Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Old 10-20-10, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Woke up with a horrible sore throat and sinus issues. I love getting sick in October. If I have to get sick any time of the year this is the best. I can just lay around and watch movie after movie and not feel like I should be doing something else. Not that I really need the excuse.

Finishing off the Friday the 13th movies today hopefully. At least getting through part 8, might put off the next two until tomorrow.
Old 10-20-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Just got through running a much needed 6-miler. Been sitting on my ass way too much this month and it's starting to get a little marshmallowy. As I once overheard someone say while casually eavesdropping on a conversation - Get off your lazy ass or you'll develop a blood clot, which could lead to a pulmonary embolism and eventually a horrible, painful death. Death by laziness is apparently not a good way to go.

Now on to tonight's 3-fer ...Snowbound Vampires:

- Frostbitten
- 30 Days of Night
- Let the Right One In

...after I announce the winner of the trivia question, of course.
Old 10-20-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Hey, any suggestions for:

Return of . . .
Revenge of . . .

That aren't Living Dead
If I could fit in unlimited films I would have already seen these...
Return of the Vampire (1944 Bela Lugosi WWII era vampire/werewolf flick)
Return of Dracula (1958, netflix streaming)
Revenge of the Creature (Creature From the Black Lagoon sequel)
Revenge of Frankenstein (Hammer horror)
Old 10-20-10, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Return of . . .

Revenge of . . .

That aren't Living Dead

Thanks
Return of the Vampire
Return of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Return of the Forest Monster
Return of the Swamp Thing
Return of Dracula
Return of Doctor X
Return of Count Yorga
Return of Chandu
Return of the Killer Tomatoes
Return of the Jackalope
Return of the Fly
Return of the Family Man
Return of the Ape Man
Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Son of the Bride of the Return of the Terror
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers

The Revenge of Frankenstein
Revenge of the Zombies
Revenge of the Unhappy Campers
Revenge of the Red Baron
Revenge of the Radioactive Reporter
Revenge of the Creature - sequel to creature from the black lagoon
Revenge of the Calendar Girls
Revenge of Billy the Kid
Night of the Revenge of the Evil Zombitron Spy-bot
Death Valley: The Revenge of Bloody Bill
Backwoods 2: The Revenge of Caleb
Old 10-20-10, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Also Return of the Evil Dead. The second of the "Blind Dead" films.
Old 10-20-10, 07:32 PM

Received 96 Likes on 36 Posts

Return of . . .

Revenge of . . .

That aren't Living Dead

Thanks
"return of"+horror
"revenge of"+horror

Plus a quick run through the "aka-titles" text file (I wish IMDb's advanced title search had an option to search "also known as"!) turns up:

Blackenstein (aka Return of Blackenstein)
Bride of Frankenstein (aka The Return of Frankenstein [working title])
El retorno de Walpurgis (aka Return of the Werewolf) *
El retorno del Hombre-Lobo (aka Return of the Wolfman) *
Godzilla 1985 (aka The Return of Godzilla)
Gojira no gyakushû (aka The Return of Godzilla)
Witchery (aka Witchcraft: Return of the Exorcist) **
The Deadly Spawn (aka Return of the Aliens: The Deadly Spawn)

Boogeyman II (aka Revenge of the Boogeyman)
Day of the Woman (aka The Rape and Revenge of Jennifer Hills)
Dead People (aka Revenge of the Screaming Dead)
Dracula vs. Frankenstein (aka The Revenge of Dracula)
Dracula: Prince of Darkness (aka Revenge of Dracula)
Gamera 3: Incomplete Struggle (aka Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris)
Halloween 5 (aka Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers)
Halloween H20 (aka Halloween 7: The Revenge of Laurie Strode)
Kiss Daddy Goodbye (aka Revenge of the Zombie)
La maschera del demonio (aka Revenge of the Vampire)
She Beast (aka Revenge of the Blood Beast)
Madhouse (aka The Revenge of Dr. Death)
Night of the Ghouls (aka Revenge of the Dead)
Pumpkinhead II (aka The Revenge of Pumpkinhead: Blood Wings)
Terror Out of the Sky (aka The Revenge of the Savage Bees)
War of the Colossal Beast (aka Revenge of the Colossal Man)

* also fills Paul Naschy checklist item
** features Linda Blair & David Hasselhoff!
Old 10-20-10, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by alyxstarr
Witchery (aka Witchcraft: Return of the Exorcist) **
** features Linda Blair & David Hasselhoff!
Don't do it! (It's very slow and just marginally campy fun)
Old 10-20-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And the winner of trivia question #2 is...

asianxcore

Congratulations! You're now the proud owner of The Evil / Twice Dead double-feature DVD. I'll PM you with more details.

This one had quite a few more submissions. Yep.

Old 10-20-10, 08:02 PM

Congrats asianxcore, good score!
Old 10-20-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damnit! i never win anything.
Old 10-20-10, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations, asianxcore!!!
Old 10-20-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the win Asianxcore, sweet prize.

For the record I think In The Mouth of Madness is good stuff.

Also there are a lot of "Return of" and "Revenge of" titles that slipped my mind... many in my collection. So thanks all for that.

As for now I've got Puppetmaster on as a refresher... My friend lent me the boxset since there are a few I've never seen and he knows I do this challenge. Honestly don't know if I'll make it through more than 3 or 4 this month and I've already watched the newest one haha.
Old 10-20-10, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Don't do it! (It's very slow and just marginally campy fun)
I was going to say its not that bad... but then I realized I was thinking of FACELESS... another title media blasters released in one of those triple features boxes I got WITCHERY in.

Bottom line is Faceless is a cool movie worth watching... Withchery is eh
Old 10-20-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Thanks to all for the Revenge/Return suggestions.

_ _ _

Just finished House 2. That may be the stupidist film I have seen in awhile. It's like the writers were trying to out-dumb one another.
Old 10-20-10, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Just finished watching Igor on The Movie Channel. It's an animated movie with a different take on the Frankenstein story, where a society of evil scientists and their Igors have a caste system and are committed to evil-doing. This is the story of a particular Igor with ambitions to become an evil scientist, and he's created his own monster to enter in the annual Evil Science Fair to win acclaim. It's fun, and while it's predictable (being family-friendly and all, I expected it to be), the cast is great--especially Steve Buscemi as an immortal rabbit with a death wish.
Old 10-20-10, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
BTW, tomorrow night on the Bio channel is Nightmare on Elm Street:The Inside Story (Part 1) Anyone seen or know of this? It's listed as a 2010 production (Made around the same time as Never Sleep Again?)
Holy sheit! It actually WAS Never Sleep Again! (But with bleeped words & blurred nudity/gore) I missed the first half hour of it, but arrived in time for the Freddy's Revenge discussion (Which is what I was most hyped for to see/hear) Part 2 of the doc concludes tomorrow. And yeah, It's as great as everyone says.
Old 10-20-10, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Holy sheit! It actually WAS Never Sleep Again! (But with bleeped words & blurred nudity/gore) I missed the first half hour of it, but arrived in time for the Freddy's Revenge discussion (Which is what I was most hyped for to see/hear) Part 2 of the doc concludes tomorrow. And yeah, It's as great as everyone says.
Damn, I would have loved to see this for free. Its a bummer I missed all mention of it on TV
Old 10-20-10, 11:51 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's awesome it was on TV! The people who put it together obviously spent a lot of time on it, it being 4 hours and all. I've got mine sitting on my coffee table ready to be watched, the packaging is top notch (gloss slip cover and poster included) - can't wait to check it out, after the Nightmare on Elm Street marathon.

Speaking of marathon, I think I'm going to marathon all the Halloween's tomorrow, except for Halloween 1 which I've watched on Halloween every year since my youth - and of course I won't be watching Halloween Resurrection.
Old 10-21-10, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bse
Speaking of marathon, I think I'm going to marathon all the Halloween's tomorrow, except for Halloween 1 which I've watched on Halloween every year since my youth - and of course I won't be watching Halloween Resurrection.
I love seeing that other people carry movie traditions for this time of year over with them annually. I watch Halloween each Oct 31 since I was 8 or 9... going on 15 years now. I watch Halloween 3 about 2 weeks before the holiday each year, going on probably 5 years now. It seems some movies stick for the month of October a few years at a time, while others come and go.

Anyone else have traditions that stick each October as far as movie viewing goes?
Old 10-21-10, 01:29 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Although it only started last year, I can see watching Trick R Treat every Halloween becoming a tradition also.
Old 10-21-10, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bse
Although it only started last year, I can see watching Trick R Treat every Halloween becoming a tradition also.
I'm making sure that this year it officially becomes a tradition too.
Old 10-21-10, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Just finished a double feature of Jeepers Creepers II and Blood Tide. Thoughts on each, fresh from my list thread post:

Jeepers Creepers II
Despite owning this on DVD for years, neither my wife nor I had gotten around to viewing it until tonight. It picks up four days after the first film, with a high school basketball team passing through The Creeper's kill zone on the final day of his alloted 23 day eating period. The effects are still impressive, but the film suffers from over-exposure of The Creeper and the lack of compelling story amongst his potential victims. I likened it to The Lost World, which lacked the charisma of Jurassic Park and tried to get by entirely on dinosaurs running amok.

Blood Tide
An ancient creature once placated by the sacrifice of Greek virgins has been dormant for centuries until Darth Vader goes and unwittingly releases it to prey on the locals. The beast effects are terribly dated (the film is from 1981), and the story is average at best. Still, the cast gives it what they've got and that's what keeps it from being a colossal waste of 82 minutes.
Old 10-21-10, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Programming my DVR, I noticed TCM has a nice lineup this Friday. First a Hammer quadruple feature:

X the Unknown
Five Million Miles to Earth (aka Quatermass and the Pit)
These are the Damned
The Stranglers of Bombay

Then right after, on TCM Underground, a couple of creature features:

The Boogens
The Night of the Lepus

Only one I haven't seen is "Stranglers of Bombay", though it's been ages since I've seen "The Boogens". And I'm crossing my fingers that Lepus will be in HD - high definition killer bunnies!!!

The best movie of the night is Quatermass and the Pit. If anyone hasn't seen it, I can't recommend it highly enough. I suppose some of the effects haven't aged well (especially the ending). But like other classic sci-fi, there are great ideas here that still have power.
Old 10-21-10, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well a combination of over drinking and starting my 3rd movie of the day at 3:15 = tomorrow being unproductive and miserable. hooray that the job search continues hungover.
Old 10-21-10, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
Programming my DVR, I noticed TCM has a nice lineup this Friday. First a Hammer quadruple feature:

X the Unknown
Five Million Miles to Earth (aka Quatermass and the Pit)
These are the Damned
The Stranglers of Bombay

Then right after, on TCM Underground, a couple of creature features:

The Boogens
The Night of the Lepus

Only one I haven't seen is "Stranglers of Bombay", though it's been ages since I've seen "The Boogens". And I'm crossing my fingers that Lepus will be in HD - high definition killer bunnies!!!

The best movie of the night is Quatermass and the Pit. If anyone hasn't seen it, I can't recommend it highly enough. I suppose some of the effects haven't aged well (especially the ending). But like other classic sci-fi, there are great ideas here that still have power.
Any idea off hand what time Quartermass is? Then The Boogens?

I'd look but I'm in the middle of watching something

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.