DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dick Tracy(1990) - Special Edition?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Dick Tracy(1990) - Special Edition?

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
And I live for the day that Beatty's once-planned VISTA series content sees the light of day. Hell, I was excited when I came across a CD single of Madonna's "Hanky Panky" at Half Price Books several months ago. (You're damn right I bought it!)
Why wouldn't you just buy the "I'm Breathless" CD? It is actually quite good.

The movie was actually quite good on all levels. I never did understand why it didn't do better in the theater. The story worked, the acting was decent, the cameos were everywhere and the overall production style was just flawless. It really looked like a Dick Tracy comic. Disney released it as a "bargain" title on DVD but the picture is animorphic and includes a DTS surround track - which is much more than anyone could have hoped. Otherwise it is barebones. Still a great movie. I watch it repeatedly.
Old 06-23-10, 02:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Geek moment/story:

As a huge comic book fan back at release, I was there on opening night at some theater in Arlington iirc. Had pre-bought a t-shirt that was the actual ticket getting one into theater.
Old 06-24-10, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Had pre-bought a t-shirt that was the actual ticket getting one into theater.
I still have that t-shirt.
Old 06-24-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Why wouldn't you just buy the "I'm Breathless" CD? It is actually quite good.
I already owned that on CD, as well as Danny Elfman's score, the various artists soundtrack album and the CD single of Ice-T's "Dick Tracy."

The movie was actually quite good on all levels. I never did understand why it didn't do better in the theater.
"Alright, let's see your numbers, Numbers."

Theatrical Performance
Total US Gross $103,738,726
International Gross $59,000,000
Worldwide Gross $162,738,726

Production Budget $47,000,000

It looks like the movie made most of its money in three weeks, then faded from the top 10 after another month. It was released 15 June, and only one other movie opened that week, Gremlins 2: The New Batch. Otherwise, the top ten consisted of:
  1. Dick Tracy - new release
  2. Another 48 Hrs. - which opened the previous week and had been #1
  3. Total Recall - 17 days old
  4. Gremlins 2: The New Batch - new release
  5. Back to the Future, Part III - 25 days old
  6. Pretty Woman - 87 days old
  7. Bird on a Wire - 31 days old
  8. The Adventures of Milo and Otis - 297 days old (!)
  9. Cadillac Man - 31 days old
  10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 80 days old

By Dick Tracy's fourth week of release, though, the competition looked like this:
  1. Die Hard 2 - new release
  2. Days of Thunder - 12 days old
  3. Dick Tracy - 24 days old
  4. Jetsons: The Movie - new release
  5. Total Recall - 38 days old
  6. Another 48 Hrs. - 31 days old
  7. RoboCop 2 - 17 days old
  8. Ghost Dad - 10 days old
  9. Gremlins 2: The New Batch - 24 days old
  10. Pretty Woman - 108 days old

Two things I notice. Firstly, Dick Tracy fared better than Gremlins 2, released the same day, as well as Another 48 Hrs., which had a week head start on it. Secondly, it was part of the June wave of movies which seems to have simply given way to the July wave. I don't know that anyone expected it to perform like Pretty Woman had (or that anyone expected Pretty Woman to perform the way it had), but it was #9 on the year-end box office list, and #12 worldwide. Not too shabby.

The sense that it under-performed came from Jeffrey Katzenberg, who publicly lamented that he felt Disney had spent too much money developing--and promoting--the movie trying to chase Batman's numbers from the year before. They did spend a fortune on advertising (reports vary, but some say they spent more promoting than making the movie), but I would counter that Warren Beatty's production budget was about 1/4 of what its worldwide gross was. That's a pretty good return. How far carried away Katzenberg and his executives got trying to chase Batman is their own fault.
Old 06-24-10, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Yes, a lot of major characters are reduced to cameos, disappointing long-time fans. And it's always easy to make jokes about Madonna, but you know what? I thought she was perfect as Breathless Mahoney. She sounded great on the Sondheim songs, and really vamped up the acting for the character...which actually fit Gould's creation.

Funny, this long time fan (well--I was 11 but had all the strips that were released in book form at that point and had read them a hundred times) thought this was one of the best aspects of the movie. I got a real kick out of picking out the rogues gallery as they appeared, even if it was only briefly. I'd rather see them for a second than not at all.

I do remember my inner geek moaning at the time about how they changed the Blank but I finally realized the movie version was actually more interesting plot wise than the strip one.

Can still picture Madonna from the neck down and the waist up in that black dress.
Old 06-24-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

no shit! so do I
Old 06-25-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, I still have the teaser poster framed on my wall. I have the video release standee and the Dick Tracy badge. It's one of the films that I thought fitted the VISTA ideal perfectly.

The BFI in London had a comic book season last year and I went to see this again and it brought back some great memories.
Old 03-28-11, 09:11 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Read that Beatty just won the court case over the rights to Dick Tracy so it looks like this could be released on Blu-Ray soon and he plans on doing more with the property (in order to keep the rights).
Old 03-28-11, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
Read that Beatty just won the court case over the rights to Dick Tracy so it looks like this could be released on Blu-Ray soon and he plans on doing more with the property (in order to keep the rights).
I gotta tell you; when I got the e-mail about this thread just now, I was prepared to really be pissed at a no-news bump. This is awesome and very welcome news!
Old 03-28-11, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even without the actual announcement of a Blu-Ray or SE, that is very welcome news, since Beatty seems genuinely interested in revisiting the character...
Old 03-28-11, 11:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
Read that Beatty just won the court case over the rights to Dick Tracy and he plans on doing more with the property (in order to keep the rights).
Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Beatty seems genuinely interested in revisiting the character...
Would be nice to see him direct or even act in something, I think the last thing I've seen him in was Bulworth which is over 10 years old.

Has he been in retirement? Or focusing on other things?
Old 03-28-11, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kenshiro
Would be nice to see him direct or even act in something, I think the last thing I've seen him in was Bulworth which is over 10 years old.

Has he been in retirement? Or focusing on other things?
I don't think it's a formal retirement, so much as he just hasn't felt like acting in quite a while. But then, he'd had a prolonged bachelorhood until he got involved with Annette Bening. I think he's just enjoying the family life.
Old 03-28-11, 11:32 PM
Banned

I'd love a special edition blu-ray with a commentary and making of. The colours of the dvd are incredible. They're so bright and vivid. Can't wait to see what they'll look like on blu-ray. And I'd love to see a sequel for Dick Tracy. Maybe it could be in the late 50s or early 60s and has Dick come out of retirement to help catch one of his old enemies or something.
Old 03-28-11, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I'd love a special edition blu-ray with a commentary and making of. The colours of the dvd are incredible. They're so bright and vivid. Can't wait to see what they'll look like on blu-ray. And I'd love to see a sequel for Dick Tracy. Maybe it could be in the late 50s or early 60s and has Dick come out of retirement to help catch one of his old enemies or something.
Remember when they did something like that with Indiana Jones? Do you want Tracy discovering aliens?
Old 03-29-11, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

cool but long it will take them to make a SE now?..
Old 03-29-11, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by animatedude
cool but long it will take them to make a SE now?..
The SE was done and ready to go as a VISTA Series release before the theatrical barebones version was released without explanation.
Old 03-29-11, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by burnside986
Remember when they did something like that with Indiana Jones? Do you want Tracy discovering aliens?

LOL that actually happened in the strip...Junior meets Moon Maid....Dick Tracy jumped the sci-fi shark before Indy!
Old 03-29-11, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe a sequel where Warren Beatty plays Dick Tracy, but most of the movie is filled with racist stereotype detectives doing all the work for him....
Old 03-29-11, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love this movie, and thought it was better than either of the Burton Batman movies.
Old 03-29-11, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Kinda off topic, but I was preparing to donate some of my late grandmother's things to the Goodwill earlier this week. I discovered a huge stack of Dick Tracy "Crimestopper Game" scratch-offs from McDonald's in one of her old wallets.

But yeah, I'd totally be down for a director's cut blu-ray. I broke down and bought the DVD for $3 a couple years back after waiting years for the special edition.
Old 03-29-11, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I love this movie, and thought it was better than either of the Burton Batman movies.
Batman is nearly mythical for me, it left such an impact, but I'll take Dick Tracy over most of the other Bat-movies and Superman movies, as well. Incidentally, in 2009 a local theater screened Dick Tracy and I was able to attend. I missed its original theatrical run, so it was especially rewarding for me to finally see it on the big screen. The colors really popped, and I cannot wait for the (hopefully now inevitable) Blu-ray release!
Old 03-29-11, 04:29 PM
Banned

An extra feature that would be great would be if they included a disc with some of the first Dick Tracy strips or, even better, all the strips in chronological order.
Old 03-29-11, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did some searching and found the story where the Vista Series dvd was first mentioned. AICN.com

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/10382

Wow, I'm not a grammar expert and make mistakes myself, but Jesus that was a horrible report. Something tells me that story was a joke.
Old 03-29-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
An extra feature that would be great would be if they included a disc with some of the first Dick Tracy strips or, even better, all the strips in chronological order.
I wouldn't be interested; I'm a tactile reader and I prefer to be able to hold whatever I'm reading, be it prose or graphic in nature. In case you care, though, IDW has been publishing collected editions of The Complete Dick Tracy for a couple years now and from what I hear they've done a really good job with them.

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
I did some searching and found the story where the Vista Series dvd was first mentioned. AICN.com

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/10382

Wow, I'm not a grammar expert and make mistakes myself, but Jesus that was a horrible report. Something tells me that story was a joke.
I despise Ain't It Cool News and all they stand for--I'm convinced that they are directly responsible for enabling the perception studio execs have that they need to pander to audiences, which has only diluted the already dubious quality of Hollywood productions in the last decade. I took the bait, though, and...wow. You're right. That was atrocious! My personal favorite:

Although the Beatty had final cut he decided to tone it down in fear that it would'nt appeal to familys...
I think henceforth I shall refer to him as "The Beatty." I kinda dig that.
Old 04-28-11, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
The Rocketeer could get a re-release when Captain America comes out next year. Same director.

At least that's what I'm hoping!
ONE YEAR LATER......

I know this is in the Dick Tracy Thread but there was a brief discussion/hope that the Rocketeer would/should get a re-release. And since no official word has been given, I didn't see a reason to create a new Thread to get everyone's hopes up. But this is a good step in the right direction.

Anyways - The Rocketeer 20th Anniversary is coming to the El Capitan on June 21st!!!!

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/...cast-and-crew/

‘The Rocketeer’ returns to El Capitan with cast and crew
April 27, 2011 | 10:28 a.m.

This post has been corrected. See note at bottom for details.

The 20th anniversary of Disney’s serial-spirited adventure ”The Rocketeer” will be celebrated June 21 with a special screening and an exhibit of props and costumes, as well as a cast and creator reunion panel that will be moderated by filmmaker Kevin Smith. The entire program is being staged by D23, the paid-membership club that offers deeper, prestige access and archival-minded events to Disney fans.

There’s no word yet on the lineup of that panel, but it and the screening will take place at El Capitan Theatre – the same site where the underrated film premiered on June 21, 1991, and marked the movie palace’s grand reopening after a two-year remodeling and restoration that took it back to its gilded, Art Deco origins. “The Rocketeer,” a commercial disappointment at the time of original release, has a bit of extra resonance right now — Far East Movement has a big hit with a song that borrows the title and wild-blue-yonder imagery, and the film’s director, Joe Johnston, is back in retro adventure mode with “Captain America: The First Avenger,” opening in July as one of the big films of the summer. The anniversary event also will be tinged with sadness due to a key absence – Dave Stevens, the creator of “The Rocketeer,” died in 2008 at age 52.

“The Rocketeer” starred Bill Campbell as stunt pilot Cliff Secord, who comes into possession of a jet-rocket backpack that sends him flying into adventure (and comedy). Terry O’Quinn, later known for “Lost,” plays Howard Hughes, and later Oscar-winner Jennifer Connelly captures the playful pinup-girl spirit of the Stevens comic books. The memorable supporting cast also includes a dastardly Timothy Dalton, Alan Arkin and Paul Sorvino.

After the screening, guests will be invited around the corner to the Hollywood Museum in the old Max Factor Building, where a special exhibit of “The Rocketeer” props and costumes from the Disney Archive will be on display and limited-edition collectibles will be available for purchase. The price for the panel, screening and exhibit is $50 per ticket. Fans with a D23 membership can purchase tickets beginning May 2, remaining tickets will be available to the general public beginning May 23.

For the record, 11:57 a.m. April 27: An earlier version of this post said you had to be a D23 member to buy tickets. Membership is required to take part in the pre-sale of tickets.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 04-28-11 at 09:11 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.