Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 09-28-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
Hey - no problem. As soon as I get the list done, I'll get it posted along with a very brief description to enable it falls into the category. I'll have it up by later this evening
Don't forget to include the one that's supposed to be like an episode of COPS. I liked what the sketch artist draws
Old 09-28-10, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Has the checklist been updated or is that still pending? Thanks.
Old 09-28-10, 02:19 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Don't forget to include the one that's supposed to be like an episode of COPS. I liked what the sketch artist draws
LOL...that's part of the list.
Old 09-28-10, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by cysiam
Has the checklist been updated or is that still pending? Thanks.
That's the next project we need to tackle. And very soon.
Old 09-28-10, 02:36 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

THE X FILES "HORROR" EPISODES

Below is a list of episodes that I think are suitable to be watched during this challenge. Of course it's open to interpretation, but the episodes do feature serial killers/murderers, voodoo, monster style storylines. I voided just about all alien involved episodes since I felt they are more Sci Fi related then horror, but that's my take on them.

Season 1

Ep 5 - Jersey Devil
Ep 6 - Shadows
Ep 7 - Ice
Ep 20 - Darkness Falls
Ep 21 - Tooms
Ep 23 - Roland

Season 2

Ep 3 - Blood
Ep 9 - Firewalker
Ep 11 - Excelsis Dei
Ep 12 - Aubrey
Ep 13 - Irresistable
Ep 14 - Die Hand, Die Verletzt
Ep 15 - Fresh Bones
Ep 20 - Humbug
Ep 24 - Our Town

Season 3

Ep 4 - Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose
Ep 5 - The List
Ep 6 - 2Shy
Ep 11 - Revelations
Ep 12 - War of the Coprophages
Ep 14 - Grotesque
Ep 17 - Pusher
Ep 18 - Teso Dos Bichos
Ep 22 - Quagmire

Season 4

Ep 2 - Home
Ep 3 - Teliko
Ep 6 - Sanguinarium
Ep 11 - El Mundu Gira
Ep 12 - Leonard Betts

SEASON 5

Ep 4 - Detour
Ep 5 - The Post-Modern Promethus
Ep 10 - Chinga
Ep 12 - Bad Blood
Ep 19 - Folie A Deux

Season 6

Ep 6 - How The Ghosts Stole Christmas
Ep 7 - Terms of Endearment
Ep 16 - Alpha

Season 7

Ep 3 - Hungry
Ep 5 - Push
Ep 9 - Signs and Wonders
Ep 12 - X-Cops

Season 8

Ep 3 - Patience
Ep 4 - Roadruners
Ep 7 - Via Negativa

Season 9

Ep 3 - Daemonics
Ep 8 - Hellbound
Ep 14 - Scary Monsters

Obviously there's probably more in there, but I think these are a good start. Please feel free to add to the list of episodes if I missed any and you feel they are pertinent to the challenge.
Old 09-28-10, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

If I recall, even the Sci-Fi episodes aren't rocket ships buzzing around and friendly alien encounters, but are meant to be nominally scary.
Old 09-28-10, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And here they are. I have to do this quickly since I'm posting from work, so apologies if I forget to mention anything...

I've tried to sync both lists up as much as possible ...15 14 days was the best I could do. Again, maybe next year I can combine them into one complete list. Both lists have 10/20 for vampires to acknowledge Bela Legosi's birthday, 10/23 is a full moon so it's werewolves and of course Halloween speaks for itself.

On the subset list I purposely made the first week Netflix and public domain streaming titles since this was posted a little later than we're accustomed to. The actual participants and the first picks got first priority. The rest was picked through a combination of what syncs with Theme Nights and, of course, the almighty random.org played a small part.

As far as Theme Nights goes, everything is linked this time and the repeats from last year were shuffled around. Even if you don't do themes, well, you have 46 links of things to click on so it'll serve some purpose.

As always, I'll include them both on the first post of the list thread and the second post of the main thread.

31 FILMS SUBSET
WATCH ON THE LISTED DAY WITH GROUP DISCUSSION STARTING THE NEXT MORNING

2008 LIST | 2009 LIST

HORROR FILM CLUB SCHEDULE

DarkRed = Netflix Streaming Title / DarkGreen = Public Domain Streaming Title
= Selection Syncs with Theme Nights

DATE
MOVIE
PARTICIPANT
DISCUSSION THREAD
Friday, October 1st From Beyond (1986) takingchase Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Saturday, October 2nd Sisters (1973) llandros Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Sunday, October 3rd The Cat and the Canary (1927) Mister Peepers Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Monday, October 4th Horror Hotel (1960) Melmoth Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Tuesday, October 5th Dead Snow (2009) ViewAskewbian Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Wednesday, October 6th It's Alive (1974) NoirFan Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Thursday, October 7th Octaman (1971) Mister Peepers Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Friday, October 8th Salvage (2009) Chad Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Saturday, October 9th Black Rainbow (1989) J. Farley Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Sunday, October 10th City of the Living Dead (1980) llandros Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Monday, October 11th The Blob (1988) riotinmyskull Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Tuesday, October 12th Sheitan (2006) dcrw6 Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Wednesday, October 13th Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988) Fist of Doom Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Thursday, October 14th The Children (2008) llandros Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Friday, October 15th Night of the Creeps (1986) bse Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Saturday, October 16th Fear No Evil (1981) riotinmyskull Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Sunday, October 17th My Bloody Valentine (1981) Jerpuffs Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Monday, October 18th Tourist Trap (1979) NoirFan Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Tuesday, October 19th Smash Cut (2009) ViewAskewbian Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Wednesday, October 20th Fright Night (1985) orlmac Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Thursday, October 21st The Seventh Victim (1943) NoirFan Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Friday, October 22nd Demons (1985) Undeadcow Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Saturday, October 23rd Ginger Snaps (2000) tarfrimmer Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Sunday, October 24th Flowers in the Attic (1987) Mister Peepers Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Monday, October 25th Gojira (1954) Jerpuffs Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Tueday, October 26th The Devil's Backbone (2001) Numes Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Wednesday, October 27th Splinter (2008) tarfrimmer Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Thursday, October 28th Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981) Chad Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Friday, October 29th The Monster Squad (1987) ViewAskewbian Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Saturday, October 30th Theatrical Showing - Anything Group Discussion Thread Link Goes Here
Sunday, October 31st Night of the Demons (1988) Jack-O Discussion Thread Link Goes Here

THEME NIGHTS
46 LINKS OF SUB-GENRES

2009 LIST

= Theme Syncs with 31 Films Subset Selection

DATE
THEME
EXAMPLES
Friday, October 1st Bloody Tea & Crumpets - Hammer / Amicus / Ealing Dead of Night, Vampire Circus, Asylum
Saturday, October 2nd Outback Chillers & Kiwi Killers - Australian / New Zealand Howling III, Razorback, Dead Alive, Wolf Lake, Patrick
Sunday, October 3rd Mother Nature Runs Amok! - Natural Horror Films Lost Weekend, Food of the Gods, Kingdom of the Spiders
Monday, October 4th An Excellent Day for an Exorcism - Possession / Satanic / Demonic The Ninth Gate, Lord of Illusions, Alucarda
Tuesday, October 5th Human. It's What's for Dinner - Cannibalism Cannibal Ferox, Cannibal Holocaust, Cannibal Apocalypse
Wednesday, October 6th The Freaks Come Out at Night - Mutants Humanoids from the Deep, C.H.U.D., It's Alive, Basket Case
Thursday, October 7th Killer Grannies & Saggy Mammaries - Psycho-biddy (Hagsploitation) What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, Berserk!, The Nanny
Friday, October 8th Fava Beans & Chianti Mindfucks - Psychological Horror Calvaire, Jacob's Ladder, The Silence of the Lambs
Saturday, October 9th A Dish Best Served with Bloody Mayhem - Rape & Revenge I Spit on Your Grave, The House on the Edge of the Park
Sunday, October 10th They're Coming to Get You, Barbara! - Zombie Films Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror, City of the Living Dead
Monday, October 11th Welcome to Virginityville - Population: 0 - Teen Screams The House of the Devil, Slumber Party Massacre
Tuesday, October 12th Get the Hell Off Jethro's Property! - Backwoods Horror Spider Baby, Hatchet, Redneck Zombies, The Cottage
Wednesday, October 13th Reading is Fundamentally Dead - Films Based on Horror Novels The Fury, Hellraiser, Deadly Friend, The Shining
Thursday, October 14th Schedule a Play Date with Damien - Creepy Kids Bloody Birthday, Who Can Kill a Child?, The Brood
Friday, October 15th Fermented for Your Approval - Cheesy '80s Horror Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare, Chopping Mall, Neon Maniacs
Saturday, October 16th The Newly Expanded Asian Buffet of Terrors! - Korean / Thai
J-Horror / Indian / Chinese / Philippine / Indonesian
Phone, The Eye, House ('77), Gehrayee
Mr. Vampire, Feng Shui, Mystics in Bali
Sunday, October 17th It Slices, Dices & Guts You Like a Fish - Slashers / Giallos / Serial Killers Dr. Giggles, Blood and Black Lace, Deranged
Monday, October 18th Nevermore Frightening - Cinema Inspired by Edgar Allan Poe Two Evil Eyes, Castle of the Walking Dead, The Black Cat
Tuesday, October 19th Ooh! Scary, eh? - Canadian Horror Films Black Christmas, Rabid, Pontypool, The Gate
Wednesday, October 20th A Reel Cinematic Suckfest! - Vampire Films Let the Right One In, Drácula, The Hunger, Thirst
Thursday, October 21st Once, Twice, Three Times the Lacerations - Horror Anthologies Tales from the Crypt, Dead Of Night, Nightmares
Friday, October 22nd Passport to Sheer Terror! - BFI's 100 European Horror Films Bloody Pit of Horror, Mill of the Stone Women
Saturday, October 23rd Full Moon Madness! - Werewolves The Curse of the Werewolf, Werewolf of London
Sunday, October 24th Condemned to VHS Hell! - Video Nasties Evilspeak, The Toolbox Murders, The Boogeyman
Monday, October 25th Giant Monkeys & Radioactive Lizards - Creature Features Alligator, The Beast Within, The Host
Tuesday, October 26th ¡Mierda Espantosa! - Spanish Horror Films The Orphanage, [REC], The Blood Spattered Bride
Wednesday, October 27th Supercharged Zombie Go Boom! - Action Horror Dog Soldiers, Race with the Devil, From Dusk till Dawn
Thursday, October 28th They're Still Here - Supernatural / Haunted House / Ghost The Changeling, The Others, Ghost Story
Friday, October 29th It's Pronounced "Fronkensteen" - Comedy Horror Films Evil Dead 2, Night of the Creeps, Bad Taste
Saturday, October 30th Death by Caffeine on Devil's Night - Mass Marathon of the Damned Keep the coffee plentiful and stay up watching whatever
Sunday, October 31st I'm Crazy Blu-ray Face! Give Me Some Candy! - Halloween Related Night of the Demons, Hell Night, Trick or Treat

Last edited by Chad; 09-29-10 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-28-10, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks great, Chad. The only thing I'd add is a link for the streaming ones.
Old 09-28-10, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, all. Sorry I'm so late to the game. I'm caught up in moving to VA in November, but I'll still be setting asside as much horror movie watching as I can. Hopefully I'll be able to drop in and discuss a bit here and there (maybe I can sway a new Death Bed convert....). I think I'll keep my list more simple this year (at least that's the plan). Looking forward to the festivities! Good luck to all.
Old 09-28-10, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

We're still waiting for our intrepid leader to provide a finalized checklist, but for those who want to just copy & paste either of the sub-sets into their list thread posts for checklist purposes, here ya go:

31 Films Subset
Spoiler:

--- From Beyond (1986)
--- Sisters (1973)
--- The Cat and the Canary (1927)
--- Horror Hotel (1960)
--- Dead Snow (2009)
--- It's Alive (1974)
--- Straight-Jacket (1964)
--- Salvage (2009)
--- Tourist Trap (1979)
--- City of the Living Dead (1980)
--- The Blob (1988)
--- Sheitan (2006)
--- Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988)
--- The Children (2008)
--- Night of the Creeps (1986)
--- Fear No Evil (1981)
--- My Bloody Valentine (1981)
--- Black Rainbow (1989)
--- Smash Cut (2009)
--- Fright Night (1985)
--- The Seventh Victim (1943)
--- Demons (1985)
--- Ginger Snaps (2000)
--- Flowers in the Attic (1987)
--- Gojira (1954)
--- The Devil's Backbone (2001)
--- Splinter (2008)
--- Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981)
--- The Monster Squad (1987)
--- Theatrical screening of any horror movie
--- Night of the Demons (1988)

Theme Nights
Spoiler:

--- Bloody Tea & Crumpets - Hammer / Amicus / Ealing
--- Outback Chillers & Kiwi Killers - Australian / New Zealand
--- Mother Nature Runs Amok! - Natural Horror Films
--- An Excellent Day for an Exorcism - Possession / Satanic / Demonic
--- Human. It's What's for Dinner - Cannibalism
--- The Freaks Come Out at Night - Mutants ☼
--- Killer Grannies & Saggy Mammaries - Psycho-biddy (Hagsploitation) ☼
--- Fava Beans & Chianti Mindfucks - Psychological Horror
--- A Dish Best Served with Bloody Mayhem - Rape & Revenge
--- They're Coming to Get You, Barbara! - Zombie Films ☼
--- Welcome to Virginityville - Population: 0 - Teen Screams
--- Get the Hell Off Jethro's Property! - Backwoods Horror ☼
--- Reading is Fundamentally Dead - Films Based on Horror Novels ☼
--- Schedule a Play Date with Damien - Creepy Kids ☼
--- Fermented for Your Approval - Cheesy '80s Horror ☼
--- The Newly Expanded Asian Buffet of Terrors! - Korean / Thai / J-Horror / Indian / Chinese / Philippine / Indonesian
--- It Slices, Dices & Guts You Like a Fish - Slashers / Giallos / Serial Killers ☼
--- Nevermore Frightening - Cinema Inspired by Edgar Allan Poe
--- Ooh! Scary, eh? - Canadian Horror Films ☼
--- A Reel Cinematic Suckfest! - Vampire Films ☼
--- Once, Twice, Three Times the Lacerations - Horror Anthologies
--- Passport to Sheer Terror! - BFI's 100 European Horror Films ☼
--- Full Moon Madness! - Werewolves ☼
--- Condemned to VHS Hell! - Video Nasties
--- Giant Monkeys & Radioactive Lizards - Creature Features ☼
--- ¡Mierda Espantosa! - Spanish Horror Films ☼
--- Supercharged Zombie Go Boom! - Action Horror
--- They're Still Here - Supernatural / Haunted House / Ghost
--- It's Pronounced "Fronkensteen" - Comedy Horror Films ☼
--- Death by Caffeine on Devil's Night - Mass Marathon of the Damned
--- I'm Crazy Blu-ray Face! Give Me Some Candy! - Halloween Related
Old 09-28-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I don't know what difference it will make, but I just learned that Straight-Jacket (7 October in the Film Subset) is only available for streaming until 1 October. There is no disc to rent from them.
Old 09-28-10, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I don't know what difference it will make, but I just learned that Straight-Jacket (7 October in the Film Subset) is only available for streaming until 1 October. There is no disc to rent from them.
If I can, I'd like to replace it with Octaman

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Octam...?trkid=1211018
Old 09-28-10, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was looking through last year's list thread for some formatting ideas to steal borrow for my list thread this year and I came upon one of the creepiest pictures in LickTheABCs list. I nearly downloaded in my pants after seeing that one again.
Old 09-28-10, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As I mentioned before, the Homicidal/ Straight-Jacket double feature disc from the Castle box can be rented here.
Old 09-28-10, 09:56 PM

Cool, my pick is kicking off the subset list. Consider me syched.
Old 09-28-10, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the X-Files episode list, DVD Magic. I may watch a few of those if I need a break from films.
Old 09-28-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
As I mentioned before, the Homicidal/ Straight-Jacket double feature disc from the Castle box can be rented here.
Also, if you just want to watch Strait-Jacket, and don't have to watch it on the 7th, it's one of the 5 Castle films airing on TCM on 10/30.

11:45 AM - Homicidal (1961) BW-87 mins
1:30 PM - 13 Ghosts (1960) BW-82 mins
3:00 PM - The Tingler (1959) BW-82 mins
4:30 PM - Mr. Sardonicus (1961) BW-90 mins
6:15 PM - Strait-Jacket (1964) BW-93 mins
Old 09-28-10, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks great, Chad. The only thing I'd add is a link for the streaming ones.
Thanks. And it's on the agenda.

If I can, I'd like to replace it with Octaman

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Octam...?trkid=1211018
I can change it, but do you still want to since it's readily available?
Old 09-29-10, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
THE X FILES "HORROR" EPISODES

Below is a list of episodes that I think are suitable to be watched during this challenge. Of course it's open to interpretation, but the episodes do feature serial killers/murderers, voodoo, monster style storylines. I voided just about all alien involved episodes since I felt they are more Sci Fi related then horror, but that's my take on them.

Season 1

Ep 5 - Jersey Devil
Ep 6 - Shadows
Ep 7 - Ice
Ep 20 - Darkness Falls
Ep 21 - Tooms
Ep 23 - Roland

Season 2

Ep 3 - Blood
Ep 9 - Firewalker
Ep 11 - Excelsis Dei
Ep 12 - Aubrey
Ep 13 - Irresistable
Ep 14 - Die Hand, Die Verletzt
Ep 15 - Fresh Bones
Ep 20 - Humbug
Ep 24 - Our Town

Season 3

Ep 4 - Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose
Ep 5 - The List
Ep 6 - 2Shy
Ep 11 - Revelations
Ep 12 - War of the Coprophages
Ep 14 - Grotesque
Ep 17 - Pusher
Ep 18 - Teso Dos Bichos
Ep 22 - Quagmire

Season 4

Ep 2 - Home
Ep 3 - Teliko
Ep 6 - Sanguinarium
Ep 11 - El Mundu Gira
Ep 12 - Leonard Betts

SEASON 5

Ep 4 - Detour
Ep 5 - The Post-Modern Promethus
Ep 10 - Chinga
Ep 12 - Bad Blood
Ep 19 - Folie A Deux

Season 6

Ep 6 - How The Ghosts Stole Christmas
Ep 7 - Terms of Endearment
Ep 16 - Alpha

Season 7

Ep 3 - Hungry
Ep 5 - Push
Ep 9 - Signs and Wonders
Ep 12 - X-Cops

Season 8

Ep 3 - Patience
Ep 4 - Roadruners
Ep 7 - Via Negativa

Season 9

Ep 3 - Daemonics
Ep 8 - Hellbound
Ep 14 - Scary Monsters

Obviously there's probably more in there, but I think these are a good start. Please feel free to add to the list of episodes if I missed any and you feel they are pertinent to the challenge.
I was just thinking about Humbug, the Fair is in town later this week and last year they did have a fiji mermaid.
Old 09-29-10, 09:02 AM

Would Teen Wolf count? It's more comedy than horror but it is about a werewolf.
Old 09-29-10, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chad
I can change it, but do you still want to since it's readily available?
I only want to since I'm strictly choosing streaming movies.
Old 09-29-10, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by cysiam
Would Teen Wolf count? It's more comedy than horror but it is about a werewolf.
Yes, horror-comedies (and/or comedy-horrors) count. I watched (and counted) Teen Wolf and Teen Wolf Too back in '07, and no one complained.

Originally Posted by Chad
Every facet of horror counts: Horror-comedies, Sci-Fi horror, wretchedly bad horror [Insert Current Remake Here], kiddie horror, creature features, erotic horror, Masters of Horror, silents, made-for-TV movies, etc.
Old 09-29-10, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Yes, horror-comedies (and/or comedy-horrors) count.
I would hope so, I'm planning to watch Full Moon High this year!
Old 09-29-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trevor - Are you setting up the individual 31 film subset threads in Movie Talk? That worked out brilliantly last year.
Old 09-29-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numes
Trevor - Are you setting up the individual 31 film subset threads in Movie Talk? That worked out brilliantly last year.
I'll be posting the first few threads very soon.

I only want to since I'm strictly choosing streaming movies.
Done.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.