Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Catalog of DVD Cataloging Software

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: What are you currently primarily using to do DVD cataloging?
Delicious Library [Mac-only]
2.64%
DVD Aficionado [Online]
18.94%
DVD Profiler
40.09%
DVDPedia [Mac-only]
2.64%
Movie Collector (Collectorz)
6.17%
Movienizer
0%
My Movies (mymovies.dk)
1.32%
Personal Video Database (PVD)
1.32%
ReaderwareVW
0%
Another of the many programs not in this poll
5.73%
Your own spreadsheet/table (such as MS Excel or Google Docs)
7.93%
Your own database (such as MS Access)
1.32%
Your own custom webpage (not generated by another program)
0%
Hand-written list
3.08%
Nothing, but I'm interested in starting (or starting again)
7.05%
Nothing, and I'm not interested in starting
1.76%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Catalog of DVD Cataloging Software

Old 06-03-10, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Catalog of DVD Cataloging Software

Originally Posted by kd5
XI is a 30 day trial.
Supposedly the 'Standard' edition with fewer features (the list sounded like it might not be anything I'd miss) isn't 30-day limited. Did you try that one?

VisualDivX looks promising, but here again, it has no online functionality (beyond importing movie data).

I wish the UPC import function of Movie Organizer (MOODb) would've worked, that one had online functionality: "Upload your movie collection online and get your own URL to your collection., the fact that it hasn't been updated since January 20, 2009 also concerns me.
I'm personally not looking for online sharing, so will still take a look at VisualDivX.

My Movies appears to give you basic online functionality with the option to purchase "points" which give you the ability to customize your online list. You can also purchase "points" to customize other aspects of the application:

http://www.mymovies.dk/how-to/writte...iring%20Points

That one can get pricey if you require additional functionality...

Just my additional .02 cents worth, -kd5-
Yeah, to get My Movies free with full functionality, the catch is to make contributions to earn the points without paying. Not the right option for someone looking for zero hassle, certainly. I'd be willing to give it a shot myself, as it doesn't appear to have as much of an "OMG PITA" reputation like DVD Profiler's contribution process.
(Edit: I've looked into My Movies further tonight, and decided against it myself now too. It would require making 60 movie contributions with 100% of the data including scans, or a whole lot more partial contributions, to earn enough points for the full functionality. Apparently the existing users have filled out a heck of a lot of movies to 100% or close to it already, making it increasingly difficult to find movies you own with any remaining opportunity to contribute, much less 60 with zero existing data. Someone with a collection like Trevor's could surely achieve that, but not I.
Also, its import/export capabilities are less versatile, and its reporting/printing capabilities are less usable, than I'd like.
And although they don't appear to have people voting contributions up or down like DVD Profiler does, they do have a similar detailed set of guidelines and moderators who for contributions deemed inadequate will deduct points from people's accounts, warn people, or even close people's accounts which locks you out of the software. No thanks, I'm not eager to get into that either. And it looks like the program only uses their own database, just like DVD Profiler, so not really my preferred multi-source scenario anyway. Still could be good for people who does enjoy walking the tightrope of contribution, as their contributions here would earn more features, rather than paying for DVD Profiler and contributing for free.)

If you want one with seamless integration between desktop software and online sharing, I'm not sure there really are any other free options beyond the outdated MOODB (which I see I didn't notate its online ability, will go back and add that) and the point-requiring My Movies, so that need might drive you back to buying DVD Profiler. If you're willing, you might want to try expanding your search to see if there's an online-only program that can easily import data in a format that a desktop-only program can export.

Last edited by Gatherer; 06-04-10 at 12:50 AM. Reason: changed my mind about My Movies
Old 06-04-10, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just ran across http://plone.org/products/videotheque It's free and grabs info from imdb.
Old 06-04-10, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I just ran across http://plone.org/products/videotheque It's free and grabs info from imdb.
Wow, one I missed! Not a very high-interest one since it's been sitting in alpha state since 2007, but I'll go ahead and add it to my list. Thanks.

Edit: And here's one more added, similarly a 'set up on your own web server' program from 2007: VCD-db http://vcddb.konni.com/

Last edited by Gatherer; 06-04-10 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-04-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used and really liked movie Collector(collectorz.com) but it was a trial. Not bad at all but I don't think it's worth the $50 they are asking.

DVD Profiler is very similar.. loses some features after 50 titles, but most of the stuff you really need continues on the "free" version. I think if you want to keep all the features it's $30. It does have the UPC entry too.. I was able to enter 300 titles in just over an hour.. So it does fly that way.

DVD aficianado was the original program I used and really like it, but from what I can tell it doesn't have an "offline" feature.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (03-09-20)
Old 06-04-10, 11:27 PM

The next one I've looked into is MBase. Reading through its forum, the programmer seems to have a bit of motivation issues. MBase only retrieves data from IMDB (I'd prefer more than one source capability), and the last time its IMDB parsing needed updating a few months ago, the programmer didn't get the update out for ~3 weeks (could be worse, certainly, but a bit concerning with only the one source). And there are a number of feature requests, several of which I'd want to have (e.g. I'd really like to have custom fields capability; and it lacks importing beyond its own XML exports - I don't have anything I need to import right now, but it feels like a notable gap to me), which he hasn't gotten around to for 1-2 years since the requests. The features it does have look very nicely done (lovely graphs, for example), but I think I'll keep checking out others hoping for a better fit for my preferences.

Last edited by Gatherer; 06-04-10 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-04-10, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I'm using Profiler, but that's mainly because I paid the $25 many years ago and it's a lifetime license. Looks like inflation has caught up and kicked the price up to $30. I will say that I've been using it for almost 10 years now and I can't say that about any other piece of software that didn't expect me to kick in more money for upgrades.
Trevor (03-09-20)
Old 06-05-10, 12:01 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

My wife saw me trying out all these free DVD cataloging applications, saw me uninstall them one by one, knew that my favorite was DVD Profiler, and decided to give me an early birthday present.

I'm well pleased... -kd5-
Old 06-06-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone know if DVDAf is still planning on a new version that was mentioned a year or so ago? Noticed that they deleted their previous forum and the new one, their roadmap sections, etc. don't seem to be as updated.
Trevor (03-09-20)
Old 06-07-10, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by kd5
My wife saw me trying out all these free DVD cataloging applications, saw me uninstall them one by one, knew that my favorite was DVD Profiler, and decided to give me an early birthday present.

I'm well pleased... -kd5-
There's a nice solution
Old 06-11-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After the loss of DVD Spot, I didn't catalog anywhere. However, I just recently re-upped everything into DVDAf. Now I wish they'd release an iPhone app so I can have quick access to my collection on the fly.
Old 06-17-10, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what's the best movie catalog for iphone/itouch?

i installed movie collectorz but there's already 22 movie in "my" collection and can't be removed. The functions also are not working.
Trevor (03-09-20)
Old 06-20-10, 07:27 AM

Some people complain Personal Video Database (PVD) is too basic. Well, to me it's simply the best freeware out there and the only one that successfully imported my DB from collectorz.com.
Yes, it's still in beta phase but it's very promising, customizable and the support team is impeccable.
Trevor (03-09-20)
Old 06-20-10, 10:18 AM

I bought DVDProfiler after DVDSpot shut down. I love DVDProfiler and could not imagine ever using anything else. You can view your collection online. I have an Iphone and I have it bookmarked so I can view my collection anytime, anywhere. You can sort it alphabetically or by collection number. I could not recommend it enough.
Old 06-21-10, 09:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatherer
Great! I agree with SteveA, your results will be eagerly awaited, alongside kd5's experiences.
I await the results too! I'd be surprised if I get to it before January.
Old 06-21-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FYI: Movie Collector www.collectorz.com is 50% off until august.
Old 06-21-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

My understanding was that all the collectorz programs were 50% off for those that bought another title previously. So for example... I bought Movie Collector and wanted Music Collector.. That would give me 50% of Music Collector. Still a great deal for those that already have one or more of their products..
Old 06-21-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by b2net
My understanding was that all the collectorz programs were 50% off for those that bought another title previously. So for example... I bought Movie Collector and wanted Music Collector.. That would give me 50% of Music Collector. Still a great deal for those that already have one or more of their products..
Shows what happens when you don't read the entire email.
Old 06-26-10, 10:49 AM

I use dvdaf.com right now but is there catalog (online) that can actually generate a spreadsheet. Definitely want a generated spreadsheet to put it on my cel phone, so I can look at the document while at a store and not accidentally purchase titles I have already.
Trevor (03-09-20)
Old 06-27-10, 02:09 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
I await the results too! I'd be surprised if I get to it before January.
Trevor, I honestly think that with as many DVDs as you have, you would be MUCH further ahead to spring for DVD Profiler. With DVD Profiler, all you do is enter the UPC# and the application imports all the pertinent data for you (including cover art). Then, if you want to you can go back and edit profiles for the individual DVDs (for instance, there were a few that I felt their genre classifications didn't match what I thought they should be so I changed them, but for the most part they were spot on).

I know you can do some of these things with the free apps as well but with DVD Profiler you can track loaned DVDs, print reports based on genre, there are plugins to extend its capabilities (you can print a report which establishes a dollar value to your collection for insurance purposes) etc., etc., etc. One of the things I like is being able to upload my collection online and show them off to anyone who's interested. The advantage to DVD Profiler is that you have your collection in a database on your computer AND you can upload them online and show them off. Best of both worlds. I really like that much of the data you'll enter manually with many of the free apps is imported automatically (including cover art) with DVD Profiler, it's a major time saver. With any of these applications you'll have your work cut out for you with as many DVDs as you have, but with DVD Profiler you can cut that time down CONSIDERABLY.

I'm glad my wife decided to give DVD Profiler to me as an early birthday present, I really didn't want to spend the $30. But I gotta tell ya, it's worth every penny of it.

Just my humble opinion, -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 06-27-10 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-27-10, 03:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
Trevor, I honestly think that with as many DVDs as you have, you would be MUCH further ahead to spring for DVD Profiler. With DVD Profiler, all you do is enter the UPC# and the application imports all the pertinent data for you (including cover art). Then, if you want to you can go back and edit profiles for the individual DVDs (for instance, there were a few that I felt their genre classifications didn't match what I thought they should be so I changed them, but for the most part they were spot on).

I know you can do some of these things with the free apps as well but with DVD Profiler you can track loaned DVDs, print reports based on genre, there are plugins to extend its capabilities (you can print a report which establishes a dollar value to your collection for insurance purposes) etc., etc., etc. One of the things I like is being able to upload my collection online and show them off to anyone who's interested. The advantage to DVD Profiler is that you have your collection in a database on your computer AND you can upload them online and show them off. Best of both worlds. I really like that much of the data you'll enter manually with many of the free apps is imported automatically (including cover art) with DVD Profiler, it's a major time saver. With any of these applications you'll have your work cut out for you with as many DVDs as you have, but with DVD Profiler you can cut that time down CONSIDERABLY.

I'm glad my wife decided to give DVD Profiler to me as an early birthday present, I really didn't want to spend the $30. But I gotta tell ya, it's worth every penny of it.

Just my humble opinion, -kd5-
Thanks. You're probably right and I should just go with Profiler. What's $30 when I've invested so much in this hobby? I apologize to all who have been hearing (reading) me debate my options for a couple years now.

I think you're off a bit on how little the other options do, or how much data you have to enter manually. I think most of them are very similar, you only click the title or enter the UPC and all the data is there for you.

My problem is time/laziness. I have been working tons of overtime all year, and when I do have days off, spending dozens of hours re-doing my database is not my first priority.
Old 06-28-10, 09:10 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
I think you're off a bit on how little the other options do, or how much data you have to enter manually. I think most of them are very similar, you only click the title or enter the UPC and all the data is there for you.
The ones I tried required more effort than I was willing to commit to them. Each DVD required that you either search out and enter your own data, or type out the entire name of the movie, choose between several results, then enter additional information for each DVD, some of the apps more than others. Some would import data that I felt was inappropriate for the DVD in question and would then require editing that data. Very few of them imported cover art, many required that you search out your own cover art which seemed to me to be more of a PITA than it was worth. There was only one of the free apps that gave me the ability to enter via UPC code and that only worked once. I just thought that with as many DVDs as you have, a minimum of effort would be essential.

I probably didn't give the ones I evaluated a fair trial but my patience was somewhat lacking and my frustration was mounting. While they may suffice for some (with more patience than I), they didn't suffice for me. Also, I only got to try 6 or 7 of them before my wife announced she was going to buy DVD Profiler for me as an early birthday present, at which time I opted to abandon my search. -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 06-28-10 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-28-10, 09:48 AM

There is also a plugin for Profiler which allows you to import a massive list of UPC numbers. Very handy for large collections, assuming that information is available.
Old 06-29-10, 08:47 AM

Any suggestions on how to organize a large DVD collection would be appreciated. I have approxiamtely 300 dvds store bought and another 100 or so home versions of movies and other things I wanted to record a copy of for my own personal use, along with at leat 150 VCR recordings. I tried hand written lists but when I moved misplaced them. As I get setteld in my new home, I am trying to come up with a system to keep tract of what I have and it's general location---ie dvd tower in den, dvd tower master br, and dvd tower, studey, bookcase den, book case study, tv entretainment center. Any sugestion son the easiest way to to this would be appreciated. My old pc use to have the capabiltiy to imprint on dvds, but my new pc does not have this option so I will have to develope a labelng system for the ever growing dvd recorder disks. As things stand now, I can no longer recall what I have and where to locate it.
Trevor (03-09-20)
Old 06-29-10, 10:26 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Greatbear100
Any suggestions on how to organize a large DVD collection would be appreciated. I have approxiamtely 300 dvds store bought and another 100 or so home versions of movies and other things I wanted to record a copy of for my own personal use, along with at leat 150 VCR recordings. I tried hand written lists but when I moved misplaced them. As I get setteld in my new home, I am trying to come up with a system to keep tract of what I have and it's general location---ie dvd tower in den, dvd tower master br, and dvd tower, studey, bookcase den, book case study, tv entretainment center. Any sugestion son the easiest way to to this would be appreciated. My old pc use to have the capabiltiy to imprint on dvds, but my new pc does not have this option so I will have to develope a labelng system for the ever growing dvd recorder disks. As things stand now, I can no longer recall what I have and where to locate it.
Not exactly the right thread, this one is for DVD database applications, but as far as organization, I have one of these:

http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Oxfo..._Bookcase/150/

6-shelf 48" wide in Merlot, it'll hold about 400 DVDs (including TV shows), and I'm running out of room in mine... -kd5-
Old 06-29-10, 03:47 PM
Cool New Member

Wish I would've found this thread a month ago, I just finished making an inventory in Excel....
Trevor (03-09-20)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.