Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Old 10-31-10, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Trevor
Really? I found nothing at all even slightly original until maybe the last minute or so. Everyone seems to be raving about it, and I wanted to like it, but I thought it was boring and very derivative. Very disappointed.
It did a nice job setting up the story and Rick's character. There was enough action to keep it fun, the makeup looks good and I think the acting is a mirror image of these characters from the comics.

It could have been better but I'm not disappointed in it at all through the first episode.
Old 11-01-10, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Really? I found nothing at all even slightly original until maybe the last minute or so. Everyone seems to be raving about it, and I wanted to like it, but I thought it was boring and very derivative. Very disappointed.
I did feel like more could have happened in the course of 90 minutes; that's as long as a feature film and not a lot really happened aside from introducing the principle characters and the setting. But I think this is a series with a lot of potential, because the premise is that it's about what daily life is like after the point where most of those 90 minute zombie movies end. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what the rest of the season is like.

Anyway, I've given up on the unwatched horror pile and, with just enough time for a few more movies until dawn, I'm going with my favorites for the remaining time. My guts are all kinds of upset so I don't know how much I'll get to watch, but I'm currently looking at Bubba Ho-Tep followed by Shaun of the Dead and finishing the challenge with From Dusk Till Dawn. That should bring me up to sunrise, more or less.
Old 11-01-10, 12:09 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
finishing the challenge with From Dusk Till Dawn. That should bring me up to sunrise, more or less.
Nice! I'd consider that if I hadn't had already watched it this month. I guess I could do one of the sequels, but I like myself too much.
Old 11-01-10, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice! I'd consider that if I hadn't had already watched it this month. I guess I could do one of the sequels, but I like myself too much.
I've never seen any of the sequels. My perception of them was that they were just studio cash-ins that associated themselves with the title of the movie for the sake of attracting its audience.
Old 11-01-10, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope everyone saying goodbyes now remembers to come back for list voting, final result rules, etc.

Me, I still need to fit in Child's Play to fill my remaining two Checklist entries. Then I guess I'll stay up watching something else, as I don't want to go out with Child's Play being my last film.
Old 11-01-10, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Maybe because I haven't read the comics and so came to it with no preconceptions about the story or characters, but The Walking Dead rocked my socks. Can't wait until next week!

I just watched Trick 'r Treat, and I think I'll finish up with some classic Universal horror like Bride of Frankenstein.
Old 11-01-10, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks! That was alot of fun!

My results:

184 Total
114 First Timers
Completed The Checklist on Oct. 14th
Reached The Challenge Goal Oct. 19th
Reached My Personal Goal Oct. 19th
Beat My Personal Best Oct. 25th
Reached My Second Personal Goal Oct. 28th
Old 11-01-10, 12:54 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I forgot I still had a wildcard free, I'm going to finish the challenge off using it on an episode of Treehouse of Horror.

2AM - about to start Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers, I might be able to hit 165 by dawn...I'm regretting the 4 days I basically took off from watching anything due to basketball, I think I could have hit 200, maybe.

I know one thing, I'm not watching a movie, TV, and limited internet tomorrow, my eyes need a rest.
Old 11-01-10, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Well, I decided to end with Halloween after all. I decided to listen to the RiffTrax for it, and it's really funny. Now it's time for sleep and a return to full-time employment. Looking forward to all the results and continued discussion, though.
Old 11-01-10, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just finished up Halloween H20 for a grand total of 107, beating last year's total by 7. I'll look through it more in depth tomorrow. This was a lot of fun yet again.
Old 11-01-10, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
Well, I decided to end with Halloween after all. I decided to listen to the RiffTrax for it, and it's really funny.
I enjoyed that RiffTrax as well. Only problem is it makes the film difficult to take seriously afterward. Well, maybe not "seriously" but it altered my level of enjoyment a bit. One of the better ones I've heard, though.
Old 11-01-10, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Reminds me of the night I was on a group date and insisted we rent Evil Dead. First and last date with that girl....

I had three goals for the challenge: Watch The Evil Dead for the first time, catch up on True Blood, and start Buffy. Well, I was hoping to watch The Haunting too...

The only goal I accomplished was The Evil Dead, which was one messed-up film. Not really my thing but I've been interested in the trilogy for a long time so I figured the challenge was a good time to break out my new Blu-ray disc. I was intrigued enough to maybe watch the others in next year's challenge. I'm a total novice compared to you guys and have only recently started watching horror (Friday the 13th remake, Trick 'r Treat, The Hills Run Red) other than sci-fi hybrids like Resident Evil. With all my commitments, there's no way I could watch all the stuff you guys have, and probably wouldn't want to watch most of it.

I'm watching The Walking Dead right now to close it out. I've only read the first issue of the series but have noticed a number of differences. We'll see how it finishes up.

So it'll be another appearance at the bottom for me, but I appreciate folks like Trevor and MinLShaw saying it's not about the numbers but the participation. (Note: I started but never finished Wages of Fear for the Criterion challenge--fell asleep twice ).
Old 11-01-10, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Grand total of 86 this year. 49 films more than my total during last year's Challenge.

Ending the Challenge with Episodes of Dexter Season 5, was a great idea.

Had a lot of fun, but I can't wait to get back on a normal sleep schedule
Old 11-01-10, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
So it'll be another appearance at the bottom for me, but I appreciate folks like Trevor and MinLShaw saying it's not about the numbers but the participation. (Note: I started but never finished Wages of Fear for the Criterion challenge--fell asleep twice ).
Yeah, I'm looking at my list and I'm gonna stall at around 65 (66 if I can find a half hour of TV content to pair with the premiere of The Walking Dead). I can account for some dead time in the month where my wife vegged out with House reruns or Lifetime movies, or I was watching baseball, but it's hard to really envision us clearing 100 movies. I definitely don't see us ever reaching the high view counts that others have had of 140+. And Trevor...I will never know how that guy does it. I really just don't!

Two years ago when I first started visiting this site and paying attention to things like this challenge, I was too intimidated by those high view totals to bother participating, but I've gotten a lot more comfortable just watching whatever it is that I watch and finding the real appeal in the discussion threads and not the list counts. It's nice to see someone else share that perspective; I think that's the attitude that can make these challenges viable going forward.
Old 11-01-10, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Just barely over the 100 mark, I still can't believe how all you people with jobs did it.

Finishing off the challenge with Linnea Quigley's Horror Workout

Will update list tomorrow, after sleep...
Old 11-01-10, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Double post?

Last edited by SterlingBen; 11-01-10 at 03:00 AM.
Old 11-01-10, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, just finished Halloween and am turning in at 127. This has been a great time. Here's some final thoughts from my list:

FINAL THOUGHTS:
Spoiler:

This was a great Challenge this year. I had a lot of fun, and I met and exceeded all of my goals. I really wanted to break 100 this year, but I also ended up with some bonuses:

• Total over 100 watches
• Completed all 3 “Checklists”
• Watched each 31 Films Subset on the specified day (I think this was the most difficult)
• Watched on 12 formats (some lumped together as the same, i.e. personal devices)
• More than half of my watches were first time views

It seems that everyone got along quite well this year, which I believe the Challenge benefited from. It’s never any fun when the threads get uncomfortable to read.

I also really enjoyed the 31 Films Subset this year (well, except for Fear No Evil). Some stand-outs for me:

Salvage
The Children
Splinter
Dark Night of the Scarecrow

And other than the 31 Films, one of my favs this year was Repo! The Genetic Opera. I don’t know why I waited so long to watch it, but it was so good, and even made me tear up at the end. I also enjoyed my first viewing of Carnival of Souls. Souls is such a terrific visual and atmospheric feast. These were two big plusses for me.

So, many thanks to Chad for the hard work, and Trevor for the constant oversight (I believe Trevor is the official OHMC Guardian Angel).

And of course thanks to all of you participants and lurkers and anyone that loves horror, even if it’s just for once a year. Good time, lots of fun.

And whatever you do…
Old 11-01-10, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just finished the awesome one-two combination of Bubba Ho-Tep and Shaun of the Dead, two of my favorite movies regardless of genre. I was gonna start From Dusk Till Dawn, but I see that if I start it now I'll actually finish nearly two hours before sunrise. Gonna rummage through the TV library and see if I can't find a 30 minute show to pair with The Walking Dead to create a 2-hour list entry.

Also, I agree with Dick Laurent entirely that this was a very friendly discussion thread and that played a big role in keeping this enjoyable. I think if it had devolved into arguing at any point I probably would have given up watching stuff for the challenge altogether and just watched whatever my wife wanted to watch (her being the horror fan of the two of us). I'll post some end-of-challenge reflections of my own later. In the meantime, I've still got some darkness outside tellin' me to keep going!
Old 11-01-10, 04:00 AM

I think I'm tired to the point of getting sick right now. Been up for about 24 hours now, pretty much watching films the whole time. Finishing up Happy Hell Night right now. It's pretty bad, but has a couple of my favorite actors in it, Sam Rockwell and Darrin McGavin.

After this, I should go to bed, but will probably double check sunrise time and try to squeeze in another short one. I'll never do this again. 13 hours a day for a month is unhealthy. I'm sort of glad that I did it this one time, just to prove my limits, but if I could go back to October 1 I would have done it with more moderation.
Old 11-01-10, 04:00 AM

I think I'm tired to the point of getting sick right now. Been up for about 24 hours now, pretty much watching films the whole time. Finishing up Happy Hell Night right now. It's pretty bad, but has a couple of my favorite actors in it, Sam Rockwell and Darrin McGavin.

After this, I should go to bed, but will probably double check sunrise time and try to squeeze in another short one. I'll never do this again. 13 hours a day for a month is unhealthy. I'm sort of glad that I did it this one time, just to prove my limits, but if I could go back to October 1 I would have done it with more moderation.

Forum glitch, double post.

Last edited by Trevor; 11-01-10 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-01-10, 04:04 AM

So tired. After a really long weekend in which I planned to watch a few movies each day to make to exactly 100, I instead crammed in as much as I possibly could today, and am staying up even though I am really tired to watch 1 more and get into the triple digits.

Didn't think I would have time to watch many today, because I was supposed to work and hang out with this girl I've been sort of hanging out with lately. But I called her and jokingly suggested watching crappy horror movies all day and she was totally into it. So I picked her up, brought her home and started watching movies. In the process I totally forgot about work, but found out that she loves Dead Alive and laughs in all the right places of Slumber Party Massacre 3, so I think she may be the perfect girl.

OK, one more movie, then sleep...
Old 11-01-10, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Alright, I guess I'm calling it a night after reaching 185. Like the rest of you guys, very pooped over here. But I'll have a big boost tomorrow when I sum up my annual awards.
Old 11-01-10, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I decided to squeeze in "Boo!" the first of the Roseanne Halloween episodes to round up the Walking Dead premiere into a full, 2-hour TV entry. Now to conclude this year's viewing with From Dusk Till Dawn which should end just as the sun rises.
Old 11-01-10, 05:42 AM

I'm still here too, but barely. Started a (TV?) film called Lady in White, but noticed that it was two hours long and seemed to be of the slow variety. So, to stay breezy and also to hopefully cheer me up I pulled out a couple horror comedies that I've wanted to see for over 20 years, the Saturday the 14th films. Ugh, they're pretty awful. So much for ending on a high note. In fact, almost every film in my ~30 hour marathon here has been bad to mediocre. The worst quality day of the month by far.
Old 11-01-10, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

congrats to everyone reaching theyre goals and hell surviving the month. been busy this month outside of work so work and a portable dvd player were a saving grace. reached 100 last week id say bu need to pick up my notebook where i jotted down dates titles and thoughts since i havent had much computer time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.