Reload this Page >

The Office Season Six: Scene Missing

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-07-10, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

Picked up the sixth season of The Office today. I don't watch the shows as they air, preferring to wait for the DVD.

I always like the holiday themed episodes, so I was looking forward to the second episdoe on disc two, called "Koi Pond". The description on the case reads: The office puts on a Halloween haunted house for local children. Michael is mocked after falling into a koi pond. Pam and Andy are mistaken for a couple."

So I watch the episode but there is no subplot involving Halloween in it.

I look on line and find this on wikipedia:"When the episode aired again on August 12, 2010, the entire Halloween-related opening sequence was edited out."

I tried looking on-line but couldn't find any reason given for the removal. Anyone remember the episode and could speculate on why this was removed?

It's odd enough that it is still mentioned on the DVD case, but even the menu for that disc has a picture of what appears to be characters dressed up and in a haunted house.

And no, it is also not in the deleted scenes for that episode.
Old 09-07-10, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Office Season Six: Scene Missing

Michael hanged himself in front of a bunch of school children to make a point about suicide. Needless to say, some people were upset. It actually upsets me a little that they edited this out for the DVD release.
Old 09-07-10, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this true? What the fuck?! I know all it was was a cold open, but still. What a load of shit.
Old 09-07-10, 11:37 PM

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,090 Posts

I remember that scene being both funny and in poor taste. Censoring it, however, is in even worse taste.
Old 09-08-10, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow... not even as an "unrated episode" or deleted footage... might be a lost sale on principle for me...
Old 09-08-10, 12:37 AM

Is it on the Best Buy bonus disc? I think one of the features was "Best of Cold Opens (40 minutes)." I don't have the disc so I can't tell you for sure.
Old 09-08-10, 12:47 AM

Sadly, this isn't a unique situation for The Office. Remember Kevin's 'Staples Salad'? But at least that was intact on Amazon's on demand video, unlike this opening for 'Koi Pond.'
Old 09-08-10, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A little off topic, but what the hell is it with Universal and their fondness for crappy, experimental disc cases? The case that "The Office" Blu-ray came in is more like some sort of puzzle than a disc case. I actually had to sit down and really look it over just to figure out how to get the discs out. I wonder how many people are cracking discs with this damned thing?
Old 09-08-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

That was a hilarious scene. I understand editing it for future broadcasts - but to edit the dvd, and to not even have it as a deleted scene is plain bullshit.
Old 09-08-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lame.
Old 09-08-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The season three DVD set had something similar with "The Return." The cold open was different (that was kept as a deleted scene) but the scene with Jim asking Ryan to help prank Andy was gone, completely. The original version did show up on iTunes. I haven't followed the series much since that season but at the time I remember a bit of discussion about it, as it changed the dynamics of the Pam vs. Karen situation in that episode.
Old 09-08-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

That's garbage. If they edited a scene completely, it needs to be made known on the packaging.
Old 09-09-10, 08:17 AM

It wasn't even that offensive considering the whole television series is made up of 'offensive' material. Glad I'm not planning on buying this season. It's a shame because there were some other hilarious parts to that cold opening.
Old 09-09-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

This omission is bullshit! That was one of my favorite cold opens, with Michael dressed up as the "Dick in a Box" guy. Oscar dressed up like Sarah Palin no less. Is there no cold open for that episode on the DVD? Who/Where can I write to with my objections?

Last edited by Jack Straw; 04-30-11 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-09-10, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Scary Bookface !
Old 09-09-10, 11:24 PM

this episode needs to stay on the DL, I was "facebook" last year for halloween and noone called me on it.
Old 09-10-10, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I was having a hard time remembering the open until Jack posted photos. That intro was hilarious. Seems odd to remove it from the dvd release.
Old 09-10-10, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't even remember this episode at all. I guess I'll have to find some way to watch it intact. Thanks for the heads up, though, about the changes!
Old 09-10-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I was having a hard time remembering the open until Jack posted photos. That intro was hilarious. Seems odd to remove it from the dvd release.
Agreed. I usually dont remember episodes well enough to notice song and other changes liek this. To be honest, if I hadnt read the thread, I wouldnt have missed anything. Now that I know which particular scene is missing, I remember it being particularly funny, and am a little upset that it is missing.
Old 09-10-10, 02:54 PM

The scene can still be watched online

http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/video/...house/1170902/
Old 09-10-10, 03:18 PM

Thanks for the info. No sale for me. Tired of edited BS. Self censorship is almost worse. Did anyone even object to this scene? These studios are doing such a great job of savin me money these days.
Old 09-10-10, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm working on my review this afternoon, but this is absolutely correct. It also reveals an issue with the packaging in general. This is the listed description for "Koi Pond", directly on the foldout flap on the digipack:

The office puts on a Halloween haunted house for local children. Michael is mocked after falling into a koi pond during a sales visit. Pam and Andy are mistaken for a couple when they go on a cold sales call.
Those who watched the broadcast will remember that the only mentioning of Halloween in the whole episode was the cold open in the haunted house. Therefore, material described in the synopsis doesn't actually take place in the episode, since they cut the entire beginning. It begins in Jim's office with Michael talking about the garlic festival, with the title cards inserted between Jim's line, "That's what a teacher is, right?" and Michael talking to Jim about what name to call the guy at the location with the koi pond. I dug the "lazy haunted warehouse" setup and feel they should've at least included the scene in the supplements, but I can also see why they cut it for being inappropriate.

An extra kicker: There's a photograph of the cast in costume on the menu for the episode's disc (bottom left).

Last edited by gryffinmaster; 09-10-10 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-10-10, 04:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Very weird. I remember no controversy about that cold open at all.
Old 09-10-10, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

/\ Yeah, none at all at the time. As a matter of fact, I had forgotten all about the cold open until this thread. It was pretty harmless, in my opinion.
Old 09-11-10, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So odd. I've actually only seen all the episodes from the original broadcasts. I have most of the DVDs, but have never re-watched them.

What an incredible disappointment that ANYTHING was edited/censored from the original broadcasts. Completely unacceptable. I will have to do my research before re-watching the DVDs.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.