Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 10-11-10, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

With all the talk of Rock and Roll Nightmare I just started it. Cover me, I'm going in!
Old 10-11-10, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Love that film. I know a LOT of people hate that ending, but it doesn't bother me since everything that comes before it is amazing.
Spoiler:
I never got where the truck was stashed. She didn't know where the house was and it was a long enough trip that she took a nap. I know she went outside after they started to go to sleep but she didn't know the area and it would've taken a long time to run out to wherever it was parked.
Old 10-11-10, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Spoiler:
I never got where the truck was stashed. She didn't know where the house was and it was a long enough trip that she took a nap. I know she went outside after they started to go to sleep but she didn't know the area and it would've taken a long time to run out to wherever it was parked.
Yup, the ending doesn't make sense at all. Pretty much take any spot in the entire film before the reveal and things don't match up.

My only take on the ending is:

Spoiler:
You can't even take the reveal as truth, since they are ramblings of a crazy person. This is how she saw things happening. Could be all lies for all we know.

Giannetto De Rossi's FX work in the film though are godlike.
Old 10-11-10, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
With all the talk of Rock and Roll Nightmare I just started it. Cover me, I'm going in!
Prepare to have your ass kicked by Jon-Mikl Thor and the Tritons!

I've had a similar looking movie in one of those 50-pack DVD sets - Night Train to Terror. I think I finally worked up the stones to give it a shot. According to imdb, Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare is like Citizen Kane by comparison. Wish me luck!
Old 10-11-10, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee
Prepare to have your ass kicked by Jon-Mikl Thor and the Tritons!

I've had a similar looking movie in one of those 50-pack DVD sets - Night Train to Terror. I think I finally worked up the stones to give it a shot. According to imdb, Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare is like Citizen Kane by comparison. Wish me luck!
You know, this may sound strange to say considering the bulk of my reviews thus far but this one ain't so bad...

perhaps it just makes me nostalgic for my teen years. I think I need to break out my Skid Row albums.
Old 10-11-10, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
What films did you watch?
Calvaire was what had the most queasy stuff.
Spoiler:
Fido and El Vampiro had the kid-slaughter (Granted, those were definetly brats who got offed in Fido, but it was still a surprise to see it happen. And a young boy in his early teens gets killed by the lead vampire in Vampiro. I'm surprised that this was an onscreen kill for a 50's film, but hey, it's Mexico)

And what did I choose to bail me out of my downer mood? None other than DEATH BED! I didn't get to make it around to this truly 1-of-a-kind for last year's challenge, but better late then never!

Originally Posted by brainee
I still haven't seen Rock/Nightmare yet, but I barely survived my viewing of "Dance With Me! Dance With M..." I mean, Night/Terror in one of the past challenges. That one almost single-handedly caused me to throw in the towel!

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 10-11-10 at 01:47 AM.
Old 10-11-10, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Watching Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy (2010) and believe the hype, the documentary is a lot of fun. I wasn't planning on staying up this late but there's a lot of good material in this film and it's pretty fast paced. At 4 hours the feature is epic but probably the most fun I've had this challenge so far.
Old 10-11-10, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I still haven't seen Rock/Nightmare yet, but I barely survived my viewing of "Dance With Me! Dance With M..." I mean, Night/Terror in one of the past challenges. That one almost single-handedly caused me to throw in the towel!
I just know I'm going to have nightmares tonight with "Dance with me! Dance with me!" playing over and over. Were we to believe these idiots were playing that one song nonstop for the entire night?!? If that's the case, I think Satan should get them. I can't think of anything more appropriate as a soundtrack for Hell than that song.
Old 10-11-10, 03:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found a copy of the New World vhs release of Demons yesterday, so I decided to pick it up and give this version of the film a chance. My first viewing of the film was the Anchorbay dvd release back when I first got a dvd player and it had just been released back in 1999. I wasn't impressed with the film and found it pretty boring actually.

However I learned that two different English dub mixes were created for the film, and many had said the dub/mix used for the U.S. release was superior to the mix found on the Anchorbay release.

So finally years later, I was able to see that version, and I wound up finding the film pretty entertaining much to my surprise. It's interesting what a different soundmix can do to enhance or detract from a film. The movie is all flash,no substance and the U.S. mix seems to work perfectly in not leaving much down time to ponder about all the plot holes and such. I recall the dvd mix seeming lifeless, quiet and just not captivating at all. Meanwhile I could get into the film with the mix used on the old vhs release. Also I had given the film a fair chance twice on dvd and was still less than impressed with the film and found it just boring. So it's funny how I had the opposite reaction when viewing the original U.S. mix of the film.

I also viewed for the first time Class of Nuke 'Em High part 2. I had only seen bits of the ending on tv as a kid when USA aired Troma flicks all the time among other films and recall finding it pretty hilarious. So I thought I'd give it a chance finally after all these years.

I never liked the original film which I had seen a couple times trying to give it a fair chance and found it extremely boring. So I will say the sequel is not boring at all and has an energetic atmosphere to it. However it's still not that good, and I think I would have found it far more hilarious as a kid than I do now. It's a very silly movie, which isn't a bad thing, but something was missing to make it work for me. So I can't give it a thumbs up at all, despite it not being horrible like most non-Lloyd Kaughman directed Troma films. It's probably a ** out of **** star flick.
It does score some points for the giant mutant squirrel that shows up near the ending, and the scientist lady with the huge beehive is pretty hot.
Old 10-11-10, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Sounds awesome but not avaliable on Netflix, what is the meaning of this?
It was retitled Aaah! Zombies!! and won't be released till the 19th of this month which is probably why Netflix doesn't have it yet.
Old 10-11-10, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tonight's suburban terror double feature:

Old 10-11-10, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I was pretty tired last night when I went to pop in the 2nd half of my Hammer double feature so I opted for something a little more brainless and put on Zombies Of Mass Destruction. What a POS. Thankfully I didn't force myself through something I know will be better when I was tired, I can now enjoy some more Hammer goodness today.
Old 10-11-10, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for all the posts about Rock N Roll Nightmare. I don't know if I've laughed so hard at a film then I have at the final 10 minutes of this film.

Winger Saves The World!

Review coming after Thanksgiving dinner.
Old 10-11-10, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
tonight's suburban terror double feature:

Yes and yes!
Old 10-11-10, 08:59 AM

Received 96 Likes on 36 Posts

Only a third of the way into the month, I finally got around to posting my list so far. Still need to make a banner of some sort.

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I've been trying to plan a mini short film marathon to equal up to 1 or 2 entries so any more recommendations are much appreciated!
I've done two short film mini-marathons so far -- the first one was mostly Méliès films (with a few other pre-1920 ones thrown in), but the second was more modern fare. I would recommend any of them. (Titles w/youtube links on my list.) I'm planning to do an all-animation one at some point this month too.

Last edited by alyxstarr; 10-11-10 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-11-10, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you folks have an hour of time to spare head on over to Archive and watch Attack of the Galatic Monsters: http://www.archive.org/de...fTheGalacticMonsters1983

It REALLY is about 7 different Japanese films cut and pasted into one really odd film.
Old 10-11-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by alyxstarr
Only a third of the way into the month, I finally got around to posting my list so far. Still need to make a banner of some sort.

I've done two short film mini-marathons so far -- the first one was mostly Méliès films (with a few other pre-1920 ones thrown in), but the second was more modern fare. I would recommend any of them. (Titles w/youtube links on my list.) I'm planning to do an all-animation one at some point this month too.
Nice, thanks! I did watch one Melies film already (Infernal Cauldron), which was my 2nd year in a row watching that one. It'll be cool to see some new ones.
Old 10-11-10, 09:59 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
edit- Also I have 1 wildcard left of my 3, anyone have any suggestions for a short to watch? It doesn't matter which era its from.
For anyone out there that avoids watching shorts, like I did for years, I suggest you change. I discovered them when I started attending the local Horror Film festivals, and the shorts are usually the best parts. And now they count! I have several DVD collections of shorts that I need to find.
Originally Posted by davidh777
Not even the distraction of attending NFL games, right, Trevor?
Hopefully I'll take advantage of that perk in November or December.
Originally Posted by takingchase
I just watched Wasting Away and it was one of the most original zombie flicks I've seen in a long time.
Spoiler:
It was really cool to see the zombies point of view where they think they are normal and the humans are the "infected" ones.
Sounds interesting. But you didn't need to spoilerize that did you?
Watching Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy (2010) and believe the hype, the documentary is a lot of fun. I wasn't planning on staying up this late but there's a lot of good material in this film and it's pretty fast paced. At 4 hours the feature is epic but probably the most fun I've had this challenge so far.
I'm really anxious to watch it, but still haven't seen all of the NoES films. Thought I've bought that set at least once, but can't find it.
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
If you folks have an hour of time to spare head on over to Archive and watch Attack of the Galatic Monsters: http://www.archive.org/de...fTheGalacticMonsters1983

It REALLY is about 7 different Japanese films cut and pasted into one really odd film.
Thanks, sounds awesome!
Old 10-11-10, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor

Sounds interesting. But you didn't need to spoilerize that did you?
!
I can't imagine I would need to spoilerize it, it's the whole premise of the movie and just about every description of it reads that way. Amazon's product description:

Spoiler:
Zombies. You know 'em, you love 'em. But what do they think of you? In this hilarious twist on the Classic Zombie Tale, we see the world through Zombie eyes when a barrel full of Toxic Goo transforms four friends in to the Walking Dead, and suddenly, it seems every one else has gone mad. In the most unique Zombie story in years, the Zombies embark on a bumbling quest to find the "Truth", completely unaware of their rotting undeadness. After all, Zombies are people too.

Honestly, I apologize if it should have been put in a spoiler but that's the whole plot of the movie.
Old 10-11-10, 10:28 AM

I'm really anxious to watch it [Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy], but still haven't seen all of the NoES films. Thought I've bought that set at least once, but can't find it.
Seriously? I thought familiarity with the NoES movies was a pre-requisite to joining the challenge.

If you haven't seen all the Nightmare on Elm Street films yet you might want to avoid the Never Sleep Again documentary. It contains a lot of spoilers from the franchise (which is part of the fun if you're familiar since it rapid fires through many of the movies).
Old 10-11-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For anyone out there that avoids watching shorts, like I did for years, I suggest you change. I discovered them when I started attending the local Horror Film festivals, and the shorts are usually the best parts. And now they count! I have several DVD collections of shorts that I need to find.
I'm so happy they count this year since we can add them up. I've compiled a list of them from a few users on here and over at Bloody Disgusting, so I'll definitely be viewing them today.

I just finished up Grace and while it was by means great, it was decent and worth a watch IMO
Old 10-11-10, 11:03 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by takingchase
I can't imagine I would need to spoilerize it, it's the whole premise of the movie and just about every description of it reads that way.
No, you're fine. It just sounded like something that could have been the surprise twist of the film, and I wanted to make sure we weren't ruining that for anyone.
Seriously? I thought familiarity with the NoES movies was a pre-requisite to joining the challenge.

If you haven't seen all the Nightmare on Elm Street films yet you might want to avoid the Never Sleep Again documentary. It contains a lot of spoilers from the franchise (which is part of the fun if you're familiar since it rapid fires through many of the movies).
Well, I think I'm fairly familiar the series. Seen the original many many times, seen one or two of the sequels, seen bits or clips of all the others, seen the re-make.

Weren't most of the sequels crappy? Do all of you really see EVERY sequel of EVERY franchise?

And even if everyone on the planet told me that it was fine to watch Never Sleep Again without seeing all of the films, that there were no spoilers, even that I was better off to watch the documentary first; I couldn't do it. All things must be watched in the proper order.
Old 10-11-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Watched Suspiria for the first time yesterday. In fact, it was my first Argento film, although I had been somewhat familiar with some of his style from the European Cut of Dawn of the Dead. I didn't have any preconcieved notions and didn't really know what to expect and I quite liked it. I had held off getting it for the longest time because I thought it was completely done in Italian and couldn't find a release with the Italian track and subtitles. I finally realized that it was dubbed, on purpose, in English anyways as the cast was from just about everywhere. Kind of like what they did with the Sergio Leone westerns.

It was quite creepy throughout most of the movie and I love that 70's look it had to it. The lighting and visual style of the movie was fantastic. The music was also quite out there, but in a good way. The combination of the two made for a unique movie viewing experience.

I thought I read somewhere that there was a remix done of the music. Can someone give me a little more information on that? I own the Blue Underground R1 DVD release, FYI.
Old 10-11-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Attempting to watch all 12 (if you count Freddy Vs. Jason) Friday The 13th films this week.

Finished 2 yesterday. 10 more to go!
Old 10-11-10, 12:00 PM

Weren't most of the sequels crappy? Do all of you really see EVERY sequel of EVERY franchise?
It's all in good fun but for me crappy sequels are part of the appeal to the Nightmare on Elm Street series. After a point you expect some cheesiness ("I am the wizard master", video game Freddy, latent gay tendencies, talk show host Freddy). You should consider brushing up on those lapsed NoES films because they weave an interesting mythos.

A tangent: I think it's only natural a franchise satire itself to remain relevant. With Halloween, Hellraiser, and Friday the 13th they kept upping the ante in silly but fun ways for a quick cashgrab (cyborg Jason [Jason X], Hellraiser in space [Hellraiser: Bloodlines], Halloween 6). Plus there's the Leprachaun and Scream series which surely exist only to lampoon monster/slasher films. For me horror movies can be effective either with menacing pulse pounding fright or dark humor.

Spoiler:

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.