DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Laserdiscs that haven't made it to DVD or Blu-Ray yet (or LDs that are way better) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/577737-laserdiscs-havent-made-dvd-blu-ray-yet-lds-way-better.html)

smurr05 08-12-10 04:50 PM

Re: Laserdiscs that haven't made it to DVD or Blu-Ray yet (or LDs that are way better

I watched the Warner DVD of 'Blow-Up' this am but felt that the old Criterion Laserdisc was much better especially in the special features department-

Falc04 08-12-10 07:13 PM

Re: Laserdiscs that haven't made it to DVD or Blu-Ray yet (or LDs that are way better

Three LDs that are WAY better on laser then their present DVD counterparts:

The Alamo (John Wayne's one) - 212 minute LD roadshow version vs. 162 minute DVD general release version

1776 - 180 minute LD restored version vs. 142 minute DVD "directors cut" version

Jet Pilot (1949 John Wayne film) - Proper 4:3 aspect ratio LD version vs. cropped 1.1:85 DVD version

Pizza 08-12-10 08:07 PM

Lost Horizon, the musical. The world is a circle...

mapasu 08-13-10 04:43 PM

The Keep (1983)

Giles 08-13-10 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Falc04 (Post 10319227)
Three LDs that are WAY better on laser then their present DVD counterparts:

The Alamo (John Wayne's one) - 212 minute LD roadshow version vs. 162 minute DVD general release version

1776 - 180 minute LD restored version vs. 142 minute DVD "directors cut" version

Jet Pilot (1949 John Wayne film) - Proper 4:3 aspect ratio LD version vs. cropped 1.1:85 DVD version

supposedly a new restored version is in the works, for both theatrical rerelease and home video release (DVD/bluray)

mike7162 08-14-10 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Pizza (Post 10319289)
Lost Horizon, the musical. The world is a circle...

I thought I was the world's only fan of this film! "Question me an answer..."

JJE-187 08-14-10 12:35 AM

Cool As Ice

dhmac 08-15-10 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 10316244)

My mind-reading skills are a bit lacking these days, so the differences between the LD release of The Game and the DVD (etc.) releases are what exactly?

Kenshiro 08-15-10 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 10323078)
My mind-reading skills are a bit lacking these days, so the differences between the LD release of The Game and the DVD (etc.) releases are what exactly?

Criterion actually released a version of this film on LD, which differs from the version pictured in the post above.

I think Universal holds the rights to it, the DVD that's been in circulation for 10-11? years in Region 1 is a barebones release.

Here's the rundown of what is listed on the back cover of the Criterion LD and a pic of the box.

This Director Approved special edition features:

* New widescreen (2.35:1) digital transfer supervised by director David Fincher
* New Dolby Digital® discrete 5.1 channel surround sound mix supervised by sound designer Ren Klyce, optimized for home theater viewing
* Screen-specific audio commentary by David Fincher, actor Michael Douglas, screenwriters John Brancato and Michael Ferris, digital animation supervisor Richard "Dr." Baily, production designer Jeffrey Beecroft, visual effects supervisor Kevin Haug, visual effects producer Robyn D'Arcy and director of photography Harris Savides
* Behind the scenes footage shot exclusively for the Criterion Collection special edition
* Storyboards and production design drawings
* Alternate ending
* The original widescreen theatrical trailer and teaser trailer
* Psychological test film

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3073/img6521c.jpg

DiscGuy 09-02-10 11:11 AM

Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean
Looking For Mr. Goodbar (Music rights probably prohibiting DVD release)
FutureWorld (mentioned earlier)

Goodbye, Columbus (the DVD was edited down to a PG rating)
Seven Percent Solution (released on DVD but so rare you'll never see it)
Heartbreak Kid (1972) (released on DVD but rare, rare, rare!)
Sleuth (1972) (released on DVD but way too rare!)

Didn't they change the music on Universal's DVDs of Electric Horseman and Heroes (Sally Field, Henry Winkler)?

That'sAllFolks 09-02-10 01:46 PM

At one time I thought I would pick up a cheap LD player, but never did.

I own:
Bambi
King Kong Criterion
Steven Wright - I have a Pony -- just noticed this was released as a CD/DVD combo, so I really did waste my money!

Mabuse 09-02-10 01:58 PM

Criterion Laserdiscs of:

Magnificent Ambersons
Showboat (1930's version)
David Holzman's Diary

OldBoy 09-02-10 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kenshiro (Post 10323434)
Criterion actually released a version of this film on LD, which differs from the version pictured in the post above.

I think Universal holds the rights to it, the DVD that's been in circulation for 10-11? years in Region 1 is a barebones release.

fixed my original post. thanks.

Alan Smithee 09-03-10 05:10 AM

Looking For Mr. Goodbar has been on a number of streaming services (including Netflix) with a new 16x9 transfer. I'd buy a new disc of it instantly if they'd bother putting one out.

zyzzle 09-05-10 01:09 AM

THX-1138 The orignal, unaltered cut!
COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT (1970)-- LD is Panavision, DVD is butchered 1.33:1
FAIR GAME .. LD is Panavision, DVD is 1.33:1
THE LIFT (de LIFT) 1983-- The Dick Mass, Dutch "killer elevator" film. The remake, DOWN (2001) *is* on DVD, but as a butchered 1.33:1 release called THE SHAFT.
AMSTERDAMMED -- Another great Dick Mass film.
THE PLAGUE (le peste) 1993 A wonderful filmed version of Camus' masterpiece

Nicholas Vargo 09-05-10 01:26 AM

Wow! 41 posts and I'm surprised that there's not one mention of The Fisher King yet. Supposedly, that's a loaded Criterion LD with commentary, deleted scenes and the trailer. And yet, the DVD is a barebones affair with some random trailers and not one trailer for the film itself.

When will Sony reissue it in a proper special edition?

I also might want to put in a vote for The Adventures of Baron Munchausen's Criterion LD but the only problem there is that the 20th Anniversary Edition that Sony released on DVD and Blu-Ray might actually be better (thanks to the terrific new documentary enclosed in the package) but that's debatable too.

laseca 09-06-10 03:19 AM

Colossus: The Forbin Project in Widescreen for R1.

We only have the P&S version. Luckily I have a copy of the widescreen version on laserdisc that I won't part with.

slowcloud 09-06-10 05:48 AM

The Lacemaker, the 1977 film that supposedly launched the career of Isabelle Huppert, never made it to DVD. It was a Criterion disc.

If anyone's interested, I have just decided to put it up for sale on ebay along with other Criterion LDs (one that was already mentioned on this list is there: The Magnificent Ambersons):
http://shop.ebay.com/slowcloud/m.htm..._from=&_ipg=25

laserdogg 09-06-10 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by DiscGuy (Post 10351960)
Goodbye, Columbus (the DVD was edited down to a PG rating)
Seven Percent Solution (released on DVD but so rare you'll never see it)
Heartbreak Kid (1972) (released on DVD but rare, rare, rare!)
Sleuth (1972) (released on DVD but way too rare!)

I've got all of these, bought when they were in print - there were 2 releases of Heartbreak and Sleuth and I've seen both at places like Half Price Books and Hastings...in fact Hastings was where I found the re-release of Sleuth for $7.98