Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

September Criterion Challenge 2010 - List Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-10, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: September Criterion Challenge 2010 - List Thread

I'm in. My mom had a bad fall last month so I was unable to participate in the animation challenge. I'm good to go for this one though, since her knee is coming along and she doesn't need my help so much now. Got my batch from the last B&N sale ready to go plus whatever else I'm in the mood for.

September 1st
1. Une Femme Est Une Femme (1961)

September 2nd
2. Army of Shadows (1969)
3. Pickup On South Street (1953)

September 3rd
4. Fanny & Alexander: The Television Version (1982)

September 4th
5. Le Cercle Rough (1970)
6. Smiles Of a Summer Night (1955)

September 5th
7. Contempt (1963)
8. Le Samourai (1967)

September 6th
9. Band of Outsiders (1964)

September 7th
10. Brazil (1985)

September 8th
11. Time Bandits (1981)
12. Salo (1976)

September 9th
13. 2 Or 3 Things I Know About Her (1967)

September 10th
14. Notorious (1946)
15. Wild Strawberries (1957)

September 11th
16. Simon of the Desert (1965)
17. The Exterminating Angel (1965)

September 12th
18. Stagecoach (1939)
19. The Red Shoes (1948)

September 13th
20. The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (1933)
21. In the Mood for Love (2000)

Last edited by Cronenbergfan71; 09-21-10 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-01-10, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My goal is to watch out of print Criterion discs. I own 49 that are currently OOP, so I started with spine number 1 today and will continue with #8, #9, #12, #13, #20, #21, etc. I will try to watch one DVD per day.

Sept. 1
#1. Grand Illusion

Sept. 2
#8. The Killer

Sept. 3
#9. Hard Boiled

Last edited by ThomasB; 09-05-10 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-02-10, 12:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1. Black Orpheus (1959) 107 min. The myth of Orpheus retold in contemporary Rio de Janeiro. The whole is more than the sum of its parts.This telling never approaches the brilliance of Cocteau's version, but the color cinematography and music are beautiful, although the direction and acting is pedestrian. Perhaps the Carnival setting enhances the story of death and hoped for resurrection. Maybe not quite a great movie, but one that I will never tire of watching.
2. The Cranes Are Flying (1957) * 95 min. Young factory worker volunteers for the army shortly after the German invasion. The story focuses on the hardships that his girlfriend and family face as they do their part in the war effort at home. The movie presents complex characters in difficult circumstances in a way that leaves the viewer uncertain what they will do next, and as a result it is impossible to view any of the characters as completely good or bad, with the exception of the young soldier. The camera is as remarkably innovative and expressive as the story. A great movie, a masterpiece of humanism.
3. Ballad of a Soldier (1959) 88 min. Soldier is granted leave as a reward for knocking out two German tanks, and encounters people from a cross-section of Soviet society during his journey home. Well made patriotic film does what it sets out to do very effectively.
Audio interview with director Grigori Chukhrai and actors Vladimir Ivashov and Zhanna Prokhorenko. (14 min.) The interview took place at the Four Seasons restaurant, so there is a lot of background noise and other difficulties, especially misunderstandings related to translation. It is almost funny as Chukhrai seems to become irritated as he believes that the interviewer is suggesting that his work is unoriginal, when the interviewer is (perhaps too frequently) asking him to talk about earlier directors who influenced him.
4. Zulu (1964) 138 min. 140 British soldiers try to hold a mission/hospital against 4000 Zulu warriors. Great action film. This is how to make an epic.
5. A Generation (1955) 87 min. * A young worker joins the Communist resistance in occupied Poland. Grim, realistic portrayal of the cost of war for both soldiers and civilians shows how young people are forced to grow up quickly. A great movie.
Ceramics From Ilza (1951) * 10 min. Documentary about folk-art ceramics industry in a Polish town. Andrzej Wajda's second student film is interesting, although it would have benefited from color film.
6. Kanal(1957) * 96 min. Polish Resistance soldiers struggle to hold an outpost against the Germans during the Warsaw uprising, then are ordered to escape downtown through the sewers. Although the situation is hopeless, hope keeps appearing as the soldiers refuse to give up on each other. A great movie.
7. Ashes and Diamonds (1958) * 103 min. Former Resistance soldiers plan to assassinate a Communist official on the day of the German surrender. Two men who have spent years fighting against the occupiers now turn against fellow Poles, and are torn between continuing to follow orders or giving in to their fatigue with killing. Zbigniew Cybulski gives an electrifying performance as Maciek, the jaded young assassin who unexpectedly returns to life when he falls in love. In a way, this is perhaps the most despairing movie of Wajda's war trilogy, since the assassins are no longer forced to fight by the Nazi occupation, but continue to follow orders because that is what they do, despite their doubts about whether their actions are benefiting their country. A great movie.
8. The Loves of a Blonde (1965) * 85 min. Young factory worker in a town where women greatly outnumber men becomes romantically obsessed with a musician passing through. An interesting mix of social satire, character study and romantic comedy/drama, the movie turns surprisingly downbeat during a trip to Prague and concludes with hope, but not a lot of confidence, that things will work out for for Andula.
Interview with Milos Forman 16 min. Interesting recollections by Forman about his early career in Czechoslovakia and this movie, particularly his thoughts on using non-professional and less experienced actors.
9. She's Gotta Have It (1986) * 84 min. Spike Lee's look at a young woman who can't decide between three very different men. It is structured as a documentary being filmed about her, but there is no explanation of this conceit, although it does camouflage a few instances of slightly stiff acting. Unfortunately, it doesn't ultimately feel like Lee really understands her, and just ends with a feminist cliche because he didn't know what else to do. A brave choice of subject for a first commercial film, it feels kind of like the Woody Allen of Annie Hall/Manhattan/Stardust Memories, except that it is impossible to imagine Allen focusing on a female protagonist at that time. Beautiful cinematography.
10. Night and Fog (1955) * 32 min. Powerful documentary essay about the Nazi death camps that answers the slogan, "Never again," with "Why not? It has happened before and it will happen again."
11. The Shop on Main Street (1965) * 126 min. Easy going carpenter is awarded the position of Aryan manager of the button shop of an elderly Jewish widow by his brother-in-law, the Fascist leader of the Slovak village. He finds that this doesn't lead to easy money, but to a complicated relationship with her and the local Jewish community, and ultimately to difficult moral choices. A sweet comedy that inevitably becomes a tragedy. Great performances by Ida Kaminska as widow Lautmann and Jozef Kroner as carpenter Tono.
12. Ivan's Childhood (1962) * 95 min. Orphan boy is a scout for the Soviet Army, attempting to avenge himself against the Germans. Andrei Tarkovsky's expressionist movie explores the human cost of war.
Life as a Dream Film historian Vida T. Johnson discusses Ivan's Childhood and Tarkovsky's career.
Interview with Nicolai Burlyaev. The star of Ivan's Childhood discusses working with Tarkovsky.
Interview with Vadim Yusov. The cinematographer of Ivan's Childhood discusses working with Tarkovsky.
13. Wings (1966) * 85 min. Character study of a school headmistress who was a heroic fighter pilot in World War II, now coming to the realization of the emptiness of the life of service to society that she chose to bury herself in to avoid the pain of her loss. Great movie by director Larisa Shepitko and a great performance by Maya Bulgakova as the woman struggling to find the meaning of her life.
14. The Ascent (1977) * 109 min. Byelorussian partisans attacked by Germans send two soldiers to forage for food, leading to a test of their souls. Great movie by director Larisa Shepitko.
15. Closely Watched Trains (1966) * 93 min. A young man gets a job as a dispatcher trainee in the village's train station, and observes the work and personal activities of his colleagues to learn what he needs to do to reach sexual and professional maturity. A comedy which celebrates the resistance to authority and pleasure seeking of the Czechs in opposition to the Nazi drive for efficiency and control, it is never as trifling as it appears on the surface.
16. Torment (1944) * 101 min. A student weeks away from graduation has an escalating conflict with the sadistic high school Latin teacher while becoming involved in a love triangle with a shop girl and a mystery man. Screenwriter Ingmar Bergman reveals repression in the educational system and the family, and implicitly in the church and the state as well, while director Alf Sjoberg adds touches of noir to his melodrama.
17. Crisis (1946) * 93 min. Teenage girl escapes the dull life of the small town where she grew up by accepting her birth mother's invitation to come to Stockholm to work in her beauty parlor. Writer/director Ingmar Bergman explores the conflict between restless youth and traditional values, and while his sympathies seem to lie with the youth, his plot favors traditional values. Stig Olin gives an excellent performance as the rakish Jack, who lives off his half-sister and lover, Jenny, but can't stay away from her naive daughter, Nelly.
18. Port of Call (1948) * 97 min. Merchant sailor turned longshoreman Gosta falls in love with factory worker Berit, recently paroled from reform school. Writer/director Ingmar Bergman looks at the lives of working class people in this movie, and shows how the combination of repressive traditional social values and paternalistic, mechanical social institutions grind them down. The move out of his usual bourgeois family setting frees him to make a more open critique of the stifling conformity of Swedish society.
19. Pygmalion (1938) 95 min. A perfect translation of Shaw's play to film. Wonderful performances, especially Wendy Hiller as Eliza, Wilfrid Lawson as Doolittle and David Tree as Freddy.
20. Bottle Rocket (1996) * 91 min. Young man recently out of a mental clinic joins with friends in small burglaries and robberies and burglaries in preparation for a big job. Since he is, relatively speaking, the sane one, the odds are long.
Bottle Rocket (1992) * 13 min. Short film that provided the early scenes of the feature. It is interesting to see how things were tightened up in the feature, particularly since the movie is more concerned with its quirky characters than plot.
The Shafrazi Lectures, No. 1:Bottle Rocket 11 min. Art gallery owner talks about the meaning of the movie for him. Cute idea comes off as pretentious.
21. Major Barbara (1941) 121 min. The moment that Wendy Hiller begins speaking, you see why Adolphus falls in love with Barbara. Hiller initially captures the quiet passion of her faith, and later other qualities including humor, fearlessness, and righteousness. She brings a character who could easily be merely an abstract position in a debate to life, and the movie does the same for the play. Robert Morley is equally remarkable as Andrew Undershaft, who Adolphus rightly refers to as a devil. Morley beautifully underplays this cynic who delights in puncturing social pieties and manipulating people. The tour of Undershaft & Lazarus' armaments works and model factory town and the optimistic conclusion ironically serve as a call to support the war effort.
22. Witchcraft Through the Ages (1968) * 76 min. Recut of Haxan with narration by William S. Burroughs and a jazz score. My first viewing of this version, which was better than I expected. I'll probably re-watch the original next month during the Horror Challenge.
23. Walkabout (1971) 101 min. Adolescent girl and her younger brother are stranded in the Australian outback, meet adolescent Aboriginal boy on walkabout who helps them survive. Meditation on man versus nature, the primitive versus civilization, the transition from childhood to adulthood and memory. Beautiful movie.
Interview with Luc Roeg 21 min. 2010 interview about the production.
Interview with Jenny Agutter 20 min. 2008 interview about the production.
Gulpilil: One Red Blood (2002) * 56 min. Fascinating documentary
24. The Last Wave (1977) 106 min. Sydney corporate lawyer begins to have strange dreams, then takes on the defense of five Aboriginals accused of a killing which he believes is related to violation of a tribal taboo by the victim. A mystical mystery in which the question is not simply what happened, but also who the people involved really are.
Interview with Peter Weir 11 min. 2001 interview with Weir, his comments about his concern about accurately representing Aboriginal culture are interesting, particularly in light of the conclusion of the film.
25. Once Were Warriors (1994) * 103 min. Grim story of domestic violence in a lower class Maori family. Excellent performances by Temuera Morrison as the abusive husband and Rena Owen as the surprisingly strong wife who stubbornly sticks with him through the cycles of violence and reconciliation.
26. The Children Are Watching Us (1944) * 84 min. A small boy observes the destruction of his family as a result of adultery, and has to learn how to navigate the adult world of petty selfishness and hypocrisy.
Interview with Luciano De Ambrosis 8 min. 2004 interview with actor who played Prico, the son.
Interview with Callisto Cosulich 9 min. 2004 interview with film historian.
27. Rome, Open City (1945) * 103 min. Italian partisans resist the German occupation of Rome. The world's introduction to neorealism, it combines a realistic depiction of wartime conditions and situations with a serious reflection on moral behavior and survival under harsh circumstances.
Interview with Father Virgilio Fantuzzi 5 min. Film critic and friend of Rossellini discusses religion in his films, and religious themes and imagery in Rome Open City.
28. Paisan (1946) * 126 min. Six episodes follow the Allied invasion from Sicily to the Po Valley, illuminating the multifaceted and changing relationships between Italians and their liberators.
29. Thirst (1949) * 83 min. Former ballerina in an unhappy marriage bickers with her aloof intellectual husband and recalls an earlier disastrous affair and her apparently unhappy schooling, while parallel stories involving two women that she had intersections with in the past also play out. Complex story is ably handled by director Ingmar Bergman, but the result is rather cold and distant.
30. Germany Year Zero (1948) * 73 min. Bleak story of a boy whose moral sense has been as devastated as his city, where he is trying to scratch out the means of survival for himself and his family from the rubble.
Interview with the Taviani brothers 8 min. The filmmakers discuss the influence of Rossellini on their films.
31. To Joy (1950) * 99 min.
32. La Haine (1995) * 98 min.
Introduction by Jodie Foster 15 min.
33. Solo Con Tu Pareja (1991) * 94 min.
Quartet for the End of Time (1983) * 24 min.
Wedding Night (2000) * 5 min.
34. Two-Lane Blacktop (1971) * 102 min.

* First time viewing.

Last edited by ororama; 09-30-10 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-02-10, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm considering doing this challenge even though I've never done one before. I have lots of Criterions I need to watch.

Reserved
Old 09-02-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

1. Walkabout (1971)
2. Dazed and Confused (1993)

Last edited by Chad; 09-06-10 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-03-10, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in. Love Criterion and I have a vacation coming up.
Spoiler:
Watch one film from every decade covered by Criterion.
--- 1920 -
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 - Shadows
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 - Naked
--- 2000 -

Watch films in at least five languages.
--- First language, English, Naked. English, Shadows.
--- Second language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Third language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Fourth language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Fifth language, (insert language), (insert title).

Watch something from spine number range:
--- 001-050 -
--- 051-100 -
--- 101-150 -
--- 151-200 -
--- 201-250 -
--- 251-300 - Shadows 251
--- 301-350 - Naked 307
--- 351-400 -
--- 401-450 -
--- 451-500 -
--- 500-550 -
--- an Eclipse title -
--- a laser disc only Criterion from this list -

Watch a film from the following genres:
--- Comedy
--- Drama-Naked. Shadows.
--- Horror
--- Science Fiction
--- Action / Adventure
--- Musical
--- Epic / Historical
--- Mystery / Thriller
--- War / Western
--- Documentary

--- Watch a film which won an Academy Award -
--- Watch a film with commentary -
--- Watch a short -
--- Watch a Criterion disc completely. Every part of it. -
--- Watch an entire Criterion Collector's Set/Eclipse Box Set -

Last edited by Dr. Mantle; 09-19-10 at 02:22 AM.
Old 09-03-10, 10:21 AM

Ooh! I've never done a challenge before, this sounds exciting! I won't be able to watch too many because of uni though. I'm also not going to watch anything that I've already seen...

September 1:
---Nothing---

September 2:
---Nothing---

September 3:
---Nothing---

September 4:
1. Dead Ringers (1988) 6/10
Cronenberg is one of my favourite directors, and I liked it, but not much happened and it all went a bit weird at the end.

September 5:
2. The Rock (1996) 6/10
I hate Michael Bay and only watched this to get 'action' checked. But I was kind of in the mood for a mindless action movie, so I didn't mind it.
3. Nanook of the North (1922) 4/10
Eh. I found it boring. I don't really like documentaries and I'm not particularly interested in Eskimo's.

September 6:
4. Solyaris (1972) 6/10
I enjoyed it, but not a lot happened and it seemed a bit pointless. Very overrated.

September 7:
---Nothing---

September 8:
5. Fa yeung nin wa (2000) 6/10
I liked it, but again, not a lot happened. I didn't really feel any chemistry between the two leads and it all felt a bit too 'Asian'.
6. Acéra ou Le bal des sorcières (1972) - short

September 9:
---Nothing---

September 10:
7. Le charme discret de la bourgeoisie (1972) 6/10
I thought it was an interesting idea, but I didn't really 'feel' it while I was watching it.

September 11:
8. Rushmore (1998) 5/10
I think it was supposed to be a comedy, but I didn't find it funny at all, though it was ok as a drama. Also, it had awesome music.

September 12:
9. Une femme est une femme (1961) 8/10
It was odd and random, but I thought it was funny and it was... fun.
10. Der Himmel über Berlin (1987) 5/10
It was a bit too... philosophical (?) for my taste, but it didn't put me to sleep. I preferred City of Angels, even though I didn't really like that (except for the ending).
11. Le samouraï (1967) 10/10
I thought this was going to be extremely boring, then I found myself sitting on the edge of my seat and really enjoying it. The main character was also seriously awesome.

September 13:
12. Days of Heaven (1978) 4/10
I really struggled to stay awake through this (it's 1:30am, but still...). I didn't care for any of the characters and it was boring.

September 14:
13. Hamlet (1948) 4/10
This is the first Shakespeare 'thing' I've experienced (aside from Shakespeare in Love) and I have to say, he sucks. The movie was boring, the dialogue was stupid, the plot was stupid.
14. Trouble in Paradise (1932) 7/10
I didn't find it funny and didn't particularly like it, but the acting was good and I liked the dialogue. Usually the dialogue in movies this old annoys me.

September 15:
15. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) 5/10
I felt the same way about it as I did Rushmore - not very funny, but ok as a drama.
16. The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976) 3/10
Despite my love for science fiction, I lost interest 30 minutes in and I had no idea what was going on for the rest of it.

September 16:
17. La pieuvre (1928) - short
18. Les oursins (1958) - short
19. Les amours de la pieuvre (1967) - short
20. Traitement expérimental d'une hémorragie chez le chien (1930) - short

September 17:
21. Cristaux liquides (1978) - short
22. La daphnie (1929) - short
23. Histoires de crevettes (1964) - short
24. Hyas et stenorinques (1929) - short
25. Les danseuses de mer (1960) - short
26. Images mathématiques de la quatrième dimension (1937) - short
27. Ace in the Hole (1951) 5/10
It was ok. I didn't like any of the characters or care about what they were doing. And the dialogue was too... 'old'.

September 18:
---Nothing---

September 19:
28. Roma, città aperta (1945) 5/10
I didn't think it was a bad movie, but I didn't like it. Like most movies, I didn't care about any of the characters or the situation.

September 20:
29. Le cercle rouge (1970) 7/10
I liked it, but it dragged on a bit. It started off really good, then it was iffy. The heist scene was epic though.

September 21:
30. L'eclisse (1962) 5/10
It was meh. The first 4/5 of the movie was mainly stockbroker stuff that I didn't get and when stuff finally did happen, there wasn't really much... stuff.

September 22:
---Nothing---

September 23:
31. Il gattopardo (1963) 5/10
It was ok. I don't like historical/period movies though and there didn't seem to be a point.

September 24:
---Nothing---

September 25:
---Nothing---

September 26:
---Nothing---

September 27:
---Nothing---

September 28:
---Nothing---

September 29:
---Nothing---

September 30:
32. Hunger (2008) 4/10
*yawn*. Wake me up when something happens.. oh, it's over? It was about nothing. I didn't care about the main character and it was boring.

Eep. I got a bit off track there as I became a little obsessed with Alain Delon and not that many of his movies were Criterion.

Checklist:
Spoiler:

-X- 1920 - Nanook of the North (1922)
-X- 1930 - Trouble in Paradise (1932)
-X- 1940 - Hamlet (1948)
-X- 1950 - Ace in the Hole (1951)
-X- 1960 - Une femme est une femme (1961)
-X- 1970 - Solyaris (1972)
-X- 1980 - Dead Ringers (1988)
-X- 1990 - The Rock (1996)
-X- 2000 - Fa yeung nin wa (2000)

-X- First language, (English), (Dead Ringers).
-X- Second language, (Russian), (Solyaris).
-X- Third language, (Cantonese), (Fa yeung nin wa).
-X- Fourth language, (French), (Le charme discret de la bourgeoisie).
-X- Fifth language, (German), (Der Himmel über Berlin).

-X- 001-050 - Dead Ringers (#21)
-X- 051-100 - Rushmore (#65)
-X- 101-150 - The Rock (#108)
-X- 151-200 - Solyaris (#164)
-X- 201-250 - Une femme est une femme (#238)
-X- 251-300 - The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (#300)
-X- 301-350 - Le samouraï (#306)
-X- 351-400 - Ace in the Hole (#396)
-X- 401-450 - Days of Heaven (#409)
-X- 451-500 - Der Himmel über Berlin (#490)
-X- 500-550 - [B]Hunger (#504)[B]
--- an Eclipse title -
-X- a laser disc only Criterion from this list - Dead Ringers

-X- Comedy - Le charme discret de la bourgeoisie
-X- Drama - Fa yeung nin wa
-X- Horror - Dead Ringers
-X- Science Fiction - Solyaris
-X- Action / Adventure - The Rock
-X- Musical - Une femme est une femme
-X- Epic / Historical - Hamlet
-X- Mystery / Thriller - Le samouraï
-X- War / Western - Roma, città aperta
-X- Documentary - Nanook of the North

-X- Watch a film which won an Academy Award - Le charme discret de la bourgeoisie (Best Foreign Film)
--- Watch a film with commentary -
-X- Watch a short - Acéra ou Le bal des sorcières (1972)
--- Watch a Criterion disc completely. Every part of it. -
--- Watch an entire Criterion Collector's Set/Eclipse Box Set -

Last edited by mightysparks; 06-25-11 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-03-10, 06:23 PM

September 2nd:
1. #182 Straw Dogs 9.4/10
Review of the film is on my blog Cinema Enthusiast.
Old 09-04-10, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm assuming we don't actually have to watch it on laser disc. Just a film that Criterion released on LD, but someone else released on DVD, e.g. Blade Runner, Citizen Kane, Pulp Fiction.

Here's the list of Criterion LDs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rdisc_releases
Old 09-04-10, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

* - first-time viewing

Mon. Sept. 6, 2010
1. THE SCARLET EMPRESS (1934, U.S., drama) Dir.: Josef von Sternberg
Criterion DVD

Wed. Sept. 8, 2010
*2. TOKYO DRIFTER (1966, Japan, crime) Dir.: Seijun Suzuki
Criterion DVD

Thurs. Sept. 9, 2010
3. ALPHAVILLE (1965, France, sci-fi) Dir.: Jean-Luc Godard
Criterion DVD

Fri. Sept. 10, 2010
*4. THE RISE OF CATHERINE THE GREAT (1934, England, drama) Dir.: Paul Czinner
5. THE LADY VANISHES (1938, England, thriller) Dir.: Alfred Hitchcock

Sat. Sept. 11, 2010
*6. TOKYO OLYMPIAD (1965, Japan, documentary) Dir.: Kon Ichikawa

Sun. Sept. 12, 2010
*7. BIG DEAL ON MADONNA STREET (1958, Italy, comedy) Dir.: Mario Monicelli

Mon. Sept. 13, 2010
8. THE FUGITIVE KIND (1957, U.S., drama) Dir.: Sidney Lumet

Tues. Sept. 14, 2010
9. F FOR FAKE (1975, France-West Germany, documentary) Dir.: Orson Welles
10. HARD-BOILED (1992, Hong Kong, crime thriller) Dir.: John Woo

Thurs. Sept. 16, 2010
11. PYGMALION (1938, England, comedy) Dir.: Anthony Asquith, Leslie Howard

Fri. Sept. 17, 2010
12. THE NAKED CITY (1948, U.S., thriller) Dir.: Jules Dassin
13. THE 39 STEPS (1935, England, thriller) Dir.: Alfred Hitchcock

Sat. Sept. 18, 2010
*14. WINGS OF DESIRE (1988, Germany-France, fantasy-drama) Dir.: Wim Wenders
*15. OSAKA ELEGY (1936, Japan, drama) Dir.: Kenji Mizoguchi
Eclipse Series 13: Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women / Criterion DVD

Sun. Sept. 19, 2010
*16. SISTERS OF THE GION (1936, Japan, drama) Dir.: Kenji Mizoguchi

Mon. Sept. 20, 2010
*17. WOMEN OF THE NIGHT (1948, Japan, drama) Dir.: Kenji Mizoguchi

Tues. Sept. 21, 2010
*18. STREET OF SHAME (1956, Japan, drama) Dir.: Kenji Mizoguchi

Thurs. Sept. 23, 2010
19. I SHOT JESSE JAMES (1949, U.S., western) Dir.: Sam Fuller

Fri. Sept. 24, 2010
20. THE KILLER (1989, Hong Kong, thriller) Dir.: John Woo

Sun. Sept. 26, 2010
*21. WHEN A WOMAN ASCENDS THE STAIRS (1960, Japan, drama) Dir.: Mikio Naruse
Criterion DVD
22. WHEN A WOMAN ASCENDS THE STAIRS Audio Commentary by Donald Richie
Criterion DVD

Wed. Sept. 29, 2010
*23. JIGOKU (1960, Japan, horror) Dir.: Nobuo Nakagawa
24. MY MAN GODFREY (1936, U.S., comedy) Dir.: Gregory La Cava
25. NIGHT AND FOG (1955, France, docu.) Dir.: Alain Resnais

Thurs. Sept. 30, 2010
*26. ONE HOUR WITH YOU (1932, U.S., musical) Dir.: Ernst Lubitsch
*27. RICHARD III (1955, England, historical drama) Dir.: Laurence Olivier
Criterion DVD
28. MR. ARKADIN (1955, France-Spain-Switzerland, drama) Dir.: Orson Welles / Corinth Films version
*29. KING OF KINGS (1927, U.S., silent, Biblical epic) Dir.: Cecil B. DeMille

Spoiler:
Optional Checklist
The checklist is completely optional. It is just a "fun" inclusion to give one a sense of accomplishment, to help one diversify viewing, or to use as a guide on what to watch next.

-X- 1920 - KING OF KINGS
-X- 1930 – THE SCARLET EMPRESS
-X- 1940 – THE NAKED CITY
-X- 1950 – BIG DEAL ON MADONNA STREET
-X- 1960 – TOKYO DRIFTER
-X- 1970 – F FOR FAKE
-X- 1980 – WINGS OF DESIRE
-X- 1990 – HARD-BOILED
--- 2000 -

-X- First language, (English), (THE LADY VANISHES)
-X- Second language, (Japanese), (TOKYO DRIFTER)
-X- Third language, (French), (ALPHAVILLE)
-X- Fourth language, (Italian), (BIG DEAL ON MADONNA STREET)
-X- Fifth language, (Cantonese), (HARD-BOILED)

-X- 001-050 - ALPHAVILLE
-X- 051-100 – THE 39 STEPS
-X- 101-150 – THE SCARLET EMPRESS
-X- 151-200 – TOKYO OLYMPIAD
-X- 201-250 - RICHARD III
-X- 251-300 – F FOR FAKE
--- 301-350 -
-X- 351-400 – THE NAKED CITY
--- 401-450 -
-X- 451-500 – WINGS OF DESIRE
-X- 500-550 – THE FUGITIVE KIND
-X- an Eclipse title – OSAKA ELEGY

-X- Comedy BIG DEAL ON MADONNA STREET
-X- Drama OSAKA ELEGY
-X- Horror JIGOKU
-X- Science Fiction ALPHAVILLE
-X- Action / Adventure HARD-BOILED
-X- Musical ONE HOUR WITH YOU
-X- Epic / Historical THE SCARLET EMPRESS
-X- Mystery / Thriller THE LADY VANISHES
-X- War / Western I SHOT JESSE JAMES
-X- Documentary TOKYO OLYMPIAD

-X- Watch a film which won an Academy Award - THE NAKED CITY (Best Film Editing; Best b&w Cinematography)
-X- Watch a film with commentary - WHEN A WOMAN ASCENDS THE STAIRS
-X- Watch a short - NIGHT AND FOG
-X- Watch a Criterion disc completely. Every part of it. - WHEN A WOMAN ASCENDS THE STAIRS
-X- Watch an entire Criterion Collector's Set/Eclipse Box Set -Eclipse Series 13: Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women (4 films)

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 10-02-10 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-05-10, 12:58 AM

Here's my September:

9/4
1. CRUMB
2. LOUIE BLUIE

9/5
3. THE FUGITIVE KIND
4. THE LAST DAYS OF DISCO
5. DAYS OF HEAVEN

9/6
6. MR. ARKADIN (The Corinth Version)
7. REVANCHE
8. ECLIPSE SERIES 17: NIKKATSU NOIR / I AM WAITING
9. ECLIPSE SERIES 17: NIKKATSU NOIR / RUSTY KNIFE

9/7
10. ECLIPSE SERIES 17: NIKKATSU NOIR / TAKE AIM AT THE POLICE VAN

9/9
11. CRAZED FRUIT

9/10
12. SPARTACUS

9/11
13. ECLIPSE SERIES 17: NIKKATSU NOIR / CRUEL GUN STORY
14. ECLIPSE SERIES 17: NIKKATSU NOIR / A COLT IS MY PASSPORT
15. A WOMAN IS A WOMAN

9/12
16. THE HUMAN CONDITION

9/13
17. HARAKIRI
18. SUMMER HOURS

9/14
19. HARD BOILED

9/15
20. PYGMALION

9/18
21. ARMAGEDDON

9/19
22. EUROPA

9/20
23. GEORGE WASHINGTON

9/21
24. RICHARD III

9/22
25. MISHIMA: A LIFE IN FOUR CHAPTERS

9/24
26. HEAVEN CAN WAIT

9/25
27. BREATHLESS

9/26
28. THE ICE STORM

9/27
29. MAFIOSO

9/29
30. UNDERWORLD

9/30
31. DIVORCE, ITALIAN STYLE

Last edited by RadioConelrad; 09-30-10 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-11-10, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know I'm late to the party but I'd like to play anyway

Sept 11

1. The Rock

Sept 12

2. Armageddon

Last edited by InnocentBlood; 09-12-10 at 02:44 AM.
Old 09-23-10, 11:32 AM

1. W. C. Fields: 6 Short Films (Spine #79)

2. The Bank Dick (Spine #78)

3. The Lady Eve (Spine #103)

4. Rebecca (Spine #135)

5. The Taking of Power by Louis XIV (Spine #456)

6. Ornamental Hairpin (Eclipse Series 15 - Travels with Hiroshi Shimizu)

7. My Man Godfrey (Spine #114)