Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 09-17-10, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Some suggestions with Netflix instant streaming:
The Orphanage (i.e. El Orfanato, 2007)
Carnival of Souls (1962)
City of the Living Dead (1980)
The Fly (1986)

Also consider: Demons (1985) and/or Dead Alive (1992)

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
The Seventh Victim (1943), please.
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
The Monster Squad (1987)
Død snø (2009)
Originally Posted by Fist of Doom View Post
Hellbound: Hellraiser II
Originally Posted by Darth Maher View Post
Night of the Creeps
Good suggestions, +1!! Oddly these are already in my 'to watch' pile.

1987's The Video Dead, unreleased on DVD, is available as a Netflix streaming title here.
Subset inclusion, anyone?

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-18-10 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-18-10, 08:55 AM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Black Rainbow (1989) for the subset. Another attempt by me to spread the love for under the radar favorites. If we don't reach 31, I'd also like to suggest The Redeemer (aka Class Reunion Massacre).
Old 09-18-10, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Would this count as one entry?
Old 09-18-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely thinking of participating this year. Horror isn't my favorite genre but somehow I've got a ton of horror movies in my collection. Hoping for 100 but closer to 50 would be a more realistic challenge. Without cable and netflix I'm gonna be using my own collection or using lots of free streaming sites.
Old 09-18-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

Theme Nights related....

Takes Place During Halloween

- Dark Night of the Scarecrow
- Lady in White
- Night of the Demons
- Night of the Demons 2
- Night of the Demons III
- Night of the Demons (2009)
- Halloween
- Halloween II
- Halloween III: Season of the Witch
- Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
- Halloween 5
- Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers
- Halloween H20: 20 Years Later
- Halloween: Resurrection
- Halloween ('07)
- Halloween II ('09)
- Trick or Treat ('86)
- Trick 'r Treat ('08)
- Trick or Treats ('82)
- Stephen King's Riding the Bullet
- Hell Night
- Jack-O
- Satan's Little Helper
- Halloween Night (aka "Hack-O-Lantern")
- Halloween Night ('06)
- Ginger Snaps
- Ernest Scared Stupid
- House of 1,000 Corpses
- Idle Hands
- Hatchet
- Hatchet II
- Murder Party
- Hellbent
- Boo!
- May (partially)
- The Hollow
- Flesh Eater
- Carnage for the Destroyer
- The Crow
- HalloweeNight
- Halloween: Dia De Muertos
- Pooh's Heffalump Halloween Movie
- Curse of Halloween
- Mr. Halloween
- Hocus Pocus
- Halloweentown
- Halloweentown II: Kalabar's Revenge
- Halloweentown High
- Return to Halloweentown
- The Hazing
- Cemetery of Terror
- The Halloween That Almost Wasn't
- The Halloween Tree
- The Midnight Hour
- The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane

Old 09-18-10, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The list thread is up.

Old 09-18-10, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Have you thought about coming up with names for each horror challenge?

OHMC Part 2: E.T.'s Revenge

Or was that the third one?
Old 09-18-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
The floodgates of hell have opened. We're officially taking submissions for the "31 Films Subset" list.
Night of the Creeps
Old 09-19-10, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Some references for horror on netflix instant streaming:
"A Massive List of New Netflix Instant Streaming Horror Titles" - Dreadcentral.com
"(Tracker) Worthwhile Movies on Netflix Instant Streaming" - Horrordvds.com
Old 09-19-10, 06:43 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

On the subset perhaps we should only include titles that are available through Netflix streaming?

Yes, this would limit our options, but there are still 500 or more titles available that way.

This would perhaps guarantee more possible discussion, since everyone would have access to them, and only be out one month's $8.95 Netflix fee if they are not already a customer.

Just a thought. I hate to limit the selections, but in the past we often get little to no discussion since not everyone can buy or physically rent the titles in play. And I'm sure that out of those 500 we could choose at least 100 worth watching. With streaming, we'll know that at least everyone in the Challenge has the potential to easily watch the film.
Old 09-19-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks!!
Old 09-19-10, 10:00 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

undeadcow - thanks a bunch for that Netflix list. It was going to be a thankless task to try and get a list together but that was perfect.

Now I believe I am set for the challenge. I even have the first weekend in October off from work so will get the viewing under way at midnight on the first day.
Old 09-19-10, 10:29 AM

Had a blast with this last year. Gotta beat my total of 50, so my goal is gonna be 75.
Old 09-19-10, 11:54 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

NSR (Netflix Streaming Recommendations):
House of the Devil (2009)
Let the Right One In (2008)
The Burning (1981)
Old 09-19-10, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
On the subset perhaps we should only include titles that are available through Netflix streaming?
I, for one, appreciate and support this idea but I would amend it to exclude anything that is exclusive to Netflix streaming. I don't know offhand what titles that might be, but I'd hate for someone without Netflix to feel like they couldn't participate because no other content provider has the rights to distribute a title. Otherwise, I love the idea; it definitely increases the likelihood that my wife and I will participate in the daily subset.
Old 09-19-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
I, for one, appreciate and support this idea but I would amend it to exclude anything that is exclusive to Netflix streaming. I don't know offhand what titles that might be, but I'd hate for someone without Netflix to feel like they couldn't participate because no other content provider has the rights to distribute a title. Otherwise, I love the idea; it definitely increases the likelihood that my wife and I will participate in the daily subset.
I would also amend it to include movies that are being shown on channels like TCM, AMC, etc... that are available to most people as well.
Old 09-19-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So if I watch Buffy (I know, not TV), do I discuss it here or in one of the Buffy threads?
Old 09-19-10, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
So if I watch Buffy (I know, not TV), do I discuss it here or in one of the Buffy threads?
There are Buffy threads?

Seriously, though, I've never seen the film or the TV series and I'm thinking I might at least watch the TV pilot (which I got free from iTunes this summer). I intend to discuss it here, but then I'm also not planning on gorging on a whole season at a time. If you go that route, it might be more appropriate to comment at set intervals (i.e., no more than one post per disc; ideally, one post per season). That way, you can still chime in without much risk of being accused of dominating the thread.
Old 09-19-10, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Darth Maher View Post
I would also amend it to include movies that are being shown on channels like TCM, AMC, etc... that are available to most people as well.
Hulu, archive.org also.

It should help that Netflix just started sending out one month trial codes, so anyone that wants it for the month shouldn't have a problem.

I have 4 I can give away if anyone needs it for October. Just remember not to activate it until the first of the month.
Old 09-19-10, 05:40 PM

I don't know why, but this year it doesn't feel the same....
Old 09-19-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Would this count as one entry?
Whatever you think. Seriously.

I honestly can't stress enough how we shouldn't be worrying about this.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
Have you thought about coming up with names for each horror challenge?

OHMC Part 2: E.T.'s Revenge

Or was that the third one?
Yes, actually. But unfortunately it exceeded the character limit and I couldn't think of anything else even remotely witty.
Old 09-19-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, this would limit our options, but there are still 500 or more titles available that way.

This would perhaps guarantee more possible discussion, since everyone would have access to them, and only be out one month's $8.95 Netflix fee if they are not already a customer.

Just a thought. I hate to limit the selections, but in the past we often get little to no discussion since not everyone can buy or physically rent the titles in play. And I'm sure that out of those 500 we could choose at least 100 worth watching. With streaming, we'll know that at least everyone in the Challenge has the potential to easily watch the film.
I agree to an extent, but I'd really prefer not to limit the selections if we don't have to. If I recall correctly last year's list had quite a few with streaming availability and they didn't really garner any more discussion than the others, did they? And the same can be said for the Horror Film Club, although that's comparing apples to oranges. I honestly think popularity, good reviews and word of mouth play just as big a part as availability and, well, people are simply gonna watch what they wanna watch. I personally skipped a few streaming ones not because I wanted to, but in an attempt to catch up on my ever-growing unwatched pile and just wasn't able to work them in.

Besides, as Mister Peepers already mentioned, Netflix currently has a 'friends and family' promotion going that's offering a free one month trial for both streaming and the physical discs. Of course referrals aren't allowed here, but I'm certain people are resourceful enough to find ways outside the forum ...like the handy PM function. BTW, I also have four to give away.
Old 09-19-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Unless it's in one of the four subset and horror film club lists, it goes in here.

Originally Posted by DVDMagic View Post
(just one small thing - the dates in the subset section are off by a day FYI)
That's because it's last year's list. We're currently taking suggestions for this year's. The same goes for the checklist. And theme nights is updated for 2010 but it's, oh, 95% complete at the moment.

Didn't I mention that in the list thread?
Old 09-19-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
There are Buffy threads?

Seriously, though, I've never seen the film or the TV series and I'm thinking I might at least watch the TV pilot (which I got free from iTunes this summer). I intend to discuss it here, but then I'm also not planning on gorging on a whole season at a time. If you go that route, it might be more appropriate to comment at set intervals (i.e., no more than one post per disc; ideally, one post per season). That way, you can still chime in without much risk of being accused of dominating the thread.
That actually reminds me of idea I was tinkering with and feel free to shoot it down. What about having a separate discussion thread for all TV-related content? That way those that aren't especially keen on the inclusion of TV shows won't have that discussion shoved down their throats. And of course this proposed thread would go in the TV forum for obvious reasons. Any thoughts?
Old 09-19-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
And of course this proposed thread would go in the TV forum for obvious reasons. Any thoughts?
Makes sense but since I don't travel over there, I'm probably going to forget it's there.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.