DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The Office Season Six: Scene Missing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/578975-office-season-six-scene-missing.html)

WMAangel 09-11-10 01:47 PM

Re: The Office Season Six: Scene Missing

Maybe they do not have the rights to release the scene on home video due to an objection by one of the rights holders of one of the other characters used in the scene? I mean, "The Fifth Element" is owned by Sony, "Shrek" by Dreamworks, and "Saw" by Lionsgate, while this is a Universal release....
Even though it is obviously done as parody/in a comedic fashion, there could be some unknown legal issue at work here....look at ROBOT CHICKEN, they had to cut a whole 3+ minute sketch where Beavis & Butt-head join the Teen Titans out of one of their 1st season DVD release.....

slop101 09-11-10 02:10 PM

^ I seriously doubt that - they're dressed up as those characters for Halloween, they're not actually playing those character like in that Robot Chicken skit.

WMAangel 09-11-10 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 10364922)
^ I seriously doubt that - they're dressed up as those characters for Halloween, they're not actually playing those character like in that Robot Chicken skit.

I never said they were "playing those characters"....however, simply appearing in a costume as a character that is copyrighted by a different company could run into possible issues with likeness rights and just exactly how they may be used.....it seems completely within at least the logical realm of possibility, considering how overzealous some corporations are to protect the use of their trademarked property without the appropriate licensing....

manicsounds 09-11-10 05:58 PM

But then they include the picture of it on the packaging.... not a rights issue.

Dr. Mantle 09-11-10 08:25 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...9009295&page=1

slop101 09-11-10 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle (Post 10365417)

They should go kill themselves!

DJLinus 09-11-10 09:38 PM

Yeah, this sucks. At least throw it in the deleted scenes section of the DVD.

Not that I think it'll show up there, but it'd be nice if they at least throw it on as an extra for the upcoming "Overtime" DVD:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

kstublen 09-12-10 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle (Post 10365417)

People are so ridiculous.

Double_Oh_7 09-12-10 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by WMAangel (Post 10364901)
Maybe they do not have the rights to release the scene on home video due to an objection by one of the rights holders of one of the other characters used in the scene? I mean, "The Fifth Element" is owned by Sony, "Shrek" by Dreamworks, and "Saw" by Lionsgate, while this is a Universal release....
Even though it is obviously done as parody/in a comedic fashion, there could be some unknown legal issue at work here....look at ROBOT CHICKEN, they had to cut a whole 3+ minute sketch where Beavis & Butt-head join the Teen Titans out of one of their 1st season DVD release.....

These days, all those DVD rights are worked out beforehand. Not an issue.

WMAangel 09-12-10 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 10365875)
These days, all those DVD rights are worked out beforehand.

Sorry, but that general statement is far from true....
If it was, then "Robot Chicken" would not have had to cut the sketch I mentioned, and "My Name Is Earl" would not have had music replacement....both of those shows were created during the DVD-era, and yet both had rights issued which prevented them from being released as originally aired....

My Other Self 09-12-10 04:54 PM

Thanks for pointing this out. You saved me some money. I don't support edited content like that. What a joke.

mallratcal 09-12-10 08:10 PM

I didn't know a sketch was cut from Robot Chicken, which one was it?

Mr. Salty 09-13-10 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by mallratcal (Post 10367387)
I didn't know a sketch was cut from Robot Chicken, which one was it?

From the post above by WMAangel: ROBOT CHICKEN, they had to cut a whole 3+ minute sketch where Beavis & Butt-head join the Teen Titans out of one of their 1st season DVD release.....

Boba Fett 09-13-10 02:51 AM

If it was just an issue with Michael hanging, THEN CUT THE SHOT OF HIM HANGING. They didn't need to excise the whole bit.

Boba Fett 09-13-10 02:58 AM

The scene still lives on Hulu and again, they could have cut to credits after Jim's sarcastic quip about Bookface. It would have been a little off, but no reason to destroy ~1min and 55secs of genuine comedy because of a 20sec gag that a bunch of crybabies got all in a huff about.

Jack Straw 09-13-10 08:42 PM

I still don't get cutting it out of a DVD release which someone has to affirmatively spend money and purchase it. It is not being shown on public commercial airwaves. At worst, they should have put a disclaimer warning on the packaging and/or episode prior to the beginning of the opening, while leaving it intact on the DVD. I've purchased S1-S5 w/out hesitation. I will not spend money on this set unless/until the season is offered in its entirety. It's also objectionable (as others have noted) that the packaging in order to generate hype and interest (and sales) as well as the disc menu, while not including it. Looks/sounds like false advertising to me.

Herron 09-15-10 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty (Post 10359603)
A little off topic, but what the hell is it with Universal and their fondness for crappy, experimental disc cases? The case that "The Office" Blu-ray came in is more like some sort of puzzle than a disc case. I actually had to sit down and really look it over just to figure out how to get the discs out. I wonder how many people are cracking discs with this damned thing?

I don't post in this forum often or more aptly at all, but I came to see if anyone had complained about how much a pain in the ass this case is! I was freaking out about breaking a disc not only when taking it out but putting it back! Messing some more with it now, I see that you're supposed to push down on the disc then lift up to get them out... it's still a pain in the ass.

And to find out a scene had been cut to top it all off... makes me super sad. Meh.

Groucho 09-15-10 01:01 PM

Along the same lines: I recently re-watched the Doctor Who episode from earlier this year that features Vincent van Gogh. This time around, I noticed that they actually displayed a "suicide hotline" phone # at the end.

manicsounds 09-15-10 07:20 PM

Imagine Futurama with the Suicide-Booth scenes all cut....

slop101 09-15-10 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by manicsounds (Post 10373514)
Imagine Futurama with the Suicide-Booth scenes all cut....

...along with all the scenes leading up to and following them.

LosingMyMind 09-15-10 08:14 PM

I'm glad the scene was removed, although it's unfortunate that it still exists in the streaming versions of the episode.

Boba Fett 09-15-10 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind (Post 10373607)
I'm glad the scene was removed, although it's unfortunate that it still exists in the streaming versions of the episode.

http://files.sharenator.com/Cat_fail...-10288-580.jpg

RagingBull80 09-15-10 09:02 PM

Why?

I realize that I'm probably just feeding a troll here but I'm curious if you're serious about this.

mallratcal 09-16-10 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty (Post 10368027)
From the post above by WMAangel: ROBOT CHICKEN, they had to cut a whole 3+ minute sketch where Beavis & Butt-head join the Teen Titans out of one of their 1st season DVD release.....

I guess I should learn to read.

The Valeyard 09-16-10 07:24 PM

There's always one. -ohbfrank-