Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3
For tonight

It is hard to imagine the history of horror movies without thinking of

Halloween. It’s even harder to*celebrate the holiday without catching the John Carpenter movie at least once on the many television channels that it gets played on.* Is there anything that can be said or written about the film that redefined horror and helped usher in the slasher genre?* Well the TV channel BIO (Biography) is taking a stab at revealing some juicy new info.* Their new documentary
Sounds good! Thanks!
Old 10-25-10, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Brainstormed for a few minutes on what I could do for an animated movie... and it came to me that 4 episodes of the classic Scooby-Doo would do the trick
Old 10-25-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^Someone posted a list of animation titles a few days ago. I'm planning to use "The Curse of the Were-rabbit". If the rules for horror animation are the same as the animation challenge you should be able to use almost any title in which the "monster" is CGI as long as it's on screen more than a brief appearance.
Old 10-25-10, 06:40 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Watched the Lady in White, what a great film. A Wonder Years meets the Sixth Sense.
Old 10-25-10, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I'm trying hard to finish out the checklist in the next 2 days so the last few can be to reach 100 with some old favorites and stuff I really want to watch. I have no idea what to do for the "animated" category though.
This is the first year that I've participated where I haven't done the checklist. I feel slightly guilty about it, but I've just been so poorly organized this year.

Since I never reported back about those job interviews I had a while back, I figure I should let everyone know that I did get one of those jobs. Unfortunately, I'm not too excited about it. After I left newspapers, I swore I would never work in another news room; now I'm going to be running a local TV news station's website. But it's a job, and I need one right now. So, I guess it's a good thing. I actually was offered the job just a day after I interviewed. When she asked me when I could start, I told her to give me 2 weeks, which conveniently places my start date on Nov. 1. No one is going to mess with my challenge.
Old 10-25-10, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Another animation suggestion: Igor, which aired on The Movie Channel a week ago. It's a fun riff on the Frankenstein mythology.

Anyway, I just finished Bats (1999) with Dina Meyer and Lou Diamond Philips. Predictable and pretty simple, but I laughed at several of the jokes and thought there were a few scenes of people being swarmed by bats that were very effective. Bonus: the local theater is screening Nosferatu.
Old 10-25-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Animated film recommendation? Watch Mad Monster Party? as soon as possible. I've been watching a few animated films with my daughter and this one is a standout. Curse of the Were-rabbit has some nice homages in it but pails in comparison. I think Mad Monster Party should be a challenge staple for everyone.
Old 10-25-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Another animation suggestion: Igor, which aired on The Movie Channel a week ago. It's a fun riff on the Frankenstein mythology.
I would also recommend this. I saw it in theaters when it dropped and it's so much better than I had thought it could be.

The dead bunny that Steve Buscemi voices is awesome.
Old 10-25-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I would also recommend this. I saw it in theaters when it dropped and it's so much better than I had thought it could be.

The dead bunny that Steve Buscemi voices is awesome.
I know! I kept saying to my wife throughout the movie that was one of the most perfect instances of casting I've seen/heard in a long time. Buscemi had me laughing at just about everything he said.
Old 10-25-10, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Brainstormed for a few minutes on what I could do for an animated movie... and it came to me that 4 episodes of the classic Scooby-Doo would do the trick
Not sure if anyone's mentioned the animated Resident Evil movie, but I plan to make that my checklist film. AllMovie lists it as horror.

And tomorrow's 31 Films film, The Devil's Backbone, syncs with the day's theme, even though it doesn't show in the 31 Films list (but it does show in the theme list).

It's going to be hard to watch that and not double it with Pan's Labyrinth. Sure wished that was classified as horror.
Old 10-25-10, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chad
Somebody make this song from Monster Dog get out of my head!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/baeogHddsK8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/baeogHddsK8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Glad I'm not the only one who sat through that cinematic turd this year! Those opening credits are actually the highlight, it's all downhill from there.
Old 10-25-10, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
The Devil Rides Out or Race with the Devil would work.
I would say City Of The Dead as well. Great film.
Old 10-25-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just finished Opera, my first ever giallo. It's about an opera understudy who is forced to watch as members of her production company are killed one by one. At times it feels like a B-movie; at other times it reminded me of Hot Fuzz (partly because the actor playing the director looks like Simon Pegg). It's an Italian production, but the version I streamed from Netflix was dubbed in English. Very enjoyable for a slasher film.
Old 10-26-10, 12:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw Halloween II was on AMC tonight and I remember the original 1980's tv version airing years ago on the channel. So I was hoping they'd air it again since I haven't seen that version in forever. It was one of the first versions of the film I had seen mainly with the alternate ending and a couple deleted scenes standing out the most as a kid. Unfortunately it appears they're using the regular theatrical cut edited for tv like all the other channels today, so I didn't bother watching it.

I then saw Night of the Creeps was on Fearnet.com this week and I still haven't gotten around to picking up the dvd, so I decided to watch it. I haven't seen this movie in years, and it still holds up as a hell of a great movie that's a lot of fun and mixes various genres into one. The first time I saw this was on tv as a kid and naturally it was the extended tv version with the original ending intact. So it was jarring years later to see the theatrical version with the different jump scare ending. But i saw the theatrical version enough back then that I got used to the jump scare ending as much as I hated it the first time I saw that ending. The version of Fearnet is the theatrical version in widescreen just so you know.
Old 10-26-10, 12:35 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 679 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Somebody make this song from Monster Dog get out of my head!
Did you listen to my Baby Shredder youtube link? That song has been stuck in my head for 3 days now.
Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Animated film recommendation? Watch Mad Monster Party? as soon as possible. I've been watching a few animated films with my daughter and this one is a standout. Curse of the Were-rabbit has some nice homages in it but pails in comparison. I think Mad Monster Party should be a challenge staple for everyone.
I really love Mad Monster Party?, the film and the fact that it hits about 20 checklist items.
Old 10-26-10, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished Opera, my first ever giallo. It's about an opera understudy who is forced to watch as members of her production company are killed one by one. At times it feels like a B-movie; at other times it reminded me of Hot Fuzz (partly because the actor playing the director looks like Simon Pegg). It's an Italian production, but the version I streamed from Netflix was dubbed in English. Very enjoyable for a slasher film.
Glad you liked it! Probably my favorite Argento film.

I know I think SethDLH (?) maybe mentioned it earlier in the thread, but is anyone else just watching things they like the rest of the week?

I've run into some stinkers 70+ films down in this challenge and I wanted to watch a lot of films/series I enjoy with 6 days left in the challenge.
Old 10-26-10, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know I think SethDLH (?) maybe mentioned it earlier in the thread, but is anyone else just watching things they like the rest of the week?
So far, out of the 47 movies I've watched, only a few haven't been first time viewings and I'm trying to stick to that. I couldn't resist tuning into Zombieland when it came on Starz earlier in the month, and I absolutely had to go see Ghostbusters on the big screen Saturday night, but other than that it's mostly been going through the Unwatched Pile or streaming stuff from Netflix to meet checklist criteria. That said, I know at some point I'm going to re-watch Shaun of the Dead. It's a given.

Speaking of the checklist, i just watched La Manoir du Diable (House of the Devil) on YouTube. It's a 3 minute short filmed in 1896 that many regard to be the first ever horror film. It's going in my Short Films list, but I'm also counting it as my 1890s selection unless there's an objection. Incidentally, the narrative is weak, but the ideas and visual effects--despite being primitive--are clever and engaging.
Old 10-26-10, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I really like Opera as well. This is one of those films that I have a really hard time getting past the dubbing, though. Yes, I get why they do it. I understand that was the practice. My issue for this film is the fact that they got an American actor (William McNamara) and then dubbed him with another guy. Obviously he knew how to speak English, but I guess he maybe sounded too young at that time. It's just so jarring hearing someone whose voice you know say something and have it sound nothing like you're used to. It's tough for me not to think about it when I watch Opera.
Old 10-26-10, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just finished a trio of short films:

Boo - A 10-minute mash-up of footage from The Cat Creeps, Nosferatu and Frankenstein played for laughs, produced by Universal in 1932. It's especially interesting that they elected to use the Nosferatu material (in which Count Orlock is actually called "Dracula") given that they had their own Dracula film from which they could have used footage. A nice addendum to the Frankenstein Legacy Collection box.

Frankenweenie - Uncut Version - Tim Burton's 1984 short film about a young boy named Victor Frankenstein who resurrects his dog Sparky and incites the fearful wrath of his neighbors. The universal appeal of the story about a boy and his dog are the heart of this take on Frankenstein and give it some emotional depth.

Vincent - A six minute short about a boy named Vincent who is obsessed with macabre icons Vincent Price (who narrates the poem) and Edgar Allan Poe. Sort of a morose Shel Silverstein project.

Last edited by Travis McClain; 10-26-10 at 02:33 AM.
Old 10-26-10, 02:27 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm pretty much sticking with first time viewings except in cases when I'm watching something with other people. However, I've seen some awesome stuff that I had never gotten around to before, so I'm still at full steam.

Also, I just saw Sleepaway Camp II. I loved the first one and was thrilled to enjoy this one as well. Looking forward to seeing the next two soon! These movies don't get enough love...
Old 10-26-10, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cwileyy
Also, I just saw Sleepaway Camp II. I loved the first one and was thrilled to enjoy this one as well. Looking forward to seeing the next two soon! These movies don't get enough love...
The sequels are too much fun. Love the original.

After watching so many films I've realized the following:

I officially hate the Mirror jump-scare

Also:

Costas Mandylor reminds me of a chubby James Remar
Old 10-26-10, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Just finished a trio of short films:

Vincent - A six minute short about a boy named Vincent who is obsessed with macabre icons Vincent Price (who narrates the poem) and Edgar Allan Poe. Sort of a morose Shel Silverstein project.
This one is one of my favorites by Burton. The fact that he got Price when such a young filmmaker is pretty fantastic.
Old 10-26-10, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Fans of MST should check out The Beach Girls and the Monster over at archive.org. It is pretty damn cheesy and you can just picture the commentary. Think Wild World of Batwoman meets Horror of Party Beach.
Old 10-26-10, 08:39 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Me, me, me! I hit 100 (celebrating with The Exorcist); most of those up to then were first-time views, and quite a few of those were pretty bad. I think I'll revisit my favorites for the rest of the week, add a few TCM selections, and watch a MST3K every night.
Old 10-26-10, 08:42 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Wow... I watched absolutely no challenge content yesterday.

Originally Posted by Shack
I hit 100 (celebrating with The Exorcist); most of those up to then were first-time views, and quite a few of those were pretty bad.
Congrats!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.