Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-10, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by bse
the Reds game tonight should count as a wild card, dreadful.
I'm thisclose to putting it on my list as a Wild Card entry, actually. In fact, thinking about doing that is the closest to a pleasant moment I've had since 5:00.
Old 10-06-10, 09:01 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I can't believe I missed the InstantWatcher link to Netflix horror movies in the original post - just bookmarked that one.

LOVE my Roku player and using the guide will help me no end.
Old 10-06-10, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
I can't believe I missed the InstantWatcher link to Netflix horror movies in the original post - just bookmarked that one.

LOVE my Roku player and using the guide will help me no end.
I was schooled about that link as well, and the fact that those Netflix instant watches actually expire.

I also love my Roku, and when I loaded the Archive.org channel onto it, wow, how cool!
Old 10-06-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Tonight's Agenda:

Old 10-06-10, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Tonight's Agenda:
Old 10-06-10, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Capping off my Night of Satan with House of the Devil. Seems to have got enough praise in this thread to give it a look.

Oh, and Darth, all the power to you, sir. That film was a tough row to hoe last year.
Old 10-06-10, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would Not Quite Hollywood count for a documentary? I'm not that familiar with the movies that it covers. I know they're exploitation flicks, but didn't know if any of them were considered horror?
Old 10-06-10, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by cwileyy
What are people's thoughts on Phantasm?

I was really disappointed by this one. Some people were telling me about things in the movie that scared the crap out of them, but I found it boring, and laughable more than scary. Am I missing something here?
Me and my wife this challenge:

12.)
Phantasm (1977) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Obviously a classic. Every time I watch it I still get that feeling like I am a kid discovering it for the first time.
(5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Very Mysterious". "I just wondering where is that come from, the ball". "Scared, can't go to bed"(<-In Japanese) "Unrealistic, crazy movie".
(4.5 out of 5)
Anyone have a better Hagsplotation list? I can't find one on the wiki list that I either have or want to watch.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-06-10 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-06-10, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
anybody want to recommend some good horror commentary tracks? i think i've hit my first bump in the road...and i haven't even reached 20 yet.
Any Cronenberg, any Carpenter (especially The Thing with Kurt Russell), The Shining, Alien, Aliens, Silence of the Lambs, The Frighteners, The Devil's Backbone, Stir of Echoes, Gremlins Crew Commentary. Both commentaries on Videodrome are great (Cronenberg and Woods/Harry). I am in the middle of The Picture of Dorian Gray I am about half way through right now and is delightful with a film historian and actress Angela Lansbury. If you are a fan of the original Dawn of the Dead, all 3 commentaries are interesting in their own way. I prefer the first and second ones more than the actor commentary on the 3rd disc.

I gave the Bruce Campbell solo commentary on The Evil Dead a 10/10 and the commentary on Evil Dead II a 9/10.

Also check out http://www.ratethatcommentary.com/ if you're on the fence.
Old 10-06-10, 11:01 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

just did a double feature of Basket Case and It's Alive....I've got It's Alive 2 and 3, which I have never seen before, that I plan on watching tomorrow, I've also never seen Basket Case 2, I just ordered it from Amazon, can't wait to check it out.

Last edited by bse; 10-07-10 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-07-10, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
anybody want to recommend some good horror commentary tracks?
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) commentary by Richard O'Brien & Patricia Quinn
Old 10-07-10, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Just finished up The Burning (1981)
Minus the first 15 minutes, I thought the film was extremely dull. Which is a real feat when you have Boobs, decent kills and Savini FX work.

It's one of my all time favorite slashers! I thought the pacing was perfect because the atmosphere was just effective and creepy. It works in a low key way for the most part and won me over. The editing and score are also top notch and really make the film far better than many others from the time period.

If the atmosphere and characters didn't win me over, then I would have found the film boring with how slow it is in terms of long stretches between killings and such. But it works in a 'less is more' manner and delivers lots of tension, suspense, shocks, unease, which makes it all the more effective once a killing does occur than if it were a nonstop slash fest.

The film gets a big and **** out of **** from me!
Old 10-07-10, 06:32 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I was schooled about that link as well, and the fact that those Netflix instant watches actually expire.

I also love my Roku, and when I loaded the Archive.org channel onto it, wow, how cool!
Still getting used to the Roku player, but how do you load the Archive.org channel onto it?
Old 10-07-10, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
If the atmosphere and characters didn't win me over, then I would have found the film boring with how slow it is in terms of long stretches between killings and such.
I'd say that it has the most unlikable collection of characters in any slasher film, which makes the raft sequence all the more satisfying!
Old 10-07-10, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
Still getting used to the Roku player, but how do you load the Archive.org channel onto it?
Go to the "Roku Users" banner on the first page of this thread. There's a list of channels with a code. Copy that code for the channel you want, then click on the "Here" link below that list to add the channel. When you go to the link to add the channel, it explains to refresh your Roku channel listing by going "Home" and then back to the channels. It says it takes about 24 hours, but mine took maybe 2 minutes to be added.

It really is pretty easy.
Old 10-07-10, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hear you guys like NIGHT OF THE CREEPS (1986)...
Old 10-07-10, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Last night/early this morning, we streamed The Evil Dead which I'd never seen and my wife had largely forgotten. Good God, was that a young Bruce Campbell! The effects are delightfully dated (though the make-up was still pretty convincing). I liked it, but thought it would have more humor than it does. Lost track of some of the characters's whereabouts at times, but that was probably because I had to pause the movie three different times on account of my stupid guts. In a straight-through viewing, I don't know that I'd have paid as much attention.
Old 10-07-10, 09:54 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I hear you guys like NIGHT OF THE CREEPS (1986)...
Doesn't everyone?

Will have to pull that one out again this year.
Old 10-07-10, 10:17 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Giles
question, does anyone know if the blaxploitation film Sugar Hill is somewhere online - I'm been dying to see this, but I know it's most definately NOT on DVD, or VHS (I think).
Sugar Hill actually is on DVD. It was put out by a semi-bootleg company called Blax Films. It's out of print, but you can still get it on Amazon from a seller. Be warned, the transfer looks like VHS quality.
Old 10-07-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I enjoyed Octaman more than I though I would yesterday. Piranha (2010) was mindless fun (but plot swiss cheese). The Creature from the Black Lagoon is one of my all time favorites. Plus films there are some good films based on the H.P. Lovercraft Cthulhu mythos (don't wait to see Dagon)...

...so I'm thinking diabolical (or out of control) fish is a quirky atmospheric but under-utilized subgenre that (if done right) includes some excellent films. Can anyone add any quality films to the evil fish list below?

Spoiler:

Barracuda | Bog | Call of Cthulhu | Creature From the Black Lagoon | The Creature Walks Among Us | Crocodile | Crocodile 2 | Cthulhu | Dagon | Deep Blue Sea | Devilfish | Frankenfish | The Host | Humanoids From the Deep | It Came From Beneath the Sea | Killer Fish | Lake Placid | Lake Placid 2 | Lake Placid 3 | Lords of the Deep | Jaws | Jaws 2 | Jaws 3D | Jaws: The Revenge | Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus | Necronomicon: Book of the Dead | Octaman | Open Water | Open Water 2 | Orca | Piranha (1978) | Piranha 2: The Spawning | Piranha (2010) | Primeval | Raging Sharks | Red Water | Revenge of the Creature | Rogue | Shark Hunter | She-Creature | Tentacles | Zaat!

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-07-10 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-07-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Anyone have a better Hagsplotation list? I can't find one on the wiki list that I either have or want to watch.
You should watch What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? and it's an instant stream on Netflix.
Old 10-07-10, 10:27 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by bse
just did a double feature of Basket Case and It's Alive....I've got It's Alive 2 and 3, which I have never seen before, that I plan on watching tomorrow, I've also never seen Basket Case 2, I just ordered it from Amazon, can't wait to check it out.
The Basket Case sequeals are awesome! Get 2 and 3 if you can, and watch them back to back. They are hilarious! I watched the entire trilogy last year for the first time. I have yet to see a Frank Hennenlotter movie I don't like. Check out Brain Damage and Frankenhooker if you haven't seen them, too.
Old 10-07-10, 10:40 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rabidgoatboy
The Basket Case sequeals are awesome! Get 2 and 3 if you can, and watch them back to back. They are hilarious! I watched the entire trilogy last year for the first time. I have yet to see a Frank Hennenlotter movie I don't like. Check out Brain Damage and Frankenhooker if you haven't seen them, too.
Yeah, I love Brain Damage, Frankenhooker, and Bad Biology - Bad Biology comes out on blu-ray November 5th, which I'm very excited about.
Old 10-07-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Doesn't everyone?

Will have to pull that one out again this year.
I do. Now. Until yesterday I'd never heard of it.
Old 10-07-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Does Jaws count for taking place on or under the sea category? A lot of the drama takes place on land, but the pursuit and fight is out at sea.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.