DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   What "Blind Buy" do you doubt that you will ever get around to watching? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/575346-what-blind-buy-do-you-doubt-you-will-ever-get-around-watching.html)

MrSmearkase 06-17-10 09:01 PM

What "Blind Buy" do you doubt that you will ever get around to watching?

Inspired by a post by Pizza, I figured that this may be a nice compliment to the other 2 Blind Buy threads running right now.

In response to never having seen Futurama prior to buying the DVDs;

Originally Posted by Pizza (Post 10218535)
I had never seen it when i bought it and I still haven't watched it, yet. I'm so-o-o-o behind in my DVD watching.

One of the reasons that I haven't answered the best or worst blind buy threads is that I haven't watched many of them, and seriously doubt that I will anytime soon. TV series that I don't anticipate having the time to watch anytime soon;

Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Angel

I just look at those massive sets on the shelf, and instantly talk myself out of starting out with the series because I just don't have the time to get through it all yet.

The Monkees 06-17-10 09:11 PM

Re: What "Blind Buy" do you doubt that you will ever get around to watching?

Basket Case & Basket Case 2. Been putting it off forever and I have a feeling I will end up selling both eventually without ever watching them. What's odd is that I bought Basket Case twice, I bought it once never watched it and sold it then bought it again (for like $1.49 through Columbia House) and still have never watched it.

There's probably plenty of others I can't think of right now.

EdTheRipper 06-17-10 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 10218616)
One of the reasons that I haven't answered the best or worst blind buy threads is that I haven't watched many of them, and seriously doubt that I will anytime soon. TV series that I don't anticipate having the time to watch anytime soon;

Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Angel

I just look at those massive sets on the shelf, and instantly talk myself out of starting out with the series because I just don't have the time to get through it all yet.

I'm right there with ya. I've got Angel, Buffy, Battlestar Galactica, Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens and That 70's Show all unwatched on my shelves. I got them because the price was right at the time but I just can't find the time to settle in and watch them.

Hazel Motes 06-18-10 12:57 AM

the have the blind buy end all blind buys.

I bought the Fugitive Kind awhile ago, without having ever seen it. I had it on my shelf for at least 6 months, then when it came out on Criterion, I sold my copy without having ever viewed it, and bought it again, on criterion, and still haven't watched it.

I'll watch it soon though.

Also, I made at least 15 Big Lots blind buys, watched 3 or 4, eventually just sold the rest.

milo bloom 06-18-10 09:05 AM

Wicker Man wooden box set. Found it used and got it because it looks neat, but not sure when I'll ever get to it.

All the Living Dead movies besides the first and it's 1990 remake. I even have the Dawn box set, and I've never watched any of the other Romero films or the Return of the Living Dead trilogy, I just keep buying them thinking I'll get to them someday.

Trevor 06-21-10 11:55 AM

I have thousands of blind buys, but plan to watch them all eventually.

If I had to guess though, I'd say that I may never get around to watching all of my exclusive bonus discs. I collect them, even for films/series that I'll never bother with otherwise, but am more satisfied by owning them than by watching them. Sort of like collecting stamps that you'll never mail, or coins you'll never spend.

But the films and TV series? I plan to watch everything I buy.

Road To Ruin 06-21-10 12:07 PM

There are a couple that I've had for years that I eventually saw on cable repeatedly to the point that I'll probably never open. I really need to do some post-spring cleaning of my collection.

UltimateX1 06-21-10 02:24 PM

I received The Simpson's Movie last Christmas on Blu-ray and I still haven't watched it. Just not that into cartoons I guess, although I have heard it was good.

calhoun07 06-21-10 05:31 PM

Rush Hour 1 and 2. I bought them both new for some reason I forget. I realized I was never going to watch them...EVER...recently and threw both discs in the trash.

That Britney Spears movie. For some reason I still have it on my shelf. I forget what it is called and am too lazy to get up and look, but I bought because a girl I knew at the time was into her and I thought it would win points. Still haven't bothered watching it. I was going to throw that away as well then I noticed Zoe Saldana and figured it might be good for a few chuckles one day to put it in and look at her performance in it.

calhoun07 06-21-10 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by UltimateX1 (Post 10224854)
I received The Simpson's Movie last Christmas on Blu-ray and I still haven't watched it. Just not that into cartoons I guess, although I have heard it was good.

That is one movie I've seen too many times myself. I never bought it, though...I've been holding out for a great special edition, but one never seems to be coming.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 06-21-10 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chadm (Post 10219326)
the have the blind buy end all blind buys.

I bought the Fugitive Kind awhile ago, without having ever seen it. I had it on my shelf for at least 6 months, then when it came out on Criterion, I sold my copy without having ever viewed it, and bought it again, on criterion, and still haven't watched it.

I think I can top that.

I bought 28 Days Later when it was released back in Oct 2003, nearly 7 years ago and still haven't watched it.

This month I bought the blu-ray of it, which I still haven't watched.

I also own Bed of Roses which has remained unwatched since I purchased it nearly 11 years ago.

Numes 06-21-10 07:10 PM

The oldest purchased blind buy I have is Darkman II that I bought on 5/17/2002, but I plan on watching that this October.

I scanned my list of unwatched movies, and I truly plan on watching all of them with the exception of Surviving the Game. I bought it as a two pack at Best Buy. It was kind of an anomaly because I almost never buy those crappy 2-packs and I rarely every buy anything at a B&M.

TNAJason 06-21-10 10:52 PM

Well I have quite a few.
The best example is Fight Club which I bought the 2-disc DVD in February of 2004.....and still haven't watched it,and have sold the 2-disc DVD for a Blu-Ray upgrade,yet I haven't even watched the movie yet. I do plan on watching it soon tho as I've been watching 1 thing I haven't seen at least 6 days a week,with an occasional marathon of non-watched blind buys. I mean earlier this month I watched 7 movies I had blind bought in the past in the span of 3 days. Tho it looks like Seven & The Exorcist might follow suit of Fight Club LOL

GenPion 06-21-10 11:38 PM

I'd really rather not answer this question... I'm afraid then that I never will watch some of my blind buys.

JohnnyMovie 06-22-10 12:36 AM

I got 12 "blind-buy" DVD that I count so far that I didn't watch it lately.

PrometheusUFO 06-22-10 07:49 AM

Schindler's List. I believe I even bought it around release date, then it was stolen.. and I bought another copy. And yet I still haven't watched it to this day. :p

Trevor 06-22-10 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by PrometheusUFO (Post 10225895)
Schindler's List. I believe I even bought it around release date, then it was stolen.. and I bought another copy. And yet I still haven't watched it to this day. :p

I put off watching that for 17 years, finally saw it recently. Great film, but doubt I'll re-watch it often.

slop101 06-22-10 11:24 AM

MI-5, aka: Spooks

SterlingBen 06-22-10 11:41 AM

http://www.fullmoondirect.com/thumbn...axx=300&maxy=0
Although looking for pictures for it kinda makes me want to watch it.

Don't remember when I bought it but I did get it at Suncoast maybe a few years before their going out of business sale.

rfduncan 06-22-10 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 10218616)
TV series that I don't anticipate having the time to watch anytime soon;

Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Angel

That is a damn cryin' shame, man. I've watched both series multiple times. Bet you would too. Considering how much they cost, you don't want them just sitting around! I'd sell them off if they are unopened. If you intend to finally watch them SOMEDAY, I would open them ASAP. The Buffy set has been notorious for having duplicates of a disc while missing another. You'll want to at least have that straightened out with FOX before you finally sit down to watch it.

mike7162 06-22-10 12:24 PM

Some time ago, I made the insane decision to collect all of the Criterion titles. I can think of no better reason to dip into the unwatched pile than Criterion, but I fear I may not get to all of them.

DJariya 06-22-10 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07 (Post 10225177)
Rush Hour 1 and 2. I bought them both new for some reason I forget. I realized I was never going to watch them...EVER...recently and threw both discs in the trash.

That Britney Spears movie. For some reason I still have it on my shelf. I forget what it is called and am too lazy to get up and look, but I bought because a girl I knew at the time was into her and I thought it would win points. Still haven't bothered watching it. I was going to throw that away as well then I noticed Zoe Saldana and figured it might be good for a few chuckles one day to put it in and look at her performance in it.

You threw your New Rush Hour discs in the trash? :confused:

Why not donate it to your local library? That's a waste.

EdTheRipper 06-22-10 04:21 PM

I bought Schindler's List on its release date too and have still never watched it. Amazon shows its release as March 9th, 2004. Damn.

mike07 06-22-10 09:46 PM

I saw this sitting on a promo shelf at FYE (b1g1) shortly after it was released and remembered seeing it back in high school, so of course I bought it. Watched it once... Doubt I'd watch it again, good movie but I have too much to watch as it is.

terrible chong 06-22-10 11:03 PM

The Outer Limits - The Original Series (Volumes 1-3)

Lord knows why I bought this box set.