Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Old 11-01-10, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I just had more of your Booberry btw.
You tease.
Old 11-01-10, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

...And behold, the pale blue light of dawn! It's funny, because the first time I ever saw From Dusk Till Dawn was a night back in high school when my friends and I stayed up all night watching movies and we finished with this just as dawn broke. Three things: George Clooney is hilarious, Tom Savini is cool as Sex Machine and Salma Hayek may never have been hotter. I love this movie!
Old 11-01-10, 06:43 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

i posted my list as final. excellent challenge for me this year. 52 total which beats last year by 17. very happy i got to the 50 mark as prior to this weekend i was just content to beat last year. saw a lot of new stuff which i didn't last year and that felt good as well. liked that i did all 7 Saw movies for some reason. i guess that was my subset.

all in all, very happy with the caliber of movies and variety.

thanks Chad for running a very nice challenge yet again and putting in such incredible hard work and making everything look great and run so smoothly!
Old 11-01-10, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gonna tally up my totals now; got a question. Does it count as a first time viewing to watch a movie with a commentary track if you've never heard that commentary track before? After all, that's the whole purpose of watching it with that option.
Old 11-01-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
Finishing off the challenge with Linnea Quigley's Horror Workout
Wow... I did not know this existed. It looks hilariously cheesy. Is it avaliable online somewhere?

As an aside I was surprised to read on imdb that she "wore a crotch-covering, flesh-colored prosthetic during her strip scene" in Return of the Living Dead.
Old 11-01-10, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
...Does it count as a first time viewing to watch a movie with a commentary track if you've never heard that commentary track before? After all, that's the whole purpose of watching it with that option.
I counted virgin commentaries in my first time viewing calculations. I think someone else said they did too a few pages back.
Old 11-01-10, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
Wow... I did not know this existed. It looks hilariously cheesy. Is it avaliable online somewhere?

As an aside I was surprised to read on imdb that she "wore a crotch-covering, flesh-colored prosthetic during her strip scene" in Return of the Living Dead.
They talk about it in the ROTLD commentary... the execs. apparently didn't like the full nudity and asked for it. She ended up marrying the special effects guy who did it.
Old 11-01-10, 10:07 AM

This challeneg was odd for me...in the beginning I didn't feel into it, then got really into it. Also liked that there was no drama... wich I am usually part of. No one watching 15 movies a day every day this year. Just alot of fun... I am sad to see it go, but I am glad to welcome back network tv and video games,
Old 11-01-10, 10:54 AM
Banned

I reached my goal of 31 movies in 31 days, about a week ago. Finished up last night with only 40 movies watched. I will definitely do this again next year! See ya in the Christmas challenge.
Old 11-01-10, 10:56 AM

I finished with 54, so I beat my goal of 50 this year, so I'm happy.

Thanks for another awesome challenge, I appreciate all of the work you put into these, Chad.
Old 11-01-10, 11:08 AM

I did horrible in this challenge, but just making note that I started my list quite late and don't appear on the list on the first post of the list thread.

I'm on the last page of the list thread or link is in my sig.
Old 11-01-10, 11:11 AM

Finished last night with a grand total of 88 (66 first time viewings), way past my goal of 31. I can't believe I made it so far, and almost though I might have been able to make 100, but oh well, maybe next year. I'm pretty proud of myself for having more than doubled the amount of movies I have watched in the past challenges I have participated in combined.

This year was a lot more fun, and I didn't feel burned out at all. Also, it was great participating in the discussion more than I have in years past. I'm sad to see the challenge go for now, I'm looking forward to doing it again next year!

Some notables: Carrie, The Omen, It's Alive, Behind the Mask, Frozen City of the Living Dead, Sleepaway Camp 2, House, Who Can Kill a Child?

Thanks, everyone, for the fun!
And thank you Chad for organizing everything!

Last edited by cwileyy; 11-01-10 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-01-10, 11:21 AM

Had fun last night on our anniversary. We made our annual trip to Voodoo Doughnuts where we got married, finished carving our pumpkins, and watched The Thing, Halloween 3, and Trick R Treat while actually having trick or treaters this year. We were pretty depressed last year when we only got one. I need to finish up my list, probably by tonight, but I think I pulled in a healthy number despite all my other issues. Being laid out for over a week being sick and dealing with migraines makes polling in three or four movies a day fairly easy. I had a ton of fun when I was able to partake this year and I'm already looking forward to next year.
Old 11-01-10, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

I was 9 short of finishing my list and 3 of them I had started but they're still in progress. I'm 10 minutes away from finishing The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll, about an hour into Q: The Winged Serpent and maybe 20-30 minutes into Frenzy.

I didn't expect to completely finish my list but I did better than I thought. I wasn't sure I'd even break 100 yet I did it with only a couple of hour long movies and a few 2 hour ones.
Old 11-01-10, 11:56 AM

Finally after 5 years of trying and failing by only a few, this year I did all 100 titles in the 31 days!
Old 11-01-10, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
I was 9 short of finishing my list and 3 of them I had started but they're still in progress... I didn't expect to completely finish my list but I did better than I thought.
Well done... that was a pretty ambitious list, when you posted it I thought you were crazy.
Old 11-01-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have three NetFlix envelopes starring at me. I know those little red devils are laughing at my failure to get to them...

I actually finished at about 0415 am. I was almost done with my last view, Halloween, and thought I'd maybe get a couple more in, but I had a bleeding paw issue to take care of which gave me a 45 minute or so detour, and completely derailed me. It's all right. 127 is a number I'm okay ending with.
Old 11-01-10, 12:17 PM

71 movies! Did not get to the 100 but a worthy effort I believe. Saw movies every day except for October 29 when I had an unescapable commitment. Finished the challenge with 2 classics, Frankenstein (Karloff) and Dracula, the Spanish version.
Is there any way to extend the challenge to November 2 - The Day of the Dead? I still got some DVDs left over to watch.
Old 11-01-10, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My list/viewing statistics and final thoughts (until the wrap-up and list voting and all that... so I guess not final at all lol)

-117 items watched totaling 107 entries
-70 of the 117 items were first time viewings (60%)
The average score I handed out to each movie was 6.3/10

The breakdown for format viewing of the 117 (some entries had more than a single format to compile it) items is:
DVD- 48
On Demand HD- 19
Blu Ray- 15
On Demand - 14
Streaming- 13
TV- 7
Theater- 1
DVD-R- 1
Download- 1

Nice Finds: Piranha, Forbidden World, The Devil Rides Out, City Of The Dead (Horror Hotel), Witchfinder General

The Bad Stuff and Disappointments: Killer Pad, Zombies Of Mass Destruction, Pandorum, The Stepfather (remake), Horrors Of Spider Island

The Wrap Up (for now): This challenge was a lot of fun, and even if it was only my 2nd time participating it is already something I'm looking forward to doing again. I was able to double my goal (thanks to more free time than expected and friends being into movie marathons with me) and beat last year's total by 7 entries.

I think the inclusion of TV and short films without the use of wild card is great. It really opens up the door to what we can watch just by adding up the runtimes to make a full entry.

Everything seemed to run very smooth and friendly this year, which is a big difference from what I saw last year in my first challenge with all of the whining from people who were upset people questioned their totals of 300+ movies haha. It didn't bother me but it was much more enjoyable to talk about movies and horror this year than it was to sift through pages of yelling at each other.

The checklist came much easier to me this year than last, not sure why but it made it interesting trying to fill it out. I'll have to try and do the subset and theme days next year.

The sponsored prizes we get for the challenge are awesome. I don't know how this started but its very cool and it seems like there are considerably more prizes this year than last which means this whole crazy thing we're doing each October is growing!

Thanks to Chad for keeping it all going in a very organized and smooth fashion, I know how much work it is just to keep my own list organized let alone the entire challenge.

I apologize for the length of this post lol
Old 11-01-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SethDLH View Post
The Bad Stuff and Disappointments: Horrors Of Spider Island
So sorry you watched that. So sorry I watched it too.
Old 11-01-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent View Post
So sorry you watched that. So sorry I watched it too.
Seriously one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Even the MST3K commentary was bad on it.
Old 11-01-10, 01:01 PM

Total watching time: 193 hours, 32 minutes (average length: 91 minutes) | 127 items total | 64% [81/127] first time viewings

Standouts: Nosferatu the Vampyre, Kill Baby... Kill!, Critters 2, Tourist Trap, Kingdom of the Spiders, The House That Dripped Blood, Haxan, Sisters, Satánico Pandemonium, Salvage (2008), Dark Night of the Scarecrow, Ringu, The Grapes of Death.

Disappointments: Fear No Evil, Dead Snow, Black Devil Doll, Header, Ringu sequels, Sorority Row, Night of the Living Dead: Reanimated, Saw II, Hellraiser: Hellworld

Regrets: Omitting Friday the 13th (part 1) from my F13 marathon of all other installments; missing the last 3 Saw films; not catching first time viewings of Xtro, Lo, Deathdream (those in particular, but in general my unwatched mountain of items).

Last edited by Undeadcow; 11-01-10 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-01-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am thinking of doing a My List Awards (sort of the best and worst).

Also, great job to all involved this year in keeping things civil.
Old 11-01-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

42 out of my 100 films were first viewings, which is a pretty good percentage for me. The best of those were The Witch Who Came In From the Sea, Drag Me to Hell, The Mist, Frozen and The Stuff.

As for the worst, there was unfortunately no shortage of candidates: Deadly Blessing, The Being, Madman, Superstition, Night of the Demons (1988), The Carrier (though it ranked quite high in terms of sheer entertainment value), and many, many others. Monster Dog and Open House were the absolute worst though, even with the welcome addition of some Adrienne Barbeau nudity in the latter. I managed to watch a large number of Blu-rays and Hi-Def Broadcasts, so at least most of the films looked good. All in all a lot of fun. Now it's time to return to the world of the living!
Old 11-01-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
42 out of my 100 films were first viewings, which is a pretty good percentage for me. The best of those were The Witch Who Came In From the Sea, Drag Me to Hell, The Mist, Frozen and The Stuff.

As for the worst, there was unfortunately no shortage of candidates: Deadly Blessing, The Being, Madman, Superstition, Night of the Demons (1988), The Carrier (though it ranked quite high in terms of sheer entertainment value), and many, many others. Monster Dog and Open House were the absolute worst though, even with the welcome addition of some Adrienne Barbeau nudity in the latter. I managed to watch a large number of Blu-rays and Hi-Def Broadcasts, so at least most of the films looked good. All in all a lot of fun. Now it's time to return to the world of the living!
You had me at The Stuff but lost me at Night of the Demons.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.