Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Catalog of DVD Cataloging Software

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: What are you currently primarily using to do DVD cataloging?
Delicious Library [Mac-only]
2.64%
DVD Aficionado [Online]
18.94%
DVD Profiler
40.09%
DVDPedia [Mac-only]
2.64%
Movie Collector (Collectorz)
6.17%
Movienizer
0%
My Movies (mymovies.dk)
1.32%
Personal Video Database (PVD)
1.32%
ReaderwareVW
0%
Another of the many programs not in this poll
5.73%
Your own spreadsheet/table (such as MS Excel or Google Docs)
7.93%
Your own database (such as MS Access)
1.32%
Your own custom webpage (not generated by another program)
0%
Hand-written list
3.08%
Nothing, but I'm interested in starting (or starting again)
7.05%
Nothing, and I'm not interested in starting
1.76%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Catalog of DVD Cataloging Software

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-11, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Catalog of DVD Cataloging Software

Interesting info. MisterPeep. Your list looks fantastic, so I will have to try and do the same once I get my act together.
Old 03-15-11, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i personally like my movies. I can add movies on my phone, and they will automatically update in my computer, or vice versa. I can also view my movies online.
Old 03-19-11, 07:37 PM

Does anybody use a scanner to put in your DVD's?. If so what scanner or what site?
Old 03-20-11, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

bar code scanner?
Old 03-26-11, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by schbee
Does anybody use a scanner to put in your DVD's?. If so what scanner or what site?
I use an old CueCat barcode scanner that I got from Radio Shack years ago, you can pick them up from ebay. I use DVD Profiler Software.
Old 03-31-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Collectorz also supports CueCat, although mine is sitting in a closet somewhere. I type stuff and fine things easy enough but I could see where it would come in handy if you had a large stack or were just starting out with software.

There's also a sale going on.

Alwin here. Last day of March, so my last chance to write the March edition
of the Collectorz.com newsletter. The topics today:

* Spring Sale : tell your friends!
* Welcome CD Trustee users!
* 18 hours left on the iPad 2 celebration sale
* Very close now: Comic Collector for Mac OS X
* Small update for Movie Collector 7.1 for Windows

** Spring Sale : tell your friends! **

It's spring, which means: Spring clearance!
Our warehouse is filled to the brim with stacks and stacks of downloads,
our office has boxes of license emails in every room... Time to clean up!

So here it is, the Collectorz.com Spring Sale:

* All PC & Mac software HALF PRICE : http://clz.com/spring

This sale ends on Sunday April 10, 23:59 (EST), so don't miss out.
Also, why not tell your friends and family about it, by email, on Facebook,
on Twitter, on your favorite forum, etc... Just give em this link:

http://clz.com/spring

(BTW: The last time we did a sale like this, you could only get Pro editions
half price. Plus, if you wanted more than 1, you had to place multiple orders.
Not anymore. We finally got our act together and fixed our shop. You can now
buy as many half price products as you want in 1 purchase, Pro *or* Standard.)

** Welcome to all CD Trustee users! **

CD Trustee has been a competitor of Music Collector for years. But Mike Paulick,
the author, is now retiring and will not be supporting CD Trustee anymore.

So Mike has been working together with our programmer Ronald.
They created a seamless import tool that lets users switch
to Music Collector without losing their CD database and cover art:

http://www.collectorz.com/music/cdtrustee.php

Collectorz.com has also bought the base40.com domain, former home of CD Trustee.

Hundreds of CD Trustee users have already made the switch, so WELCOME to them!

** 18 hours left on the iPad 2 celebration sale **

Last week the iPad 2 was finally released in the Netherlands too.
To celebrate, we started a 1-week celebration sale: all iPad apps for $4.99.
Today is the final day of this sale, only 18 hours left.

Go here to get your iPad app half price: http://collectorz.com/ipad-apps.php
(or just search the App Store for "clz", but make sure to get the HD version!)

** Very close now: Comic Collector for Mac OS X **

We had some setbacks again (programmers down with the flu, testers swamped
with support tickets ...), but the release is getting very close now.
We added our mobile developer Pim to the CmC Mac team and he's now assisting
Dinh, working hard to make our new deadline: April 19.

http://www.collectorz.com/comic/macpreview.php

** Small update for Movie Collector 7.1 for Windows **

This week, Ronald has released a nice update for Movie Collector 7.1,
bringing two enhancements:
- Title Search Results in the Add Automatically screen are now presented
in a "tree panel", making it easier to find the correct movie.
"Expand" a movie entry to see the various DVD and Blu-Ray editions.
- New installer system. We finally got rid of the old-skool installer and
moved to using InnoSetup. AJ has created some nice graphics for it too.

The new installer will be implemented for all Windows products in the
upcoming updates. The Add Auto tree panel is coming to Game Collector soon.

Enjoy!
Old 04-27-11, 01:43 AM
Cool New Member

Movie Collector good.
Old 04-27-11, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

after all my looking around.. and the fact I have a PC and not Mac... I landed on Movie Collector... by Collectorz... .. It seems to have all I wanted and more.. and is very customizable for any way I want to slice my collection.. It also does all movie formats.. and has the ability to be customizable to include any that aren't there .... enjoy.
Old 09-25-11, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Which has been the best DVD builder that is free? I'm using DVD Profiler and it isn't bad, but it seems like there is no way I can list my movies A-Z which will be a problem if I wanted to take the list to me at a store to make sure I don't buy the same movie.
Old 09-28-11, 01:20 AM

I was using DVDspot till that vanished 3 years ago? I haven't really been interested in having to go through all that work all over again. I did photocopy everything from dvdspot, but have failed to keep everything updated. Lately I have really been thinking of catagorizing all the dvds if for no other reason than to keep a record of possessions for insurance purposes if anything should happen........god forbid
Old 10-09-11, 07:41 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Wish I could change my initial poll vote from hand-written list to DVD Profiler. I still do both but since I acquired DVD Profiler, it's been a godsend. Took a little time to figure out how I wanted to arrange my collection, but once I got it figured out, it was all good to go. It's been a snap entering by UPC, once entered I look over the details quickly to make sure it's what I want, then move it to its alphabetical position in the list. Everything neat and tidy (except for the individual discs from each season of each series, which I didn't want to count as 1, they appear at the end of my online list however and don't get in the way). All in all a worthwhile investment. -kd5-
Old 11-02-11, 02:35 PM

Several years back when I thought about tracking my DVD Collection (and CDs) I found a great site GuzzleFish. Unfortunately that went the way of the Dodo bird about a year or two after I had found it. Later I found a decent site for DVDs DVDSpot and that was the best freesite I had found till that point. Not only was it a great collection tracking site it had a great sense of community. Alas it was bought out by a big company and then the corporate heads shut it down a couple of years ago.

A few of the DVDSpot refugees started their own forumsite so I have that sense of community but there isn't a collection tracker there.

Anyway the closest site I've found since as far as the looks and feel or the Spot is ********, but they take a long time to get stuff updated. I also use DVDAfficianado but that takes almost forever to get updated. Plus there is a problem of the main version when added is defalted to Blu-ray which I haven't upgraded to and probably won't.

I use as my main site DVDProfiler. It isn't perfect but most of my collection is accurate there. Most new discs get added in a reasonable amount of time. My biggest problems though are with the occasional cover variation or the UPC code being a Target Exclusive, or my ancient regular issue has been upgraded by someone who doesn't know what they are doing when making updates (or their change by committe went with the brand combined version). I probably could add updates changes but you have to have all 100% accurate information for every single detail and can't miss anything or they will decline your submission.
Old 11-28-11, 08:06 PM

I love and use itrackmine.com. It's property-loss .csv insurance reports, current and paid price tracking, and loaning features are incredibly useful, but the fact that my collection, absent the materials I select as private, is so easily shareable and trackable and easy to manage has been a lifesaver.

I have used a huge variety of cataloging services. itrackimine.com is the best since Guzzlefish, and it it better even. I don't like dvdaf, or any of the other free services, for any number of reasons, but have been only mildly frustrated on occasion, and often very impressed, by the thought and responsiveness of itrackmine.com

Vachchuneta.
Old 12-06-11, 02:15 PM

Crap - DVDCorral seems to be down for a few days now...

Anyone thought of incorporating a free online database into DVDTalk? Bear with me here - in order for this type of cataloging site to be successful it needs to have staying power which means a strong online community and it has to be more than just a list of owned movies - stats, reviews, where to buy, member ability to trade/sell, active forum, etc. I know of two really good examples that have managed to incorporate all of these elements with an inventory database:

comicbookrealm.com
boardgamegeek.com

Comicbookrealm is just fantastic - database entries are member driven using member status incentives - check the site out if you have a moment - if merely to imagine what a real Movie Cataloging site could be like...

Secret of both is that they are community driven but have a system in place to allow member contributions through user incentives and the key is an ordered process for ensuring quality control of member submissions to the database. Pulling a database from Amazon just doesn't work since it can't account for out of print titles or subtle variations in titles which really matter and of course matching proper covers, etc.
Old 12-30-11, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

After about a dozen years of buying DVDs, I'm finally considering cataloging my collection. It's getting harder to remember things like which volume of which season of Rawhide I own.

I'm leaning toward just making my own spreadsheet, but am wondering if any of these services are reliable at detailing things like anamorphic vs. non-anamorphic widescreen. Examples: most of my Hong Kong collection is only widescreen (which sucks!) & I've never upgraded my old Image Midnight Run to the newer anamorphic Universal disc. It would be helpful to keep track of that.

Also, do any of them go into enough detail that you could easily list or search by semi-obscure things like cinematographer or studio?
Old 01-14-12, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Lokimok
After about a dozen years of buying DVDs, I'm finally considering cataloging my collection. It's getting harder to remember things like which volume of which season of Rawhide I own.

I'm leaning toward just making my own spreadsheet, but am wondering if any of these services are reliable at detailing things like anamorphic vs. non-anamorphic widescreen. Examples: most of my Hong Kong collection is only widescreen (which sucks!) & I've never upgraded my old Image Midnight Run to the newer anamorphic Universal disc. It would be helpful to keep track of that.

Also, do any of them go into enough detail that you could easily list or search by semi-obscure things like cinematographer or studio?
DVD Profiler allows you to search those terms and by terms you set.
Old 01-25-12, 12:06 AM

What's the benifet to DVDAF?
Old 01-25-12, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lokimok

I know Movie Collector does studio but I'm not sure, since it's not in front of me, if it does cinematographer. Stuff like namorphic vs. non-anamorphic widescreen is tracked as well.
Old 01-26-12, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Movie Collector does have a cinematographer field as well as two user definable fields that you can use for custom crew additions.
Old 02-13-12, 01:04 PM

I use my movies too.
Old 03-21-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVDAf has an updated layout now.
Old 08-22-12, 07:40 PM

To all those who are unsure about my movies.dk

I absolutely love this program. I have been using it for years. I have purchased both the iOS and Android version for $4.99 each. I'm not 100% sure how the points work or what they are for, but I do know I have full functionality for the program. I can add movies either in my phone, my tablet or my computer and it stays synced between all devices. There is also an online collection you can view as well. Anytime I have problems I email a moderator and have a response within a day. If an item is not in the database, which happen rarely, it's easy to add it whether your on your phone or computer. You can also report missin titles and they will add them to the database. There is a function to export your collection. It's easy to search your collection as well. There are lots of pre-made filters to sort your collection as well as customizable ones as well.

If anyone has questions I would be more than happy to answer them involving my expiernce with this program.
Old 09-17-12, 05:20 PM

Quick question, I just downloaded Movie Collector for Mac but I'm having one major issue that's bugging me.

I have my 2 folders for my Blu-ray collection and DVD collection but in the left column all my movie titles have the year the DVD or Blu-ray was released in next to them and I want to see the year the movie was actually released. How can I make this adjustment? It's driving me nuts so any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Kenny22; 09-17-12 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-17-12, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kenny22
Quick question, I just downloaded Movie Collector for Mac but I'm having one major issue that's bugging me.

I have my 2 folders for my Blu-ray collection and DVD collection but in the left column all my movie titles have the year the DVD or Blu-ray was released in next to them and I want to see the year the movie was actually released. How can I make this adjustment? It's driving me nuts so any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!
I'm not home, so I'm basing this off memory. The way it's setup now is you're using Release Year when you want to be using Movie Release Year. Release Year is when that specific DVD/Blu-ray/etc came out. You change it somewhere under the View menu. If nobody else jumps in, I can check specifics when I get home soon.
Old 09-17-12, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I'm not home, so I'm basing this off memory. The way it's setup now is you're using Release Year when you want to be using Movie Release Year. Release Year is when that specific DVD/Blu-ray/etc came out. You change it somewhere under the View menu. If nobody else jumps in, I can check specifics when I get home soon.
If you could walk me through this when you get home, I'd really appreciate it!

As of right now, I go to View > Folders > Choose Folder Fields and in "Selected Folders" I only have Format in there which gives me my "Blu-ray Disc" folder and my "DVD" folder. When dropping them down I see my titles listed alphabetically with the year the DVD/Blu-ray was released and I just want to see the actual year the film was originally released instead.

Doing what you said, it just gets rid of my films alphabetically and instead shows a list of years when the specific DVD edition was released. I'd really appreciate your help if you don't mind.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.