Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any Try To Stop Collecting till your unwatched pile is finished?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-10, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes I can fight the urge to buy more DVDs. I have been collecting more TV Series Box sets at a time and I tell myself that I won't buy anymore tv shows at least till I finish watching all my unwatched TV Shows. I just found a great deal the other day on Amazon for Friend The Complete Collection, so I am going to try and to stop buying TV Shows till I watch all the way through my Friends and some other shows I have. Its hard to do but at least I get what I paid for. Anyone else try to stop at some point?
Old 06-19-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Any Try To Stop Collecting till your unwatched pile is finished?

I'd never be able to buy anything ever again if I stopped.

I do remember there used to be a time where I'd watch something within a week after buying it. Probably somewhere around 7 years ago is when that habit changed.
Old 06-19-10, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I'd never be able to buy anything ever again if I stopped.
Same for me. I honestly like having a lot of unwatched titles, as it guarantees something new to me almost every time.
Old 06-19-10, 07:49 PM
Cool New Member

I don't even get much time to watch movies yet when I have free time, I go to Big Lots, Walmart, and Target and shop on Amazon and eBay to get great deals. The unwatched pile is really piling up but I got DVD's I've seen on Amazon so I try and make money back that way and also save some space in my room. It's like an itch to get more DVD's because there are just so so many out there. I love it!
Old 06-19-10, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No. I like having plenty of "new" movies to watch at any given time. Plus, I don't buy as much as I used to and I review for a site that sends me lots of new titles for free.
Old 06-19-10, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you crazy?! I'm getting the shakes at just the thought. I need a beer.
Old 06-19-10, 08:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am of the conviction that there always be an "unwatched pile." However, such situation is defrayed and made more manageable by waiting to purchase titles during serious sales. Hence why MOST of my purchasing is done in the months of November and December.

I no longer rush to buy the new weekly release. As much as I like to watch the African Queen NOW, I am confident that in a few months I can purchase the title for a price 30-50% lower than what it is being sold for currently.
Old 06-19-10, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smirnoffski
I no longer rush to buy the new weekly release. As much as I like to watch the African Queen NOW, I am confident that in a few months I can purchase the title for a price 30-50% lower than what it is being sold for currently.
That's how I am. The only reason I pick up a new release is if there's an extra coupon to go along with it, like what Disney's been doing.
Old 06-19-10, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

To get down the unwatched pile, not really.
More so because there's not a lot of titles out there I really have to have right now that I don't already have.
Old 06-19-10, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

There's too many "week of release" deals or used finds for me to do that.

However, I have made an effort to not buy so many "eh" titles from the used store recently. I used to never leave the used DVD store without buying "something", but now I either make sure to look for stuff I'm specifically wanting, or wait till they have a sale to buy what I call B-list titles. I now walk out empty-handed more often than not.
Old 06-20-10, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PHMustang2000
...so I am going to try and to stop buying TV Shows till I watch all the way through my Friends and some other shows I have. Its hard to do but at least I get what I paid for. Anyone else try to stop at some point?
thats crazy talk
Old 06-20-10, 12:39 PM
Banned

I couldn't imagine not buying anything "new" when I have a large pile of unwatched stuff. For one, I've actually missed out on a few DVDs at great prices because I decided to wait for a lower price - come to find out it went OOP. So, like EdtheRipper said, I like "always having something 'new' to watch".
Old 06-20-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I've got alot of unwatched discs. I havent really cutailed buying because of it. My buying has slowed down just because I have a decent collection, and now I am very picky about what I will buy. I do try to watch from the unwatched pile when watching discs. I am always trying to get that unwatched pile down.
Old 06-20-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Nope. As others have said....crazy talk
Old 06-20-10, 03:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Nope. As others have said....crazy talk
Ditto. I dont have too many films that are unwatched but I am accumulating alot of tv series that I've yet to watch. And I also agree with what EdtheRipper said as well...always something new to watch!
Old 06-20-10, 04:04 PM
Banned

I never used to have this problem until lately. I used to get a few dvds and watch them in about a week. But the last month or so, I've gotten so much, I'm getting a huge pile of stuff that I haven't gotten to watch. All the Pee Wee's Playhouse stuff, a bunch of movies that are in these quadruple packs I bought, Lost Boys 2, the Carrie blu-ray, the Child's Play blu-ray, The Invention Of Lying, Filmation's Ghostbusters, Robocop blu-ray, The Flintstones movie, Liar Liar, and a bunch of iCarly.
Old 06-20-10, 04:33 PM

Hello! Fresh from the slaughter house poster here.

This would fit into my recent attempt at reducing all the crap I have. It started with action figures and has now moved on to DVDs. We have a ton of movies and TV shows we haven't watched yet, so I've decided if I can easily access it from Netflix than I'm not going to spend money on it. This didn't stop me from purchasing the most recent Family Guy set, but that was an exception. Sometimes I just want to curl up in bed and watch stupid cartoons. It's medicinal when you think about it.

I'm not too worried about having something new to watch. I could probably go the entire summer without having to watch the same thing twice.
Old 06-20-10, 06:57 PM

I find myself buying less on impulse and more by price. The hard part is convincing myself I don't want it just because it's cheap. In the end, no price is better than zero when you pass.
Old 06-20-10, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've definitely cut down on buying new releases.. but with renting from the library I still rarely have time to watch the movies I own. That being said I am looking forward to black friday!
Old 06-20-10, 09:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't buy too many new releases unless I really really liked the movie. I bought Alice in Wonderland, that was probably the first new release I've bought in a while. Unless you count TV shows as new releases because I also bought the newest volume of Family Guy. I tend to stick to catalog titles now, especially BD catalog titles.

EDIT: Over the past 11 months I was forced to cut down on my spending since I was unemployed. I just recently got a new job so I'm already planning on buying a bunch of stuff when I get my first paycheck! I also lost a lot of my collection because I sold a ton of stuff over the past 11 months. I still have over 800 DVDs and over 150 BDs, but I think I sold probably about 100 DVDs maybe more. Not too many BDs though.

Last edited by The Monkees; 06-20-10 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-20-10, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

while i havent stopped I have slowed down.

what helped was i pulled all unwatched dvds out from the shelves and put em on a chair by my player so when im at walmart i dont feel like buying for the sake of buying unless I find really good deals.

If its a new release i need to see i will watch it right away so i dont mind spending the money

and i keep a wishlist for sales when they drop to a price I feel is worth it and doubt theyd get much lower like Dd sale with django, evil toons, four of the apoc for 7$ each and never sleep again for 12
Old 06-21-10, 10:05 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I do wish I bought a bit less, but like having at least a few hundred unwatched titles at all times.

I'm trying to step-up my watching and slow-down my buying, but don't think I'm succeeding.

My main problem is that I'm a hoarder/compulsive shopper, and cheap DVDs are my current crack.
Old 06-21-10, 11:35 AM
Banned

This kind-of fits the thread title, so I won't bother making a new thread.

Has anyone concentrated more on unopened/never-been-watched DVDs instead of say, the previous 1000s you may have stored away? I've been guilty of this, but every now and then I try to go back and watch something I've seen at least once to re-watch. I realize a lot of times it can be cheaper to buy a movie opposed to renting it, which is good and all but is having a shelf or box full of dusty DVDs that you only watched once a good thing?

Some people I've talked to IRL have told me they buy something for $3, watch it once, and take it to a DVD exchange place to swap for another title. This way they don't have many DVDs sitting on a shelf.

Sounds like a neat idea, kind of like Netflix where you pay a premium and keep a title for however long as you want and return for a new one, but this way if you decide you like it a lot you can actually keep it.
Old 06-22-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by supermike07
This kind-of fits the thread title, so I won't bother making a new thread.

Has anyone concentrated more on unopened/never-been-watched DVDs instead of say, the previous 1000s you may have stored away? I've been guilty of this, but every now and then I try to go back and watch something I've seen at least once to re-watch. I realize a lot of times it can be cheaper to buy a movie opposed to renting it, which is good and all but is having a shelf or box full of dusty DVDs that you only watched once a good thing?
Ive been trying to do this lately. Problem is, I get in the mood to watch something from the main collection, rather than something new pretty often.
But I can generally do at least a 2:1 unwatched:watched ratio.
Old 06-22-10, 04:57 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I have made an effort to not buy so many "eh" titles from the used store recently. I used to never leave the used DVD store without buying "something", but now I either make sure to look for stuff I'm specifically wanting, or wait till they have a sale to buy what I call B-list titles. I now walk out empty-handed more often than not.
Same here.....