DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Has anyone tried the DVD/Blu "trade in" at Amazon? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/578363-has-anyone-tried-dvd-blu-trade-amazon.html)

nothingfails 08-24-10 03:21 PM

Has anyone tried the DVD/Blu "trade in" at Amazon?

Not sure what section this belongs in, so feel free to move it accordingly.

I recently bought a Blu-Ray player and want to start unloading some of my DVD's that are either out or coming soon on BD. Don't have the patience for ebay and FYE can be rather cheap (they paid $1.25 for the 2-disc Sex And The City Movie off me, then turned around and put a $14.99 sticker on it... what gives? They could've given me at least $3 if they were going to charge $15 used on it) but I see Amazon offering some decent prices if you trade in (with shipping on them) many of your titles you no longer want. While some of their big box sets are ridiculously low, for a lot of movies and music titles, their prices are very much up the alley I would expect to get.

What I'm curious about is 1. have you had luck doing it? and 2. how long does it take to get the online giftcard you get for the titles you sold back?

jjcool 08-24-10 04:00 PM

Re: Has anyone tried the DVD/Blu "trade in" at Amazon?

I have not done this, but I have been eyeing the warner dvd2blu program for a little bit. I think I would rather do the Warner one than amazon, because you get the blu version of whatever you trade in, for a small fee.

miller_time22 08-24-10 04:13 PM

I've used this a couple of times now. If you are okay with their pricing, the program itself works fine. You just print off a shipping label, take it to the post office or UPS and wait for your gift card to show up in your account. Based on my experience, it usually takes between 2-3 weeks after you send something off before your gift card balance will appear. Also, it doesn't cost anything to ship as long as you have a box and packing materials. The label you print out allows you to track the package through Amazon's website so you can have an idea of when it gets there (I think it ends up in New Hampshire). Overall, I think it's pretty decent with the caveats that the prices aren't as good as they would be if you sold them yourself via ebay and that you receive Amazon gift certificate value rather than cash.

Recent trade-in's have helped me fund the Alien Anthology and Back to the Future blu-ray sets coming in October, so that's good too. :)

OldBoy 08-24-10 04:26 PM

wow! those trade-in prices are criminal.

critterdvd 08-24-10 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 10337210)
wow! those trade-in prices are criminal.

I agree! Your bound to make twice if not three times the money if you have the patience to sit and list them individually through Amazon marketplace (not to mention you get cash instead of gift cards)...

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 08-24-10 05:44 PM

You'd be about the same if you just went to a pawn shop and sold your stuff. Either way it's a rip-off and you could make more just doing a listing at amazon for whatever would make you the lowest price.

GreenVulture 08-25-10 02:52 AM

Any cash I would have made from individually selling my DVDs would eventually go back to Amazon anyways since they sell damn near everything, so I like the certificates.

And I sure as hell don't have the time or the patience to individually list and monitor hundreds of DVDs on Amazon, where a lot of my discs would be competing with dozens of other copies of the same title. Nor do I want to buy a bunch of packaging material or give a chunk of whatever profit I can eek out to Amazon or deal with potential headaches like lost packages, returns or customer complaints.

I've sent in a lot of DVDs to Amazon, and yeah, their prices are not the best, but the hassle-free tradeoff is worth it to me. In the end, I just want to get rid of the damn things, and whatever Amazon doesn't take gets donated to the public library.

DerangedHermit 08-25-10 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by miller_time22 (Post 10337178)
I've used this a couple of times now. If you are okay with their pricing, the program itself works fine. You just print off a shipping label, take it to the post office or UPS and wait for your gift card to show up in your account. Based on my experience, it usually takes between 2-3 weeks after you send something off before your gift card balance will appear. Also, it doesn't cost anything to ship as long as you have a box and packing materials. The label you print out allows you to track the package through Amazon's website so you can have an idea of when it gets there (I think it ends up in New Hampshire). Overall, I think it's pretty decent with the caveats that the prices aren't as good as they would be if you sold them yourself via ebay and that you receive Amazon gift certificate value rather than cash.

Recent trade-in's have helped me fund the Alien Anthology and Back to the Future blu-ray sets coming in October, so that's good too. :)

I've had some trade-in GCs appear as soon as two days.

Trevor 08-25-10 08:30 AM

I could see doing this for some titles as it would be a lot less hassle than individually listing them and dealing with possible devious buyers.

miller_time22 08-25-10 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by DerangedHermit (Post 10338088)
I've had some trade-in GCs appear as soon as two days.

That's awesome. I also typically send my stuff in via USPS as opposed to UPS, so that may make a difference in how quickly it gets there. They seem to credit you pretty quickly after the stuff is received.