Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

2010 TV on DVD Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-11, 10:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: 2010 TV on DVD Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Don't the mods read this?

If no new people sign on to the list thread, it'll disappear off this page.

Who are the mods on this forum anyway?
I requested to mod 'nemein' to make the thread list a sticky.
Old 01-03-11, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

It's up now. Thank you.
Old 01-03-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Two points about Trivia Questions, Round #1. Firstly, the question regarding Dragnet is not a "typo," and I don't consider it a trick question. Secondly, you must correctly answer all three questions in order to be eligible. You've got until midnight tomorrow, so be sure to PM those answers!
Old 01-03-11, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Is that from that TV Sci-Fi set you linked to earlier?
Yes.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
...Based on what you described, I'd be a horrible writer for the show.

Jet: "Hey Captain, what do you know about the Hill 303 massacre?"

Captain: "That's when American POWs were gunned down because the North Koreans thought they'd slow down their retreat."

Jet: "Are you saying their government approved of what they did?"

Captain: "Actually, no, they didn't. And that's where we come in, Jet. To make sure history occurs like the books say they do. The history books we get from Texas. 100% accurate and Grade-A American!"

Did they do an Indian episode or help Lincoln get shot?
- The Indian episodes would have to be the ones on Daniel Boone and the Pony Express. They talked up the "good" Indians who helped Boone and mainly attempted to avoid much discussion of "bad" Indians. In the Pony Express episode the head of the rival firm indicated the Indians killed off the Express riders because they trespassed on Indian land where he went south to avoid confrontation. This elicited a reply from the Pony Express honcho to say "but we get it there in a third the time". In spite of this Z-Ro and Jet helped the Pony Express guy. Mainly because the head of the rival firm was played as a real evil sort who'd do anything to win. Essentially, the Indians were depicted pretty stereotypically.

They only helped the "good guys" and pretty much avoided "controversial" history and "adjustments". It'd be along the lines of "Jet, the crew is about to mutiny and turn the ships back to Spain. If we don't do something Magellan won't discover the straits off the South American coast". Or "Watch and see how being bad/evil can cause your downfall" when dealing with historical figures like King John of England.

I found the series mostly fun but sometimes a tough watch! When Captain Z-Ro would talk it felt like being in History class. Your dialog really isn't too far off the target with the cheese and would actually fit the show had they done such an episode!
Old 01-03-11, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I finished last night's viewing with "Tales of Frankenstein" (1958) - a Hammer Studios production and a pilot for a proposed series. It was directed by Curt Siodmak (primarily know for his writing skills on *many* classic horror films) and stars Anton Diffring ("The Man Who Could Cheat Death", "Fahrenheit 451", and more), and Helen Westcott ("Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde", "Adventures of Don Juan", and many more films/TV).

This is an excellent production which I feel is as good as most Hammer theatrical films. I don't see how this was not picked up as a series unless production costs were prohibitively high, which is possible considering the sets, sound, scripts, etc. of this 30 minute treat. It's very fast moving and covers a lot of territory for such a short running time but it is absolutely top notch! If you're a fan of classic monster stories/films and especially a Hammer Horror fan you owe it to yourself to see this one.
Old 01-03-11, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Two points about Trivia Questions, Round #1. Firstly, the question regarding Dragnet is not a "typo," and I don't consider it a trick question. Secondly, you must correctly answer all three questions in order to be eligible. You've got until midnight tomorrow, so be sure to PM those answers!
Can someone win more than one prize?
Old 01-03-11, 10:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Crap... I guess I'm in. I didn't know about this challenge until, literally, January 1st when I was catching up on the forum. The October horror challenge usually wipes me out and I wasn't going to do another one, but.... it's TV shows! TV on DVD is really the only way I watch shows anymore, so what the hell. I'm in!

Old 01-04-11, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
general spoilers for Fringe
Spoiler:
I'm going to wait to start S3 but while I've found the episodes dealing with the pattern and the alt-universe really interesting, I find the stand-alone episodes to be glorified X-Files rip-offs in most cases.
It definitely has that vibe, but I was a big fan back in the day so I don't think that's a terrible thing.
Old 01-04-11, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which Dragnet "premiere" are you referring to, and how does that relate to Friday's first partner? That was my point about the question

Enjoying the challenge so far (naturally, since I'm a TV.commer!), and appreciate the work you are putting into it for us.
Old 01-04-11, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by KaBluie
Can someone win more than one prize?
I think the standard is that you can only win one. I should have specified that. (Sorry; rookie host mistake!) If anyone who has entered would rather be withdrawn in hopes of winning another prize later, let me know.

Originally Posted by JOKipper
Which Dragnet "premiere" are you referring to, and how does that relate to Friday's first partner? That was my point about the question
Dragnet premiered on this day in 1954. Which actor played Sergeant Joe Friday's first TV partner?
I thought that made it pretty clear "which premiere" and how it related to Friday's first partner.

EDIT
After staring at this off and on, I finally see where the typo is. The year should have been 1951. My apologies.

Last edited by Travis McClain; 01-04-11 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-04-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I think the standard is that you can only win one. I should have specified that. (Sorry; rookie host mistake!) If anyone who has entered would rather be withdrawn in hopes of winning another prize later, let me know.

I thought that made it pretty clear "which premiere" and how it related to Friday's first partner.

EDIT
After staring at this off and on, I finally see where the typo is. The year should have been 1951. My apologies.
Yeah, the Dragnet MOVIE premiered in 1954. The TV series in 1951. It may have been the first movie spun off from a TV series, although any time I think something was first, it usually means I'm forgetting something earlier.

The Dragnet TV show was, of course, in b&w, but the movie was in color. It was shot in the period in which L.A. CONFIDENTIAL took place, so it would be interesting to compare their different takes on the LAPD, one made at the time, one made 43 years later, both wildly improbable. The Dragnet movie is pretty unusual and I highly recommend it. Jack Webb was a strange man.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 01-04-11 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-04-11, 11:44 PM

I've been going through Mad Men (I had already started in December) and I have to say that after a slow start (almost all of Season 1), I'm really impressed with Season 2 and the start of Season 3. A really great show.

It's a good challenge to have to help burn through some of those sets I've been meaning to watch.

Thanks for hosting MinLShaw.
Old 01-05-11, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
I've been going through Mad Men (I had already started in December) and I have to say that after a slow start (almost all of Season 1), I'm really impressed with Season 2 and the start of Season 3. A really great show.
I've heard a lot of good things about the show, and I've put off watching it until the challenge started. I must say that I'm having a hard time making it through Season 1, but your post encourages me to keep going with it at least through Season 2.
Old 01-05-11, 12:48 AM

Comedy Central's brief 'That's My Bush' I could barely watch the first episode - but damn, it was horrible. I can't believe Trey Parker actually wrote it.
Old 01-05-11, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have five entries for The Color Honeymooners:

1. dtcarson
2. JOKipper
3. Dimension X
4. KaBluie
5. MrTerrific

One respondent only answered one of the three questions. I sent a reply that the other two questions needed to be answered as well and have not heard back. If you PM'd answers to me and do not see your name, you need to contact me quickly to ensure that you are in the running to win.
Old 01-05-11, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last call to get in on The Color Honeymooners. Drawing will be conducted early this evening.
Old 01-05-11, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Math Goodies custom randomizer has smiled favorably upon MrTerrific as the winner of The Color Honeymooners. Congratulations!

Look for Trivia Questions, Round #2 in the next few days.
Old 01-05-11, 08:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you, thank you *royal wave*
Old 01-05-11, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We're onto disc 3 of House, M.D.: Season Five. We had flaked out earlier in the day with some NCIS on USA but for some reason or other I didn't make note of which episodes. I can't speak for anyone else, but I feel a lot less motivated to "count" TV content not on DVD.
Old 01-05-11, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by JOKipper
I've heard a lot of good things about the show, and I've put off watching it until the challenge started. I must say that I'm having a hard time making it through Season 1, but your post encourages me to keep going with it at least through Season 2.
Season 1 is basically a 13-episode introduction to the characters. Season 2 is when everything starts moving at a quicker pace. I blind-bought all three seasons on Blu during Amazon's Black Friday sale, so I haven't had much of a choice except to watch them all, but I'd give Season 1 a 4 out of 5; Season 2 a 5 out of 5; and Season 3 is off to a strong start (I'm currently 4 episodes in).

I've been thinking that it reminds me of Deadwood, not in subject matter, but in presentation. We have a long setup while being introduced to numerous characters and after a number of hours of TV time, then you get attached to the characters.
Old 01-06-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Mr. Terrific, your Color Honeymooners is going out priority mail this afternoon. Congratulations and I hope you enjoy it!

Rich Hamilton
Old 01-06-11, 11:41 AM

We're onto disc 3 of House, M.D.: Season Five. We had flaked out earlier in the day with some NCIS on USA but for some reason or other I didn't make note of which episodes. I can't speak for anyone else, but I feel a lot less motivated to "count" TV content not on DVD.
I agree, but I have been counting it.
Old 01-06-11, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Mr. Terrific, your Color Honeymooners is going out priority mail this afternoon. Congratulations and I hope you enjoy it!

Rich Hamilton
Thanks!
Old 01-06-11, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Started late as I was just catching up on the forum after a couple month break, but I just opened my challenge with Boom Town from the Christoper Eccleston Doctor Who series. I am looking forward to this challenge as I have a lot of TV series on DVD, and a Netflix account for even more
Old 01-06-11, 05:20 PM

I'm loving the 1991/2001 British series 'People Like Us' - the humour is ace and you can see how this type of show became the catalyst for the technique that was used for 'The Office' . Sadly the disc that I had rented from Potomac Video had two discs of Disc 2 and no Disc 1 - grrrrrr

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.