DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Sherlock Holmes dvds?? (Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/575752-sherlock-holmes-dvds-basil-rathbone-nigel-bruce.html)

pbishop69 06-27-10 08:56 PM

Sherlock Holmes dvds?? (Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce)

Hello Friends!!

I'm looking to purchase all 14 SHERLOCK HOLMES films starring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce.

I noticed at Amazon that there is a COMPLETE COLLECTION of all 14 films for about $106. by MPI (released in '06).

But I also noticed at Amazon that MPI released the 14 films in 3 separate volumes ($53 each) back in '03.

R these the same transfers? Which should I go for? I also read that somewhere on the COMPLETE COLLECTION that one of the films freezes-up. Anyone know anything about this? Please help. Thanks.

Pbishop69

albert_m 06-27-10 09:02 PM

Re: Sherlock Holmes dvds?? (Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce)

I believe the complete set is the same as the 3 film sets and individual releases. I have the complete set and several of the individual releases that I had picked up before the complete set came out. I don't recall any freeze. It's a nice set, though as much as I like the compact "book" box, it's an awkward set up the way it folds out.

I would look for a better price - you should be able to get that for a little better. I got mine at deepdiscount back then for cheaper (and it wasn't even during the semi annual sale)

JJE-187 06-27-10 09:37 PM

I beleive some of them were released re-mastered and colorized by Legend Films also. I plan on grtting those someday

marty888 06-27-10 11:33 PM

Here's a money-saving suggestion:

Step 1: Buy a player that can be very easily hacked to play DVDs from all regions - the Philips DVP 5990 can be had for about $50

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP599...7699467&sr=8-1

Step 2: Go to Amazon UK where the complete set will be about $30 shipped to the U.S.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sherlock-Hol...7699232&sr=1-3

Total cost about $80 and you now have a region-free player.

pbishop69 06-28-10 04:08 AM

Thanks for the info, guys!!

Also, did MPI change the packaging on this set? I read reviews over at Amazon saying the original packaging for this set was horrible. It was kinda book-like.

Then I read another review recently who said the set now comes in a thick keep case. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, people selling this set over at Ebay have a different photo listed than the one over at Amazon.

thanks,
Pbishop69

mdnitoil 06-28-10 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by pbishop69 (Post 10236180)
Thanks for the info, guys!!

Also, did MPI change the packaging on this set? I read reviews over at Amazon saying the original packaging for this set was horrible. It was kinda book-like.

Then I read another review recently who said the set now comes in a thick keep case. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, people selling this set over at Ebay have a different photo listed than the one over at Amazon.

thanks,
Pbishop69

The packaging had been changed to a massive keepcase. My version came in just such packaging. I can't say that I ever noticed a freezeup and my understanding was that the complete set included an additional commentary. If you can get it at a good price, it's a great set.

pbishop69 06-28-10 08:34 AM

Thanx so much for the confirmation, Mdnitoil!!

Pbishop69

davidh777 06-28-10 11:23 AM

There was a Gold Box deal of one Rathbone set or the big Brett set when the Robert Downey Jr. movie came out. Camelx3 would have the price it ran for.

rw2516 06-28-10 05:50 PM

The first MPI sets, 3 volumes-4 films each, only have the twelve Universal films. The first two(Hound of Baskervilles, Advs. Sherlock Holmes), which were produced by Fox were sold seperately by MPI. FYI in case anyone goes the three earlier volumes route.

AlwaysOAR 06-28-10 11:28 PM

I've always planned on getting the first two movies, "The Hound of the Baskervilles" & "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes". I've never seen the others however, and would have to first before getting them, as I had heard they weren't up to par with the first two, production and story wise anyway.

Scott

Jacqui 06-29-10 07:36 PM

I picked up the set at HMV for 18.00 when I was in the UK.

Not a bad bargain.

mdnitoil 06-30-10 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysOAR (Post 10237814)
I've always planned on getting the first two movies, "The Hound of the Baskervilles" & "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes". I've never seen the others however, and would have to first before getting them, as I had heard they weren't up to par with the first two, production and story wise anyway.

Scott

After the first two features, the rest of the series became typical bottom bill programmer material. Sets would be re-used and plots tended to stick to the formula. Not all that much different from a TV show, and like a TV show, if you like one episode you'll probably like them all.

pbishop69 06-30-10 09:49 AM

Just got my copy today from Amazon. Mine came in a single amaray keep case with the original artwork (posted over at Amazon). So it appears they've changed the packaging a few times now. Haven't opened it up yet though. Holding this single keep case in my hands, it's hard to believe I paid $106. for it. Hopefully it will be worth it. I've only seen HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES AND THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES so far and luved them. Hopefully the rest will be up to par.

Pbishop69

james2025a 06-30-10 10:21 AM

I have been a huge fan of this series of movies for a long time now and i bought the remastered DVDs when they got released a few years ago. The Adventures is one of the best in the series IMO. But i love them all. I actually started to get into the Jermey Brett series last year (after only ever catching snippets on TV whilst growing up) and i was suitably impressed. Good to see the Reichenbach Falls story being told.