Old 10-13-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Warner Archive releasing several animated shows soon

October 19 - The Addams Family: The Complete (1973) Series

October 19 - Josie And The Pussycats In Outer Space: The Complete Series

October 26 - Goober And The Ghost Chasers: The Complete Series

October 26 - The Funky Phantom: The Complete Series

All 4-disc sets with an MSRP of $29.95, but The Addams Family, Goober And The Ghost Chasers, and Funky Phantom are all on sale for $20.96 right now.

(Courtesty TVShowsOnDVD.com)

Last edited by kstublen; 10-13-10 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-14-10, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,064 Likes on 644 Posts

I don't remember Goober & the Ghost Chasers or Funky Phantom at all. What year were they on TV?

Just fyi...I got my Thundarr set in yesterday and my son & I watched most of the first two discs. Picture quality ran from crystal clear to moderate but seemed to be clear for the majority of the time. Very glad to have this set.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 10-14-10 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-14-10, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
I would imagine that if your mother-in-law felt the movie was worth $20 or $25 to begin with, she would be satisfied with the audio and video quality of the disc. I've had no problems with any of the Warner Archive titles I've bought and there's no difference in audio and video quality between them and comparable mid-level catalogue pressed titles of similar vintage.

I think that most people who object to a DVD-R have no experience with Archive or the other titles from other studios and are basing their objection either on general principles or on a bad experience they may have had in the past with a black or grey-market DVD-R they bought off Ebay or at a trade show. Warner uses the best equipment and best source material available. These films look the best they are ever going to look. If you like or want the movie to begin with, and you think it's worth the cost (a big problem for me in most cases), you'll enjoy these titles.
I have never seen these and was wondering if they look like cheap DVD-R's. Would you really know that they were burnt discs if somebody didn't tell you.
I accidentally get a bootleg of ebay. It looks identical to the original release and plays great.

Does anyone really know these are inferior or are they just supposing the quality and longevity of the discs is sub-part because they are DVD-Rs. The speculation is that they won't last as long, but does anybody really know? I think it is more the thought that we think they are inferior. Until somebody shows me differently, I will give WB the benefit of the doubt.

Personally I have only seen two or three titles (besides the new batch of animated ones) that I would really be interested in. Like most I would never blind buy one or purchase it unless I knew I would like it (because of the price), but really that should be my philosophy on all my DVD purchases. If not for this bargain forum and all the clearnce stuff at Big Lots, Amazon Mkt place and such, how many DVDs would most of us own. Probably at least 50% less.

At least some of these things are available and for those that really want it, I think it's a good thing.
Old 10-14-10, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I have never seen these and was wondering if they look like cheap DVD-R's. Would you really know that they were burnt discs if somebody didn't tell you.
I accidentally get a bootleg of ebay. It looks identical to the original release and plays great.

Does anyone really know these are inferior or are they just supposing the quality and longevity of the discs is sub-part because they are DVD-Rs. The speculation is that they won't last as long, but does anybody really know? I think it is more the thought that we think they are inferior. Until somebody shows me differently, I will give WB the benefit of the doubt.
I've watched about a half dozen of these, movies like El Condor, One on One, They Only Kill Their Masters, and Any Wednesday. We are talking about films from the 50s through the 70s. The picture and sound quality is comparable to what you will get for standard pressed releases of that era. Of course, if you get a remastered special edition of a top end catalogue release, it's going to look better than these movies. But if you compare them to the majority of the studio title standard catalogue releases of this era, they look the same. And they look a whole lot better than the public domain titles I have gotten from second rate outfits.

Maybe they won't last as long as pressed DVDs. But I've got VHS tapes that were made in the early 1980s that are still watchable. I'll take my chances with what Warner and the other major studios do.

The price is a big stumbling point for me, which is why I've only bought a handful of titles during their rare sales when they are about 50% off. These movies are not worth $20 to me, but that's because of the quality of the movie and a lack of special features, not the quality of the disc.
Old 10-15-10, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Nice covers!
Old 10-16-10, 12:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I don't remember Goober & the Ghost Chasers or Funky Phantom at all. What year were they on TV?

Just fyi...I got my Thundarr set in yesterday and my son & I watched most of the first two discs. Picture quality ran from crystal clear to moderate but seemed to be clear for the majority of the time. Very glad to have this set.
FUNKY PHANTOM ran on ABC in the early 1970's. What makes this cartoon stand out is the Funky Phantom talks like a gay stereo type. The voice may have been done by the same guy who did SNAGGLE PUSS since they sound very much alike. Now you take that voice and his colonial outfit and you know no way FUNKY PHANTOM gets made today.
Old 10-16-10, 08:14 PM

These latest four releases would all tank if released via regular retail, so they are a good example of shows that are seeing a release that otherwise never would. Only Addams Family, if timed with new media like a movie, would have an outside shot of doing ok.
Old 10-21-10, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by N8 Storm
These latest four releases would all tank if released via regular retail, so they are a good example of shows that are seeing a release that otherwise never would. Only Addams Family, if timed with new media like a movie, would have an outside shot of doing ok.
I feel Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space would do fine on DVD. Addams Family too. I would certainly buy them on DVD.

Anybody know if there's a top 10 best sellers list for MOD discs? I'd be curious to see what's selling and what's not.
Old 10-21-10, 09:06 PM

I was told by somebody that works in the DVD industry that the original Josie & the Pussycats bombed at retail.
Old 10-22-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, this is a cool idea.

I know it's not very good, but I'd probably buy the Pac-Man cartoon if it was ever released this way.
Old 10-23-10, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by N8 Storm
I was told by somebody that works in the DVD industry that the original Josie & the Pussycats bombed at retail.
That's interesting that you know someone in the DVD industry and talked about Josie specifically, so I won't debate your info.

I don't know what the expectations are for these kind of releases. I can say I bought 2 copies of Josie myself. My first copy got damaged and I had to replace it. I love the show. Even picked up the limited Rhino release of the soundtrack.
Old 10-23-10, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was impressed with the case and glossy labels of the Thundarr the Barbarian set.
The menus are a bit basic and no extras. The purple burned media worries me a bit.
The picture and sound quality of the episodes themselves is good.
Old 10-23-10, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pizza
That's interesting that you know someone in the DVD industry and talked about Josie specifically, so I won't debate your info.

I don't know what the expectations are for these kind of releases. I can say I bought 2 copies of Josie myself. My first copy got damaged and I had to replace it. I love the show. Even picked up the limited Rhino release of the soundtrack.
I was talking to a guy online that worked at BCI and had seen industry numbers. We were talking about female lead kids shows and their tendency to do poorly (if they aren't something like Barbie). He sited Josie on a couple occassions as an example of a female lead show that did poorly. One quote from 2008 I found from him on retro shows:

Depends on the cartoon.

Looney Tunes sells real well.

The Hanna Barbara stuff is mixed. Scooby sells great, Josie and Pussycats died on the shelf.

Transformers, He-Man, TMNT, Superfriends and Thundercats did very well.

Voltron started well, but has had HUGE drops on each subsequent set.

GI Joe, Jem and She-Ra underperformed.

Archies did really poorly.

COPS, Inspector Gadget and Galaxy High totally tanked.

The rest of the Filmation stuff has been a mixed bag.
Transformers and G.I. Joe are in reference to the Rhino sets.
Old 10-23-10, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
I was impressed with the case and glossy labels of the Thundarr the Barbarian set.
The menus are a bit basic and no extras. The purple burned media worries me a bit.
The picture and sound quality of the episodes themselves is good.
Good to know. When the moment strikes (likely a coupon too good to pass up), I'll take the plunge. LOVE that show.
Old 10-24-10, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard about Thundarr on Friday. I've been wanting that for a while and immediately ordered it. Hope it's good quality, this is my first Warner Archive title.
Old 10-25-10, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I still think they expect stuff to sell too fast- a bunch of those 'poor sellers' have been on my to-get list, but I can't buy them all right away- I've still got tons of this stuff I haven't WATCHED yet too! I was eventually going to get Josie and the Pussycats, snagged it when it showed up at Big Lots for 3 bucks but would've paid more for it if it hadn't shown up there.
Old 10-25-10, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
Pirates Of Darkwater will be released next week. The 4-Disc Set will cost $19.95, which is probably the most reasonable price I've seen these manufactured-on-demand sets at, I might actually get these then. If anything, I'll just wait until they've released several that I want and then get 'em all at once so I don't have to pay the ridiculous shipping ($5) per item.
Kind of surprised to see that. I don't think I ever saw how the show ended. For a long time when I watching this show on the air, it would be the same 5-7 episodes over and over.

Wouldn't mind picking that up.

MAELSTROM!!
Old 10-25-10, 10:56 PM

The Dukes of Hazzard cartoon is coming out Nov. 30th:
http://www.superheroes-r-us.com/2010...n-in-november/
Old 10-26-10, 05:53 AM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Kind of surprised to see that. I don't think I ever saw how the show ended. For a long time when I watching this show on the air, it would be the same 5-7 episodes over and over.

MAELSTROM!!
A LOT of Stations do this! Instead of showing the entire Series, with the Episodes in proper running order, they show only a handful fo episodes and run them to the point where they're beyond STALE! About ten years ago I began questioning WHY was I PAYING someone for the "privilege" of watching it, and four years ago I gave up and "Cut The Cord", reallowcating my money to purchase DVDs.
Old 11-09-10, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Wow, this is a cool idea.

I know it's not very good, but I'd probably buy the Pac-Man cartoon if it was ever released this way.
From the hints they've given, I think Pac-Man is most likely coming in February of next year.

Speed Buggy in early 2011:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Spe...-Planned/14674
Old 11-11-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Warner Archive has 30% off today for Veteran's Day, and there's also a coupon you can use for an extra $5 off. Check the DVD deals on this site for more info...
Old 11-14-10, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Josie & the Pussycats! Cool
Where's the Lone Ranger!!
Old 11-14-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I will be buying Speed Buggy for sure. I watched that all the time when I was a kid.
Old 11-14-10, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JOE29
Josie & the Pussycats! Cool
Where's the Lone Ranger!!
BCI put out a 2 volume collection of the Filmation Zorro/Lone Ranger series a few years ago.

Unless that's not the specific Lone Ranger cartoon you're thinking of.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.