DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Laserdiscs that haven't made it to DVD or Blu-Ray yet (or LDs that are way better) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/577737-laserdiscs-havent-made-dvd-blu-ray-yet-lds-way-better.html)

cynthia 08-09-10 05:51 AM

Laserdiscs that haven't made it to DVD or Blu-Ray yet (or LDs that are way better)

There used to be a list like this but it hasn't been updated in years. I like to keep a list for when I'm out thrifting.

What laserdiscs haven't made it to DVD or Blu-Ray yet (please note if it's available on DVD in another region) Or which ones have amazing extra material that didn't get transferred to Blu-Ray? They can be Japanese LDs too, since those are NTSC.

Let's make a list! Lists are fun.

matome 08-09-10 07:39 AM

Re: Laserdiscs that haven't made it to DVD or Blu-Ray yet (or LDs that are way better

Still waiting to upgrade my Beastmaster 2 laserdisc!

Regulus 08-09-10 09:37 AM

Re: Laserdiscs that haven't made it to DVD or Blu-Ray yet (or LDs that are way better

Song of the South! They released that on laserdisk in the 1980s, but is hasn't been seen since. (Except on "Bootlegs")rotfl

Giles 08-09-10 09:40 AM

I ain't holding my breath for MGM to ever release this, but I really really want Ken Russell's The Boyfriend. Also the Disney/Miramax release of Sarafina! is the longer R-rated cut of the film, which I think wasn't released on DVD as such. I don't know who owns the rights to Prospero's Books but the laserdisc was released by Fox - come on Criterion give us US Peter Greenaway fans some of his films on DVD and bluray - pretty please??

rw2516 08-09-10 02:15 PM

Futureworld
Texas Across The River
Burn Witch Burn

djskyler 08-09-10 06:01 PM

Betty Boop: The Definitive Collection
Dr. X
Island of Lost Souls
Let It Be
MGM Cartoon Classics: Happy Harmonies
Up the Creek
Wheeler & Woolsey comedies:
Diplomaniacs
Hips, Hips, Hooray!
Mummy's Boys
Peach O'Reno
The Rainmakers
Sillie Billies

dx23 08-09-10 06:16 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DeutwC_pLZ...rred_front.jpg

man*machine 08-09-10 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 10312056)
I ain't holding my breath for MGM to ever release this, but I really really want Ken Russell's The Boyfriend.

Warner Brothers owns this now.

Disc-Flipper 08-09-10 06:58 PM

Dungeonmaster

Texan26 08-09-10 08:05 PM

Scream (Director's Cut) A region 1 version.

AJW 08-09-10 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by matome (Post 10311906)
Still waiting to upgrade my Beastmaster 2 laserdisc!

I want my B2: Through The Portal Of Time DVD too!

TheBang 08-09-10 08:36 PM

Dead Poets' Society extended edition.

johnglad 08-10-10 10:54 AM

27th Day

dvd-4-life 08-10-10 03:09 PM

TimeCop dts LD
Mimic dts LD
both superior sound to their dvd counterparts

dvd-4-life 08-10-10 03:11 PM

APEX
The Borrower
don't think they've made it to dvd

A-aron 08-10-10 04:38 PM

Sing

Pizza 08-10-10 06:46 PM

Unaltered Disney classics like Roger Rabbit, The Rescuers and The Lion King that still have the hidden stuff in them.
Also: I Come in Peace
The Family Dog pilot that was on Amazing Stories
Giorgio Moroder's Metropolis

xage 08-11-10 09:34 AM

Inner Sanctum 1 & 2

OldBoy 08-11-10 11:28 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...VD/TheGame.jpg

ScottsdaleSaint 08-11-10 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 10316244)

First, last, and only...can't believe after all of this time, all we have is the barebones issue, especially when something like Panic Room (hey, I like it, but c'mon!!!) has a friggin' three disc set.

TRAVESTY.

Kenshiro 08-11-10 12:13 PM

I'm still holding on to my dts LD of Strange Days.

Funny, I figured after Bigelow won the Oscar this would've got a release date for Blu.

Quatermass 08-11-10 12:45 PM

I only saw LDs at a thrift store one time and they were mixed in with the Vinyl LPs by mistake marked 45 cents each. I got "Revolution" with Al Pacino and a Fred Astaire movie even though I have never owned a Laser Disc player. Revolution is still not on DVD in it's original form, only in a "Revisited" version. I saw the original on VHS back in the 80's only because it had Nastassja Kinski in it. It seems like there should be more LDs around but I guess the people that bought them were/are cinephiles and probably hung onto them.

dvd-4-life 08-11-10 06:23 PM

Most(if not all) of the Pioneer Music LDs were exclusive to laserdisc(watching Tina Turner right now).

mythmaker18 08-11-10 10:32 PM

V and V: The Final Battle are on laser in their original 4:3 television ratios, while the DVD versions are cropped/MARred to 16x9 (even if the first mini's cropping was sanctioned by Ken Johnson). The LDs are the best-quality version released in their OAR (the VHS releases were also OAR).

smurr05 08-12-10 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by ScottsdaleSaint (Post 10316298)
First, last, and only...can't believe after all of this time, all we have is the barebones issue, especially when something like Panic Room (hey, I like it, but c'mon!!!) has a friggin' three disc set.

TRAVESTY.

Absolutely 100% AGREE!!!

smurr05 08-12-10 04:50 PM

I watched the Warner DVD of 'Blow-Up' this am but felt that the old Criterion Laserdisc was much better especially in the special features department-

Falc04 08-12-10 07:13 PM

Three LDs that are WAY better on laser then their present DVD counterparts:

The Alamo (John Wayne's one) - 212 minute LD roadshow version vs. 162 minute DVD general release version

1776 - 180 minute LD restored version vs. 142 minute DVD "directors cut" version

Jet Pilot (1949 John Wayne film) - Proper 4:3 aspect ratio LD version vs. cropped 1.1:85 DVD version

Pizza 08-12-10 08:07 PM

Lost Horizon, the musical. The world is a circle...

mapasu 08-13-10 04:43 PM

The Keep (1983)

Giles 08-13-10 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Falc04 (Post 10319227)
Three LDs that are WAY better on laser then their present DVD counterparts:

The Alamo (John Wayne's one) - 212 minute LD roadshow version vs. 162 minute DVD general release version

1776 - 180 minute LD restored version vs. 142 minute DVD "directors cut" version

Jet Pilot (1949 John Wayne film) - Proper 4:3 aspect ratio LD version vs. cropped 1.1:85 DVD version

supposedly a new restored version is in the works, for both theatrical rerelease and home video release (DVD/bluray)

mike7162 08-14-10 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Pizza (Post 10319289)
Lost Horizon, the musical. The world is a circle...

I thought I was the world's only fan of this film! "Question me an answer..."

JJE-187 08-14-10 12:35 AM

Cool As Ice

dhmac 08-15-10 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 10316244)

My mind-reading skills are a bit lacking these days, so the differences between the LD release of The Game and the DVD (etc.) releases are what exactly?

Kenshiro 08-15-10 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 10323078)
My mind-reading skills are a bit lacking these days, so the differences between the LD release of The Game and the DVD (etc.) releases are what exactly?

Criterion actually released a version of this film on LD, which differs from the version pictured in the post above.

I think Universal holds the rights to it, the DVD that's been in circulation for 10-11? years in Region 1 is a barebones release.

Here's the rundown of what is listed on the back cover of the Criterion LD and a pic of the box.

This Director Approved special edition features:

* New widescreen (2.35:1) digital transfer supervised by director David Fincher
* New Dolby Digital® discrete 5.1 channel surround sound mix supervised by sound designer Ren Klyce, optimized for home theater viewing
* Screen-specific audio commentary by David Fincher, actor Michael Douglas, screenwriters John Brancato and Michael Ferris, digital animation supervisor Richard "Dr." Baily, production designer Jeffrey Beecroft, visual effects supervisor Kevin Haug, visual effects producer Robyn D'Arcy and director of photography Harris Savides
* Behind the scenes footage shot exclusively for the Criterion Collection special edition
* Storyboards and production design drawings
* Alternate ending
* The original widescreen theatrical trailer and teaser trailer
* Psychological test film

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3073/img6521c.jpg

DiscGuy 09-02-10 11:11 AM

Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean
Looking For Mr. Goodbar (Music rights probably prohibiting DVD release)
FutureWorld (mentioned earlier)

Goodbye, Columbus (the DVD was edited down to a PG rating)
Seven Percent Solution (released on DVD but so rare you'll never see it)
Heartbreak Kid (1972) (released on DVD but rare, rare, rare!)
Sleuth (1972) (released on DVD but way too rare!)

Didn't they change the music on Universal's DVDs of Electric Horseman and Heroes (Sally Field, Henry Winkler)?

That'sAllFolks 09-02-10 01:46 PM

At one time I thought I would pick up a cheap LD player, but never did.

I own:
Bambi
King Kong Criterion
Steven Wright - I have a Pony -- just noticed this was released as a CD/DVD combo, so I really did waste my money!

Mabuse 09-02-10 01:58 PM

Criterion Laserdiscs of:

Magnificent Ambersons
Showboat (1930's version)
David Holzman's Diary

OldBoy 09-02-10 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kenshiro (Post 10323434)
Criterion actually released a version of this film on LD, which differs from the version pictured in the post above.

I think Universal holds the rights to it, the DVD that's been in circulation for 10-11? years in Region 1 is a barebones release.

fixed my original post. thanks.

Alan Smithee 09-03-10 05:10 AM

Looking For Mr. Goodbar has been on a number of streaming services (including Netflix) with a new 16x9 transfer. I'd buy a new disc of it instantly if they'd bother putting one out.

zyzzle 09-05-10 01:09 AM

THX-1138 The orignal, unaltered cut!
COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT (1970)-- LD is Panavision, DVD is butchered 1.33:1
FAIR GAME .. LD is Panavision, DVD is 1.33:1
THE LIFT (de LIFT) 1983-- The Dick Mass, Dutch "killer elevator" film. The remake, DOWN (2001) *is* on DVD, but as a butchered 1.33:1 release called THE SHAFT.
AMSTERDAMMED -- Another great Dick Mass film.
THE PLAGUE (le peste) 1993 A wonderful filmed version of Camus' masterpiece