Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-10, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
They're pretty superfluous this year, with the inclusion of TV content, but there are still some fairly borderline things people could have chosen to watch that would seem questionable on an official list. An example given was the Food Network episodes about Halloween-themed contests and grub. They're on-topic, but they're not Horror at all, hence the wild card.
OK, so say I watch a bunch of TV but end up with one left over Treehouse of Horror that doesn't add up or one extra short film. Could I throw that in as a wildcard, that was how I always used them in the past.
Old 10-31-10, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by ParadiseVendors
Dawn is at 9:27am tomorrow for me. So I might have time to make it to 100 after all. I have to get in 9 before then, I have done it before.

And what is the deal with wildcards this year. I'm confused, I thought they were just wrapped up into watch 2 hours of TV for an entry or 90 minutes of shorts for an entry?
They are for stuff just outside the bounds of horror movie or tv.

For example I used my wild cards on an episode of "In Search of", "Evil Dead: The Musical" & a local horror convention.
Old 10-31-10, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadiseVendors
OK, so say I watch a bunch of TV but end up with one left over Treehouse of Horror that doesn't add up or one extra short film. Could I throw that in as a wildcard, that was how I always used them in the past.
Or you could just add it to the last TV/short film entry you have. Just because you go over the 2 hours of TV or 90 minutes of short films doesn't mean you can't count a leftover with an entry.
Old 10-31-10, 03:03 PM

I think I'll probably watch the Halloween episode of Freaks and Geeks then. Was thinking about it yesterday, but wanted to wait cause I wasn't sure it would count.
Old 10-31-10, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're pretty superfluous this year, with the inclusion of TV content, but there are still some fairly borderline things people could have chosen to watch that would seem questionable on an official list. An example given was the Food Network episodes about Halloween-themed contests and grub. They're on-topic, but they're not Horror at all, hence the wild card.
Yeah, I'm using them for Food Network and HGTV Halloween stuff that I would never count on a real list. In fact, I feel kind of dirty counting them as Wild Cards in the first, but I couldn't think of what else to use them for, so I'll let them stand. And I HAD to use them to fulfill my obsession with completing every aspect of the Challenge.

Anyway, I like being able to have a diary of even those type of shows I watch with the family as well, but wouldn't normally count.
Old 10-31-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Star Trek Facebook page posted this video today. Good stuff.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rIckeYVuMC0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rIckeYVuMC0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 10-31-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I wasn't going to take part this year, but I found myself sucked right in. Just posted my list in the thread. I'm almost to 100 and will definitely hit it sometime today. I went a lot easier than in the past and found myself enjoying myself more.
And that makes two. Welcome back.

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Do you have that on DVD? I have the Anchor Bay VHS, and it is pretty high caliber for an old format. I'll be watching it soon myself.
No, just a DVD-R converted from the VHS. I missed the boat on the DVD.

And a quick check reveals new copies are currently starting at $167.99 on Amazon Marketplace.

Originally Posted by bse
I need to update my list, eat, and then get started on today's marathon - I'm aiming for 9 movies today.
Same. That is, if I plan on getting to 160. For whatever reason hitting 158 or 159 just doesn't feel right ...I need a nice even number.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Will probably switch off the TVs for at least a few days, and then maybe watch all comedy for a couple months.
I'm going to concentrate on the some of the supplemental material I didn't get to, which is practically all of it.

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I myself have never gotten past 8 movies in one day (not including MoH or FI or WC). I think I'll ignore all festivities today and knock out as many as I can. Right now, checklist completion is stressin' me out. I'm so close.
Looks like I'll fall short once again. That damn "Watch a film and its remake" gets me every time.
Old 10-31-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

30 Second Bunny Theater doesn't really count much but is a lot of fun to recap the month.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-31-10 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-31-10, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chad
Looks like I'll fall short once again. That damn "Watch a film and its remake" gets me every time.
My Bloody Valentine filled that one for me, since we watched the original for the 31 Films.
Old 10-31-10, 04:55 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to watch Ringu to finish my checklist, I plan on doing that to end everything in the morning. Watching all the Halloweens now (already watched 3 wont be watching Resurrection) then Trick r Treat.. My initial goal was 9 films today, but I think I will be blowing by that, as long as I can stay up.
Old 10-31-10, 05:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Watching the original Halloween right now, which will complete my second pass through the uber-expanded checklist. OCD sucks sometimes, but it was a lot of fun.
Old 10-31-10, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Need to update my list... I was real lazy and only updated it once so far this month so have to get them all typed up tonight. Thankfully I didnt hit over a hundred like last year, but met my goal of one movie a day. Finished today by the original Halloween which is how I always like to end the challenge. I will watch The Walking Dead tonight, but not going to throw it on the list.
Old 10-31-10, 05:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

For whatever reason, this year's challenge has felt much more relaxed and easygoing for me. With only a couple of exceptions (when the USPS/Netflix threw my schedule off whack), I haven't felt myself getting all that anxious to get to more and more movies each day. Haven't been staying up late or getting out of bed all that early on the weekends. And yet somehow I'm looking at getting at least to 160 this year, passing up last year's count of 126. I think it must be because I've been getting home from work earlier or something, because otherwise I can't figure it out!

Also, this is the first year I've completed the checklist with no duplicates (or will have, once I get to Halloween today), watched at least 1 movie for each theme night and watched all of the films on the 31 subset list.

Best of all, there have been far fewer stinkers than years past. I think I'll give credit for that to those picking the movies and the cool theme nights.

Still on schedule for today are my long-time traditional October movies: Halloween and The Fog (the originals, of course), as well as the new tradition, Trick 'r Treat, and the premiere of The Walking Dead (please let it be awesome!).
Old 10-31-10, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been helping the economy out quite a bit during this challenge...

Glad to finally have a reason to pick up the movies I've been after for quite a while. I won't be hitting 100 this year but I still had fun.
Old 10-31-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Downside: I felt entirely too miserable to go to Ohio with my wife as planned. Upside: I'm home getting in a few more movies. Just finished From Hell, based on Alan Moore's take on Jack the Ripper. Quite the conspiracy theory, but plausible enough to be fascinating and chilling. I really liked the chemistry between Johnny Depp and Robbie Coltrane; they'd have made for an interesting Holmes & Watson.
Old 10-31-10, 06:48 PM

I really liked the chemistry between Johnny Depp and Robbie Coltrane; they'd have made for an interesting Holmes & Watson.
I think I recall Ian Holm being very good/effective in that movie, as well.
Old 10-31-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ThomasB
I think I recall Ian Holm being very good/effective in that movie, as well.
Yes, he was. Really, I loved the whole thing. I wouldn't present it as a documentary of course, but it's a very atmospheric and believable interpretation of known events. Not a bad performance to be found, though I admit to being distracted by Heather Graham in her scenes; I kept wondering what's happened to her since then.
Old 10-31-10, 07:12 PM

Not a bad performance to be found, though I admit to being distracted by Heather Graham in her scenes; I kept wondering what's happened to her since then.
Graham is underrated. I think she was expected to have a career kick-start after The Hangover, but then it never materialized. She's apparently not in the sequel either, because the story "doesn't allow room for her character".
Old 10-31-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

#100 will be my final film of the challenge - In the Mouth of Madness. Looks like I'm really going down to the wire this year.
Old 10-31-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Think I'll end my Challenge total with a couple episodes of Dexter Season 5. Been lagging on starting the season.

Really putting off doing the work/class related stuff I have to do before tomorrow.
Old 10-31-10, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I finished up Halloween which completes my checklist needs. It was a perfect way to start winding down the challenge. Dawn of the Dead remake now until The Walking Dead starts.
Old 10-31-10, 08:09 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went a head and watched Ringu to complete my checklist, now back to the Halloween marathon...

5 more to go then Trick r Treat.... Dawn is 8:04am here... I'm sure my girlfriend will appreciate me still being up watching movies while she is leaving for work.
Old 10-31-10, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Take 2 year old offspring to plunder candy or watch horror movies? Hmmm...
Old 10-31-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Take 2 year old offspring to plunder candy or watch horror movies? Hmmm...
Photoshop something later and just convince the kid you went trick-or-treating. No one remembers jack from being two. And to prove it, look at my list page. I was almost two in that picture, and that photo is the only thing I have to go on that I even wore a costume or went anywhere for Halloween that year. For all I know, the picture was taken in November with me wearing a costume my parents bought on clearance, and they dropped me with a sitter and went out that night.
Old 10-31-10, 08:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
until The Walking Dead starts.
I was excited for that and planning to watch it at 10, but just saw the trailer and it didn't sell me at all. Think I'll just stick to the theme now.
Originally Posted by bse
5 more to go then Trick r Treat.... Dawn is 8:04am here... I'm sure my girlfriend will appreciate me still being up watching movies while she is leaving for work.
I can tell from my tired eyes right now that I'm not going to make it all the way to dawn. Maybe just a few more, but I have about 15 films that take place on Halloween and am having trouble deciding which ones to watch.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.