Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Harry Potter Ultimate 3 & 4 - No Extended Editions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 04:55 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Harry Potter Ultimate 3 & 4 - No Extended Editions

Some people actually want "Extended Editions" of these? Each one is ridiculously ovlerong as it is. At least Cuaron made an actual effort to keep his, as a film, at a reasonable length. Books and movies are not the same. Never have been, never will be. They will never, ever suppose to be the same.
Old 07-21-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, a LOT Of people actually WANT "Extended Editions" of these movies. We also wanted ridiculously long versions of The LOTR and Blade Runner, and anything else that we love. Surprise! I actually feel like most of these movies would have benefited from more time to round out the story. Not a lot of ideas were fully flushed out, and most of the characters end up being paper thin because of it.
Old 07-21-10, 05:30 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by izatright
Yeah, a LOT Of people actually WANT "Extended Editions" of these movies. We also wanted ridiculously long versions of The LOTR and Blade Runner, and anything else that we love. Surprise! I actually feel like most of these movies would have benefited from more time to round out the story. Not a lot of ideas were fully flushed out, and most of the characters end up being paper thin because of it.

Chamber of Secrets was 2 1/2 goddamn hours long. How much longer than Apocalypse Now or Herzog's Aguirre: The Wrath of God should each of these children's flicks be to "do the story justice"?
Old 07-21-10, 09:28 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Eva Kaine
Chamber of Secrets was 2 1/2 goddamn hours long. How much longer than Apocalypse Now or Herzog's Aguirre: The Wrath of God should each of these children's flicks be to "do the story justice"?
Preach it!
Old 07-22-10, 08:00 AM
Banned

Thank YOU!
Old 07-22-10, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Honestly? 13-20 episode TV seasons for each book would have been about right in my book. Since we're not getting that, I'll take extended movie versions instead.
Old 07-22-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Honestly? 13-20 episode TV seasons for each book would have been about right in my book. Since we're not getting that, I'll take extended movie versions instead.
Not really on topic, but you mentioned the books. Have most of you read the books? I personally have not, though I have seen every movie, and have enjoyed them enough to have them in my collection.
Old 07-22-10, 12:38 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My problem with Prisoner of Azkaban is that Cuaron often went with whimsy at the expense of plot coherency and character consistency. He cut things that actually would have helped what was seen in the final product. In particular, the way he handled the Patronus climax and the overall characterization of Sirius Black was a mess. A mere 4-5 minutes added to the runtime would have been enough to solve most of the issues and still keep the movie under the 2 1/2 hour mark.

I think far too many people give Cuaron credit for "taking the series in a darker direction" when that change of tone was already taking place in the source text. I think he did a great job of capturing the essence of that tonal shift in his direction, but it's not enough for me to completely overlook his storytelling shortcomings.
Old 07-22-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I've read the books, and I eagerly look forward to Rowling's "encyclopedia" she's mentioned once or twice that expands on all the stories even more.
Old 07-22-10, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
My problem with Prisoner of Azkaban is that Cuaron often went with whimsy at the expense of plot coherency and character consistency. He cut things that actually would have helped what was seen in the final product. In particular, the way he handled the Patronus climax and the overall characterization of Sirius Black was a mess. A mere 4-5 minutes added to the runtime would have been enough to solve most of the issues and still keep the movie under the 2 1/2 hour mark.

I think far too many people give Cuaron credit for "taking the series in a darker direction" when that change of tone was already taking place in the source text. I think he did a great job of capturing the essence of that tonal shift in his direction, but it's not enough for me to completely overlook his storytelling shortcomings.
I agree 100% Azkaban was a clusterf**k of a movie for me until I read the actual book which explained things.

And children flicks? Maybe the first 3, but the rest are solid, more mature films. They all deserve some extension. Little things left out would help a great deal.
Old 07-22-10, 10:42 PM

POA is what actually got me into Potter. Even for a newcomer, I knew what was going on without problem.
Old 10-06-10, 12:28 PM

It could be 4 hours for all I care. The point is if you love the movie, you love the characters, story, music, etc. You want to see MORE of it. Many fans have probably seen the movie dozens if not hundreds of times. When you add new scenes we get a feeling of being able to watch it again for the first time. Which is why I'm really excited about the 16+ minutes of Avatar this November. I can watch that movie again and again. And it will be wonderful to see some new things happening, even if they don't add to the story. I just want to see more of the Navi ppl because I love the movie.
Old 10-06-10, 01:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Harry Potter Ultimate 3 & 4 - no Extended Editions

Originally Posted by JJE-187
I am holding out on any HP BR until like 18 months after Deathly Hallows comes out on BR so they can release the Ultimate Collecter's Set of all the films in a Nice Box Set then I will buy it
Absolutely agree with you on this one except I will buy SD set instead!