Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you mix your blu-rays with your DVDs?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-16-10, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Do you mix your blu-rays with your DVDs?

I’m trying to put them in the order in which I bought them. That way I can write my own autobiography without picking up a pen. Pull them all off the shelves, look for Twister and go from there. I'll be able to see how I got from Color Purple to The Lost Boys in twenty-five moves. What I really like about my new system is that it makes me more complicated than I am. To find anything you have to be me, or at the very least a doctor in Bob-ology. If you wanna find Labyrinth you have to know that I bought it for someone in the fall of 1999 and then didn't give it to them for personal reasons. But you don't know any of that, do you?

Last edited by BobSolo; 11-16-10 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-16-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by BobSolo
If you wanna find Labyrinth you have to know that I bought it for someone in the fall of 1999 and then didn't give it to them for personal reasons.
That's signature material.
Old 11-16-10, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
That's signature material.
If only I wasn't plagiarizing High Fidelity.
Old 11-16-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If only I wasn't plagiarizing High Fidelity.
So?
Old 11-16-10, 12:26 PM

If you wanna find Labyrinth you have to know that I bought it for someone in the fall of 1999 and then didn't give it to them for personal reasons. But you don't know any of that, do you?
I almost made a High Fidelity joke as well. Well played

I wanted to seperate the formats, but the wife vetoed the idea so she can just look alphabetically and find what she wants to watch.
Old 11-16-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TerryAlexFan
Actually I mix my DVDs in with my Blu-rays.
Old 11-16-10, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

Mixed, alphabetically - I collect movies, not media.
Old 11-16-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101
Mixed, alphabetically - I collect movies, not media.
I get your point, but as others have noted, since Blu-ray cases are shorter you can maximize your use of your shelf space by segregating the two formats (depending on your arrangement, number of titles, etc.). If all our DVDs and Blus fit on the same shelving units, I'd probably merge them. As it is, there's going to be an overflow anyway, and it makes more sense to isolate the Blus, which can go onto a smaller unit more readily.
Old 11-16-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reverie
I loved the Ikea shelves... then they went and changed the colors slightly and still called them the same thing. I wasn't very happy to find that out (after a purchase and subsequent return).. so in the event of expansion, I'll have to figure something else out one day. I'm still saddened months later that they changed the colors and I can't get more of the same (I've got probably close to ten shelves around of the same color, different sizes, from Ikea).
I was surprised when they dropped a lot of wood colors. Luckilly (and preplanned) I went with basic black, which they still make and still have several unopened boxes. Part of the reason was it was $10 cheaper per unit. The other was if they ever stopped black, it would still go with any other flat color or fake wood. I don't know what color/wood you went with, but it would go with black or white. I'm using the same shelf design, so mixing and matching a color or two won't matter much if I ever I have to do so. Sounds like you have different styles shelves. Still, if it's used for media you could mix it up and still have it look nice.
Old 11-16-10, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Separate. They look terrible mixed together.
Old 11-16-10, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Separate.

But to be fair, I also don't believe in special additions that include a Blu and regular DVDs sharing the same case as it was not how God intended it. Digital copies are an abomination unto the Lord and having two DVDs in one case is just gross because the two male mounts have to touch each other when the case is closed. Icky.
Old 11-16-10, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Separate. ALWAYS.

And personally (since the topic kind of got into this) I detest any gimmick packaging that doesn't come in a standard size case. Lenticular covers etc are fine...but funny cases like batman masks and alien/simpsons heads....blech. Hell, I'm not even a big fan of slipcovers/box sets.
Any conversation regarding digibooks or steel books or whatever the fuck they're called makes my head spin. I remember when we had enough to whine about with the long wait for titles to be released, the not getting shipments before release day, whether they were anamorphic or not and whether it was ethical to open multiple accounts to maximize reel.com and 800.com coupons. Now we can get all bent out of shape because my tin was dented or my slipcover is missing. Can someone alert the media? end of rant whheeww, I feel better.
Old 11-16-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

I shouldn't be surprised at this point, but I'm still constantly taken aback by the amount of OCD in this forum. It must bother you guys that the print on the spines aren't all in the same font...
Old 12-01-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Any conversation regarding digibooks or steel books or whatever the fuck they're called makes my head spin. I remember when we had enough to whine about with the long wait for titles to be released, the not getting shipments before release day, whether they were anamorphic or not and whether it was ethical to open multiple accounts to maximize reel.com and 800.com coupons. Now we can get all bent out of shape because my tin was dented or my slipcover is missing. Can someone alert the media? end of rant whheeww, I feel better.
I gotta admit when I see people buying steelbooks where they have no intention of even watching the movie (or even LIKE the movie), I shake my head. Then again, I am pretty sure I have an unopened copy of the Superman death/rebirth comics from years ago when I was a kid...so who am I to shake my head and cluck a tongue? LOL. I just hate gimmick packaging--I likes my shelves uniform as can be.

I shouldn't be surprised at this point, but I'm still constantly taken aback by the amount of OCD in this forum. It must bother you guys that the print on the spines aren't all in the same font...
Well I guess we all have our own line where we start being "OCD", some worse than others...I can't stand the way the smaller BR cases don't line up with the taller DVD cases personally--but even in the same sized case, I'd probably still separate them by format. And yeah, I just flipped the light switch 7 times in a row and tapped my hat twice before I left my office. What of it?
Old 12-01-10, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mixed. The only discs that are together are series and things that I have watched. The rest are boxed and/or scattered around the house.
Old 12-01-10, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Which is why I organize by studio. It helps somewhat.

Off to wash my hands again. . .
Old 12-01-10, 10:03 PM

I always have television shows (alphabetized) first and then movies (alphabetized) right after. Now that I've started buying Blu-Ray, I have the television show sets (a-z), then Blu-Ray television (a-z), then Blu-Ray movies (a-z), then DVD movies (well, you know).
Old 12-02-10, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have enough room for DVDs, let alone adding something else to the shelves. I recently starting taking books to work so I could put the blu-rays on a bookshelf. Not enough for them all but it's better than the floor with everything else.
Old 12-02-10, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All mixed together, alphabetical within (broad) genre categories. When I'm looking for something, I'm choosing a movie, not a format... so I don't see a need to categorize them that way.
Old 12-02-10, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pizza
I was surprised when they dropped a lot of wood colors. Luckilly (and preplanned) I went with basic black, which they still make and still have several unopened boxes. Part of the reason was it was $10 cheaper per unit. The other was if they ever stopped black, it would still go with any other flat color or fake wood. I don't know what color/wood you went with, but it would go with black or white. I'm using the same shelf design, so mixing and matching a color or two won't matter much if I ever I have to do so. Sounds like you have different styles shelves. Still, if it's used for media you could mix it up and still have it look nice.
We did mix in a few different shelf designs & doors on some, but we picked all the same wood color. Sadly I think even a 'neutral' color would look odd at this point since it'd just be a shelf here and there mixed in with what we've already got (including doors).

Actually, that doesn't bother me, but it does bother me that the logos couldn't all be in the same spot and little things like that (not that I obsess over it, but an observation none-the-less). I'm a graphic designer, and a bit of a perfectionist myself.. so yeah..
Old 12-02-10, 11:08 AM

Blu-rays with DVDs? Pfft, I mix my VHS tapes with DVDs (wrestling collection...). It's a bit of a ballache because the shelf I've bought fits 4 horizontal DVDs fine, or even 2 DVD's and 2 VHS tapes, but if it falls in such a way that there are more than 2 VHS tapes in alignment, they simply will not fit.
Old 12-02-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Was toying with the idea of seperating blue rays from the dvds. But there are so few blue rays in my collecting at present becuse they are still more expensive than their dvd counterparts, that they would look silly alphabetized by themselves on a shelf. Maybe in teh future when the prices come down to more reasonable levels.
Old 12-02-10, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine is separate DVD and Blu-ray!
Old 12-03-10, 03:17 AM

i mixed them. Arrange them Alphabetically
Old 12-03-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It never did before, but now that you mention it...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.