Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-10, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

I just finished writing my review of Universal's The Wolf Man - The Legacy Collection. I was going to just copy & paste it here, but that would be crazy long. The short version is that I was disappointed that only two of the four films included actually go together; She-Wolf of London and WereWolf of London are as much a part of The Wolf Man as Steel is a Superman movie. WereWolf of London is probably the strongest of the four, though Henry Hull lacks the charisma of Lon Chaney, Jr. and his sympathetic Larry Talbot.

The bonus features are scant; there are trailers for three of the films (sadly, no Wolf Man trailer), a fluff piece made to tie-in with Van Helsing and a fairly standard made-for-DVD feature on the "series" that's mostly about the werewolf lore incorporated into Curtis Siodmak's screenplays and Jack Pierce's make-up. Only The Wolf Man has a commentary track, and it's actually pretty good, covering everything from production trivia to anecdotes about the cast and crew, as well as a few instances where Tom Weaver calls out plot holes and continuity issues.

On the whole, I enjoyed this volume, but it's clearly inferior to the Dracula and Frankenstein volumes. And because this is the only volume to include Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, it's more than a welcome companion piece; it's practically mandatory.

If you really care (and there's no reason you should), the whole thing is here.
Old 10-06-10, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

When it was first released, even the title was enough for a reputation. Now it can (and has) be(en) shown on broadcast television uncut. But I actually meant its reputation among Horror film fans as a masterpiece as well as its violent reputation. It's hard for any film to live up to a reputation like that. I remember back in 2000 how underwhelmed young people were when The Exorcist was re-released as the "scariest film ever made". Back in 1974, it scared the shit out of people, but decades later, its impact is lessened by parody and plagiarism.

It might be a bit unfair compare it to something watched during the Criterion challenge. While it wasn't a "get your friends and let's shoot a movie on weekends" film, this was guerrilla film making defined. The most experienced actor was actually the one encased in latex playing grandpa. And of course being one of the most influential Horror films of all times, it invented the cliches.

Watch it straight again before watching it with commentary. Listening to Leatherface and the Hitchhiker yucking it up on the soundtrack will forever diminish any impact it might ever have. Second viewings are always better because you know what to expect and can watch the film on its own level. It's not competing against expectations.

But to each his own. If you aren't particularly drawn to the genre, then it might not resonate with you, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-06-10, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

They tried to balance out the movies as best they could on the legacy collection. They put as many of the Dracula movies together as they could and the Frankenstein movies together. Since Wolfman only had one solo movie while appearing in all the other omnibus movies and they had the stand alone Werewolf movies, they had to put them somewhere.
Old 10-06-10, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tonight I viewed the U.S theatrical version of Lifeforce and the R rated version of The Toxic Avenger on vhs. Lifeforce is so much fun, and the asylum sequence and following helicopter scene really got a huge laugh out of me. It was fun seeing this version again since it's the one that I originally was familiar with before the uncut dvd release.

Meanwhile it's surreal seeing the cut R version of The Toxic Avenger after having seen the uncut version so many times over the years. It's still an entertaining fun film though, and the cuts do wind up creating some continuity errors with the biggest one being the restaurant hold up sequence which is chopped to pieces. So that was pretty funny to view. Suddenly the crowded with customers restaurant is empty and the lights are now off as well and one of the robbers vanishes completely since his death scene was cut. This version runs 78 minutes by the way.
Old 10-06-10, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've got the day off so...today's agenda:

Old 10-06-10, 06:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
But to each his own. If you aren't particularly drawn to the genre, then it might not resonate with you, and there's nothing wrong with that.
I've enjoyed your posts defended TCM caligula, some nice reasoned debate there.

But even some lovers of the genre find the film quite mediocre. It does little for me. I actually prefer the Zellweger/McConaughey version.
Old 10-06-10, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest going back to the film a few times. It took me a few viewings to appreciate it. For me, it is to films what the Ramones are to music. There's a a brilliant simplicity to it along with a sick sense of humor and a brutal honesty in what you see is what you get.
Multiple viewings won't necessarily help. TCM is my fiancées favorite movie and I can't count how many times I've seen it by now and each and every time I come out underwhelmed. I really do appreciate what it did for the genre but at the end of the day it's a mediocre film.
Old 10-06-10, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone recommend any 80's werewolf movies, other than Howling and American Werewolf in London? I've already seen Silver Bullet and Wolfen, and have Full Moon High, The Company of Wolves and The Beast Within in my queue for the month. Thanks.
Old 10-06-10, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Can anyone recommend any 80's werewolf movies, other than Howling and American Werewolf in London? I've already seen Silver Bullet and Wolfen, and have Full Moon High, The Company of Wolves and The Beast Within in my queue for the month. Thanks.
Not sure if I'd recommend any of them really, but Howling 2-5 were all made in the 80s. Others are Monster Dog, the Teen Wolf films, and the monster team-ups The Monster Squad and Transylvania 6-5000.

Edit to add: Oh, I'd definitely recommend The Monster Squad, I was just speaking of the Howling sequels.
Old 10-06-10, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
It would also help if I was particularly drawn to slasher films, or even Horror in general.

I have a special love for horror films. But I'm glad you can enjoy (maybe not) them for the benefit of discussion. I think that's cool. And with horror talk it's usually straight-to-the-point reviews, minus all the dissection and thesis talk. Not that that's wrong in any way, it's just horror usually brings about more of an emotional response, with simple points, such as: "Holy crap"

Werewolf Woman is interesting, but made in '76.
Old 10-06-10, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Not sure if I'd recommend any of them really, but Howling 2-5 were all made in the 80s. Others are Monster Dog, the Teen Wolf films, and the monster team-ups The Monster Squad and Transylvania 6-5000.

Edit to add: Oh, I'd definitely recommend The Monster Squad, I was just speaking of the Howling sequels.
Those Howling "sequels" are pretty brutal. III was the only film I've ever abandoned during the challenge. I've got a HD broadcast of Monster Dog that I plan on watching - starring Alice Cooper! I absolutely loathed Monster Squad, but I may look into Transylvania 6-5000.
Old 10-06-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those that cannot access Netflix on their phones (Android users like me, for instance), today's 31 Films selection, It's Alive, is available on YouTube. It's broken into 10 parts, but is great quality and seems to be complete.
Old 10-06-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Here's a question for all:

How do you a count a film date-wise:
a) As the time you begin the film (ie: 1130PM on the 5th)
or
b) As the time the film ends (ie: 1AM on the 6th)

I have been counting it as the date I start the film on.
Old 10-06-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

When it was first released, even the title was enough for a reputation. Now it can (and has) be(en) shown on broadcast television uncut. But I actually meant its reputation among Horror film fans as a masterpiece as well as its violent reputation. It's hard for any film to live up to a reputation like that. I remember back in 2000 how underwhelmed young people were when The Exorcist was re-released as the "scariest film ever made". Back in 1974, it scared the shit out of people, but decades later, its impact is lessened by parody and plagiarism.

It might be a bit unfair compare it to something watched during the Criterion challenge. While it wasn't a "get your friends and let's shoot a movie on weekends" film, this was guerrilla film making defined. The most experienced actor was actually the one encased in latex playing grandpa. And of course being one of the most influential Horror films of all times, it invented the cliches.

Watch it straight again before watching it with commentary. Listening to Leatherface and the Hitchhiker yucking it up on the soundtrack will forever diminish any impact it might ever have. Second viewings are always better because you know what to expect and can watch the film on its own level. It's not competing against expectations.

I agree. I think horror fans nowadays, especially with the torture horror now in the mainstream, are desensatized to violence. Something like Texas Chainsaw was a shock to the system for modern audiences then just as Pyscho was, though both can seen tame by today's standards. Still, something like Texas Chainsaw or Black Christmas (both out in the same year, I believe) resonate for me. I saw Texas Chainsaw on the big screen a few months ago and it was still a shocking film. Last House on the Left, as well, from the same era just stays with you unlike the current remakes do. When I put something like Carpenter's Halloween next to Zombies I realize just how great the original is, what it gave to the genre. There is a reason why most feel these remakes don't need to be done. Films like Texas Chainsaw are icons of the genre it helped create.
Old 10-06-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Posted up my review for PIRANHA 2 THE SPAWNING (1981). I watched both versions of the film: the original and the director's/alternate version. I recommend watching neither.
Old 10-06-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian

or

I always count mine the day I finish it. Commentaries may take me 2-3 days to finish, so I just put the date it was finished. If I did it the other way, I'm putting stuff in my list that isn't actually done yet or have to go re-order the numbering depending on when I finish items.

I think the only exception would be anything that went over midnight from Oct 31st I would put on Oct 31st.

That said, a lot of people do it the other way.
Old 10-06-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i've got the day off so...today's agenda:

Can I come hang out? lol
Old 10-06-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

or

I always date it when I start it. If I were not able to finish it for whatever reason I'd just erase it.
Old 10-06-10, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I usually count it on the day I end it. That is a curious question.
Old 10-06-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I always date it when I start it. If I were not able to finish it for whatever reason I'd just erase it.
Same here. Except for the 31 Oct home stretch.
Old 10-06-10, 10:43 AM

Those Howling "sequels" are pretty brutal. III was the only film I've ever abandoned during the challenge. I've got a HD broadcast of Monster Dog that I plan on watching - starring Alice Cooper! I absolutely loathed Monster Squad, but I may look into Transylvania 6-5000.
So then your hate for The Goonies can not be measured, right? I'm fond of TMS, and hate when people compare it that crap.

Transylvania 6-5000 looks like it's probably awful, but I've always wanted to see it.

Oh, reminds me to watch Mad Monster Party sometime this month....
Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
For those that cannot access Netflix on their phones (Android users like me, for instance), today's 31 Films selection, It's Alive, is available on YouTube. It's broken into 10 parts, but is great quality and seems to be complete.
Watching the 2008 re-make right now, pretty bad so far, more in the It's Alive thread later.

or

I go back and forth, but usually count it on whatever day I watched the bulk of it.
Old 10-06-10, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ugh, my POS LG Blu Ray player isn't playing Frozen, I guess it needs a firmware update or something. I'll have to get that done this weekend.

The Mist looks pretty damn nice in HD though
Old 10-06-10, 11:13 AM

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. My wife's surgery was a little more intense than they originally thought but the doctors say she should be fine once the rough recovery period is over. For the next few days, I'll be either at the hospital or at one of my classes and then on Saturday I've got casting for my thesis film but I'm hoping to get back to watching by Sunday or Monday.

For minLShaw, I know what you mean about TCM. Technically, I watched it for the first time just last week but I've seen so many clips from it and heard it analyzed to death that it didn't have much impact for me. I enjoyed watching it but it didn't come across as scary or intense which I think is due to overexposure. Now, for a true twisted good time, you should check out the second one. It's not scary at all but it's one of the most batshit insanely fun movies I've seen in a good while. I had watched it before but I didn't remember it too much so it was a pleasure to revisit it. My wife and I were hooting and hollering the whole way through.

Or if you really wan tan experience, check out the fourth one with Matthew Mcconaughey. We just watched it and I think the best way to describe it is a horror version of The Room. It's amazingly, stupefyingly horrible. We couldn't stop laughing because every scene has something mindbogglingly stupid.Here's a clip that shows just a small example of how inane it is. The movie is an experience to say the least.
Old 10-06-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I was looking for a Horror film that won an Academy Award any catagory for the checklist cause I thought The Silence Of The Lambs was the only horrorish movie to win any, but I found quite a few I thought I'd share my list for anyone who is having trouble with this caragory.

I included the childrens films that have horror elements - Shrek, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The Wizard Of Oz & The Wonderful World Of The Brothers Grimm

A couple of lighter films with horror elements - Beetlejuice & Ghost

And the biographical film about a horror director - Ed Wood

Academy Award Winning Horror (& Horrorish) Films
Alien (1979) Best Visual Effects
Aliens (1986) Best Visual Effects, Best Sound Editing
An American Werewolf In London (1981) Best Makeup
Beetlejuice (1988) Best Makeup
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) Best Costume Design, Best Makeup, Best Sound Editing
Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde (1932) Best Actor
Ed Wood (1994) Best Supporting Actor, Best Makeup
The Exorcist (1973) Best Sound, Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
The Fly (1986) Best Makeup
Ghost (1990) Best Supporting Actress, Best Writing (Original Screenplay)
Jaws (1975) Best Film Editing, Best Original Score, Best Sound
Jurassic Park (1993) Best Sound Editing, Best Sound, Best Visual Effects
King Kong (2005) Best Sound Editing, Best Sound, Best Visual Effects
Monsters, Inc. (2001) Best Original Song
The Omen (1976) Best Original Score
Phantom Of The Opera (1943) Best Art Direction (Color), Best Cinematography (Color)
Rosemary's Baby (1968) Best Supporting Actress
Shrek (2001) Best Animated Feature
The Silence Of The Lambs (1991) Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Director, Best Picture, Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
Sleepy Hollow (1999) Best Art Direction
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street (2007) Best Art Direction
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005) Best Animated Feature
The Wizard Of Oz (1939) Best Song, Best Original Music Score
The Wonderful World Of The Brothers Grimm (1962) Best Costume Design
Old 10-06-10, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor

But even some lovers of the genre find the film quite mediocre. It does little for me. I actually prefer the Zellweger/McConaughey version.
Arrrgggh! My heart! My heart! Elizabeth - I'm comin' to join ya honey!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.