Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 10-13-10, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Thanks for the kind words. I think part of what brought those feelings on is that I'm currently going through my Fangoria collection and re-bagging/boarding each issue, a lot of which I had read while baby-sitting my six running projectors.

By the way, I found a book mark I left in one (#168, 1997) from those Regal Cinema days:

Spoiler:

Edit to add: I know the years don't match, not sure why I stuffed it in that issue.

Last edited by Dick Laurent; 10-14-10 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Spoilerd for size
Old 10-13-10, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Awesome yet sad story Dick. I've always thought it would be cool to open a classics theater. One that showed classic horror and exploitation films with original prints. I know how ridiculous that business model would look to any possible investor these days for reasons you've stated. Its all so automated, there is no direct handling of the film anymore. It is depressing that the glory days of cinema are mostly behind us except for the rare person/theater still keeping it alive.
Old 10-13-10, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
You wouldn't believe how awesome Friday the 13th VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan is when watched immediately after Jason Goes to Hell, practically fine art.
After watching Jason X again, that film looked Oscar-Worthy compared to the two before it. I realized what I liked about X but didn't like about Jason Goes To Hell, is the latter just threw all the mythos out the window and obviously gave us limited Jason Voorhees time.

At least with Jason X (even with it being thematically different), the Writers/Directors/Producers knew we as fans wanted more gore, boobs and Jason. Definitely delivered on all those points.
Old 10-13-10, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Awesome yet sad story Dick. I've always thought it would be cool to open a classics theater. One that showed classic horror and exploitation films with original prints. I know how ridiculous that business model would look to any possible investor these days for reasons you've stated. Its all so automated, there is no direct handling of the film anymore. It is depressing that the glory days of cinema are mostly behind us except for the rare person/theater still keeping it alive.
Thanks. When I was leaving that line of work, about the end of '97, Regal Cinemas figured out that paying someone to sit in a booth and watch the projectors running was a position that was soaking up money big time. So, by the time I was leaving, my "Assistant Manager" position absorbed the projectionist position. It makes business sense. But running 35mm projectors old-school way, splicing, dicing, and threading reels by hand was a real skill set. So the idea became, let it run itself, and fix it when it breaks. Why pay a pro to ensure flawless entertainment delivery? More money saved usually equals less care invested.

Originally Posted by asianxcore
At least with Jason X (even with it being thematically different), the Writers/Directors/Producers knew we as fans wanted more gore, boobs and Jason. Definitely delivered on all those points.
I loved the part when they put Jason in the holo-deck thing. That was a pure fan moment right there (and probably a Kane Hodder one as well).
Old 10-13-10, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Pardon the detour:

I just wanted to take a moment to share some thoughts I’ve been having lately (and I really don’t want to work on my OHMC list at the moment, seeing as I fell behind a couple days, so here’s my excuse not to…). Some of the films I’ve been revisiting (not necessarily watching) lately (The Craft; I Know What You Did Last Summer; Scream; Relic; Event Horizon; Thinner; and more titles of an even lower caliber), are all movies that I have a personal connection to.

During that time in horror movies I was the Head Projectionist/Assistant Manager for Regal Cinemas in Myrtle Beach, SC. The films I named above (plus other cool stuff like the SW re-releases/ID4) are ones that I personally spliced together reel by reel. I had such joy looking at the 35mm frames and speculating just what may be going on at that moment in the movie. The smell of the film, the feel of the platters, the clanking and heat of the projectors, and the soaking of oils that layered the air, was all a part of a hidden world that I was immersed in. And of course it was always a joy to bring my wife in at midnight to screen the prints for quality control, syncing, cues, etc, before the premier the following day. And there’s nothing like watching a movie when you have the WHOLE theatre to yourself (popcorn popper and all).

And now, though I reminisce fondly, I find it sad that with the advancement of technology, there’s no need for that troll in the top balcony of your theatre. Everything has become so automated, that (at least with Regal) there isn’t even a projectionist anymore, much less one to be in charge.

So this challenge has really hit me in a personal way, which I wasn’t expecting. This may not be the place to post my trip down memory lane, but it is horror related, and I just wanted to share a little bit and hopefully remind everyone that, as always, things just aren’t like they used to be. (or as the great Cusack once said: “You can never go home again.”)

Thanks for letting me go off-topic a bit.

Very thoughtful post! I was also a head projectionist at a movie theater in FL from summer 1994 until early summer of 2000, so I definitely relate to the experience of working in a booth building movies reel to reel and threading projectors. One of the most enjoyable jobs I've had and was suitable enough for me to pay the bills while going to college. I remember the first film I put together on my own was 'Pulp Fiction.' When John Travolta gets killed and then turns up alive and well later on in the film, I freaked out because I thought I'd put the reels together out of order. I've built and privately screened all of the movies you listed (and much more), so there is a significant personal connection to them for me, as well.

The theater chain I worked for was Muvico Theaters and soon after I left they began phasing out the head projectionist position, as well. That was one of the best jobs one could have if you love watching movies.
Old 10-13-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What are everyone's thoughts on PANDORUM? Horror or not? I've been meaning to check it out just don't know if it qualifies.
Old 10-13-10, 10:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

What are everyone's thoughts on PANDORUM? Horror or not? I've been meaning to check it out just don't know if it qualifies.
More sci-fi, but definitely horror as well. It's was ok, not nearly as good as I hoped.
Old 10-13-10, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
More sci-fi, but definitely horror as well. It's was ok, not nearly as good as I hoped.
The reviews I've heard have definitely tempered my expectations but I'm still pretty excited to check it out. I'll post my thoughts here (and on my list ha)
Old 10-13-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A few minutes into Pandorum and my first impression is how the way its filmed reminds me of a low budget DTV movie... alot.
Old 10-14-10, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I finished up Pandorum (which I wasn't a fan of much at all) and was about ready to turn in for the night and saw the Last House on the Left remake was about 2 minutes in so I decided to grab another beer and watch it for the first time. We'll see if I should have just went to sleep.
Old 10-14-10, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I finished up Pandorum (which I wasn't a fan of much at all) and was about ready to turn in for the night and saw the Last House on the Left remake was about 2 minutes in so I decided to grab another beer and watch it for the first time. We'll see if I should have just went to sleep.
Should have went to sleep.

I give the remake slight points for making the theater I saw it in, extremely disgusted/angry, but that's it.

Definitely not as good as the original, as the payoff is sort of meh.
Old 10-14-10, 01:36 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been watching crap from the Mill Creek 50 movie packs, but not the public domain stuff, the (generally) hour or so long pieces of junk from the packs that have newer films. One of them was 16 x 9 and I almost fell out of my chair. Some of the worst examples of horror I've seen; absolutely horrible. But, somehow they manage to have naked ladies in pretty much all of them.
Old 10-14-10, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Viewed the Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978 remake tonight for the first time in years. This is one creepy as hell film that's well done. Highly recommended. **** out of **** in my opinion.
Old 10-14-10, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Just rewatched one of my favorite cheeseball movies from the 80s - Ninja III: The Domination. If you haven't seen it, it comes with my highest recommendation. Imagine one part "Flashdance", one part "The Exorcist" ... but with ninjas! (come to think of it, which movies wouldn't get improved by adding ninjas to the mix?) Even though it sounds like a sequel, this is a stand-alone movie (star Sho Kosugi plays completely different ninja characters in the earlier movies). If that isn't enough to entice you, be aware that this movie features the talents of the director and star of "Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo".

This only got a VHS release a while ago, but it is available as "Video on Demand". And the entire movie can be found on youtube.
Old 10-14-10, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Should have went to sleep.

I give the remake slight points for making the theater I saw it in, extremely disgusted/angry, but that's it.

Definitely not as good as the original, as the payoff is sort of meh.
I concur. I didn't think it was bad per se but thats mainly because of how tame I thought it would be. It got away with a bit more than I thought it would be able too, but still didn't do a whole lot. The original is certainly a better film and grittier and nastier. The payoff is also better than the remake. The remake is okay for what it is.
Old 10-14-10, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good lord. I'm 1 film away from finish my Friday The 13th Marathon.

Freddy Vs. Jason
is such a steaming pile of shit. Really not sure when the film stopped being fun for me.

Some of the lines had me laughing so hard and none of them came from Robert Englund.

Like this gem...

One, two, Freddy's coming for you. Do you know why they sing that? Because that's when he comes for you.
Old 10-14-10, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tonight's double feature:

Old 10-14-10, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'd count it. Let us know if it's any good. Think I have it here somewhere. And it would satisfy the John Saxon check.
I watched War Wolves (2009) this morning. It is a horror film. There's no "scientific" explanation for the werewolves or anything, they just exist. It's only listed as Sci-Fi on IMDb because it was a Sci Fi Channel movie.

The film was about what you'd expect. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it, but if it's on TV or you have a copy lying around, you could certainly do worse. And if you like John Saxon, Tim Thomerson, and/or Adrienne Barbeau it's definitely worth a look.
Old 10-14-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Noir
Very thoughtful post! I was also a head projectionist at a movie theater in FL from summer 1994 until early summer of 2000, so I definitely relate to the experience of working in a booth building movies reel to reel and threading projectors. One of the most enjoyable jobs I've had and was suitable enough for me to pay the bills while going to college. I remember the first film I put together on my own was 'Pulp Fiction.' When John Travolta gets killed and then turns up alive and well later on in the film, I freaked out because I thought I'd put the reels together out of order. I've built and privately screened all of the movies you listed (and much more), so there is a significant personal connection to them for me, as well.

The theater chain I worked for was Muvico Theaters and soon after I left they began phasing out the head projectionist position, as well. That was one of the best jobs one could have if you love watching movies.
I responded to your post over here, just to keep this thread a little more on topic.

Last edited by Dick Laurent; 10-14-10 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Updated link
Old 10-14-10, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Last night I put in A Tale of Two Sisters and was excited about finishing up a couple of checklist items with it: original and remake, second language other than English and J-Horror. Then I realized that it was actually a Korean film and I already had a Korean film and that would make it K-Horror and not J-Horror. D'oh! Now I need to dig up a J-Horror film out of my collection or off of Netflix. Any Instant Watch suggestions?
Old 10-14-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by exharrison
Last night I put in A Tale of Two Sisters and was excited about finishing up a couple of checklist items with it: original and remake, second language other than English and J-Horror. Then I realized that it was actually a Korean film and I already had a Korean film and that would make it K-Horror and not J-Horror. D'oh! Now I need to dig up a J-Horror film out of my collection or off of Netflix. Any Instant Watch suggestions?
There's a couple of Takashi Miike films available and the original of Pulse.
Old 10-14-10, 10:20 AM

Besides a few problems here and there, and a twist that's way too obvious, I thought it was a pretty decent film.
Old 10-14-10, 10:23 AM

Good lord. I'm 1 film away from finish my Friday The 13th Marathon.

Freddy Vs. Jason
is such a steaming pile of shit. Really not sure when the film stopped being fun for me.[/B]
Freddy Vs. Jason hit all the right notes for me. I think they made it about the best that film could possibly be made.
Old 10-14-10, 10:29 AM

Watched Horrors of Malformed Men the other day. Wow, great film. Kind of fell apart during the last 10 minutes. Would have been damn near perfect if they had ditched a last minute character whose only purpose was to explain everything. Definitely one of the most odd and freakish films I've ever seen.
Old 10-14-10, 10:30 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Wow, just watched a film that really disturbed me, today's 31 Film Subset choice, The Children (2008).

Now, I'll admit that I am affected by emotion fairly easily. I pretty much never cry, but emotional scenes in films and even commercials make me "well up" often. Surprisingly, that hasn't happened for any of the films I've watched this month iirc, until this morning.

This one really hit me. I could feel the strong emotions as they were hitting the various characters. And the overall feeling of creepiness and dread as the main plot developed was palpable.

Can't really comment on the technical aspects of the film right now, as the emotions of it are still all I can feel. And I guess that could be argued as making the film incredibly successful and well done, at least in my individual experience.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.