Reload this Page >

TCM Greatest Classic Films new releases

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TCM Greatest Classic Films new releases

Old 08-04-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts
Re: TCM Greatest Classic Films new releases

Just bumping this to see if anyone has purchased any of the more recent TCM Greatest Classic collections, such as:

Literary Romance
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UOHNCA/

Shakespeare
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UOHNB6/

Burt Lancaster
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UOHNAC/

Lucille Ball
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UOHNH0/

. . . and so on.

I've seen these in stores up here, and they weigh considerably more than their predecessors in this series, which suggests they now contain four discs as opposed to two (the Amazon listings say two). One Amazon review of the Shakespeare set reveals this to be the case, and with the discs stacked directly on top of one another on a single hub (not cool). But when I gently shake some of the ones in stores here, it sounds as if there's a tray of some kind wiggling inside. Thus I'm wondering if anyone has picked up the recent sets and knows if there are in fact two different types of case being used, one with a single hub that probably damages the discs, and another with a tray set-up that actually protects them.

I also noticed a couple of new "Four Film Favorites" collections (Charlton Heston, George Clooney, Classic Holiday Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, the newer Seagal Action set) on the weekend that also feel a lot heavier than their predecessors. Looks like Warner is simply stuffing these things with existing or remaindered stock now.

Thoughts?
Old 08-04-11, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wouldn't shock me if Warner is dumping remaindered stock. They've been letting quite a few titles slide out of print over the last year.
Old 08-04-11, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I'm wondering about some of the recent announcements: Four of the six Thin Man films, eight of the ten Astaire-Rogers. They could decide to discontinue the larger sets and let the remaining, less-popular films go to DOD.
Old 08-04-11, 07:00 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Astaire Rogers collection is slated for BD. It was said to be coming a while ago.
Old 08-04-11, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At least one of the film's in one of the newer Christmas-themed Four Film Favorites collections, THE SINGING NUN, just made it's Archive Debut in the past few days, "available on it's own for the first time by popular demand" according to their announcement email. It's not the first previously-released title to end up there, either. One can assume that a LOT of catalog titles previously available on DVD will be headed to MOD, and eventual streaming, in the months and years ahead, with last-hurrah appearances in Four Film Favorites or TCM Classic collections so Warner can unload their stockpiles of plastic.
Old 08-08-11, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by g
Astaire Rogers collection is slated for BD. It was said to be coming a while ago.
I heard about it a while back and I'd love to see it happen, but have they said anything about it recently? The catalog climate has been changing very quickly.
Old 08-08-11, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidh777
I heard about it a while back and I'd love to see it happen, but have they said anything about it recently? The catalog climate has been changing very quickly.
Warner, more than any other studio, is doing their level best to force users towards blu. I'm guessing they're still committted enough to release these. Personally, I could give a crap because the SD versions just look outstanding upconverted. I'm sure the blu will look better, but I just don't care.
Old 08-10-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
Warner, more than any other studio, is doing their level best to force users towards blu. I'm guessing they're still committted enough to release these. Personally, I could give a crap because the SD versions just look outstanding upconverted. I'm sure the blu will look better, but I just don't care.
I remember George Feltenstein being quoted on just how good these films looked in high def. I'd definitely be in 'cause I love the movies.
Old 08-10-11, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't seen that Lucille Ball set anywhere in the stores in Chicago and the burbs.
Old 01-05-12, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Doris Day:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006H37P5C/

Katherine Hepburn:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006H37P2K/