DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Tron: where in the world can I find it? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/582228-tron-where-world-can-i-find.html)

bogrod 12-07-10 09:33 PM

Re: Tron: where in the world can I find it?

Originally Posted by mhanlen1 (Post 10532728)
Mine sold yesterday evening for $68. I don't think I've ever sold a DVD for that much. I'm always one to hang onto my DVD's, but if I can make that much of a profit of a disc that's forthcoming, I'll do it. I just hope they don't royally screw up the Blu-ray with DNR or something. Even if they do, I'll probably be able to buy the DVD back at a fraction of what I just sold it for.

If you think about it, $56 for a beat-up dvd set is kind of ridiculous, particularly since I paid, what $15 or so for this new? While this movie was a big part of my youth, I think the last time I watched the disk was at least four years ago or longer. Obviously, it's worth it to others, but I can't see the blu-ray release of this happening much past the new year.

story 12-07-10 10:56 PM

There's a guy selling one on eBay that ends an hour after mine and for quite a bit cheaper so I don't think anyone's going to bite.

sracer 12-08-10 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by bogrod (Post 10532749)
If you think about it, $56 for a beat-up dvd set is kind of ridiculous, particularly since I paid, what $15 or so for this new? While this movie was a big part of my youth, I think the last time I watched the disk was at least four years ago or longer. Obviously, it's worth it to others, but I can't see the blu-ray release of this happening much past the new year.

You might think that it is ridiculous now, but wait... if the re-release has a shiny new print with the special effects "enhanced" with CGI... you might think differently. :)

Numes 12-08-10 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by porieux (Post 10508047)
If Tron is "dated" then I wish more films were "dated" because it's still great.

:up:

I watched this again a month or so ago from HDNet Movies, and I can say that I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it since! "Dated" has such a negative connotation, but I think the movie is still very enjoyable and a lot of fun.

animatedude 12-08-10 03:25 PM

i can't count how many times i saw TRON collector's edition in cool alpha case over the years but never picked it up....now it's gone. :(

packaok 12-08-10 06:41 PM

For grins, I posted my 2-DVD copy of TRON in my Amazon store for $114.99. No one would pay that, right?

IT JUST SOLD FOR THAT PRICE!!! USED (but in like-new condition)!!!

I didn't want to part with it, but they made me an offer I could not refuse :)

whotony 12-08-10 07:34 PM

good for you. i put mine on amazon for $210.00, I really don't want to sell it but if someone is nutty enugh to pay that much.....

man*machine 12-08-10 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 10534348)
good for you. i put mine on amazon for $210.00, I really don't want to sell it but if someone is nutty enugh to pay that much.....

My like new one went for $120 last week. I didn't really want to sell it either, but there it went for that price. You know, I probably should have held onto it longer as these really may end up going for close to $210 before all is said and done. The sequel hasn't even opened yet!!! Surely even more people will be jumping on it at that point. After you make your $200, you can rebuy it in 5 months when the BR of it gets released and people are unloading their old 2-disc for $10 again.

whotony 12-08-10 08:07 PM

I watched it today I thought the movie held up pretty well.
Special fx weren't great but I think it works within the tone of the movie.

I havent seen a story line on the new movie so I 'm wondering how they do a sequel that has Flynn still inside the computer.

Alan Smithee 12-09-10 04:53 AM

Well, I won't be buying the Blu-Ray given the 'tweaks' that are being made, no matter how minor they may be.

whotony 12-09-10 05:27 AM

What tweaks?

Numes 12-09-10 08:41 AM

^Yeah, what tweaks?

TomOpus 12-09-10 09:24 AM

If my copy wasn't signed by Cindy Morgan (hubba hubba) then I might've considered selling. I've yet to sell any of my videos even for good profits. I guess I'm just sentimental over my stuff :)

milo bloom 12-09-10 10:05 AM

Somebody posted a link upthread where the director talks about tweaking the movie for Bluray.

Giles 12-09-10 10:42 AM

I have a DVD copy of the film, but there's no way I'd sell it with the way Disney's been not porting over everything to the bluray editions

tylergfoster 12-09-10 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 10535151)
Somebody posted a link upthread where the director talks about tweaking the movie for Bluray.

FYI, if you watch the doc on Disc 2 about the making of the movie, the optical printing process would often cause the strength of the "light" animation to be inconsistent and sometimes even wildly unusual. During the movie, when panels will randomly light up and then dim, or flicker on for a split second, these are examples of what Lisberger is referring to. The solution for these wild glitches was just to add sound effects, but I imagine there are some of them that just bugged him, and he adjusted them digitally. This is just pure guesswork, but it's what makes the most sense to me. In any case, I doubt the version that appears on Blu-Ray will be "Special Edition"ed, which seems to be the concern.

Spottedfeather 12-10-10 01:22 AM

I really hope this comes to blu-ray.....as long as it has the features of the 2 disc set, which it probably won't.

Numes 12-10-10 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 (Post 10536511)
FYI, if you watch the doc on Disc 2 about the making of the movie, the optical printing process would often cause the strength of the "light" animation to be inconsistent and sometimes even wildly unusual. During the movie, when panels will randomly light up and then dim, or flicker on for a split second, these are examples of what Lisberger is referring to. The solution for these wild glitches was just to add sound effects, but I imagine there are some of them that just bugged him, and he adjusted them digitally. This is just pure guesswork, but it's what makes the most sense to me. In any case, I doubt the version that appears on Blu-Ray will be "Special Edition"ed, which seems to be the concern.

I listened to the commentary again recently and I thought he was pretty content with the "glitch" concept that they came up with with. I could be remembering incorrectly, though. I personally thought it worked well in the movie. I hope they don't change a damn thing in the Blu-Ray.

Although some of the insane prices that people have been selling these for sound enticing, unless I know for sure that all the SF will be ported over, it's not budging from my collection. I really enjoyed the SF on this release.

tylergfoster 12-10-10 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Numes (Post 10536658)
I listened to the commentary again recently and I thought he was pretty content with the "glitch" concept that they came up with with. I could be remembering incorrectly, though. I personally thought it worked well in the movie.

I agree. I think he'd keep most of them but there's probably a tiny handful that irk him either way. But again, this is pure speculation.

Giles 12-10-10 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather (Post 10536602)
I really hope this comes to blu-ray.....as long as it has the features of the 2 disc set, which it probably won't.

considering a lot of what was on the Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 Collection didn't make it over to the bluray edition - I don't have much faith either.

g 12-11-10 05:15 AM

Even if it doesn't have all the features, this old version will be easy to find used if a new edition comes out and you can just rebuy it.

story 12-13-10 05:37 PM

My first listing on eBay didn't sell so I re-listed it twenty bucks cheaper and it sold for $100. It's going toward our first blu-ray player.

bogrod 12-14-10 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by sracer (Post 10533061)
You might think that it is ridiculous now, but wait... if the re-release has a shiny new print with the special effects "enhanced" with CGI... you might think differently. :)

Well, I don't think the studio will waste dime one on an "upgrade". I heard that they tried doing some screenings of the original recently, and young kids started to laugh. This apparently scared off the suits from having a re-release of the original. I think Disney is perfectly comfortable moving forward.

And, even if they do an "upgrade", I doubt they'll pull a George Lucas and make the original unavailable.

Besides, we're rapidly nearing the point where downloads are going to become the norm, and catalog titles, enhanced or unenhanced, will be available in abundance. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

porieux 12-14-10 08:04 PM

The fact that Disney doesn't have faith in the original version makes me not have faith in the new one.

IDrinkMolson 12-14-10 08:35 PM

I just opened my 20th Anniversary edition yesterday since the wife has never seen it. Should have sold it sealed. Didn't know it was going that high.