Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Summer Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge 10 - Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-10, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Summer Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge 10 - Discussion Thread

Without spoiling the plot, as I haven't seen it yet, does Shutter Island fall under the fantasy category, or at least have fantasy elements? If it's borderline, like NOES, I'll just use a wildcard.
Old 06-12-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Without spoiling the plot, as I haven't seen it yet, does Shutter Island fall under the fantasy category, or at least have fantasy elements? If it's borderline, like NOES, I'll just use a wildcard.
The plot hinges on a huge suspension of disbelief, but there are no fantasy elements involved.
Old 06-16-10, 08:58 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Yeah, Hollow Earth? I can't think of 1 Hollow earth film outside of Journey to the Center of the Earth. There were nearly 100 Emmanuelle and Bruce Li films, each.
There would also be The Land that Time Forgot and The People that Time Forgot. Both of those are my favorite books by Edgar Rice Burroughs. They just did a remake of The Land that Time Forgot too that's on my unwatched list!
Old 06-21-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

List thread is up and checklist is finalized. Removed some sci-fi items to include fantasy.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/57...st-thread.html
Old 06-21-10, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any self-respecting sci-fi buff ought to pick up a copy of this book. It's a truly exhaustive guide to every, and I mean every science fiction film made between 1895 and 1995, with loads of photos and a wonderfully dry sense of humor. Granted, it's 15 years out of date, but still an essential reference guide. I had a lot of fun reading about all of the films I watched last July.
Old 06-21-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any self-respecting sci-fi buff ought to pick up a copy of this book. It's a truly exhaustive guide to every, and I mean every science fiction film made between 1895 and 1995, with loads of photos and a wonderfully dry sense of humor. Granted, it's 15 years out of date, but still an essential reference guide. I had a lot of fun reading about all of the films I watched last July.
I'd like to get the horror one but not at that price.

It also reminded me of this site, if you're looking for ideas
http://www.movieretriever.com/genre/19/Sci-Fi
http://www.movieretriever.com/genre/10/Fantasy
Old 06-21-10, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just received my dirt-cheap blind-buy Blu-ray of Trick 'r Treat from DD, and I was wondering if it would be acceptable as a Wild Card. Surely it's, er, fantastical?
Old 06-21-10, 04:36 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Just received my dirt-cheap blind-buy Blu-ray of Trick 'r Treat from DD, and I was wondering if it would be acceptable as a Wild Card. Surely it's, er, fantastical?
I think that'd be a bit of a stretch, but like the effort.

I doubt you'll love it, so you could just wait till Halloween and that Challenge. It's decent, just not nearly as great as some of the praise it gets here, imho.
Old 06-21-10, 08:19 PM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in this year. I've been wanting to do this challenge since it began, but things always popped up. They're popping up this year too, I'm going to be on vacation for a week and then going to the SF Silent Film festival (where I'll watch the restored Metropolis... I assume theatrical screenings are okay) so that's nearly half the month gone, so there's no way I'll get to 100. I've got a lot of unwatched SF that I've been dying to screen, and this gives me a good excuse.

Two questions: does SF/Fantasy anime count? Can one movie count as two 'slots' on the checklist? If I watch Metropolis, can I fill that in for "1920's", and "Silent movie"? (I assume that it doesn't or you could fill out half the list with a couple of well selected films, but I thought I'd ask.)

Last edited by John Sinnott; 06-21-10 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-21-10, 08:25 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah, that's a great one. I also love the Horror one. Never got around to getting the Western one.
Old 06-21-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by John Sinnott
I'm in this year. I've been wanting to do this challenge since it began, but things always popped up. They're popping up this year too, I'm going to be on vacation for a week and then going to the SF Silent Film festival (where I'll watch the restored Metropolis) so that's nearly half the month gone, so there's no way I'll get to 100. I've got a lot of unwatched SF that I've been dying to screen, and this gives me a good excuse.

One question: does SF/Fantasy anime count?
Anything that's sci-fi or fantasy counts, so you can count everything at your film festival as well.

On a side note, I'm doing an Animated August challenge, so that anime would count for that challenge, if you were interested.
Old 06-21-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What about For All Mankind? It's a documentary, but it does deal with space travel.
Old 06-21-10, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What about For All Mankind? It's a documentary, but it does deal with space travel.
It's tale of space travel is too realistic for this challenge. Dark Side of the Moon would be more appropriate for this challenge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Si...documentary%29

The tone of the "documentary" begins with low key revelations of NASA working closely with Hollywood at the time of the Moon landings. Over the course of the tale, Karel postulates that not only did Kubrick help the USA fake the moon landings but that he was eventually killed by the CIA to cover up the truth. First hand testimony backing these claims come from Rumsfeld and Dr. Kissinger seems to lend credence to the story.
I'd also consider science educational films and documentaries where the majority of the science presented ended up being wrong with what's currently known as being valid on a case by case basis.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 06-21-10 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-21-10, 08:33 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

It's science fiction if you think that we didn't go to the moon. Otherwise it's good for the Historical Challenge.
Old 06-21-10, 08:34 PM

I'll join in this year. I probably won't go crazy on it but I've been looking for an excuse to go through my Outer Limits boxset and there's a few other movies I haven't checked out yet so I'll probably at least get to all those.
Old 06-21-10, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just goes to show you can't trust Donald Rumsfeld.
Old 06-22-10, 01:42 AM

Will Sci-Fi/Fantasy anime count as part of this challenge?
Old 06-22-10, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazinTy
Will Sci-Fi/Fantasy anime count as part of this challenge?
Absolutely, animated SF/fantasy counts. There's even an animation category in the checklist.

I wondered, do serials from the 30s count as one movie?

Last edited by Gobear; 06-22-10 at 02:20 AM.
Old 06-22-10, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gobear
Those are calculated by running time, like TV shows.
Old 06-22-10, 08:33 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
See post #1 for all the time/count rules.
Old 06-22-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I decided I'll make this the summer of Babylon 5. I own everything but Lost Tales, so that should account for 67.5 total entries if I can get through the entire collection. Sprinkle in some additional movies and TV series and I'll see if I can crack 100 again.
Old 06-22-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
I decided I'll make this the summer of Babylon 5. I own everything but Lost Tales, so that should account for 67.5 total entries if I can get through the entire collection. Sprinkle in some additional movies and TV series and I'll see if I can crack 100 again.
My favorite TV show of all time

This may be a dumb comment, but I'm assuming you have the movie collection, too? Make sure and watch the pilot first. There is also a prequel movie, I would suggest not watching that until the point at which it originally aired. In fact, everything can be watched in broadcast order, FYI.

Also, depending on how serious you want to get, I would highly suggest reading the Lurker's Guide entry after each episode. Back when B5 originally aired, the writer/creater of B5 would get on newsgroups and comment on the episode for fans every week. Those are captured here as well as some analysis/questions/etc... It is all captured as it was originally written, so there are no spoilers.

Lurker's Guide
Old 06-22-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Numes
My favorite TV show of all time

This may be a dumb comment, but I'm assuming you have the movie collection, too? Make sure and watch the pilot first. There is also a prequel movie, I would suggest not watching that until the point at which it originally aired. In fact, everything can be watched in broadcast order, FYI.

Also, depending on how serious you want to get, I would highly suggest reading the Lurker's Guide entry after each episode. Back when B5 originally aired, the writer/creater of B5 would get on newsgroups and comment on the episode for fans every week. Those are captured here as well as some analysis/questions/etc... It is all captured as it was originally written, so there are no spoilers.

Lurker's Guide
Oh I've already seen it all before, and it's my favorite series of all time as well.

It's been several years since I've watched it though, and even longer since I watched Crusade and Legend of the Rangers, so I figure this would be a good opportunity to relive the magic.
Old 06-22-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Oh I've already seen it all before, and it's my favorite series of all time as well.

It's been several years since I've watched it though, and even longer since I watched Crusade and Legend of the Rangers, so I figure this would be a good opportunity to relive the magic.
Ahhh... ok. Well, it will be good information for someone else, perhaps.

It's been 2 years for me since I last watched the series. I still want to finish the Stargate shows, though, so I'm thinking next year will be time to watch B5 again.
Old 06-22-10, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Yeah, Hollow Earth? I can't think of 1 Hollow earth film outside of Journey to the Center of the Earth. There were nearly 100 Emmanuelle and Bruce Li films, each.
UNKNOWN WORLD (1951) is sort of a hollow earth film. This group of scientists burrow to the center of the earth in what is basically a submersible with one of those drill things in the front. Pretty good for a low-budget movie.

ATRAGON and GODZILLA VS. MEGALON deal with civilizations inside the earth, although maybe not a hollow earth.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.