DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Blu Ray/Dvd combo packs...WHY???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-10, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts
Re: Blu Ray/Dvd combo packs...WHY???

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I remember waiting over a year for the Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country VHS to drop below $100.00. The times have certainly changed!
There was this weird Music/Movie Store that changed ownership/name 5 or so times just down the street from me. And they had a copy of American Gothic for $100 for the longest time.

And when I went to their final closing sale they had it in a half price bin, I took it up to the register and tried to get the guy to give it to me cheaper but he claimed there was nothing he could do.

I did leave with a $10 VHS copy of Judge Dredd though.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 08-03-10 at 02:06 AM.
Old 08-03-10, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I got American Gothic on laserdisc for $4.99 at Incredible Universe
You could get Star Trek VI on laserdisc for less than $100 right away too. But they were all the crappy 'home video verson'.
Old 08-04-10, 06:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay now you folks have shed a little more light on the subject. Thanks for your views.
Old 08-10-10, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I do not mind as I bought Avatar and I am the only one here that has a blu-ray while others can use the DVD, portable dvd players, other parts of the house etc..

I will not pay much more for them, if I can pick of the Blu-Ray for ten dollars and the combo is fifteen I would just go with the blu-ray.
Old 11-30-10, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that I've finally got a Blu Ray system, I like the combo packs. If I want to watch on a different set or iin the RV, I use the regular DVD.
Is there a list of combo titles available?
Old 11-30-10, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm sure there are multiple threads where you can find a list of Blu-ray/DVD combo packs. I hate the flipper discs; I'd hoped we were finally out of that era. My wife is pissed she has to buy such a thing to get the bonus material for the new Twilight movie. I personally would rather have a Digital Copy than a DVD; for portability it's far more convenient for me to watch on my laptop without needing to also carry around DVDs.
Old 11-30-10, 10:03 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I got frustrated last Christmas when I got the blu-ray/dvd combo of Up only to find all the special features were on the blu-ray and not the DVD so I returned it and exchanged it.
Old 11-30-10, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica
I got frustrated last Christmas when I got the blu-ray/dvd combo of Up only to find all the special features were on the blu-ray and not the DVD so I returned it and exchanged it.
I haven't popped in the DVD except to play the commentary track one night in the bedroom. The package says it includes "DVD features," though, so 1) that should have keyed you in that not all the bonus content was the same and 2) now I wonder what constitutes "DVD features."
Old 03-19-12, 01:24 PM

I think it is useless for some of us and wish they would stop it. I have dvds, ok. I have now in my collection 10 blu rays. I will replace all of my dvds with blu rays as soon as i get a settlement from a accident case. So if i'm trying to convert and replace my dvds, what the heck would i do with a dvd in a blu ray case?...I mean seriously. It will just collect dust and i think i'm paying more for two discs that i will never use, the other being the digital copy one.

I have no use for the digital copy disc too, i don't do stuff like that, like some people who have two much time on their hands with these stupid inventions or ways. That one is pointless for me. I don't nor would i want to watch movies on a lap top or portable device. I believe a movie's purpose is to be viewed at home on a widescreen tv with surround sound and a couch with popcorn and a drink.
Old 03-19-12, 01:46 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I can see where someone with multiple DVD/Blu-Ray players might find these combo packs useful, but for someone (like me) who has only one DVD player, and whose entire library is standard DVD, the combo packs are pretty much useless and an unnecessary additional expense where the blu-ray would just sit somewhere collecting dust. I'd rather have a 2-Disc SE DVD than muck about with a DVD/Blu-Ray combo pack.

Seems to me we've had this discussion before, in another thread... -kd5-
Old 03-19-12, 02:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

The days of there being retail shelf space for three or more versions of every release are long over. I guess their research shows that these combo packs are the best compromise.

I don't mind them at all. I prefer BD, but have plenty of uses for DVDs still (gifts, watching on portable players, watching at the 80% of friend's homes that only have DVD, etc.)
Old 03-19-12, 03:32 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Keep one for yourself and give the other to a friend!
Old 03-19-12, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why not?

I will buy for the BD, but it's nice to have the DVD as well. It always gives me an excuse to sell the older DVD that I'm upgrading, knowing I have both formats, just in case ..
Old 03-19-12, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chadergeist
It will just collect dust
Given that they're in the same case I doubt the Blu-ray will gather any more dust than the DVD.

I believe a movie's purpose is to be viewed at home on a widescreen tv with surround sound and a couch with popcorn and a drink.
A movie's purpose is to be viewed in a movie theater on the big screen.

But to your point about digital copies, I've tried but the airlines won't let me bring my 50-inch HDTV onto airplanes, so sometimes I do end up watching movies on my iPad.

Originally Posted by kd5
Seems to me we've had this discussion before, in another thread... -kd5-
We have, in this thread more than a year ago. God knows why it was brought back from the dead.
Old 03-20-12, 07:00 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
We have, in this thread more than a year ago. God knows why it was brought back from the dead.
There was another thread about this because I posted in it, however long ago it was. -kd5-
Old 03-20-12, 07:06 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/59...-you-care.html

Wasn't that long ago. -kd5-
Old 03-26-12, 04:32 AM

I like the combo packs, because a) I still don't own a BR player other than my laptop drive, and b) the prices on the combos I've seen lately aren't much more than a new retail DVD.

I own 2 BR discs at the moment: Star Trek, which I bought thinking it was a combo but it was just the BR, and HP & Deathly Hallows 2, which I'm glad came in a combo because that series would be one of the first that I will upgrade once I start thinking that way. So I'm glad for this transition period where I won't have to double-dip for new titles that are worth buying.
Old 03-26-12, 07:16 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Complaining about combo packs because you personally don't use them is as pointless as complaining about grocery stores selling items that you don't like.

They sell them this way because they make more money. It's a solid business decision, and most of us can find or at least see the advantage in owning two versions.
Old 03-26-12, 07:55 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

My only complaint is that they stopped making SE/CE DVDs, may or may not have anything to do with the advent of combo packs, I don't know. I wish they could do both. Other than that, people can spend their money any way they want to, doesn't affect me other than the potential correlation with my concern.

Shifting priorities?

For some, taking away their predilection for complaining would be tantamount to a fate worse than death... -kd5-
Old 03-26-12, 09:02 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

The content that used to be on the SE/CE releases are usually put on the blu-rays. Most studios figured that the people who care about the special features have probably moved on to blu-ray, so they stopped putting them on the dvds in most circumstances.

This has been discussed before. Maybe one of these threads should be stickyed so we don't have another new thread created asking the same thing in 2 months.
Old 03-26-12, 02:38 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flansered
Most studios figured that the people who care about the special features have probably moved on to blu-ray
As far as I'm concerned, they figured wrong. -kd5-
Old 03-26-12, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Why can't I get new movies on VHS anymore?
Old 03-27-12, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Complaining about combo packs because you personally don't use them is as pointless as complaining about grocery stores selling items that you don't like.
Well, yeah, anything can seem pointless when viewed through a pointless analogy. A more pointed analogy would be being upset because I just want to buy corned beef, but the only way I can get corned beef is by buying an equal amount of pastrami, which don't like & will never end up eating. And since I'm lactose intolerant, we can throw in Swiss cheese for an Ultraviolet metaphor if tackling the triple packs.

As far as I'm concerned, they figured wrong. -kd5-
I agree. For every Blu-ray with exclusive bonus content, there's plenty of Blu-rays that have gone the Superbit route of not porting over all the DVD bonus features.

Let us only hope Criterion doesn't start to release DVD/BD combos with a MSRP of $59.98.

I can live with a combo pack if I can get it cheap enough (like in the last DD Synapse sale). However, the combo packs I really hate, and are overpriced for someone just wanting the SD, are Sony's combo-only foreign releases. The Skin I Live In, Incendies, In A Better World, Winter In Wartime... I can rent the SD from the library or a rental service that splits apart the SD & BD discs, but I won't be buying any of those (unless they become overstocked/undersold enough to receive massive price drops). Way to go Sony.
Old 03-27-12, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

You can argue analogies, but this pretty much sums it up:

Originally Posted by Trevor
They sell them this way because they make more money. It's a solid business decision, and most of us can find or at least see the advantage in owning two versions.
And yes, this has been debated many times before, sometimes as part of the 2D SE DVD conversation, i.e., the "No X-Men First Class 2D SE DVD WTF?!" thread. No need to repeat the same points over and over.
Old 03-28-12, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
No need to repeat the same points over and over.
Okay, let's start a unique thread and see how long it lasts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.