DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/580323-100-movies-31-days-6th-annual-october-horror-movie-challenge-oct-1-31-pt-2-a.html)

Travis McClain 10-07-10 11:43 AM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by exharrison (Post 10416730)
Does Jaws count for taking place on or under the sea category? A lot of the drama takes place on land, but the pursuit and fight is out at sea.

Jaws is to the "on or under the sea" category what Frankenstein is to the "Frankenstein" category.

Hell, I counted The Dark (2005) for that category even though the water is actually right there on the coast line. I figured key portions of the film rely on the characters and items being in the water, so that's good enough.

SterlingBen 10-07-10 11:45 AM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by chuckd21 (Post 10416616)
I do. Now. Until yesterday I'd never heard of it.

Totally understandable, until this current release it had not been available for quite sometime. This is one of those titles I bought on VHS at a SciFi-Con (it was mastered off of the laserdisc).

Was lucky enough to find the DVD on clearance for $3 recently to replace my tape!

Dick Laurent 10-07-10 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10416479)
Doesn't everyone?

Will have to pull that one out again this year.

Friday, October 15th might be a good day: Night of the Creeps 31 Films selection. :)

Chad 10-07-10 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop (Post 10415827)
Would Not Quite Hollywood count for a documentary? I'm not that familiar with the movies that it covers. I know they're exploitation flicks, but didn't know if any of them were considered horror?

Definitely. Horror comprises roughly 1/3 of the doc. It's divided into 3 sections: sex films, horror and action ...in that order.

Travis McClain 10-07-10 12:57 PM

Realized earlier I'd failed to post any reviews in my list thread post, so I've done the next best thing: I've gone through and copied and pasted my remarks from the discussion thread and my blog review of The Wolf Man - The Legacy Collection DVD release. Apparently, I watched a few movies without saying anything. Thoughts are forthcoming; it's not been a pleasant day to have Crohn's so far and makes concentrating rather challenging.

In other news, I see there's a slasher movie premiering on MTV tonight at 11:00 called Savage County. I only know this because the soundtrack features an up-and-coming group called Those Darlins and they tweeted that their song "Wild One" is in the movie. If nothing else, it'll ensure that I check off the "2010" category...so long as today's baseball games are finished by then.

Trevor 10-07-10 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by chuckd21 (Post 10416616)
I do. Now. Until yesterday I'd never heard of it.

I never saw it until last year, but had heard so much praise for it over the years that I assumed I was the last one to see it.

Originally Posted by MinLShaw (Post 10416737)
Jaws is to the "on or under the sea" category what Frankenstein is to the "Frankenstein" category. rotfl

True maybe, but I feel guilty counting it and always watch something else to be safe. Same with the space category and films that take place on planets and not actually "space".

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent (Post 10416859)
Friday, October 15th might be a good day: Night of the Creeps 31 Films selection. :)

Doh! Thanks for the reminder, I'm only looking at that list day by day so far.

Originally Posted by MinLShaw (Post 10416927)
In other news, I see there's a slasher movie premiering on MTV tonight at 11:00 called Savage County. I only know this because the soundtrack features an up-and-coming group called Those Darlins and they tweeted that their song "Wild One" is in the movie. If nothing else, it'll ensure that I check off the "2010" category...so long as today's baseball games are finished by then.

Thanks, hopefully I remember this post before 11:00. Need to totally check out the TV schedules and set my DVR for the month actually.

Chad 10-07-10 01:25 PM

Just put up a couple more subset threads:

"Salvage" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 8

"Black Rainbow" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 9

I'll post some more tonight.
<BR>

Dick Laurent 10-07-10 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 10417012)

Received both via Netflix yesterday. They'll be first watches for me (as are a lot of the 31 Films this year).

brainee 10-07-10 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 10416543)
...so I'm thinking diabolical (or out of control) fish is a quirky atmospheric but under-utilized subgenre that (if done right) includes some excellent films. Can anyone add any quality films to the evil fish list below?

Spoiler:

Barracuda | Bog | Call of Cthulhu | Creature From the Black Lagoon | The Creature Walks Among Us | Crocodile | Crocodile 2 | Cthulhu | Dagon | Deep Blue Sea | Devilfish | Frankenfish | The Host | Humanoids From the Deep | Killer Fish | Lake Placid | Lake Placid 2 | Lake Placid 3 | Lords of the Deep | Jaws | Jaws 2 | Jaws 3D | Jaws: The Revenge | Necronomicon: Book of the Dead | Octaman | Open Water | Open Water 2 | Orca | Piranha (1978) | Piranha 2: The Spawning | Piranha (2010) | Primeval | Raging Sharks | Red Water | Revenge of the Creature | Rogue | Shark Hunter | Tentacles

Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus! Debbie Gibson ... Lorenzo Lamas ... Sci-Fi Channel Original ... what more needs to be said!!!

Zaat! How can you hate on a movie that starts with a 20-minute insane monologue, and where the monster plots out all his evil plans in crayon on a giant wheel?

If you're a stickler for quality, there are still good movies not listed. Ray Harryhausen's "It Came From Beneath the Sea". I thought the 2001 "She-Creature" was good - I thought it had a Lovecraftian vibe.

Undeadcow 10-07-10 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 10417012)

Caught Salvage last night, it was much better than I expected.

asianxcore 10-07-10 05:59 PM

Definitely want to check out Salvage. I keep hearing good things about it.

BobO'Link 10-07-10 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 10417108)
...I thought the 2001 "She-Creature" was good - I thought it had a Lovecraftian vibe.

That one suprised me! I felt it good enough to warrant seeking out some of the other "Creature Feature" remakes. Oddly enough, I've never seen the original, although I recently purchased a copy and plan to watch it one day this month.

Dick Laurent 10-07-10 06:18 PM

I was doing pretty well today, until I ran into the biggest speed bump of the last three challenges: Teenage Zombies, 1959. Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad. No redeeming value at all. Just bad.

clckworang 10-07-10 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian (Post 10414282)
Here's a question for all:

How do you a count a film date-wise:
a) As the time you begin the film (ie: 1130PM on the 5th)
or
b) As the time the film ends (ie: 1AM on the 6th)

I have been counting it as the date I start the film on.

Others might do it different or more strict, but this is what I do. Since we are allowed to watch movies past midnight on Halloween and count it for that day, I go with that throughout the month. For me, the "day" ends when I go to sleep (it's not like I pull true all-nighters). So, if I start to watch a movie at 1 a.m. Saturday, I would count it on Friday, assuming I stay awake for all of it, of course. I know that might seem odd, but we do it for Halloween night and I'm consistent with it throughout the month.

ViewAskewbian 10-07-10 06:58 PM

Thanks to everybody who suggested House of the Devil. Great flick!

Numes 10-07-10 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian (Post 10417684)

Just ordered it. Looking forward to watching it!

DVDMagic 10-07-10 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent (Post 10416251)
Go to the "Roku Users" banner on the first page of this thread. There's a list of channels with a code. Copy that code for the channel you want, then click on the "Here" link below that list to add the channel. When you go to the link to add the channel, it explains to refresh your Roku channel listing by going "Home" and then back to the channels. It says it takes about 24 hours, but mine took maybe 2 minutes to be added.

It really is pretty easy.

Thank, just added the ones on the front page and will check them out later - even more to watch :)

kthnxbai 10-07-10 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian (Post 10417684)

I second that! I read the posts about it and went right out and purchased it. I'm hoping for more movies with the same style of filming to be released in the future.

harpo787 10-07-10 07:57 PM

A couple of category questions:

What is Giallo - anyone? I know it means yellow.....
What is J horror - I'm pretty sure I know this one: any Japanese film (Ringu, Dead Water, Stacy, etc.)

Also, I didn't see it listed as such on allmovie.com but I thought Sweeney Todd would have qualified as horror (musical). Could (would) that count as a "wild card" entry?

Trevor 10-07-10 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by harpo787 (Post 10417805)

What is J horror - I'm pretty sure I know this one: any Japanese film (Ringu, Dead Water, Stacy, etc.)

Also, I didn't see it listed as such on allmovie.com but I thought Sweeney Todd would have qualified as horror (musical). Could (would) that count as a "wild card" entry?

Giallo

Yes, J Horror is Japanese horror, although I think we're lenient and allow other Eastern countries here as well.

And Sweeney Todd is horror, no need to use a wildcard.

Dick Laurent 10-07-10 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by harpo787 (Post 10417805)

Giallo is a European mystery/crime thriller, usually done with horror elements. See Dario Argento as a good starting point.

You are correct.

It is horror. IMDB is a good first choice, then head to Allmovie. IMDB lists it as horror.

EDIT: I guess Trevor posted while I was typing...........

ViewAskewbian 10-07-10 08:22 PM

Sometimes IMDB misses the mark. Scary Movie 4, for example, which I have on tap for tonight is ONLY listed as a comedy when certainly it's a HORROR-COMEDY.

harpo787 10-07-10 08:41 PM

Thank you Trevor, Dick, and 'Skewbian. Just making sure I didn't have to eat Jello while watching some movie...(c;

NOTE TO SELF: go retrieve Sweeney.......

EDIT: Thumbs up to 'Skewbian for the "Dead Snow" recommendation; enjoyed it. Too bad there's not more discussion in the thread about it.

Dick Laurent 10-07-10 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian (Post 10417870)
Sometimes IMDB misses the mark. Scary Movie 4, for example, which I have on tap for tonight is ONLY listed as a comedy when certainly it's a HORROR-COMEDY.

Yeah, it has misses. I still think it's a good starting point, though.

ViewAskewbian 10-07-10 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by harpo787 (Post 10417910)
Thank you Trevor, Dick, and 'Skewbian. Just making sure I didn't have to eat Jello while watching some movie...(c;

NOTE TO SELF: go retrieve Sweeney.......

EDIT: Thumbs up to 'Skewbian for the "Dead Snow" recommendation; enjoyed it. Too bad there's not more discussion in the thread about it.

No prob. I watched Sweeney last year and really enjoyed the music. I picked up the original cast album and found out Burton cut some stuff for the film. The other day I watched the original release of Todd on film which is basically a filming the stage production. I liked it more then the Burton version music wise as (almost) everything was left in. That one is worth a look too.