plan is to change studio/distributor every year)
- added Cannibalism
- removed Criterion

I hope I'm not entering blasphemy territory here, but having a CC entry seems a little redundant right after the Criterion challenge. Not to mention the titles are somewhat limited. Adding a cult label like Blue Underground should fill that gap.

Of course the actors list changes every year. I'm really leaning towards the idea of having a larger list and adding directors and even a makeup artist or two.

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels View Post
This is completely up to Chad but if he would like Hamiltons to sponsor the contest, we would be happy to do so, and we eat the shipping costs as I normally ship prizes direct from here rather than ship them to the challenge runner.
Do you even have to ask? Of course! It's always welcome and very much appreciated.

Originally Posted by orlmac View Post
I realize this is only early August but it would be helpful to announce the daily films as soon as possible, it would help anyone looking to buy them to have a little extra time to find them. I also think the previously mentioned ideas of having some coordination with the daily subset and trying to get as many of the daily films as possible to be available via some sort of streaming are very good ideas. Of course, I wouldn't do this at the expense of having the best group of films possible on the list.
Definitely. Don't intend on putting it off until the last-minute like last year. I've already started work on Theme Nights in the hopes of having it ready by the time the main thread is posted. The plan is to *hopefully* sync it up 100% with the Subset list.

And unless there's any major objections, I'd like to go the route of the horror film club and make all the selections Netflix streaming titles. The horror selection is fairly abundant and I don't think we'd be limiting ourselves that much. The only problem I could possibly foresee with that is with the upcoming price hike and those potentially jumping ship.

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one whose thoughts frequently drift to what I'll be doing in October. After a period away from the forums, I've been getting active once again, which has naturally made me pine a bit for the October challenge. I regret that I didn't get involved with the Horror Club when it started up again like I did when it first started.
Its demise was inevitable. With a new challenge practically every month it just wasn't feasible for most to participate in both. But it's being given a fitting memorial in the horror challenge thread.

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
We've always been fairly lenient about what is allowed, last year probably being the most lenient. Anyway, if you think one of your titles qualifies, I would just count it. I would be shocked if anyone challenges an entry unless it is obvious that it shouldn't be counted.
Exactly. As it states in the main thread, the main deciding factor is you and you alone.
Old 08-05-11, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chad View Post

Do you even have to ask? Of course! It's always welcome and very much appreciated.
Just hit me up with a PM when you are ready. We should have lots of neat stuff for this one.
Old 08-05-11, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I kinda liked the pre/post mpaa ones, and they are so easy to hit...
Old 08-05-11, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
I kinda liked the pre/post mpaa ones, and they are so easy to hit...
You can always leave those and any/all of the older removed items on your checklist.
Old 08-05-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels View Post
Just hit me up with a PM when you are ready. We should have lots of neat stuff for this one.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.